• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoldenEye 007 |OT| 4-Player Split Screen James Bonding

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Because there's been so many fps games since doom.

Doom 1 came out in 93, doom 2 in 94.

Quake in 96, quake 2 in 97
Goldeneye came out in 97 together with quake 2.

Unreal tournament in 99

Doom Clone got stripped thanks to the fps genre blooming, not because of goldeneye.

I've never heard anyone in my life say "Goldeneye 64 clone"

Yeah I ain't laughing, because I probably missed the punchline.
Damn goldeneye was sooo much better compared to quake 2

First fps after golden eye i cared for was UT

alf717

The amount of RNG and luck to unlock the Facility cheat is insane. Makes me wonder how I pulled in off when I was a teen. So far I'm down to 2:16. This game is still amazing and holds up well for me.

BlackTron

The amount of RNG and luck to unlock the Facility cheat is insane. Makes me wonder how I pulled in off when I was a teen. So far I'm down to 2:16. This game is still amazing and holds up well for me.

I could do it again but I get a nagging feeling a lot of these cheat objectives would be even more frustrating without original hardware. The precision of the original control stick and tapping C buttons to make adjustments is lost. I could play the game with a Halo scheme on Xbox just for fun but if you want me to unlock those cheats forget that shit. The game was designed with something else in mind.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I could do it again but I get a nagging feeling a lot of these cheat objectives would be even more frustrating without original hardware. The precision of the original control stick and tapping C buttons to make adjustments is lost. I could play the game with a Halo scheme on Xbox just for fun but if you want me to unlock those cheats forget that shit. The game was designed with something else in mind.

Yeah strafing is a bitch

Bond007

Games is still amazing and holding up perfectly for me personally. Beat the main story twice and running through my favorite maps/ working on Aztec etc.

Last edited:

Porcile

There isn't a great amount of luck required. I think the chance for Dr Doak to spawn in a position that's easily doable for an average player is something like like 4/7. On Facility the way to get the cheat is to be somewhat decent at strafing around guards and be accurate with your gun for the guards you do have to kill. If you can get those three guards in that long corridor without taking a chunk of damage you will be in a good position. Also shoot at doors to get guards to open them. Getting Doak in the lab area is ideal, preferably him just standing in the corridor, but the other two rooms he spawns in are good enough too.

The world record for Facility 00 Agent is 51 seconds and people have completed the level in 007 Mode within the cheat time with all guard stats maxed out (one shot death, 10 headshots to kill them and crazy shenanigans like that.)

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Never played it before so I'll be interested to see how if it lives up to its reputation.
Have fun! Just in keep mind the difficulty in this game not only affects how strong the enemies are, but it also adds more objectives to each level. I'd recommen any newcomers to stick to Agent, beat the game, then move on to Secret Agent and repeat.

Deerock71

So is this game a remastered/recreated version or an emulation? I'm not sure if this is just disingenuous marketing or a technical difference that I can't understand. Can anyone shed some light on this and the technicalities involved? Thanks.

From the trailer:

PhJLfcq.jpg

Disingenuous marketing is redundant.

Romulus

I was thinking yesterday I still have this game on an emulator for the original Xbox lol. A 2001 console without optimization runs this at a better framerate than switch, potentially xsx lol.

SomeGit

The XBOX version devs claim to have gimped it on purpose. According to them, some of it's technical issues (like the polygon seams and wobbly geometry) were made on purpose because according to them "it's more authentic".

Of course, this is bullshit. These issues aren't authentic (N64 never had games with wobbly polygons, that was the biggest feature it had over the PS1). And yes, there were polygon seams but not as often as this version. And if they cared so much about "authenticity" then why did they bother with HD resolution? If the N64 hides the seams in low res as they say, then they should have found a way to hide them in HD as well since the "hidden seams" is indeed the authentic experience after all.

Also, the filtering is wrong in this version. So their "authenticity" logic gets thrown out of the window.

Not that i believed them in the first place, i think this is just a shitty emulation attempt they pass as a "feature".

Stick to homebrew emulators.

It's not BS, the microcode/renderer Goldeneye uses has limited precision for polygons, it's not something unique to the Xbox version even on a plain old PC emulator you get wobbly polygons:

It just becomes obvious at high resolutions, but even the Switch Online version has it if you look hard enough.

Last edited:

nkarafo

It's not BS, the microcode/renderer Goldeneye uses has limited precision for polygons, it's not something unique to the Xbox version even on a plain old PC emulator you get wobbly polygons:

It just becomes obvious at high resolutions, but even the Switch Online version has it if you look hard enough.

What emulator/GFX plugin you are using?

If those are accurate options then i stand corrected.

How about the polygon seams in Surface? Are they so plentiful in this setup?

