• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godfall: Challenger Edition launches December 7

Bryank75

Banned
It's not that they're going after MP games, they're going after BAD MP games. Sony really needs their own on-going game like Sea of Thieves. There's nothing wrong with a MP game if it's something like Sea of Thieves that continues to improve the game three years after launch:

Sony could have their own R6 Siege with SOCOM. Hell they could make a Starhawk game like No Man's Sky that could be their own Sea of Thieves. Instead they're paying for exclusives on shit like Godfall and buying the devs of garbage like Destruction All Stars.

Well, if you remember back to when Rocket League launched, it actually started on PS+.....but Sony let them get bought by Epic. That game was fire in a bottle.

They could have easily put in all the Twisted Metal cars and everything else in there and had a world cup tournament with national colors on cars etc.

Singstar is shut down and was incredibly popular with girls and families and they let F1 go to Codemasters after years with Liverpool.

I agree that Socom could be huge but I think they are going to try and shoehorn Killzone in as the IP again due to Hermen being in charge and it will just flop. Socom could be incredible and is a huge chance to do something really different with levels with under-water approaches, destructible bridges and other structures etc.
It could be highly dynamic...

I just don't know if Sony has it in them now to pull it off though.

Jim seems to be so focused on cutting costs and increasing margins at the expense of quality, value and customer happiness that I constantly expect the worst from them now.

Sorry to be a downer today!

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
hey at least they know no one wants to play the game, good on them for just skipping it all.

ManaByte

Well, if you remember back to when Rocket League launched, it actually started on PS+.....but Sony let them get bought by Epic. That game was fire in a bottle.

They could have easily put in all the Twisted Metal cars and everything else in there and had a world cup tournament with national colors on cars etc.

Singstar is shut down and was incredibly popular with girls and families and they let F1 go to Codemasters after years with Liverpool.

I agree that Socom could be huge but I think they are going to try and shoehorn Killzone in as the IP again due to Hermen being in charge and it will just flop. Socom could be incredible and is a huge chance to do something really different with levels with under-water approaches, destructible bridges and other structures etc.
It could be highly dynamic...

I just don't know if Sony has it in them now to pull it off though.

Jim seems to be so focused on cutting costs and increasing margins at the expense of quality, value and customer happiness that I constantly expect the worst from them now.

Sorry to be a downer today!

Sony has the IPs to do great MP games. In the 2022 shooter environment, SOCOM could be HUGE. After Battlefield and the tepid CoD response there's a big hole open for a modern military shooter. Even brining back Killzone would be welcome and Shadow Fall was a great jump for the game after the PS2/PS3 games that felt much slower. They should be looking at their own IPs and not stuff like Godfall. I have zero faith in the Firewalk game based on the studio leadership there.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Sony has the IPs to do great MP games. In the 2022 shooter environment, SOCOM could be HUGE. After Battlefield and the tepid CoD response there's a big hole open for a modern military shooter. Even brining back Killzone would be welcome and Shadow Fall was a great jump for the game after the PS2/PS3 games that felt much slower. They should be looking at their own IPs and not stuff like Godfall. I have zero faith in the Firewalk game based on the studio leadership there.

Oh, is that the guys from COD zombies?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I see Sony has learned nothing from the DriveClub PS+ edition debacle.

This aint it chief. Just pay up for the full game. You are making billions of PS+. Sometimes its ok to pay extra for a new game.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
randy-pitchford-claims-godfall-ascended-edition-is-the-first-manufactured-ps5-game-in-the-world-4.jpg

Lets goooooooo

iHaunter

They made the deal and it is becoming a trend that since Jim took over they have been going for these terrible multiplayer focused games, like this and Destruction Allstars, several others too and then forcing PS studios to focus more on multiplayer.

Every move PS has made since Jim came in has been one to increase margins and cut costs, the art and quality doesn't seem to be even in the top 3 priorities anymore.
Games going to PC was enough for me to see he didn't understand one thing about the console model or about the customers he is supposed to be serving.

