• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Goddamn. Yakuza 0 made me cry... (SPOILERS)

GreyHorace

As I stated in a previous thread, I'm pretty much new to the Yakuza series and thought I'd start with the prequel. Now I wasn't wholly unfamiliar with what the games had to offer. It's been well documented how the series shifts tone from serious crime drama/beat em' up to wacky collection of mini games.

2115501579615401.jpg

That said, I wasn't prepared for how powerful and emotionally gut wrenching Yakuza 0's story would get once it's plot kicked into high gear. I actually teared up at multiple points in the game, especially when the character of Makoto is involved.

Screen_Shot_2019-03-16_at_11_Fotor-8939.png

In a title full of reprobates and scum that populate the criminal underworld, it's Makoto and her tragic backstory that has us emotionally invested with the game's plot. And she also serves to contrasts the protagonists, Kiryu and Majima, from all the other yakuza who look to use Makoto for their own ends. Kiryu and Majima emerge as the true heroes who are more concerned with her well being and safety.

It all leads up to some truly tragic moments, like when Makoto is finally reunited with her elder brother Tachibana, who dies in Kiryu's arms after being tortured by the Dojima clan.

And then the ending. What more can I say? It's brilliant. A bittersweet conclusion to Majima and Makoto's story where the former let's go of the latter for the sake of her safety and happiness.

I was floored by how this great this game's story turned out to be. IMO, it's one of best narratives of any title I've played in the last generation. I'd easily rank it with The Witcher 3 and Red Dead Redemption 2 as one of the greatest storylines in gaming.

marcincz

Its easily the best Yakuza, and is a landmark achievement for the medium in my opinion. I've loved the series for years but 0 is a truly special game. This is evidenced by the fact that my wife likes watching me play, games she enjoys watching are truly rare.
Agree.
I am a big fan of Yakuza from PS2 times, but Y0 is the best part in the series. Young heroes in 80s and beginning of their journey on the top. Very interesting bosses and fights with them, good story. For me quintessence od Yakuza games.

Kuranghi

Should I play this instead of Days Gone next? I was just a bit put off by the masses of text and cutscenes at the beginning, I know story is a big focus so I don't expect that to change too much but does it at least slow down and let me mess around soon?

I was laughing my ass off at the drunks fighting though, that was superb. "BEAT THE DRUNKENNESS OUT OF THESE PEOPLE" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I don't really want another giant open world after I finish Ghost of Tsushima so Days Gone is putting me off. This game is pretty giant too though isn't it?

OP:

Billy Crystal Crying GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

Moriah20

Should I play this instead of Days Gone next? I was just a bit put off by the masses of text and cutscenes at the beginning, I know story is a big focus so I don't expect that to change too much but does it at least slow down and let me mess around soon?

I was laughing my ass off at the drunks fighting though, that was superb. "BEAT THE DRUNKENNESS OUT OF THESE PEOPLE" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I don't really want another giant open world after I finish Ghost of Tsushima so Days Gone is putting me off. This game is pretty giant too though isn't it?

OP:

I like Days Gone.

Yakuza 0 however is a treasure. And the game can be completed in under 25 hours if you don't do too much side content, however the side quests in Y0 are mostly really fun and the side games are really enjoyable. It's a very unique series, and Y0 might very well be the best entry.
I'd say that Y0 has fantastic pacing, but it's definitely very cutscene heavy, but the writing is fantastic so, yeah. Only thing is.... be warned, not everything is voice acted. The main story is 99% voice acted but the sub stories are all text boxes. It isn't a bad thing but it may take a bit of getting used to.

Days Gone's first 5-6 hours are a complete slog to get through, sadly.

Kuranghi

I like Days Gone.

Yakuza 0 however is a treasure. And the game can be completed in under 25 hours if you don't do too much side content, however the side quests in Y0 are mostly really fun and the side games are really enjoyable. It's a very unique series, and Y0 might very well be the best entry.
I'd say that Y0 has fantastic pacing, but it's definitely very cutscene heavy, but the writing is fantastic so, yeah. Only thing is.... be warned, not everything is voice acted. The main story is 99% voice acted but the sub stories are all text boxes. It isn't a bad thing but it may take a bit of getting used to.

Days Gone's first 5-6 hours are a complete slog to get through, sadly.

Yeah Days Gone first hour felt like the first 10 minutes of the tutorial of any other game. I'll take your advice and try Yakuza 0 instead!

I thought it was way longer than that tbh, like 100 hours to do "everything", sounds like you can do the main and side missions in 40 or so (Unless the side quests take longer than the main quest, but I'm assuming not) hours.

I did notice the rapid change between text boxes and VO'd dialogue but I can handle it, I don't generally do other things while I game anyway, maybe half listening to something but thats it.

Is there anything I should do asap when I get free reign of the open world in Y0? No spoilers obviously please, but if its something that really helps me out in the early game I'd appreciate knowing I should make a beeline towards it. I don't mind the game being trivially easy if it makes it more fun, by getting a strong item early on.

GymWolf

OP:

I like days gone but yakuza is just the superior game, not in every aspect but yeah.
And yes, if you are bored of gigantic open worlds, days gone is not for you at the moment, and i even like the initial hours that people hate so much for some reasons...

