• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Going into some Computer Science courses next year.. Need some help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
Im going into Computer Science 114 next year which is an introduction to writing computer language in Java. I will be introduced to objects and values, messages and methods, control structures, and simple containers. Also discussion of elementary algorithms amd software enginerring techniques for constructing elegant and robust solutions to problems.

The problem I have.. is that I never taken a computer science before and a Computer Science 101 is offered but if I take that course I would be behind a year because I'll also need COmputer Science 115 eventually.

For those people out there who have expereince in this.. Is it really necessary for me to take a introduction course?

Depends on what yoru introduction course requries and how computer savvy you are to begin with. Could you list what the description of the 101 course is? You probably don't need to take it as I'm sure if the class is any good, they'll show you how to compile your Java code which is the only issue you could possibly run into off the top of my head.

Hitman

Well I'm pretty computer savvy in the sense that I have general computer hardware and software knowledge. Nothing that really delves into programming languages though.

The computer science 101 course description is: A breadth-first introductory treatment of science and engineering concepts in compter science, including number representation, machine architechture, and operation systems: algorithms, their properties, and the control constructs of sequence, selection and repetition: notions of data type and operations and date types in low-level and high-level programming languages.

Leon

I can relate, and I think I understand what you're asking.

First, you gotta be comfortable with a computer, which I'm sure you are.

BUT if this is gonna be your first CODING class ever, you may run into problems knowing how coding works. Chances are the professor will assume you know how to write, compile and execute code (for which you need to download certain programs or go to specific labs) and will go straight to explaining how the language itself works. So the only thing you should worry about is not knowing how/where code is written. If the professor jumps straight into Java, you need to go ask him/her how to set up the foundation to work on first or you'll run into trouble once the assignments come along.

That's all I can think of.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Someone goes to the UofA...

I've taken both cmput101 and cmput114 (at the UofA).
I took 101 during highschool and totally aced that class. If you're familiar with computers and have good problem solving skills, you will ace it too. It's a good course though - you get some exposure to all the facets of Computing Science: Algorithms, Algorithm analysis, Assembly programming, High Level Programming (C++), etc.

114 is a killer course if you haven't programmed before. It's Java, which is pretty easy - I did pretty well in it and found it relatively easy, but the first few weeks are TOUGH. People who aren't really into computers usually find the course very hard. But if you have a little programming experience, Java isn't too hard to learn. The first midterm is pretty harsh though ;)

I'm really not sure. If you're planning to go into Computing Science anyway, then you probably don't need 101. Still, it's a nice and easy introduction into CompSci...
...101 really doesn't help you much in 114. So you might just wanna make the jump to 114.

Hitman

Hmm good info Pochacco. How did you take Computer Science 101 during highschool though?

I'm not really planning computer science to be a my majour. I jsut need Comptuer Science 114 and 115 then I'll be pretty much done with it. I actually do rememebr doing programming in highschool.. I think it was visual basic but i never really learned anyhting in that class cause i just cheated. So yeh.. I pretty much have no knowledge of programming going into 114. I'm good at computers though.. Do you think I should go into 114 or 101?

Azih

I'd recommend 101 myself, there are things about programming that just being comfortable being with computers doesn't equip you for.

If you think you're adaptable and a quick study and have good friends (good at programming) willing to help you out then you should be able to get by taking 114 straight away though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom