• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla vs. Kong Release Date Pushed Back to November 2020

Aggelos

The film had been scheduled to open in March, but it got pushed back.
Since people were wondering previously "when are they trailers gonna drop for this flick?"

Godzilla_vs._Kong_-_licensing_promotional_poster.jpg

Movie-goers will have to wait a little longer to see cinema’s two fiercest monsters duke it out. Warner Bros. and Legendary’s “Godzilla vs. Kong” has been delayed eight months and will now hit theaters Nov. 20, 2020. The film was previously dated for March 13, 2020.

Directed by Adam Wingard, “Godzilla vs. Kong” is the fourth entry in Legendary’s monster universe following 2004’s “Godzilla,” 2017’s “Kong: Skull Island” and 2019’s “Godzilla: King of the Monsters.” The upcoming crossover event — starring Alexander Skarsgard, Millie Bobby Brown, Rebecca Hall and Brian Tyree Henry — pits the otherworldly giants against each other in an epic battle.

This year’s “Godzilla: King of the Monsters” generated $385 million worldwide and was a financial disappointment given its $200 million price tag. Both “Godzilla” ($524 million) and “Kong: Skull Island” ($566 million) were commercial successes. Since the sci-fi spectacles have only gotten more expensive to make, it stands to reason that the studios wanted to step back and retool the franchise before unleashing it to the public.

When “Godzilla vs. Kong” does arrive in multiplexes, it will face off against something even mightier: a Marvel movie. “Eternals,” the superhero adventure starring Angelina Jolie, Richard Madden and Kumail Nanjiani, debuts two weeks earlier on Nov. 6.

Last edited:
I’m surprised Godzilla KOM didn’t do a little better since I liked it :(

I will wait because I’m a Godzilla fan but I’m worried how it will turn out

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Both Kong and Godillza's last outings have been greatly improved and I like delays if it means improvements.

I liked Skull Island quite a bit but that last Godzilla was incredibly difficult to sit through.

Take your time and do whatever is necessary not to fuck this up. It that requires Kong to have electric powers, then so be it. =P

Pagusas

Elden Member
KOM was one of the worst films I’ve ever seen (in a AAA production category). I have no faith what so ever this can be any good. KOM basically nullified all the awesomeness of Godzilla

mcz117chief

Skull Island was a massive surprise for me. I expected it to be pure garbage like the Godzilla movie but it was genuinely good. The environment made sense, Kong wasn't invincible, the characters were good and there were fun little twists all the time. Consider me "team Kong".

KOM was one of the worst films I’ve ever seen (in a AAA production category). I have no faith what so ever this can be any good. KOM basically nullified all the awesomeness of Godzilla
Yeah, KOM was an awful film. I don't really know if there was anything at all redeeming about it.
Skull Island was at least watchable even though it had what's her face in it.

After KOM I'm really surprised this one is still on.

VulcanRaven

I'm a bit disappointed but I hope the movie will be better because of this. It looks like Kong will have a beard:

kong-sport-beard-godzilla-vs-kong-2020-23.jpg

Skull Island was a massive surprise for me. I expected it to be pure garbage like the Godzilla movie but it was genuinely good. The environment made sense, Kong wasn't invincible, the characters were good and there were fun little twists all the time. Consider me "team Kong".
I didn't like it. The characters felt paper-thin and the story wasn't good compared to the previous Kong movies. Kong was too big in my opinion. The only reason why he was that big was that he can fight Godzilla in the future movies. Also he had a lot more personality in the 2005 movie.

Last edited:

Pejo

I'm curious how they're going to make this a fair fight. Godzilla was 10 times bigger than Kong during Skull Island. Maybe they'll make another monster sounds mp3 player.

Daxter32jak

Damn, and here I was patiently waiting for this one.

I personally enjoyed KOM, and would give it a 8/10. Ghidorah was an absolute badass. Some of the biblical references in the movie were a nice touch too

Pejo

Bummer, but expected. I feel like movie theaters are fucked because nobody wants to sit in public right now with a mask stuck on their face for 2 hours. Can't even eat popcorn.

Thought KoTM was a huge mess. Even the action was a mess. Only Legendary Godzillaverse movie enjoyed is 2014 one. Had Spielberg feels. KoTM bigger/louder/inferior like sequel Lost World. OG GvK was a flaming trashcan of a movie so expectations of new one to live up to.

All I want is more Toho Godzilla. The US versions never bring that kaiju flavor I savor
What did you think of Shin Godzilla?

Aggelos

And to think that this flick was previously scheduled for Spring 2020 release. After the tiny box-office disappointment of King of Monsters, they apparently decided to revise and reconsider Godzilla Vs Kong.

These days, everything gets pushed.
For instance Venom Let there be Carnage, was penciled for October 2020 release, but got pushed back

I also expect Jurassic World Dominion to get pushed back.

Last edited:

Codes 208

After the lukewarm reception of KotM, I say take all the time they need. I personally enjoyed it (but the first was definitely a better movie)

Last edited:
Top Bottom