• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden State Warriors Owner: "Nobody cares" about Uyghur genocide.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Embarrassing statement. First, having another cause which you care more about doesnt mean you cannot express some empathy or understanding toward a legit possible human rights issue. Second, dumb movie to stay that stuff publicly

UnNamed

Banned
Who cares?

Countries who have interest to discredit China while have bigger and dangerous issues to solve in their countries?

Companies making new items there because workers are faster and cheaper?

Blue haired activists from Twitter who fill streets only to take the dog out?

High tech enthusiast waiting for the next Iphone/GPU?

People who buy over the internet on China sites because everything is cheaper?

Nobody cares.

stn

He's not wrong in the sense that many people don't truly care what is happening to the Uyghurs, but at the same time he could not have expressed himself in a worse way.

He's not wrong in the sense that many people don't truly care what is happening to the Uyghurs, but at the same time he could not have expressed himself in a worse way.
This. Plus his attempt to draw some kind of comparison to the imprisonment of actual criminals in the US to detainment and torture of entire ethnic groups and religious groups in China makes him look like a fool. If the US was rounding up all the Muslims and putting them in prison simply for being Muslims, he would have a point.

He's not getting blasted because people care about Uyghurs -- sadly he's right, not many people care.

He's getting (deservedly) blasted for the hypocrisy that he and his organization engage in on a seemingly daily basis. The NBA is a hypocritical virtue signalling organization and I've lost a lot of respect for them.

Long gone are the days of the NBA and its most popular stars staying out of politics. I remember Michael Jordan getting blasted for his "Republicans buy sneakers, too" statement, but I think he did the right thing: focusing on basketball and (at least publicly) staying out of politics.

Not sure why people look to celebrities/athletes for political opinions in the first place...

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
but at the same time he could not have expressed himself in a worse way.
Good.

I'd much rather know where someone stands in no uncertain terms.
That way I can know exactly who they are, what they stand for, and what they are involved in when I decide where to spend my money.

Unfortunately, people are generally more than willing to accept the lie and facades because the lie is more comforting than the truth.
Especially whenever there is large sums of money involved.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
These people never, under any circumstances, care about the actual issues they claim to care about. They care about MONEY and all the things that come along with it.

Max_Po

Banned
Most people ... well most " E N T R E P R E N E U R S" in America do not care or speak up because they do business deals with China.

Facism

there are about 3 million Syrians in the Gulf. and another 3 million in nations around Syria.
the few 100k that go to Europe is human trafficking. it has always been a big industry in Europe. It can be stopped by a sovereign decision like what Poland did. the opposition was from the EU administration who likely run the business. so don't blame the victims.
Around 4 million in Turkey alone at last count.

Good.

I'd much rather know where someone stands in no uncertain terms.
That way I can know exactly who they are, what they stand for, and what they are involved in when I decide where to spend my money.

Unfortunately, people are generally more than willing to accept the lie and facades because the lie is more comforting than the truth.
Especially whenever there is large sums of money involved.
This is an excellent post, and I agree with it wholeheartedly.

Being a minority myself, I'd much rather know explicitly and directly if someone is biased (racist, xenophobic, etc) -- that way I don't have to deal with that person at all in any interpersonal capacity. (Or even in a business capacity if I have the choice.)

Because the worst thing ever is hidden/secret/veiled biases that masquerade as virtuous help (for example: "the government has to give special help to you or your group of people because [x]".... "We have to lower the standards of this merit-based thing for your group because of [y]"... Etc.) Don't give me that shit, asshole. I know exactly what I'm capable or not capable of.

HoodWinked

follow up episode. they start right away to address the controversy, David Sachs makes alot of great points. Interesting perspective from Jason stating he felt guilty due to him pushing that point that ultimately got Chamath to respond then people trashing Chamath while painting him as virtuous.

Last edited:
Top Bottom