JLB

Banned

Funny enough I recall having this issue when playing Halo Infinite on the weapons texture. I think it was fixed later.

SomeGit

What emulator/GFX plugin you are using?

If those are accurate options then i stand corrected.

How about the polygon seams in Surface? Are they so plentiful in this setup?
It's mupen64 with ParaLLEl-RDP, I can't compare the seams they seem around the same, especially under the dam and in the tunnel but without putting them head to head it's hard to say. I don't think Code Mystics are BSing anyone, I truly do believe they've done what was asked and their emulation tech is decent enough, I mean it works well for the other N64 games on Rare Replay.

This doesn't excuse how disappointing this is version is, hard to be hyped for a feature-less rom and emulator combo, especially when the 360 version is right there.

Last edited:

nkarafo

It's mupen64 with ParaLLEl-RDP, I can't compare the seams they seem around the same, especially under the dam and in the tunnel but without putting them head to head it's hard to say. I don't think Code Mystics are BSing anyone, I truly do believe they've done what was asked and their emulation tech is decent enough, I mean it works well for the other N64 games on Rare Replay.

I admit i was wrong about the wobbly polys but i still think their logic about authenticity is wrong. Because it seems like they pick and choose what glitch to improve and what to keep. For instance, mip-mapping is gone. You can see it's there in your video (the ground texture in the distance is blurry) but in the XBOX version they removed it because at such high resolution mip mapping looks pretty bad. By removing it, it looks like the game has a good amount of anisotropic filtering. But that's not "authentic".

They chose to remove mip-mapping because it looks bad in HD, yet they kept other things that look bad in HD like the wobbly polygons and the seams? Those were also hidden in the N64. I don't get their rules. It's their project, i get it, they can do whatever they want. But here they break their own rules they claim they follow.

SomeGit

I admit i was wrong about the wobbly polys but i still think their logic about authenticity is wrong. Because it seems like they pick and choose what glitch to improve and what to keep. For instance, mip-mapping is gone. You can see it's there in your video (the ground texture in the distance is blurry) but in the XBOX version they removed it because at such high resolution mip mapping looks pretty bad. By removing it, it looks like the game has a good amount of anisotropic filtering. But that's not "authentic".

They chose to remove mip-mapping because it looks bad in HD, yet they kept other things that look bad in HD like the wobbly polygons and the seams? Those were also hidden in the N64. I don't get their rules. It's their project, i get it, they can do whatever they want. But here they break their own rules they claim they follow.
I can't prove this just a hunch, but maybe the mip-mapping is forced on Series consoles since it's "technically" an Xbox One game and the BC forces 16X AF. I'd have to check how it runs on Xbox One S/X, I might be completely off on this.

I think that's the thing, it isn't their project from what they've been saying they've done as asked. I believe this is more on Microsoft's/Rare side than CM.

Last edited:
Finally beat the game on 00 Agent difficulty. Heads up If anybody is an achievement hunter, I did not get the achievement for it for some reason.

nkarafo

I can't prove this just a hunch, but maybe the mip-mapping is forced on Series consoles since it's "technically" an Xbox One game and the BC forces 16X AF. I'd have to check how it runs on Xbox One S/X, I might be completely off on this.

I think that's the thing, it isn't their project from what they've been saying they've done as asked. I believe this is more on Microsoft's/Rare side than CM.

Its not really anisotropic though because it affects all textures not only the ones that are angled. Its called mip mapping in the N64 language.

SomeGit

Its not really anisotropic though because it affects all textures not only the ones that are angled. Its called mip mapping in the N64 language.

It's called mip mapping in general, but I cannot see any difference aside from the off angle textures, sorry. That’s why my immediate though was AF.

This is same screen as the one above on Series X, other than the off angle:

H10pV5b.png

Last edited:

nkarafo

It's called mip mapping in general, but I cannot see any difference aside from the off angle textures, sorry. That’s why my immediate though was AF.

This is same screen as the one above on Series X, other than the off angle:

H10pV5b.png

Turn around and look at the tower but step back a bit. In the upscaled Parallel RDP (that has mip mapping like the real N64) you can see the textures on the tower and surrounding walls changing to lower quality ones as you gain distance. They look pretty bad in HD but on the N64 it's not as noticeable. So yeah, it doesn't affect all textures but certainly does affect more than just the angled ones. This does not happen on the XBOX.

Not sure if this is mip-mapping or LOD. In GlideN64 the setting is called mip-mapping but in Parallel RDP it's called LOD. The effect of turning those ON/OFF is the exact same.

Edit: Seems like the XBOX version is also missing the blueish distance fog in the Dam level, if i'm not mistaken.

Last edited:

SomeGit

Turn around and look at the tower but step back a bit. In the upscaled Parallel RDP (that has mip mapping like the real N64) you can see the textures on the tower and surrounding walls changing to lower quality ones as you gain distance. They look pretty bad in HD but on the N64 it's not as noticeable. So yeah, it doesn't affect all textures but certainly does affect more than just the angled ones. This does not happen on the XBOX.

Not sure if this is mip-mapping or LOD. In GlideN64 the setting is called mip-mapping but in Parallel RDP it's called LOD. The effect of turning those ON/OFF is the exact same.
Sorry dude, I don't see any significant texture differences over the Xbox version, you have to keep in mind that Parallel is capped at 8x upscaling, so 2048x1792.

Captura-de-Ecr-7.png
Captura-de-Ecr-8.png

Last edited:

nkarafo

Sorry dude, I don't see any significant texture differences over the Xbox version, you have to keep in mind that Parallel is capped at 8x upscaling, so 2048x1792.

Captura-de-Ecr-7.png
Captura-de-Ecr-8.png

You have native LOD disabled in RDP, that's why. It may be disabled by default in some emulators.

Here's how it normally looks (Native LOD enabled at 4x upscale):

q9mdyAd.png

This is how the N64 native mip-mapping/LOD really is. But the low resolution hides it. You have to be closer for the normal textures to appear.

If you disable it it will create problems in other games (like in Mario 64, the Peach/Bowser transition in the painting above the first boss level doesn't work).

Obviously Goldeneye looks much better with it disabled but it's not authentic.

Last edited:

SomeGit

You have native LOD disabled in RDP, that's why. It may be disabled by default in some emulators.

Here's how it normally looks (Native LOD enabled at 4x upscale):

This is how the N64 native mip-mapping/LOD really is. But the low resolution hides it. You have to be closer for the normal textures to appear.

If you disable it it will create problems in other games (like in Mario 64, the Peach/Bowser transition in the painting above the first boss level doesn't work).

Obviously Goldeneye looks much better with it disabled but it's not authentic.
Well I have, because every emulator disables it by default because it's only meant to work for the game's native resolution, it doesn't make sense to keep enable when upscaling both GlideN64 and ParaLLEl warn about that. That issue is the only gameplay related issue it resolves, but since this isn't Mario 64, who cares? Sorry I was thrown off because it was something you said was noticible in the first video (which obviously it wasn't).

That's starting to be nitpicky, Goldeneye also renders at 256x224, are we going to complain that it isn't authentic to run at 4K? Or it's not authentic to have a modern dual analog setup?
The reason they were saying it was "authentic" it's because it's a percision issue with how the game renders, fixing it would require more work than just emulating the RDP well or not. It's not an emulation issue.

Last edited:

Deerock71

I'll say the framerate has been improved from the original dramatically from what I recall, and this is on the lowly Switch.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Not only did they do they job asked, they most likely were under very stringent requirements in terms what they were allowed to do and not do.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Not only did they do they job asked, they most likely were under very stringent requirements in terms what they were allowed to do and not do.
True, especially on the Switch side of things. Nintendo markets their "Online expansion pack" to be a way to play their old back-catalog of games from their previous systems. They're marketing the nostalgia.

If you put too many new coats of paint on this game, it becomes a remaster, and doesn't really fit with the brand.

Rickeh

I'm convinced Bunker on 00 Agent is impossible. There are like 5,000 enemies coming at you.
you can use the throwing knives found at the bottom of the well to the right of the cell. (use the magnet watch). You can at least stealth your way to the room with the safe and hunker down a bit. (couple guards patrolling, lob some knives at the guards standing in the safe room). The room at the end (with the locked door) has multiple spawning guards, and is best to run in and out/hunker down to get the clipboard (i think). There is no need to go the wall mounted gun route.

Im not 100% but i think if you fire a gun the guards are alerted, if the enemy fires then they are not. Hence the throwing knives option might be viable.

Also if you think this is bad wait until the archives level on 00 agent, lol. Its non stop spawning at the start of that level.

Drew1440

Noticed this happening on my One X, Sounds similar to what happens with PlayStation emulation, subpixel precision is able to fix that for most games.

alf717

I did it! Wish Switch clips were longer than 30 seconds. When I got to the labs before the decoder door and I pick up some super speed and then used Trevelyan as a bullet shield. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

SCB3

I played the first 2 levels on Switch and Xbox Series X and I gotta say, the controls on Switch by default are rough, I really want to get the Switch N64 Controller and see (I also want to replay Majoras Mask as well with it) I liked the more modern Xbox style and tbh it runs very very well for me

Slightly addicting as I accidently finished the game on Agent just messing around on it

nkarafo

I forgot how difficult Control is on 00 Agent trying to protect Natalya.