The game opens up after a couple of heavy story chapters.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
I forgot there was a main story because I spent so much time trying to crush my business rivals and run a cabaret club, oh and fishing, man yakuza 0 is a great game

GymWolf

I forgot there was a main story because I spent so much time trying to crush my business rivals and run a cabaret club, oh and fishing, man yakuza 0 is a great game
Cabaret club is legit masterpiece tier minigame even if it's pretty easy by the end.

When a grown up man lose hours switching dresses and jewels to upgrade a fucking stats with this music in the background, you know devs did a good work.

Leopard obaba FTW.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

And yes, yakuza 0 is perfectly on par with stuff like rdr2 or w3 main campaign and shit from great heights on stuff like tlou2.
Funny you mentioned The Crap of Us 2. While that game is praised by SJWs for it's so called progressive agenda, Yakuza 0 would no doubt trigger them with how MANLY it is. Everything about the game drips with testosterone as per the series trademark. The boss fights alone are worth the price of admission for how macho the introductions are.

And I haven't mentioned the hostess club, which would probably have the feminazis screaming for high hills about women being sexually exploited. Despite the fact that the game makes it clear that there's no sex involved with the club.

yakuza-0.jpg

GymWolf

Funny you mentioned The Crap of Us 2. While that game is praised by SJWs for it's so called progressive agenda, Yakuza 0 would no doubt trigger them with how MANLY it is. Everything about the game drips with testosterone as per the series trademark. The boss fights alone are worth the price of admission for how macho the introductions are.

And I haven't mentioned the hostess club, which would probably have the feminazis screaming for high hills about women being sexually exploited. Despite the fact that the game makes it clear that there's no sex involved with the club.

yakuza-0.jpg

Yeah the game is a big middle finger to some modern games and their fucking agenda.

Also, yakuza 0 actually has good characters that you love and remember and not a cast of annoying bitches like tlou2, kuze alone (not even my favourite character in the game) is better than all ND villains in ALL their games combined (and then some)

Last edited:
I played Yakuza 0 last year for the first time, after wanting to start the series for years. Fantastic game with two of the best protagonists in gaming, especially Majima. Both are about people finding want they want both in and against the world (the Yakuza culture), and they come to remarkably different yet identical conclusions. Tachibana and Makoto's story are woven perfectly into both stories, and Kuze, Awano, and Shibusawa give the base Kiryu and Majima build off of - adherence to honor, living as you want, and pursuing personal justice.

Cabaret club is legit masterpiece tier minigame even if it's pretty easy by the end.

When a grown up man lose hours switching dresses and jewels to upgrade a fucking stats with this music in the background, you know devs did a good work.

Leopard obaba FTW.

Pledge of Demon is great too, but Oath is just fantastic. It's the perfect culmination to Kiryu's relationship with Kuze - from hatred to admiration.

GametimeUK

I really have 0 time for Japanese games these days. When I say that I mean games that are stylised. I used to think it was cool as a kid, but it's all cringe worthy to me now. I also despise subtitles...

but OMFG I wasn't ready for Yakuza 0. It walked a tight line between redicious / camp and serious drama. I loved everything about the game and story. I'm also not fond of games over 10 hours long but this had me playing through its lengthy campaign in massive sessions without ever losing my attention. Fuck sake I even appreciated the weebness which isn't like me at all. The way Kiryu answers the phone in The Phoneclub dating section had me creasing with laughter.

Like you said, the game had an impact on me emotionally too. The game is quality and on paper it's everything that makes me cringe and everything I don't want in my games anymore. I honestly can't believe how much I should hate this game, but yet it's one of my fave games of last gen. My first and last Yakuza game as I don't think I could stomach them all as they're very lengthy, but I'm satisfied with 0.

GreyHorace

I played Yakuza 0 last year for the first time, after wanting to start the series for years. Fantastic game with two of the best protagonists in gaming, especially Majima.
I liked them both equally, but I'd give the edge to Majima in this game having the superior narrative. His storyline with Makoto is the emotional core of the game that really grabs you and what makes it great. And this being a prequel, it's a interesting journey to see him evolve from a morally conflicted and tortured soul trying to find his place in life.

8e5e877762a9698cf3334eda6ab54f86.png

To become the crazed lunatic that he would be known as in the later games.

71Bxwa0tw5L._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg

Tachibana and Makoto's story are woven perfectly into both stories, and Kuze, Awano, and Shibusawa give the base Kiryu and Majima build off of - adherence to honor, living as you want, and pursuing personal justice.
Eh. I don't know if Kiryu would ever look up to those guys role models, considering how they tried to kill him and screw him over numerous times in the game. They're great characters to be sure, but they're pretty much scum as well. And I'm happy that the Yakuza team got real life actors known for playing Yakuza on film to portray them.

tumblr_inline_p7qybmvZYG1qfr4u9_400.jpg

Kiryu's role model will always be Shintaro Kazama.

Shintaro-Kazama.jpg

Pledge of demon is so good.

I enjoyed Yakuza 0 so much I went on to catch up on the whole series. Just finished Yakuza 6 last week. Unfortunately I didn't play Yakuza 7 (I watched the story on youtube like a movie) but still enjoyed the hell out of it.

I liked them both equally, but I'd give the edge to Majima in this game having the superior narrative. His storyline with Makoto is the emotional core of the game that really grabs you and what makes it great. And this being a prequel, it's a interesting journey to see him evolve from a morally conflicted and tortured soul trying to find his place in life.

8e5e877762a9698cf3334eda6ab54f86.png

To become the crazed lunatic that he would be known as in the later games.

71Bxwa0tw5L._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg

Eh. I don't know if Kiryu would ever look up to those guys role models, considering how they tried to kill him and screw him over numerous times in the game. They're great characters to be sure, but they're pretty much scum as well. And I'm happy that the Yakuza team got real life actors known for playing Yakuza on film to portray them.

tumblr_inline_p7qybmvZYG1qfr4u9_400.jpg

Kiryu's role model will always be Shintaro Kazama.

Shintaro-Kazama.jpg

What I meant was that Kuze, Awano, and Shibusawa each represent an extreme of those ideas that Kiryu and Majima are put into conflict against in the story, and what develops them as characters in the game. Kiryu to a lesser degree because he is a stoic badass, of course, but Kuze was almost completely focused on upholding the Yakuza honor code, so he gave Kiryu, who has honor focused around a personal concept of justice, a foil. Kuze's honor supercedes his own sense of justice, which we get small hints at in scenes like when he kills the guy who struck Tachibana in the head. After their last fight, you can tell that both have accepted the other, and there is a grudging admiration. Their conflict was about distinguishing their senses of honor and what drives them.

Awano was all about doing what he wants as a Yakuza, but with a lack of honor and justice. I kind of wish he had interacted more with Majima through the story, but Majima had several different characters who had the same role. They all showed Majima how he wanted to live freely, but just like Kiryu this was tempered by his own idea of justice. Him giving up Makoto was what distinguished him from Awano or Nishitani or Sagawa.

This is just my perspective from 0.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

My only complaint with the game is that they could have nailed the 80s vibe better...give it that Black Rain-esque vibe, this has Yakuza all over it!

HotPocket69

Banned
If you guys really tear up MULTIPLE times during this shit, I suggest therapy, anti depressants, a piece of pussy or maybe all of the above. Christ lol

And yes I have played the Yakuza games.

Last edited:

lachesis

I also just finished the game a few days ago. Logged in 111 hours. Nearly did everything besides some mini games.

I really enjoyed the storyline but there are several things that felt way too rushed... especially the relationship between Majima and Nishitani, and what Nishitani does, actually made me cringe little bit - because they only saw each other like exactly 2 times... Majima and Nishitani. (I guess Nishitani is the prototype Majima)

Kiryu and Makoto trust also felt a bit too rushed too. Some parts felt more fully fleshed out in storytelling (which was awesome), but some part just felt like it rushed too quickly. Perhaps to keep the story moving and keep the pace of it - but they could have done it better job.

But other than that - I thought story was quite well done, with many memorable scenes. All the voice acting was top notch, although I guess that Chinese speaking done by Japanese VA were pretty laughable to native Chinese... :) Some very moving scenes too - I especially liked the story how Majima meets Makoto, all the way up to the street corner where Makoto is holding onto Majima's leg. Nicely done scene, and from that point - I was pretty fired up, all the way to the ending... which also left me a good lasting impression.

I was going to take a break from Yakuza before jumping into Yakuza Kiwami - but I just had to go right into it after seeing the ending. (Oh my, what happened to the Pocket Circuit Fighter.. lol)

Compared to Zero, Kiwami feels small. (which is fine, I guess) - but will see how it would surprise me, especially compared to the original PS2 Ryuga Gotoku. I see they added more of Nishikiyama's side.. so hope it will deliver more of that and emotional punch better than the original PS2 ver.

Fantastic OP. Agree with everything you said.

It's the game that catapulted Yakuza to be my second favorite game series (after Resident Evil).

I think most gamers should experience Yakuza 0 at some point, if they have the chance. The game is fantastic on all fronts.

As OP mentioned, so many good scenes between Majima and Makoto. The takoyaki scene... my god. What a scene.

(Skip to about the 5:30 minute mark if you're impatient).

The game does a great job with both protagonists; however I feel like most people would bias towards Majima. Even though he is technically the secondary protagonist (Kiryu is the main protagonist, after all), Majima has:

- The better and more fun fighting styles
- Disproportionately better side stories. The "be my boyfriend" side story alone is probably funnier/better than almost anything on the Kiryu side.
- The more fun of the two major mini games. I absolutely loved the Real Estate mini game, but the Cabaret Club stuff is almost on another level altogether. (And, as good as it is in 0, it's taken up to 11 and it's even better in Kiwami 2!!)
- The better dialogue
- A more dynamic personality

One of my absolutely favorite games of all time.

Last edited:
Speaking of the Cabaret Club mini game, real talk: The Obatarian is fucking Overpowered. She raked in some serious cash for me.

In case people don't know who the Obatarian is, it's this lady:

Top Bottom