• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden Eye 007 coming to Game Pass and Switch Online on January 27

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Apparently you only get it free if you own the DIGITAL version of Rare Replay. If you own the physical disc you are out of luck!
Apparently you cannot purchase Goldeneye separately
So, either pay for Gamepass.......and not own it.........or pony up $30 for the digital copy of Rare Replay.
Fuck that BS!!
Digital keeps winning.

stn

Apparently you only get it free if you own the DIGITAL version of Rare Replay. If you own the physical disc you are out of luck!
So, either pay for Gamepass.......and not own it.........or pony up $30 for the digital copy of Rare Replay.
Fuck that BS!!
That's a bummer! I have the disc copy. Maybe I'll just get Game Pass or wait for a sale on the digital Replay. Normally I would just buy it immediately, but Dead Space is releasing that same day, so...

Topher

Gold Member
Doom is timeless. But Goldeneye i's a completely different game and much more advanced. Fun fact: When Goldeneye got released, the term "Doom Clone" stopped being used.

I'm looking forward to trying it out. I'm becoming more of a big fan of older 3D games. Was talking about that with others discussing Oblivion the other day.

These pics look really good...

GE_Screenshot_02-5fc85f1c3965a771f83d.jpg

GE_Screenshot_01-4472b142f8e0b4404b31.jpg

The_Mike

Doom is timeless. But Goldeneye i's a completely different game and much more advanced. Fun fact: When Goldeneye got released, the term "Doom Clone" stopped being used.
Because there's been so many fps games since doom.

Doom 1 came out in 93, doom 2 in 94.

Quake in 96, quake 2 in 97
Goldeneye came out in 97 together with quake 2.

Unreal tournament in 99

Doom Clone got stripped thanks to the fps genre blooming, not because of goldeneye.

I've never heard anyone in my life say "Goldeneye 64 clone"

Yeah I ain't laughing, because I probably missed the punchline.

Topher

Gold Member
Fuck that BS!!

Yeah, but apparently it is a minor miracle that the game is being released at all with so many license holders in play.

ManaByte

Fuck that BS!!
Good thing Rare Replay regularly goes on sale for less than $10 then.

nkarafo

I used to read a lot of magazines back in the day. The term "clone" was not used anymore but a lot of FPS were "like Goldeneye" after the game's success. Every other FPS started using stealth mechanics, sniper rifles, mission objectives, etc. And while some of these features weren't exactly introduced in Goldeneye, that game was the one that mixed them all together and made it something that other games tried to copy. Kinda like how DOOM wasn't the first FPS but it was the game that did many things right and elevated the whole genre.

A lot of games would try to copy Goldeneye's success, not jusr FPS games. Until Half-life got released and the linear, scripted story segment style took over (unfortunately IMO).

Last edited:
Almost looks like an up-rezzed 1997 game....

200.gif
I was in high school when Goldeneye came out, lots of fond memories of the split screen, etc. Still looks like poo poo, but its nostalgiaing hard enough to where I will still play and enjoy.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
Remember when EA started making James Bond games that were completely than Goldeneye? Those suits there really thought it was the IP people liked and not the gameplay. Then Activision said hold my beer and released a “remake” that played like Call of Duty. This industry man… 😂

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I was in high school when Goldeneye came out, lots of fond memories of the split screen, etc. Still looks like poo poo, but its nostalgiaing hard enough to where I will still play and enjoy.

I don't know, man. I think just upscaling some of these older lower-poly count games does a lot for them. I'm playing Oblivion right now and just a few third party mods do wonders for these old games.

I don't know, man. I think just upscaling some of these older lower-poly count games does a lot for them. I'm playing Oblivion right now and just a few third party mods do wonders for these old games.
I actually prefer how they look just uprezzed as opposed to remakes. They look extremely clean and clear. Gameplay is much easier without a ton of excessive graphical detail. You can tell instantly what you can react and interact with. Nothing needs to be highlighted, etc.

Kacho

Gold Member
Same thing with Quake by Nightdive. And Turok 1&2. Technically they look like shit but I think they look lovely.

Last edited:
Oh don't get me wrong it looks way better than the original. For one the visuals are clean which I believe for the PSX and N64 era, that alone makes nearly all games look much better provided it doesn't expose how low quality the assets really are. I play a lot of Project 64 on my PC, and just moving to 1080p and stable framerates makes everything look and feel substantially better.

Nintendo is such an asshole to negotiate with. Microsoft allowed Banjo Kazooie to be on the N64 emulator and allowed Banjo (and Steve from Minecraft) to be put in Smash, yet they won't even allow Microsoft to release an updated version of Goldeneye on xbox or sell Goldeneye separately. If I was Phil Spencer, I would be losing my patience over how disrespectful Nintendo has been. "Goodwill" is not in the Nintendo vocabulary, apparently.

Topher

Gold Member
I actually prefer how they look just uprezzed as opposed to remakes. They look extremely clean and clear. Gameplay is much easier without a ton of excessive graphical detail. You can tell instantly what you can react and interact with. Nothing needs to be highlighted, etc.

"Clean" was the first word that came to my mind.

point pointing GIF by Shalita Grant

RAIDEN1

The thing is what changed from 2007 to today? ie where was the breakthrough in the legal side that wasn't there in 2007? Did it really take them more than 15 years to iron out the differences?

Kacho

Gold Member
The thing is what changed from 2007 to today? ie where was the breakthrough in the legal side that wasn't there in 2007? Did it really take them more than 15 years to iron out the differences?
I think it’s because they gifted Banjo and Goldeneye online to Nintendo and bent the knee.

The_Mike

I used to read a lot of magazines back in the day. The term "clone" was not used anymore but a lot of FPS were "like Goldeneye" after the game's success. Every other FPS started using stealth mechanics, sniper rifles, mission objectives, etc. And while some of these features weren't exactly introduced in Goldeneye, that game was the one that mixed them all together and made it something that other games tried to copy. Kinda like how DOOM wasn't the first FPS but it was the game that did many things right and elevated the whole genre.

A lot of games would try to copy Goldeneye's success, not jusr FPS games. Until Half-life got released and the linear, scripted story segment style took over (unfortunately IMO).
I suspect you might have read alot of Nintendo power, which would be obvious why you've read goldeneye clone.

I've read much from local game magazines, grew up with ign game spy planet whatever kinds game, gamereactor etc religiously daily and I've never seen the phrase goldeneye clone before.

RAIDEN1

I think it’s because they gifted Banjo and Goldeneye online to Nintendo and bent the knee.
The irony is that this game to this day won't be challenged anytime soon as the best Bond game available on Xbox and Nintendo....more so as it has been more than a decade since the last great Bond game (which is on my list of games from way back to check...along with Alpha Protocol)

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Needs some N64 blur and CRT effects to hide the simple, garish visuals here and there. These look like emulated versions before ParaLLEl fully emulated how the games really looked on N64. Also I can't tell from the brief footage, do they really only have the improved fps on the Xbox versions?

Last edited:

nkarafo

I suspect you might have read alot of Nintendo power, which would be obvious why you've read goldeneye clone.

I've read much from local game magazines, grew up with ign game spy planet whatever kinds game, gamereactor etc religiously daily and I've never seen the phrase goldeneye clone before.

I just said the "clone" word was not used.

Magazines i used to read: CV&G (UK), Gamepro (US), PC Master (Greece/UK), Unofficial N64 magazine (UK), Games Master (UK). My favorite one was CV&G.

nkarafo

Needs some N64 blur and CRT effects to hide the simple, garish visuals here and there. These look like emulated versions before ParaLLEl fully emulated how the games really looked on N64. Also I can't tell from the brief footage, do they really only have the improved fps on the Xbox versions?

Agreed. 5th gen games don't look that great when you upscale them as much. N64 in particular has some VI filters that only Angrylion and Parallel RDP can emulate. The razor sharp look of those HLE graphics plugins don't look great.

The best look for N64, IMO, is Parallel RDP ar 2x upscale. That's 480p with the filters enabled. It's just high-res enough to not look blurry but low-res enough to not look completely unnatural. And the slight softness of the N64 filters looks great at that resolution.

