• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Goldeneye 007 achievements have popped up on trueachievements.com

Kokoloko85

Cool, hopefully it comes out so that people can finally learn what an overrated game this really is and that the only reason you liked it is because you owned an N64 and didn't know any better. Nearly every other FPS released during that timeframe was better.

For the inevtible "hurdur I plAyEd OtHeR FpS ToO and I LikEd It"

Don't care, you're still wrong.

No, you’re wrong lol

The Shepard

Absolutely loved the mission structure in goldeneye and loved how you had to do more with increased difficulty. Made every level feel like it had 3 different versions

I'm surprised that no games tried to bring this system back recently. It adds alot of replayability. Think timesplitters was the last game I played with it in.

SLB1904

Banned
I'm surprised that no games tried to bring this system back recently. It adds alot of replayability. Think timesplitters was the last game I played with it in.
i only find out about that in this thread. but again why wouldn't you go straight to the highest difficulty? cool concept nonetheless.

Last edited:

Moses85

Game is a relic of the past. It plays like shit compared to the FPS of today.

Go Away GIF

and play your dogshit cod games and let the adults play here.

lucius

This is always one first game I test on a new emulation system besides Vagrant Story, Future Cop but if it does this one ok upscaled I am good. If it really releases on Xbox I would buy it right away still is fun to play every once in a while.

Fox Mulder

but...this game is horrible by todays standards?...I guess they can sell on nostalgia alone.

Of course it will be sold on nostalgia, there’s plenty of games that do it. This is one of the most iconic N64 games and was buried ever since due to licensing.

The remaster that leaked still looks good and runs at like 60 fps.

schuey7

I think it's an open secret at this point that Xbox is going to get a 007 exclusive game in some form. Last month I answered a survey from Microsoft in which there was a question on which franchises would compel me to get/keep an xbox. Amongst them were titles like contraband, Indiana Jones and James Bond.

dorkimoe

Somethings are just better stay in the past.
Anyway 007 and MI are so under utilised ips. They could get pierce brosnam back and young Tom cruise. Profit

Oh well
Yeah I think people are in for a rude awakening. Game isn’t going to have aged well. Just hang on to your memories and let it go

Rival

Gold Member
Here I am thinking I’m old. Goldeneye was 6th grade for me. Kids huddled around the tv playing slappers only and exploding proximity mines midair
Well I think I was technically a junior in high school when it was released. But me and my friends were all playing this game constantly for 5 years at least. Bond and Mario Kart 64 we’re just constants.

Kagey K

Banned
Who da fuck is paying attention to those very hidden in the darkest possible place details? Damn...
Trueachievements is a hidden dark place?

They literally are one of the biggest Xbox sites on the web.

They have sister sites like truetrophies.com, for the blue rats.

Last edited:

Bridges

This would be so cool. After seeing Banjo go to Smash and then come to the NSO Expansion, maybe MS and Nintendo are getting along well enough to where we'll see Goldeneye in both NSO and Game Pass.

So is this a release of that remake that was in the works, or is it just a port of the OG release? I would very much prefer that remake that was never released over simply the OG N64 version. I'll still buy it if it is the OG N64 version, but it would be disappointing IMO.

Y0ssarian

Banned
I understand where some people are coming from; I played and loved this game in 1998. I realise it's not competing with modern shooters, but I am not interested in playing it at all in this day and age.

nkarafo

To people who complain about it being "dated", what other modern shooter has that kind of non-linear mission structure and replayability?

And before you mention controls, i'll remind you that the original Goldeneye did support dual analog controls using two gamepads. And even a similar control scheme to modern shooters using the D-pad and the analog stick of a single N64 gamepad (1.2 Solitare). This way it controls just like a modern shooter if you use the original N64 controller and not those shitty 3rd party controllers that ditched the trident design and some random youtuber convinced you it's better this way. You didn't know all this because neither you (or that youtuber) ever bothered to experiment with the different control options Goldeneye has.

If you use emulators, you can literally setup the native controls on a modern gamepad and have modern-like dual analog controls for both movement and direction, without modding the original game. The only difference is that Goldeneye doesn't have a dedicated grenade throwing button.

Graphics and performance are dated, sure. But i don't see why this new version isn't going to run smoother and look better.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Cool, hopefully it comes out so that people can finally learn what an overrated game this really is and that the only reason you liked it is because you owned an N64 and didn't know any better. Nearly every other FPS released during that timeframe was better.

Let me guess, Playstation fanboy who played FF7 all day back then, right?

Maybe if you did own a N64 yourself or played FPS games then, you would realize how Goldeneye was better than most in many ways.

But i'll bite. You are free to explain why Goldeneye was worse than any other FPS game during 1997.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Trueachievements is a hidden dark place?

They literally are one of the biggest Xbox sites on the web.

They have sister sites like truetrophies.com, for the blue rats.
Oh, didn't know that, literally never saw it mentioned in any news site or here on GAF... for instance, I'm not from anglosphere so that may be why

Banjo64

cumsessed
Can I just thank whoever is pushing for this project to become reality, whether it’s Rare, MS, Nintendo, the Bond estate or all of the above. It’s not going to be a massive income generator, it’s been a logistical nightmare to untangle, but somehow it seems like it’s actually going to become a reality. The best fan service in gaming history if it does come to pass.

If they put this on NSO and Game Pass day one it’s just unbelievable.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I would go nuts if this is a surprise release along with the first batch of Game Pass games for January.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

Let me guess, Playstation fanboy who played FF7 all day back then, right?

Maybe if you did own a N64 yourself or played FPS games then, you would realize how Goldeneye was better than most in many ways.

But i'll bite. You are free to explain why Goldeneye was worse than any other FPS game during 1997.
I too would like to know Rykan Rykan what fps games were you playing on console that were so much better when this came out.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
*installl mouse mod*

plays as fresh as ever

While that's cool as fuck I think playing the game this way will kill all the challenge.

You don't need it tho. I just replayed the game this past 2020 and it was surprisingly fun. Game's designed in a way that it can run at 15fps and you are stil able to play perfectly.

Rykan

I too would like to know Rykan Rykan what fps games were you playing on console that were so much better when this came out.
The fact that you need to add "On console" pretty much speaks for itself. The vast majority of FPS games came out on PC and all of them are better than GE. Want to know why? Because the controller is complete garbage and even more so for FPS games that require aiming. This game doesn't have aim assists, its straigth up Auto Aim.

You could technically change the controls to somethat "slightly" resembles modern FPS but its still complete garbage due to the crappy analog stick which was never designed for precise aiming.

The fact that fanboys are unironically trying to argue that "You could use two controllers!" is a sad joke. Console FPS require two analog sticks to function properly. The multiplayer is just as bad and the only reason you enjoyed 4 player splitscreen on a 4:3 ratio at 15 fps is because you were like 10 years old at the time.

This game came out 1 year after Quake and in the same year as Quake 2. It came out only one year before Unreal, HL and Rainbow Six. GE became obselete within just one year of its release if you compare it to PC shooters released around that time frame.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
The fact that you need to add "On console" pretty much speaks for itself. The vast majority of FPS games came out on PC and all of them are better than GE. Want to know why? Because the controller is complete garbage and even more so for FPS games that require aiming. This game doesn't have aim assists, its straigth up Auto Aim.

You could technically change the controls to somethat "slightly" resembles modern FPS but its still complete garbage due to the crappy analog stick which was never designed for precise aiming.

The fact that fanboys are unironically trying to argue that "You could use two controllers!" is a sad joke. Console FPS require two analog sticks to function properly. The multiplayer is just as bad and the only reason you enjoyed 4 player splitscreen on a 4:3 ratio at 15 fps is because you were like 10 years old at the time.

This game came out 1 year after Quake and in the same year as Quake 2. It came out only one year before Unreal, HL and Rainbow Six. GE became obselete within just one year of its release if you compare it to PC shooters released around that time frame.
So nothing on console then. Got it. That's what we are talking about. Fail.

Rykan

So nothing on console then. Got it. That's what we are talking about. Fail.
You fail so hard that you actually win. You responded to my post where I specifically mentioned that the only reason people like it because it was on the N64 and that it doesn't hold up to other FPS and now you're saying "We are talking about console only". No, we aren't talking about console only. You are. But yes, every single FPS released on console prior to dual analog is garbage and that includes this game as well.

that the only reason you liked it is because you owned an N64 and didn't know any better. Nearly every other FPS released during that timeframe was better.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Better not be this piece of shit https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GoldenEye_007_(2010_video_game)

Wait did Goldeneye have auto aim or was it Perfect Dark? I remember big ass red cross hairs when aiming but not auto aim in Goldeneye 007.
I remember doing split screen with golden gun with my cousin and friends with a blanket cutting off our view lol.

Lognor

Banned

For the inevtible "hurdur I plAyEd OtHeR FpS ToO and I LikEd It"

Don't care, you're still wrong.
What games specifically? I had a N64 and PS2. Don't recall any game being close to what Goldeneye was at the time. Would love to know which games are better.

Top Bottom