PS is not far off just being a blue version of xbox these days. Except Xbox at least offer value.... PS now doesn't have proper exclusives, is more expensive than everywhere else and has the worst communication and PR with fans and the worst customer service in the industry.

Did Jim give you a wedgy and take your lunch money or what?

It's okay, you can tell us.

Esca

I was legit looking forward to trying out godfall as it isn't a game I'd but but want to try. But this? Fuck off Sony, this is a shitty move on your part you cheap bastards

Reactions: TLZ
I...just don't know how to feel. Everything I've read says the story is as bare bones as it gets and getting to end game is a repetitive slog - Being able to pass that and just right into end game sounds kinda nice. And yet we're still getting an incomplete version of the game, which sucks, especially for those who want a plat from it. Guess we'll see.

ElCasual

They made the deal and it is becoming a trend that since Jim took over they have been going for these terrible multiplayer focused games, like this and Destruction Allstars, several others too and then forcing PS studios to focus more on multiplayer.

Every move PS has made since Jim came in has been one to increase margins and cut costs, the art and quality doesn't seem to be even in the top 3 priorities anymore.
Games going to PC was enough for me to see he didn't understand one thing about the console model or about the customers he is supposed to be serving.

PS is not far off just being a blue version of xbox these days. Except Xbox at least offer value.... PS now doesn't have proper exclusives, is more expensive than everywhere else and has the worst communication and PR with fans and the worst customer service in the industry.
Jim Ryan the new Don Mattrick Prime.

Inviusx

That's actually a pretty smart move. Obviously they think the campaign is the weakest part of the game and probably see a huge drop off of players who start and never get close to finishing but probably had the intention of wanting to get to the end game.

I will try this.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Launching an endgame demo at the same time as they release Plus and then pretending it's a full game to include in the subscription is the lowest Sony has ever gone on Plus, as far as I remember from the ~10 years I've subscribed to the service.

Let's just hope this gets extensively covered by all the high profile twitch and youtube gaming reviewers / influencers. I'm angry at the thought that Sony is getting away with this crap.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I'm not even going to bother redeeming this - don't want to give them the satisfaction
I’m right there with you.

the game sounds like it’s pretty shit anyway, but I would have redeemed it and gave it a whirl if it was you know….. “the actual game”

this is some shitty moves by gearbox/Sony and I will not redeem this out of principle.

they’re essentially giving away a demo as one of their titles for PSPlus and that is truly pathetic. Their numbers are up and stable so why not actually stop being greedy fucks and get some decent games on there.

oldergamer

I warned people about this game. There was a lot of overhype with it being PlayStation exclusive that was unwarranted. We've been burned too many times by gearbox. I'm still waiting for the version of brothers in arms that matched the video they showed years ago.

G-Bus

Banned
Yeah this is bullshit, me and a mate held off buying it when it was discounted because we heard this was coming on PS+, and they put up a fucking demo? Garbage.

Still discounted in the store at $35 for the digital deluxe edition.

Really confused by this offering on PS+. So this isn't the full game. They make it sound like it's just an option for the end game thing.

Topher

Gold Member
I mean that’s all you really need in a loot grind game. In most loot grind games the story is straight trash anyway.

So you get all the loot automatically without having to do any of the grinding. Where is the fun in that? I've played plenty of games where the story was "trash" but the game was still fun to play.

There is nothing about this that makes sense.

Justin9mm

It's very obvious the dev and publisher did not want to give the game for free and are using Plus to generate additional sales. People will try it out because it's free but I doubt there will be many additional sales at the expense of hurting Sony's reputation and their own. People are angry about this and Sony should not have agreed to it.

Not defending the decision but most games like this really only begin once you reach max level anyhow

Its still a shitty move by Sony

Why is this by Sony?

Eh?.... The mental gymnastics of some of you in this thread.

The dev themselves are the ones who sat down and decided to start carving content out of their game in order to include it on PS+.

Do you guys really think Sony specifically offered them money to provide a carved up cadaver of a game for the Dec PS+ if the full game was on the table?

