• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla Vs Kong Spoiler discussion and what's next ?

What did you think about GvsK ?

Votes: 12 8.6%

Votes: 12 8.6%

Votes: 35 25.2%

Votes: 42 30.2%

Votes: 18 12.9%

Votes: 5 3.6%

Votes: 6 4.3%

Votes: 1 0.7%

Votes: 2 1.4%

Votes: 2 1.4%

Votes: 4 2.9%

• Total voters

NahaNago

I'm guessing alternate world portal opens up in the center of the earth and a monster comes out or since the tech seems so advanced now a kaiju will come from one of the other planets. They could easily just say that the place where kong lives is actually a small dimension world and there are dimensional portals located in other parts of the world.

MastaKiiLA

I really wish they would stop putting human stories in these monster mash fests. I just want to watch Gozilla, Kong, and Mecha-Godzilla duke it out in different locales. I have zero interest in the whole Monarch and Apex storylines. The movies aren't supposed to be about humans surviving a monster attack. They're supposed to be about monsters attacking.

Only Kong: Skull Island really needed humans, and that was because it was largely about humans discovering Skull Island. Godzilla, Gozilla: King of the Monsters, and now King Kong vs Godzilla were all made worse by the humans involved in the stories. Just give me titans walking around wrecking shit. The story writes itself. They're trying to capture the success of Pacific Rim, but that movie had humans literally at the heart of the giant robots. The titans are biological creatures, so build a narrative around them getting from point A to point B to wreck shit, without having us follow a bunch of nobodies tripping over their own feet.

The Apex storyline could have been explained in 5 minutes, and then we could've gotten more awesome Mecha Gozilla action, because they animated him really well.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Godzilla vs. Kong has already surpassed Godzilla: King of the Monsters at the worldwide box office, despite theaters having limited attendance.

Despite premiering on HBO Max the same day as theaters as part of Warner Bros.' controversial 2021 distribution strategy, Godzilla vs. Kong has gone on to have a very successful commercial run.
The latest installment in the MonsterVerse grossed $48.5 million domestically during its extended 5-day opening weekend, setting a new pandemic box office record.

"Based on the latest numbers, the MonsterVerse has experienced a resurgence"

Noice Thats Nice GIF

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
I don‘t like how the last two movies basically turned a franchise that started out as an allegory of natural disasters (especially earthquakes and tsunamis) and man-made disasters (like the nuking of Hiroshima) into a series of Marvel movies.

Godzilla 2014 felt much more grounded and ‚gritty‘, for lack of a better term, and it hit exactly the right tone, imo. When that Muto first hatched from its cocoon, it was awe-inspiring and terrifying to watch (as were the sounds it made!). The same goes for the appearance of Godzilla (though he didn‘t get nearly enough screen time). At certain points it almost felt like a horror movie (like when the female Muto appears out of the dark and walks over that bridge, and the dude gets a look at the glowing eggs in its underbelly). The human plot also wasn‘t cringey or annoying, and since the main cast was overall smaller, we saw more of the individual characters, making them more than just staffage who throw occasional one-liners.

I had high hopes after that first movie, but the sequels feel totally different. The monster fights certainly look cool, but the sense of dread from the first movie is totally missing. Now they feel more like Avengers movies, where the monsters have taken the place of superheroes and villains (and there are now spaceships and wormholes for some reason?)

Last edited:
Godzilla vs. Kong has already surpassed Godzilla: King of the Monsters at the worldwide box office, despite theaters having limited attendance.

Despite premiering on HBO Max the same day as theaters as part of Warner Bros.' controversial 2021 distribution strategy, Godzilla vs. Kong has gone on to have a very successful commercial run.
The latest installment in the MonsterVerse grossed $48.5 million domestically during its extended 5-day opening weekend, setting a new pandemic box office record.

"Based on the latest numbers, the MonsterVerse has experienced a resurgence"

Noice Thats Nice GIF
tenor.gif

Ixion

Action was pretty fun, and I liked Eiza Gonzalaz's tits (never heard of her before), but I also thought the monsters felt less weighty than the previous movies, including King of Monsters. And surprisingly, I thought the human parts were even worse than the last two movies, which is saying something.

The main character in Godzilla 2014 was very boring and the movie spent a bit too much time on the human characters in general, but at least we had Cranston and Watanabe. As for King of Monsters, Eleven was completely unnecessary in that movie (just like this one), but all in all I liked the lore that was told in that movie, which was a big part of the human segments. It made the fights even cooler.