This was literally the reason i bought an Action Replay back in the day, so i could unlock the last level. It was this level and another one or two that i was stuck forever. 00 Agent was always bullshit level difficulty for me.

Oh and a few weeks after i bought the cheat cart, a bunch of button cheats were leaked in magazines because that's my luck, lol. Yeah, those are cheats that you can use and still legit finish the levels, unlike the unlocked cheat menu.

Btw, do the button cheats work in these new releases? From the internet:

Enter these cheat codes on Controller 1 during gameplay at any time in singeplayer mode:

Invincibility

L + DOWN
R + C-RIGHT
R + C-UP
L + RIGHT
L + C-DOWN
R + C-UP
L + RIGHT
R + DOWN
L + LEFT
L + R + C-RIGHT

All Guns

L + R + DOWN
L + C-LEFT
L + C-RIGHT
L + R + C-LEFT
L + DOWN
L + C-DOWN
R + C-LEFT
L + R + C-RIGHT
R + UP
L + C-LEFT

Last edited:
Got all achievements, first game on Xbox I’ve ever got 100% for. What a trip down memory lane this was, absolutely loved it, incredible game.

Such a bummer they don’t have matchmaking for multiplayer.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

The mystery is though.....and we may never find out is why did they not contact most of the original team to do this HD-makeover or bring the port over? They may have been able to give the game even more enhancements than what we got already....but Microsoft and Nintendo did not contact even one of the original members of the team behind the game to see if they wanted to be a part of it

Deerock71

The mystery is though.....and we may never find out is why did they not contact most of the original team to do this HD-makeover or bring the port over? They may have been able to give the game even more enhancements than what we got already....but Microsoft and Nintendo did not contact even one of the original members of the team behind the game to see if they wanted to be a part of it
Wouldn't most of those 7 guys be old retired millionaires by now?

RAIDEN1

Wouldn't most of those 7 guys be old retired millionaires by now?
Well not quite they have said on social media that they would have been more than happy to be part of the project, they would have known best as to what enhancements they could bring which wasn't possible in 1997....outside of the HD lick of paint

SegaManAU

Gold Member
Finally beat the game on 00 Agent difficulty. Heads up If anybody is an achievement hunter, I did not get the achievement for it for some reason.
Yep. Something is up with the achievements.

They take 30 secs to 60 secs to unlock. Sometimes you beat a level and they don't unlock. I finished the game and I didn't get the achievement either. Reading online and people are saying they deleted the game from their hard drive and played on the cloud and then the achievements worked. p]Pretty annoying. Possibly something to do with the quick resume?

Yep. Something is up with the achievements.

They take 30 secs to 60 secs to unlock. Sometimes you beat a level and they don't unlock. I finished the game and I didn't get the achievement either. Reading online and people are saying they deleted the game from their hard drive and played on the cloud and then the achievements worked. p]Pretty annoying. Possibly something to do with the quick resume?
I have a solution for you. If you wanna get 100% you’re going to have to do this anyway. Get the invincibility cheat by beating Facility on 00 Agent within the time limit, then breeze through the missions with the cheat enabled, once you beat the level that didn’t trigger properly, the achievement will pop, but I suggest staying in the menu for 30 to 60 seconds before starting the next mission to give it time since they are delayed like you mentioned. That’s what I did, I had to replay it all the way to jungle, but with the cheat enabled it was really easy.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Jonathan Ferguson, a weapons expert and Keeper of Firearms & Artillery at the Royal Armouries, breaks down more of the weaponry of GoldenEye 007, including the iconic Klobb SMG, James Bond’s signature PP7, the RC-P90, and of course, the Golden Gun itself.

00:00 - Opening
00:59 - PP7
02:41 - KF7 Soviet
04:03 - Sniper Rifle
05:40 - Phantom
06:56 - Auto Shotgun
08:32 - Grenade Launcher
09:56 - Klobb
12:41 - AR33
15:31 - RC-P90
17:57 - D5K
20:11 - Rocket Launcher
21:19 - Cougar Magnum
23:09 - Moonraker Laser
23:55 - Golden Gun
25:18 - Ending

In the latest video in the Firearm Expert Reacts series, Jonathan Ferguson--a weapons expert and Keeper of Firearms & Artillery at the Royal Armouries--breaks down the guns of GoldenEye 007 and compares them to their potential real-life counterparts.

JayK47

So I picked up the physical copy of Rare Replay hoping to play this. Well, only the digital copy comes with 007. If you have the physical copy, tough shit. I am pretty annoyed by this.

Deerock71

So I picked up the physical copy of Rare Replay hoping to play this. Well, only the digital copy comes with 007. If you have the physical copy, tough shit. I am pretty annoyed by this.
It's sitting on my shelf, giving me the golden...
david schwimmer middle finger GIF

Top Bottom