"Sony: Hey dev, we'd like your game on PS+ for the month of Dec. We're willing to pay you X amount.
Dev: Sure, Sony.
Sony: I know, maybe only give us half the game. That'll piss off Bryank75 Bryank75 some more and increase his hate boner for Jim. We just like fucking with him.
Dev: Sure, Sony. That's a great idea."

Is this really how you thought this went?!? REALLY!?!?.... Wut!

Or don't you think, Sony offered them money for the full game, and the dev said, "well we don't wanna give you the full game but would rather expend even more dev resources carving this shit up so we can sell PS the rest as a MTX. We like nickel and diming fuckers."

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Why is this by Sony?

The dev themselves are the ones who sat down and decided to start carving content out of their game in order to include it on PS+.

Do you guys really think Sony specifically offered them money to provide a carved up cadaver of a game for the Dec PS+ if the full game was on the table?

"Sony: Hey dev, we'd like your game on PS+ for the month of Dec. We're willing to pay you X amount.
Sony: I know, maybe only give us half the game. That'll piss off Bryank75 Bryank75 some more and increase his hate boner for Jim. We just like fucking with him.

Or don't you think, Sony offered them money for the full game, and the dev said, "well we don't wanna give you the full game but would rather expend even more dev resources carving this shit up so we can sell PS the rest as a MTX. We like nickel and diming fuckers."
Very true I doubt Sony has much say what gets released on their system from first party especially whats getting put on PS+

Judge Judy Reaction GIF

Aenima

Very true I doubt Sony has much say what gets released on their system from first party especially whats getting put on PS+

Judge Judy Reaction GIF
Lol Godfall is not a 1st party game or published by Sony.
They control what they put on PS+, but Sony has nothing to do with the decision to create this stripped out version of the game.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Really disjointed decision; most of the reviews said the campaign was nothing to write home about however one would assume the endgame content has a level requirement? With this version are you just skipping all that?

What a shitty move by Sony.
fuck me, that’s a new low

. . .what? It's an odd move but we're still talking about a free game, a version of which is available for 24 bucks if you like the - again - free stuff.

More like Godfall: Mentally Challenged Edition.

Missed it by about five hours.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
So I understand the disappointment... But at the same time I've yet to hear anyone mention the story as anything to remember. I hope someone who has played can weigh in on this.

So assuming the story is rubbish, what do we lose? The grinding and organic unlock progression?

I'm definitely on the unhappy side of the equation, but maybe it's not the end of the world. I was more upset at the bullshit that was FF7R for free while Intergrade was locked for PS5 players.

Topher

Gold Member
Why is this by Sony?

Nothing goes on PS+ without Sony signing off on it. The devs can offer whatever they want but Sony has to say yes. Sony knew full well what they were offering this month. This is on them.

Who Knows Idk GIF

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Nothing goes on PS+ without Sony signing off on it. The devs can offer whatever they want but Sony has to say yes. Sony knew full well what they were offering this month. This is on them.
Well the fact that Randy Pitchford might have been involved makes me think he bamboozled Sony by telling them he'd put a "new and improved version of the game releasing specifically for Plus".

Though at best this would make Sony criminally naive.

Topher

Gold Member
Well the fact that Randy Pitchford might have been involved makes me think he bamboozled Sony by telling them he'd put a "new and improved version of the game releasing specifically for Plus".

Though at best this would make Sony criminally naive.

Not a good look either way.

Belthazar

I was considering giving this game a chance... But kinda of a crappy move giving out just a demo on ps+... Do they really think the game is such a huge success that they would be losing potential customers by making it all available?

Last edited:
So you get all the loot automatically without having to do any of the grinding. Where is the fun in that? I've played plenty of games where the story was "trash" but the game was still fun to play.

There is nothing about this that makes sense.
At end game you get the loot that matters. The loot you start off with is just that…loot that makes you level prepared for the stuff that matters.

people do this all the time in games like world of Warcraft, destiny and final fantasy 14.

Top Bottom