• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godfall: Challenger Edition to be sold standalone for $15

Drizzlehell

Banned
The concept of a demo/trial edition is to get people to play it first and then buy it if they like it - no?
But since when PS Plus is the place to peddle your demos instead offering full games like literally every other developer?

They can suck on deez nutz.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Well if this goes well expect demos and betas to change name and a charge added in the future.
Isn’t every recent PS+ offering since Fall guys or maybe even before had a game with MTX?

It amaze me how this industry had every shady business tactics out there.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Sony greenlighted to put this trial version on PS Plus instead of a full game, so it's Sony's fault too.

Facts! But all our energy should be put towards the devs of this game, instead of Sony. At the end of the day they made this call.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Who cares what they call it?

It's terrible value.
Epic is offering this demo for free (really free to keep forever, not part of a paid rental service that you lose if you stop paying), and we know it's bad value because it's far from the best Epic has offered in the past months.

I was looking forward to play the campaign with some friends and if we liked it we might have paid for DLCs like me and my friends did for so many games in the past.
But this thing I'm not even going to redeem.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Can you share those free PS+ codes that Sony must be giving you? They make me pay for these games.

If you are paying for PS+ for the games and not the functionality then, I dunno what to tell you. The games given out to PS+ subscribers are not and have never been the point of the subscription.

It’s not free. Surely, you understand this.

Are you, as a PS+ subscriber, being charged extra for this game?

NickFire

If you are paying for PS+ for the games and not the functionality then, I dunno what to tell you. The games given out to PS+ subscribers are not and have never been the point of the subscription.

It's always cute when someone pretends to be smarter than the rest of us while making an objectively FALSE claim.

Look up when PS+ started. Then look up when PS+ was needed for multiplayer. See what came first, and then give yourself a swirly mid wipe.

SafeOrAlone

Banned

You don't seem to understand that everything you receive as part of your PS+ subscription is taken into account when Sony decides on the price for PS+.
You are paying for it.

If you stop paying for PS+, you will no longer get it. It's really that simple.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
It's always cute when someone pretends to be smarter than the rest of us while making an objectively FALSE claim.

Look up when PS+ started. Then look up when PS+ was needed for multiplayer. See what came first, and then give yourself a swirly mid wipe.

You responded to my post, not the other way around. And PS Plus was always designed as the XBL Sony rebrand (with some extras thrown in to soften the blow). This is how the great majority of players use the service. If there are folks who are ONLY into PS Plus for the free games and discounts, that's fine - but I seriously doubt they are the majority of PS Plus subscribers.

You don't seem to understand that everything you receive as part of your PS+ subscription is taken into account when Sony decides on the price for PS+.
You are paying for it.

If you stop paying for PS+, you will no longer get it. It's really that simple.

Nothing in this posts is opposed to what I said. Not sure what to tell you.

You responded to my post, not the other way around. And PS Plus was always designed as the XBL Sony rebrand (with some extras thrown in to soften the blow). This is how the great majority of players use the service. If there are folks who are ONLY into PS Plus for the free games and discounts, that's fine - but I seriously doubt they are the majority of PS Plus subscribers.

Nothing in this posts is opposed to what I said. Not sure what to tell you.

people are hung up on your use of free, it’s not free…free to people paying for PS+ is not free

NickFire

And PS Plus was always designed as the XBL Sony rebrand (with some extras thrown in to soften the blow).
That statement is objectively false. It started as a subscription game service. Years later it became required for online.

You also made an objectively false statement about it being free.

Instead of crying about who responded to who first, just try not insulting people for expecting more than a trial as the monthly offering.

Last edited:

Shmunter

It all started with FF7 ps plus edition not having an upgrade path to PS5 like the retail. The beginning of the end.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
people are hung up on your use of free, it’s not free…free to people paying for PS+ is not free

I know what they are hung up on. It's still ludicrous for exactly the reasons I've described. This doesn't even address the fact that if a person subscribed to PS Plus for the entirety of this year, that they have more than recouped what they have put into the service.

That statement is objectively false. It started as a subscription game service. Years later it became required for online.

You also made an objectively false statement about it being free.

Instead of crying about who responded to who first, just try not insulting people for expecting more than a trial as the monthly offering.