SaintALia

Because there's been so many fps games since doom.

Doom 1 came out in 93, doom 2 in 94.

Quake in 96, quake 2 in 97
Goldeneye came out in 97 together with quake 2.

Unreal tournament in 99

Doom Clone got stripped thanks to the fps genre blooming, not because of goldeneye.

Yeah I ain't laughing, because I probably missed the punchline.
Don't think anyone has actually ever tried to clone Goldeneye, which I always thought was weird. Closest was the Bond 'sequels' made by other devs and it's two spiritual sequels in Perfect Dark and TimeSplitters.

We had some Metal Gear Solid clones, but never any Goldeneye clones in earnest. Closest maybe was No One Lives Forever? But that wasn't even trying to copy Goldeneye.

The_Mike

Don't think anyone has actually ever tried to clone Goldeneye, which I always thought was weird.

We had some Metal Gear Solid clones, but never any Goldeneye clones in earnest. Closest maybe was No One Lives Forever? But that wasn't even trying to copy Goldeneye.
Maybe thats for a reason.

Close Up Flirting GIF

RedC

Nintendo is such an asshole to negotiate with. Microsoft allowed Banjo Kazooie to be on the N64 emulator and allowed Banjo (and Steve from Minecraft) to be put in Smash, yet they won't even allow Microsoft to release an updated version of Goldeneye on xbox or sell Goldeneye separately. If I was Phil Spencer, I would be losing my patience over how disrespectful Nintendo has been. "Goodwill" is not in the Nintendo vocabulary, apparently.
It's definitely disappointing as a consumer but it's definitely not disrespectful between the two companies. Nintendo certainly had to pay licensing fees to Microsoft for Banjo Kazooie to be in the game library in Nintendo Switch Online and use Banjo and Steve from Minecraft in Smash.

Even if I don't like it, I can understand why Nintendo, who wants to increase people to subscribe to their Online services and entice them by increasing their catalog of classic games for low cost, does not want Xbox to have a far superior version on their platforms and services, especially when Nintendo feels like it's their game and it should only be associated with their platform.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Don't think anyone has actually ever tried to clone Goldeneye, which I always thought was weird. Closest was the Bond 'sequels' made by other devs and it's two spiritual sequels in Perfect Dark and TimeSplitters.

There were some games that tried to copy it but were not necessarily FPS. Mission Impossible was the most obvious. It's just that right after GE, most FPS games would have things you didn't see in your average "Doom clone" like the sniper rifle being a standard now. Or being able to do different amounts of damage depending on which part of the body you shoot. Or having stealth elements. A lot of these things are considered natural evolution in games though. If Goldeneye didn't came along, other games would eventually make those a standard anyway.

Plus, Half-Life came along soon after and, sadly, made Goldeneye's non-linear mission based gameplay irrelevant.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Project I.G.I did try to PCfy Goldeneye. It was not quite successful but still a cool experiment and kind of a flawed cult classic, or almost. Hopefully the new one will be better. I guess games doing that style right are the newer Sniper Elite games though they can't be quite compared to GoldenEye as it was back then. GoldenEye probably inspired non FPS games like the Mission: Impossible game of that era, it was quite cinematic for its time (I mean, it's a movie game and quite realistic all things considered) so it probably paved the way for the likes of MGS, also a Hollywood style spy thriller...

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Fuck that BS!!
Same as Conker's Bad Fur Day.

excited ralph wiggum GIF

The Xbox version is a full remake.
Ummm... I don't think that's true. Feel like it's an upscaled port. And given that, the NSO version is inherently better because even though theres no matchmaking or servers, at least it has online play functionality and you can play with an authentic N64 controller.

Last edited:
Have they confirmed if the xbox version is 60fps? All I can find is Craig Duncan saying its a more "consistent" framerate. I'm just glad we have it back to be honest but 60 would be the icing on the cake.

ManaByte

Ummm... I don't think that's true. Feel like it's an upscaled port. And given that, the NSO version is inherently better because even though theres no matchmaking or servers, at least it has online play functionality and you can play with an authentic N64 controller.
The Xbox version can be played without a subscription.

Top Bottom