• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla Vs Kong Spoiler discussion and what's next ?

What did you think about GvsK ?

Votes: 12 8.6%

Votes: 12 8.6%

Votes: 35 25.2%

Votes: 42 30.2%

Votes: 18 12.9%

Votes: 5 3.6%

Votes: 6 4.3%

Votes: 1 0.7%

Votes: 2 1.4%

Votes: 2 1.4%

Votes: 4 2.9%

• Total voters

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
⚠️ Unmarked spoilers ! ⚠️

As the film is out, let's talk about what you thought.
Personally I loved it, it lack a little bit of world building (Monarch and the others Titans) but the showdown is here. My boy Godzilla win so I'm happy
unknown.png

The two get to battle in their preferred environment, one on water and one on land. And those FX are first class !
unknown.png
unknown.png

The Hollow Hearth is nice, I'd love to see more later and especially if there is any Titan left here (but it doesn't feel like it's the case).
unknown.png
unknown.png

unknown.png
unknown.png

But most importantly, the battle between the two haven't disappointed me, with a clear winner in the name of Godzilla !
unknown.png
unknown.png

unknown.png
unknown.png

And then MechaGodzilla, I loved what they did with him. Ghidorah (because that's him in the end) trying to do the finish move on Godzilla... damn ^^
unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png

And no post-credit scene, at least some indication of what's to come would have been nice.
I may have missed some things but for now, in your opinion what's next for the MonsterVerse ?

7/10 for me

Human side was not really interesting as always, but still better than KOTM. Fights were good and impressive, Godzilla is faster than ever and you get a real sense of power.
Still lacking a longer first fight between the two (being on a cargo ship doesn't help) and the movie end abruptly imo.

And now, what ?
Godzilla vs. Kong establishes a new home for Kong within the Hollow Earth, a world within our world where the Titans hail from.
Within the Hollow Earth, Kong learns pieces of his ancestry, discovers new monsters, accepts his role as a monarch, and gains awareness of an ancient conflict that encompassed his race and Godzilla’s.
Adam Wingard revealed recently that he cut the film’s post-credit scene, rumored to point to the Monsterverse’s next conflict.

It remains clear that there’s plenty to discover and uncover within the Hollow Earth. And with Monarch establishing a new station in the Hollow Earth, there’s an easy answer for including the human characters in Kong’s journey going forward.

What the TOHO said 1 month before the release of GvK:

"We love the Hollywood Godzilla, we think it's really an honor that they wanted to sort of remake their Hollywood version," Takahashi says.
"It's so different. We're going to continue that branding and that type of Godzilla universe to expand even more. "

There have been several sequels in the Toho canon, but in an era of cinematic universes, with some far more successful than others, Takahashi says Toho isn't going to force any multi-movie throughline.
"To be honest, it's probably going to be up to the creators and the directors If they want to bring back something that they think is relevant to the fans and the time and the relevance of whatever we can put out there that's going to make it very interesting."
Source

Update 04/29/2021:

Adam Wingard in Talks for Legendary's Next MonsterVerse Film:

The Hollywood Reporter has learned that Legendary is quietly taking steps to stretch the series into one or more installments, entering early talks with Godzilla vs. Kong director Adam Wingard to return for another round of monster-on-monster mayhem.
If a deal closes, Wingard would be the first helmer to return to the monster fold since Godzilla kicked off the Legendary partnership with Japan’s Toho in 2014 with $524 million in global receipts.
There’s no timetable for the project as Wingard has become popular among studios. However, the director is said to have been very involved in creating GvK set-pieces as well as the world-building for the movie’s Hollow Earth plotline, and he and Legendary have been cooking up plenty of ideas already.
In fact, one possible title being floated internally? Son of Kong.
Source

Update 04/19/2023:

Godzilla x Kong - The New Empire announced!
March 15, 2024

Directed by Adam Wingard
Music by Junkie XL

"This latest entry follows up the showdown of Godzilla vs. Kong with an all-new cinematic adventure, pitting the almighty Kong and the fearsome Godzilla against a colossal undiscovered threat hidden within our world.
Challenging their very existence – and our own, this epic new film will delve further into the histories of these Titans, their origins and the mysteries of Skull Island and beyond."

image.png

Last edited:

Codes 208

loved it.

I’ve been hearing that there was actually a deleted post-credits scene that involves warnings that aliens are getting ready to invade earth. Sooo we could actually see a monster wars-esque movie down the line.

I believe it was removed to give a clean slate for whatever the next director wants to make. I’d be totally down for a remake of destroyah (considering we already got the oxygen destroyer in the last movie)

also yes, mechagodzilla trying to reenact the kiss of death from ‘14 wasn’t lost on me.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Loved all the action on screen, it was great and well made.
But all the scenes with Millie Bobbie Brown and co were wasted screen time and could have ben cut. If they trimmed 20 minutes from the film it'd probably go from a 7 to a 9.

The human element of a Godzilla film doesn't have to be anything amazing but at least make sure the human characters onscreen are tied directly with the story.

Millie and co are literally in that whole film just to pour alcohol on a computer to stop Mecha-Godzilla from drilling a hole in Kong. They could have just had Godzilla grab the tail and pull it away.

Last edited:

Fret Runner

That was some goofy shit.
And I really liked it. Except the tonal shift when it would go back to the 2 teens and the conspiracy nut, that shit felt like a teen comedy.
What sol_bad said above basically.
Laughed when Kong done the Axe version of the Tree in mouth attack. The Mecha rocket punch was great aswell.

Kong literally got stomped. Good
Would have liked the Mecha fight to go on a little bit longer, but oh well. Maybe there will be a extended Blu-ray version or something.
Pouring Whiskey on the computer was also rather lackluster.
King Of The Monsters is still my favourite of the recent ones though.

Codes 208

They made this movie to watch on an OLED. so many colors.
My internet is shit so I watched the basic HD version but I’m excited to watch the physical release in 4K with hdr. Especially the Hong Kong fight scene, holy shit.

Last edited:

kunonabi

It was ok. Saddling Brown with Tyree and the fat kid really didn't work. I don't know why Hollywood keeps pushing those two. Brown turning into a full-on goofy conspiracy nut follower just didn't seem like a natural development to me. Brown is much more likable when she isn't being quirky.

The other human story wasn't as bad but it was still just kind of there. The Godzilla/Kong fights were good but they weren't super amazing. It's nice that Godzilla had the upper hand but he was such a bit player and he wasn't quite treated with the reverence and fear that I like to see. Villain stuff wasn't great either and Mechagodzilla being the final boss was also a bit of a letdown. I wish more had been done with Hollow Earth as it was easily the most compelling part of the film.

I also take KotM over this.

Aggelos

As I wrote in the other thread. I think the critics hit the nail directly on the head by giving the following consensus: "The film received generally positive reviews from critics, with praise for its visual effects and action sequences, but with criticism towards the writing of the human characters."
You know, Kaiju fans who wanna see Godzilla and Kong slugging it out, and Kaiju brawls in general, they will rejoice after this film. It's a solid 8/10 from me. When the film ended I really had this wish that we should have had more monster battles (more rounds with Godzilla Vs Kong, and more fights with Kong against various monsters in Hollow Earth, prolonged Hong Kong battle with Godzilla, Kong, and Mechagodzilla). I wish this film was 150 mins long, with the added running time showing more Kaiju battles and punch-ups. They were very good, and I wish there was more.

The future of the MonsterVerse will be decided by how popular this film becomes.

"In February 2021, director Adam Wingard commented on the future of the MonsterVerse, "I know where we could go potentially with future films". However, he noted that the MonsterVerse was created "to a certain degree" to lead towards Godzilla vs. Kong. He added that the MonsterVerse is at a "crossroads", stating, "It’s really at the point where audiences have to kind of step forward and vote for more of these things. If this movie is a success obviously they will continue forward."

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
I watched KOTM twice in the theaters and loved it, but I don't think I'll rewatch this again. I think this was more of a Kong movie than a Godzilla movie. It just wasn't for me.

Blade2.0

I'm differing from a lot in here. I think this was the best of the monsterverse thus far. My boy godzilla got the outright win, as well. Would love an alternative take where kong wins and some how zilla helps him but that would change a lot of the ending.

Am I the only one that wanted kong and zilla to do some Respect Knuckles at the end? That would have made the film.
knuckles fist bump GIF

Pejo

Just finished watching it. The monster parts were great. Honestly with as much as they were wanking Kong the whole movie, I thought he'd beat Godzilla, but lizard boi had a decisive win.

Monster X or Space Godzilla next?

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Enjoyed the movie, but fell asleep during the credits. I don't think I remember how it ended. I will re-watch the end tonight. I am glad the trailers really only showed the first 20 minutes of the movie.

DiscoHippo

Banned
I'm differing from a lot in here. I think this was the best of the monsterverse thus far. My boy godzilla got the outright win, as well. Would love an alternative take where kong wins and some how zilla helps him but that would change a lot of the ending.

Am I the only one that wanted kong and zilla to do some Respect Knuckles at the end? That would have made the film.
knuckles fist bump GIF
I think it was the best by being the shortest of the four movies. Only by 10 or so minutes in some cases, but I think the pacing of the monster fights (what you're there for) and that shorter runtime really help out a lot. Because IMO, it's got the exact same flaws as the rest of the monsterverse. Dumb as shit plot, and dumb as shit characters. It almost aggravates me how mediocre each movie is, despite the fact that I love the action. The best thing you can say about any of them is that at least Skull Island had a bit of style.

xrnzaaas

It would've been a better movie if they got rid of 2 out of 3 kids. The mute kid was at least there to serve a purpose. Same with Eiza Gonzalez's character, they added her only to have a popular actor in the cast.

Hollow Earth looked nice, but the first half hour was pretty boring despite the movie being less than 2 hours long. At least the monster fights were cool and they didn't feel like they were too short. I'm satisfied with how they let Godzilla win the duel and then Kong finish off Mecha. Everyone's happy. ;)

Last edited:

Forsythia

The Millie Bobby Brown group should've been cut from the movie. And what was the point of Kyle Chandler's character returning? And poor Lance Reddick, one fucking line in the entire movie. And what happened to Charles Dance? Why were all the other titans killed when they bowed to Godzilla in the previous movies? Did the filmmakers even watch the previous movie?

NahaNago

For the millie group I can understand why folks want them cut. They really don't bring anything to the movie, but I honesty just liked the group. They really for the most part could have been cut from the movie. The stuff they got into was just too wacky and seriously no guards? It is crazy how much the tech in the godzilla movie ramped up. For the hollow earth area. I was honesty expecting more monsters. A movie of humans getting stranded on that hollow earth sounds amazing. I kind of now want a movie of a journey to the center of the earth with that hollow earth area. I really want to see a movie where we see how the kongs get that godzilla weapon. Who built that throne room?

Pejo

For the millie group I can understand why folks want them cut. They really don't bring anything to the movie, but I honesty just liked the group. They really for the most part could have been cut from the movie. The stuff they got into was just too wacky and seriously no guards? It is crazy how much the tech in the godzilla movie ramped up. For the hollow earth area. I was honesty expecting more monsters. A movie of humans getting stranded on that hollow earth sounds amazing. I kind of now want a movie of a journey to the center of the earth with that hollow earth area. I really want to see a movie where we see how the kongs get that godzilla weapon. Who built that throne room?
They were mostly there for the "comedy" bits to break up the serious tone of the rest of the story. The thing is, with the action, I don't think the movie needed the comedy stuff, and I'm REALLY getting tired of the MCU-type quip one liners and too cool for school type comedy that they seem to be stuck on in Hollywood since it worked for Iron Man 1. I think a cut without that whole group would have been just fine as long as they showed the "villains" and what they were up to, not that it made much sense either way.

Lux R7

it was good, not King of The Monsters good, but good.
The fight between Zilla and Mecha is a little one-sided but that's fine (i mean yeah Zilla is tired there, but still).

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
As I wrote in the other thread. I think the critics hit the nail directly on the head by giving the following consensus: "The film received generally positive reviews from critics, with praise for its visual effects and action sequences, but with criticism towards the writing of the human characters."
You know, Kaiju fans who wanna see Godzilla and Kong slugging it out, and Kaiju brawls in general, they will rejoice after this film. It's a solid 8/10 from me. When the film ended I really had this wish that we should have had more monster battles (more rounds with Godzilla Vs Kong, and more fights with Kong against various monsters in Hollow Earth, prolonged Hong Kong battle with Godzilla, Kong, and Mechagodzilla). I wish this film was 150 mins long, with the added running time showing more Kaiju battles and punch-ups. They were very good, and I wish there was more.

The future of the MonsterVerse will be decided by how popular this film becomes.

"In February 2021, director Adam Wingard commented on the future of the MonsterVerse, "I know where we could go potentially with future films". However, he noted that the MonsterVerse was created "to a certain degree" to lead towards Godzilla vs. Kong. He added that the MonsterVerse is at a "crossroads", stating, "It’s really at the point where audiences have to kind of step forward and vote for more of these things. If this movie is a success obviously they will continue forward."

Yep I feel the same about the runtime. 20 more minutes of pure battle would have been good but I guess it's about the budget.

About what's next, is it time for GIPSY DANGER ??
SwtC.gif

I know it's a pipe dream but... a man can hope ^^

Aggelos

"Zhang Ziyi and Jessica Henwick didn't make the final cut. Godzilla vs. Kong director Adam Wingard explains why."

"Originally, Lance's part was a little bit bigger as he plays the Monarch director, he's running the organization, There was a scene earlier in the film, a big board room scene where they're setting up the mission. He had a larger role, but ultimately we didn’t need that scene, we changed a couple of plot details during the editing process, so that earlier stuff got cut. Now, that stuff just counts as a fun cameo. He is still top credited, it's still part of his contract. It's funny because he shows up in the opening credits and then turns up for four lines, maybe three, in the movie ultimately."

"This is the ultimate version of the film,"
Adam Wingard explains. "We actually did the least amount of reshoots than any of those MonsterVerse films. Normally, they do about two weeks, but we only did five days. We did have to be quite surgical, as we did change one element of the plot and it affected a couple of scenes at the beginning and a couple of scenes at the end. That's where my low-budget, no-budget background comes in. You have to be very crafty and able to think in those terms. We were very surgical in those terms. So, no, this is the ultimate version of the film, I would never do a different version of it."

Catching up with Rebecca Hall, who has a large role in Godzilla vs. Kong, she offered some details regarding the cut scenes. "When we got down into the middle of the Earth, that ended up not being as used in the movie. There was a huge set for it, that was incredible, with fire and all sorts of rock formations, it was the size of a football pitch... Some of it made it, but we were there for days and days and days, and they ended up using it in a different way."

UncleMeat

knuckles fist bump GIF
Dude! I knew they wouldn't do it but I wanted a WWE style handshake so badly after Kong dropped the axe.

My buddies came over and even though there was a lot of dumb stuff like Eleven's crew running around doing whatever they wanted we all enjoyed it. The fights were great and a lot of good references like Kong going Mel Gibson popping his shoulder back in. I also thought the ship being attached to Godzilla reminded me of Jaws; several others. It was a fun watch.

Paasei

Those kids could've been left out. The only kid with any purpose was the deaf one.
At least the monster fights were really fun to watch. That is the only reason to watch this movie, anyway.

Time to add Pacific Rim into it or that monster from Cloverfield, although the one from the previous movie already kinda looked like it.

Last edited:

NahaNago

They were mostly there for the "comedy" bits to break up the serious tone of the rest of the story. The thing is, with the action, I don't think the movie needed the comedy stuff, and I'm REALLY getting tired of the MCU-type quip one liners and too cool for school type comedy that they seem to be stuck on in Hollywood since it worked for Iron Man 1. I think a cut without that whole group would have been just fine as long as they showed the "villains" and what they were up to, not that it made much sense either way.
I agree that the movie didn't need comdey stuff. I'll still say that I enjoyed it though. Taking it out would have kept to the tone of the rest of the movie. The execs probably wanted stranger things hype plus to lighten the mood in the movie. I do agree that I would like to have seen more of the villains especially the daughter. I could see though a remake with the dad escaping and going for round 2 because of the death of his daughter.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I consider the first Godzilla to just like Pacific Rim 1, really good, an 8/10 film with flaws but it’s heart and soul was there.

I consider the 2nd Godzilla film to be just like Pacific Rim 2 - horribly done; completely lost the feel of the first, incompetent direction, mangled plot and script and felt cheap. 1/10, worst movies of their respective years

I havnt seen Kong

trikster40

Thought it was great! So they apparently put the post-credits scene somewhere in the actual movie since it made more sense, but I can’t figure out what scene it would be.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
I thought it was good. My son and I wanted to see Kong rip zillas head off. Apparently we're in the minority here but we love Kong and don't care for Godzilla at all.

AmuroChan

It was an enjoying 7/10 movie for me. The monster fights were great. The writing and acting were otherwise terrible. Kong and Godzilla gave better acting performances than every human actor outside of the little girl.

What's next for the monsterverse? I really don't know. It doesn't make sense for Kong and Godzilla to team up again. That'd be lame. What other big monster can they possibly go to next?

Shai-Tan

Banned
every line of dialogue in this movie is awful. and I don’t know where the lore came from but it’s also awful. Why bother speculating about it? Lol

edit: I apologize for shitting up the thread. Was just a bit bored. Well that and the movie has lore about “the king alpha” that the characters unironically talk about

Last edited:

Stuart360

7/10 for me.
The monster stuff was the best in the series yet. The human stuff was awful, the writing and characters were terrible lol.

Also, was it just me or was some of the cgi really bad looking?. It had me thinking that maybe the film didnt have the budget you would think, or Covid had some effect on cleaning it up.

7/10. Gonna even watch it again tonight hahahah. It looks amazing in the LG CX.

I really like the battles. Yet tbh.. this is the only Godzilla movie where I've felt it seemed rushed. Really like the Hollow Earth scenes and would be cool if they made a standalone movie based on it imo.

I think the craziest scene is Godzilla simply just laser beaming a hole to reach Kong deep underground. Meanwhile it takes Kong and the humans to go through an interstellar phase just to reach down there hahah. So.... Godzilla can actually cut the planet in half? hahaha

As for the characters.. ugh... hahah. Someone described one of the characters as Black Alex Jones LOL (the podcast guy). I really wished the 3 movies would stick to a single character imo. I enjoyed Bryan Cranston's character yet he just had to die literally in the beginning of the 1st movie.. ugh. Would be awesome if his character (and the 2 Biologist/Scientists) Would survived all the 3 movies and see the monsters for themselves. Imagine their reactions to see MechaGodzilla hahaha.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
What the TOHO said 1 month ago:

"We love the Hollywood Godzilla, we think it's really an honor that they wanted to sort of remake their Hollywood version," Takahashi says.
"It's so different. We're going to continue that branding and that type of Godzilla universe to expand even more. "

There have been several sequels in the Toho canon, but in an era of cinematic universes, with some far more successful than others, Takahashi says Toho isn't going to force any multi-movie throughline.
"To be honest, it's probably going to be up to the creators and the directors If they want to bring back something that they think is relevant to the fans and the time and the relevance of whatever we can put out there that's going to make it very interesting."

Source

With the good reception and strong result at the box office (considering the situation) I think WB is happy with the MonsterVerse right now.
Someone posted a possible follow up: KONG: King of The Hollow Earth and that's sound like a good idea !

Last edited:

showernota

It was light on Godzilla, I would’ve preferred this be Kong: Adventures in Hollow Earth personally. Can anyone explain if the Kongs built the underground mountain fortress? Did they build it on a power supply? Why was the power supply a Godzilla ouroboros, did the Kongs steal the mountain fortress from the Zillas?

The fights were good, Millie Brown’s group wandering around endlessly was pretty bad, Mechagodzilla choreography was slick. It ended really abruptly too.

KotM was much better IMO, but this is worth a rental.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
It was light on Godzilla, I would’ve preferred this be Kong: Adventures in Hollow Earth personally. Can anyone explain if the Kongs built the underground mountain fortress? Did they build it on a power supply? Why was the power supply a Godzilla ouroboros, did the Kongs steal the mountain fortress from the Zillas?

The fights were good, Millie Brown’s group wandering around endlessly was pretty bad, Mechagodzilla choreography was slick. It ended really abruptly too.

KotM was much better IMO, but this is worth a rental.
Great questions ! Unfortunately, we don't have any response for now. But I do think that fortress was build by Kongs. They mastered the tools after all.
unknown.png

And there are also some really big skeletons here:
unknown.png
unknown.png

Fbh

It was ok. I'd say something like a 6/10. Entertaining to watch once but that's about it.

As usual the monster fight bits were fun but the human side was pretty bad.
The side adventure with the teens in particular was probably the worst thing yet in this entire franchise. Just boring and tonally completely out of place.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Man, that didn't do a thing for me.

Not as outright bad as KoTM, but just as dull. The action, which should be the saving grace in this movie, felt weightless to me. I don't yet know if it was the cgi, the camera perspectives lacking a sense of scale, or what exactly, but not one of these monster scenes hit me the same way they do in, say Godzilla 2014, where you are pulled into the world of these creatures in a way that emphasizes scale.

I don't get it. I don't expect every Godzilla movie to be for me, but when one is praised this highly, it's disappointing to not see the merit on a personal level. I can't help but think the state of the world and film industry may have inflated those review scores a bit. I can't help but feel that critics and pundits want this movie to succeed for the sake of their own relevance.
It's another one of those "turn your mind off and have FUN" movies, which I suppose never really work for me.

Glad for everyone who enjoyed it, and glad that these characters/monsters are still relevant.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I wish they would of had Godzilla and Mechagodzilla actually fight, it was more of Godzilla just getting fuckin dragged for 15 minutes lol.

One thing that kept weirding me out was the scaling with the monsters seemed to change constantly. You would see Kong or Godzilla doing something by themselves and youre kinda like "Ok, I can gauge this monsters is X big". Then another scene it just feels radically different.

Like one scene Kong is climbing a skyscraper, then 5 minutes later hes the same size as Godzilla and theyre rampaging right through skyscrapers.

I still enjoyed it for the monsters, they were cool. Fuck the human parts were exceptionally bad though. Not even like just boring filler they were aggressively bad. This writing was so fuckin lazy lol. "Hey lets just take this completely unguarded elevator down underground and see where it goes. Oh sweet it went to secret base where they are developing Mechagodzilla. Oh sweet lets walk around completely unhindered by any type of security for the next 60 minutes in this top secret underground lab where no ones notices us and zero doors are locekd. Oh sweet look its randomly the head of Ghidora in this closet we mosied into. Oh sweet look the control panel for Mechagodzilla, lets sprinkle some whiskey on it. Oh sweet look sprinkling that whiskey on this remote panel somehow made mechagodzilla short circuit for a second. We win huzzah!" Stranger Things girl's entire plot should have just been removed, it was such a constant wet blanket on everything.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Godzilla knows Kong will come anytime humans require defense and that will always give humans a chance.

Top Bottom