Pointing out that you engaged in conversation with me as a response to you assuming I think I am the smartest person in the room is not "crying. . ." it is pointing out that you chosen to initiate the conversation not me. As for the explicit purpose of PS Plus, it is wildly disingenuous to just describe it as a "subscription game service" given what it was meant to address: SONY wanted a version of XBL for themselves. Regardless, what Playstation Plus has been since the beginning of the PS4 era is what most people are engaging with the service as: a pass to play games online.

yurinka

Facts! But all our energy should be put towards the devs of this game, instead of Sony. At the end of the day they made this call.
In fact, they asked Sony to do this and also made the effort to develop a dumbed down version. It would have been easier, cheaper and faster for everybody to simply include the normal game on PS Plus, as everyone else did before.

Deft Beck

Remember when they would give out full games on Plus and not games loaded with microtransactions or the base versions of games with expensive "gold" editions?

Kuranghi

Godfall devs:

Animated GIF

I didn't really enjoy my time with Godfall. I bought the priciest version of it on PS5 back when the PS5 came out and it left me with a real sour taste in my mouth. I had to stop playing the game after 2 hours due to how freaking boring it was to me. I can find copies of that game for less than $15 on marketplace and still wouldn't dare to return to it even after all the enhancement they've done to the title. There's just way too many good games to play. It had its chance. I didn't enjoy it. I moved on. sorrynotsorry

ManaByte

I didn't really enjoy my time with Godfall. I bought the priciest version of it on PS5 back when the PS5 came out and it left me with a real sour taste in my mouth. I had to stop playing the game after 2 hours due to how freaking boring it was to me. I can find copies of that game for less than $15 on marketplace and still wouldn't dare to return to it even after all the enhancement they've done to the title. There's just way too many good games to play. It had its chance. I didn't enjoy it. I moved on. sorrynotsorry

It was really a graphics tech demo that they tried to turn into a melee Destiny.

BreakOut

We got Knockout City last month and that game is a ton of fun. It's also cross-platform cross-progression, which means your unlocks travel to whatever platform you play it on. I played it a lot on Xbox when it was on Gamepass and all my unlocks were there when I downloaded the PS+ version. If you haven't grabbed it, do so before it's gone.
I picked it up, I always grab everything. But it doesn’t change the fact that I’m really disappointed and many other people feel the same way. I realize they’re never going to do game pass and I’m actually OK with that, but I really feel like December should be done better all things considered. It’s not like they can’t afford it they are in a very good place and it would be a real “for the players” moment. I think twice a year minimum they should throw out a game that people are definitely going to buy that maybe would even be surprising. If they would’ve just done the god fall full game and mortal coil PS five it would’ve been a good month. They just half assed both of those games.
I hope there is a way to upgrade mortal coil PS five with the plus version.

Polelock

Many subscribers suggested the inclusion of this version of Godfall was against the spirit of PlayStation Plus, which typically offers "full" games. Indeed, the Challenger Edition was advertised with word of an $45 upgrade offer - to pay and get the main version of Godfall if you liked what you had tried so far.

Today, a spokesperson for developer Counterplay told Eurogamer that the Challenger Edition was "not a trial", but a new cut-price, limited-feature edition.

In a new press release, Counterplay announced that the Challenger Edition would also soon be available for free via the Epic Game Store for a limited time (December 9th - 16th).

After that, the Challenger Edition will be sold for $14.99.
Lo fucking L. A 15 dollar demo. Fuck right off with that

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Lo fucking L. A 15 dollar demo. Fuck right off with that
Might be the first demo in history to skip to the end game modes being a level 50 character. Game must be so bad they dont want anyone playing the rest of the game.... which is a $45 upgrade, or $60 on it's own.

fezgoeshard

Neo Member
Feel like Sony is sliding back to the bad old days. They're gonna pull this shit in December with nothing on the docket AND in the face of Halo and Forza from MS? That is some pretty arrogant struttin' folks!

Lupin25

I couldn’t imagine spending $100+ on a game I spent playing 2 h with.

This is what Gearbox wants tho lol.

Feel like Sony is sliding back to the bad old days. They're gonna pull this shit in December with nothing on the docket AND in the face of Halo and Forza from MS? That is some pretty arrogant struttin' folks!

Sony’s not worried about trying to compete with the likes Activision (COD), Ubisoft (Assassin’s Creed/Watch Dogs, etc.), Rockstar (GTA), EA (FIFA/Battlefield) who all fight tooth and nail for holiday sales.

Sony typical never drops their biggest games Q4 at this point (unless it’s next-gen console launch), this is really nothing new lol. The usually try to avoid the holidays.

Last edited:

Polelock

Well, I wasted about 20 mins on this. You can polish a turd all you want, still going to be a turd. Just a bad game.

Top Bottom