So yeah, this one was heavily weighed down by the human drama, and the action, while fun, didn't give me the same sense of awe and impact as the last two movies.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Pretty much.

That's why we need an Evangelion film trilogy, because the human characters will carry the movie and then the giant fights would be the icing on the cake.

Call me, Hollywood.

You really trust Hollywood with Evangelion? I guess we nearly got Evangelion with Pacific Rim ..... which I watched 9 times at the cinemas.

Jon Neu

Banned
You really trust Hollywood with Evangelion? I guess we nearly got Evangelion with Pacific Rim ..... which I watched 9 times at the cinemas.

I don't, but no one else has the money to pull it off.

But with a competent writter in charge, you could do a good adaption.

Jon Neu

Banned
And by the way, I don't consider Pacific Rim to be like Evangelion at all.

A movie about Evangelion would (and should) be completely different.

Aggelos

20210427_133002.jpg

20210427_133004.jpg

20210427_133006.jpg

Last edited:

Ixion

So the good thing about subscribing to a month of HBO Max for this movie is that I can watch it again and skip all the human parts. Had a much better time. There's definitely an element of awe that is missing from this movie, but the action itself is pretty damn good when it's there. As others have said, it would have been nice if Godzilla at least got just one decent attack in on Mechgodzilla instead of being completely stomped, but at least he took the damage and was still able to power up Kong for the finish.

And I'm glad to see this movie doing well financially, but I do hope they hand the reigns away from Wingard for the next one. No one has gotten these Monsterverse movies QUITE right yet (although I'd say King of Monsters was the best), so might as well keep trying new directors.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

Adam Wingard in Talks for Legendary's Next MonsterVerse Film:

The Hollywood Reporter has learned that Legendary is quietly taking steps to stretch the series into one or more installments, entering early talks with Godzilla vs. Kong director Adam Wingard to return for another round of monster-on-monster mayhem.
If a deal closes, Wingard would be the first helmer to return to the monster fold since Godzilla kicked off the Legendary partnership with Japan’s Toho in 2014 with $524 million in global receipts.
There’s no timetable for the project as Wingard has become popular among studios. However, the director is said to have been very involved in creating GvK set-pieces as well as the world-building for the movie’s Hollow Earth plotline, and he and Legendary have been cooking up plenty of ideas already.
In fact, one possible title being floated internally? Son of Kong.
Source

Codes 208

Adam Wingard in Talks for Legendary's Next MonsterVerse Film:

The Hollywood Reporter has learned that Legendary is quietly taking steps to stretch the series into one or more installments, entering early talks with Godzilla vs. Kong director Adam Wingard to return for another round of monster-on-monster mayhem.
If a deal closes, Wingard would be the first helmer to return to the monster fold since Godzilla kicked off the Legendary partnership with Japan’s Toho in 2014 with $524 million in global receipts.
There’s no timetable for the project as Wingard has become popular among studios. However, the director is said to have been very involved in creating GvK set-pieces as well as the world-building for the movie’s Hollow Earth plotline, and he and Legendary have been cooking up plenty of ideas already.
In fact, one possible title being floated internally? Son of Kong.
Source
I would prefer Godzilla 4 but at the same time I wouldn’t mind them giving the big G a couple years hiatus.

Magik85

The movie itself was fun.
Im not a fan of those vfx effects.
It often looked more like a videogame.
Those screengrabs in OP look like cutscene from Halo :)

the anticipation when Godzilla is approaching Kong for the first time is great. How much to replace those warships though. Using that trio to advance the story made sense, but too many tropes. The father that won't listen, conspiracy theorist who turns out to be right, said believer having one true believer, taking seconds to understand surroundings in a completely unfamiliar environment, unlikely heroes etc...
This did really seem like Kong's movie, but didn't think it would be so one-sided in the battles
The villains were shit.

Last edited:

Loki

Count of Concision
One thing that bugged me a bit was the inconsistency of Kong/Godzilla’s size, especially Kong. I remember there was one scene/shot in particular where he looked around 150-200% as big as he did in most other scenes. Also, some of the scenes where they have a human or car or whatever in the shot as a scale reference next to, say, Kong’s hand or head, don’t make sense because they typically (again) would mean that Kong should be much bigger than when you see him in the wider shots next to buildings etc.

One thing that bugged me a bit was the inconsistency of Kong/Godzilla’s size, especially Kong. I remember there was one scene/shot in particular where he looked around 150-200% as big as he did in most other scenes. Also, some of the scenes where they have a human or car or whatever in the shot as a scale reference next to, say, Kong’s hand or head, don’t make sense because they typically (again) would mean that Kong should be much bigger than when you see him in the wider shots next to buildings etc.
yeah had that same feeling as well, but I suppose they were skyscrapers and he was almost as tall as some

Didn't enjoy it that much, giving it an elevated score because I like eiza gonzales, it could have earned another point or 2 if they'd included Zhang Ziyi and Jessica Henwick.

Also, the nuclear axe was retarded.

Codes 208

honestly in the future I would love to see them bring back Zilla (Godzilla 1998) as part of the monster verse, even if just as a one-off film. I recently binge watched the old cartoon series and I’ve been hit by nostalgia since. A reboot certainly can’t be worse than tristar’s attempt with it

Last edited:

Aggelos

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
It's gotta be Cthulhu, right? RIGHT?!?
kAdGzOg.jpg

Think about it. Finally the human plot would contribute as these idiots try to stop the cultists/deep ones/Fungi from Yoggoth/whatever from awakening the greatest Great Old One. Godzilla and KK could fight some minor GOOs like Nyarlathotep or Dagon in the build up to the big kahuna himself.

End credits is Azathoth giggling from the center of the galaxy..."hold my beer"...

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
"The fifth film [in] the MonsterVerse franchise will see Kong defend the Earth from the unusual and dangerous creatures that threaten his new home."

+ the series is continuing filming right now:

The untitled project will take place in the aftermath of the thunderous battle between Godzilla and the Titans that levelled San Francisco and the shocking new reality that monsters are real, with the focus put on one family’s journey to uncover its buried secrets and a legacy linking them to the secret organization known as Monarch.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Here's hoping no more Millie Bobbie Brown character and her arc. Just minimal human stuff to frame and give exposition on the monster fighting stuff.
I'm waiting for filmmakers to realize that in real life Millie is now an adult and stop casting her as a frumpy kid. Her first glam role like that is gonna fuck some people up because she is damn near unrecognizable when she is all dolled up.

The persistent human/monster connection in so many of these creature films is just a part of the charm IMHO. Otherwise it's just a long extended destruction sequence. That's fun and all but its really people in peril that hook you and we do need some dialogue unless we get some Godzilla internal monologue narration (would would be SO bizarre).

"Hmmm, I really like stepping on people, it tickles! Ouch, that was a tank. Oh look, some jet fighters, what do they think they are gonna do? I'll save my breath and just tail swipe them. BAM, WTF was that? A top secret hypervelocity missile? Ah hell, gonna curb stomp that battleship and use it like a baseball bat!"

Pejo

I'm waiting for filmmakers to realize that in real life Millie is now an adult and stop casting her as a frumpy kid. Her first glam role like that is gonna fuck some people up because she is damn near unrecognizable when she is all dolled up.
I first noticed this watching her Hot Ones episode. I also had no idea she was a Brit.
The persistent human/monster connection in so many of these creature films is just a part of the charm IMHO. Otherwise it's just a long extended destruction sequence. That's fun and all but its really people in peril that hook you and we do need some dialogue unless we get some Godzilla internal monologue narration (would would be SO bizarre).
I get what you're saying, but they could surely do better than GvK's hollow earth jetcopter plot. As stupid as it was, I enjoyed the "we've got to nuke Godzilla to heal him" subplot from the previous movie. Regardless, the cartoony MBB sequence from GvK was pretty worthless to the overall plot other than to introduce us to the villain and eventually Mechagodzilla. The movie could have handled that any number of ways other than the unlikely trio sneaks into a top secret organization wackiness crap.

sol_bad

Here's hoping no more Millie Bobbie Brown character and her arc. Just minimal human stuff to frame and give exposition on the monster fighting stuff.

The Millie Bobbie Brown story arc was dumb and stupid but you won't get rid of the crappy human drama all together. It's always been a part of the Godzilla franchise.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Godzilla x Kong - The New Empire
March 15, 2024

Directed by Adam Wingard
Music by Junkie XL

"This latest entry follows up the showdown of Godzilla vs. Kong with an all-new cinematic adventure, pitting the almighty Kong and the fearsome Godzilla against a colossal undiscovered threat hidden within our world.
Challenging their very existence – and our own, this epic new film will delve further into the histories of these Titans, their origins and the mysteries of Skull Island and beyond."

image.png

image.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom