• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden Eye 007 coming to Game Pass and Switch Online on January 27

Chukhopops

Pierce Brosnan Tomorrowneverdies GIF by James Bond 007

Guessing GP version on the same day, maybe announced today?

anthony2690

Banned
They need to fire whoever made the switch trailer, it is awful.

The Xbox trailer was pretty good though.

It's the same game, but it honestly shows you what difference a trailer can make.

I'll give this a go, but I feel like I already know it won't have held up, hopefully I am pleasantly surprised/wrong.

Have they updated controls to use both analog sticks?

Foilz

Banned
This will be a fun pickup in multi for like a week then it will die fast. Single player is where it's at

Excited to have it online. The Xbox version seems kind of lame, but I guess better than nothing.

It's still very odd to me this got announced so early, for what is basically just a ROM dump. Was the licensing really that messy, that they could announce it 5 months ago, but it took another 5 months finalize it for release? It's not like it took Nintendo any time for the netcode to work.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Excited to have it online. The Xbox version seems kind of lame, but I guess better than nothing.

It's still very odd to me this got announced so early, for what is basically just a ROM dump. Was the licensing really that messy, that they could announce it 5 months ago, but it took another 5 months finalize it for release? It's not like it took Nintendo any time for the netcode to work.
The Xbox version is a full remake.

Chukhopops

So only switch gets online right?
Yes, it’s built in the emulator though, not in the game. So you basically play P2P with people you know and I’m not sure it would work well (latency wise) with more than one other player.
The licensing is actually a giant clusterfuck:
Nintendo published and funded the game, while Rare developed it. Rare is now 100% owned by one of Nintendo's rivals: Microsoft. Meanwhile, James Bond is an IP controlled by EON Productions, who have since tightened up their rules around James Bond games post-GoldenEye's release.

ReBurn

Gold Member
This will be a fun pickup in multi for like a week then it will die fast. Single player is where it's at
I'm looking forward to Switch online for this. I play the old Nintendo games online with friends a lot and we've been really excited about this.

Deerock71

If Switch version has gyro, I'll probably pick it up there. But this is great news. Will run through the campaign for sure.
Gyro would utterly break the game. Unlike most people, I actually played the twin-stick configuration on the N64 (using two controllers), and even having that much precision, it was already busted for the bad guys.

Romulus

It's a give take if the trailers are accurate. Xbox gets a much better looking version without online multiplayer, switch gets online multiplayer with awful framerates.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Yes, it’s built in the emulator though, not in the game. So you basically play P2P with people you know and I’m not sure it would work well (latency wise) with more than one other player.

The licensing is actually a giant clusterfuck:

That licensing thing isn't 100% correct. EON hasn't tightened things up, they've loosened it so no one has the exclusive Bond game license anymore. IO is making their game, but they don't have the exclusive license. The reason why the XBLA (and Wii VC) version never came out was because at the time Activision had the exclusive on Bond games and they wouldn't allow it.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Gyro would utterly break the game. Unlike most people, I actually played the twin-stick configuration on the N64 (using two controllers), and even having that much precision, it was already busted for the bad guys.
I'm okay with that lol. The game has super heavy auto-aim as is.

MiguelItUp

I'll definitely hop back into this for nostalgia's sake, even if just for a bit. I loved this game SO much growing up. But I'm sure I played it so much that the current experience will leave me going, "neat", and then playing something else, lol. Just love that they did this, even if it felt like it took forever to happen, lol.

RedC

The Xbox version is a full remake.
The Xbox version is not a full remake. The XBLA version was never released and leaked last year.

It is likely Microsoft had to compromise with Nintendo and could only enhance the original game at 4k/60fps with no online while Nintendo got to add online to their version.

Freeman76

One of my all time faves but i think for me nostalgia will be nice but I dont know that I will play it that much in reality.

Top Bottom