• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google is closing down its Stadia cloud streaming service.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Google is a public listed company, thus any news regarding its operations affects stock price. There is no other way to do it, you drop the news almost at the same time to everyone.
Meh.
I've always worked for publicly traded companies and the 'tightest' timeline from layoffs to public announcement was having all the stuff wrapped up by noon and then announced after the NYSE closed.
Longest lead time was 3 months.
Also in this scenario the 'meetings notices' went out like a week earlier. It was just a matter if you're going to be in the meeting by the time it starts.

It's absolutely absurd to send out an early, early AM email to have a mandatory meeting at 830AM that same day, in the middle of the week, not aligned with a quarterly earnings report, that you're all being let go.
Absolutely screams mismanagement and neglect.
And this is the second time the same thing happened.
I blame Phil.

Last edited:

Jaybe

That sucks. Hopefully if won't take a lot of effort to port it to PC or console.
So I just had to look this up. It’s already on Steam…. 1 review. And for some reason the trailer has a human child.

6xXAcq6.png

Iced Arcade

AdmiredEachJackal-size_restricted.gif

which could/would have been if xbox and sony didn't start acquiring studios/publishers the last couple years.

What do you mean?
how is that confusing? only so many ways to butter a piece of bread, home slice.

Google could have snatched up bluepoint, Housemarque, Bungie (who they were really tight with and pushing with Destiny 2), Bethesda, Activision etc and it would have been a whole different story for consoles.

I mean, yes. Google did close Stadia but if I'm understanding correctly what you are saying is that if Google had bought the studios Stadia wouldn't need to shut down. Sorry if I misunderstood.

My argument is that it wouldn't have made that much of a difference because the issues with Stadia is not only the lack of games (TBH I don't even know who extensive is their catalogue). And my supporting argument is that if purchasing studios was the definitive solution to success in this industry then Microsoft would be steamrolling the competition which is not the case.

Nobody wants to use Stadia because their business model is crap and because they didn't come through with everything they promised. They only have 6 million users if I remember correctly, what was the last console that sold less than 10 mil?

I mean, it's really just beating a dead horse. I thought that opinion was interesting and decided to share mine. That's all :)

cmt look at it GIF by The Ed Bassmaster Show

Wii U wasn't even that bad. Just an ordinary console where the tablet idea didn't catch on. It had many redeeming features.

Stadia was a disaster and many predicted it's downfall from the outset. Surprised Google themselves didn't see the writing on the wall.

The issue with the Wii U was not the tablet, but the name and advertising confused consumers who thought it was an add on for the Wii. Not a brand new platform. Couple this with a complete lack of games for *months* and an incredibly slow trickle of exclusives led to it failing to gain a foothold in the market.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Spencer playing some 4D chess there, basically dickslapping Google out of the cloud streaming market with that Bethesda purchase. And warning all other major players.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I don't know why devs think they should have been told it was shutting down in advance of all the Stadia teams and all the public. To be fair Google couldn't have done it any other way. Closed with immediate effect.

If anyone had advance notice it would have been all over the Internet within hours if not minutes. At least this way Google were in control of the message rather than being forced to either confirm or deny before they were ready.

Is tough on the devs and it's tough on the Stadia team but I don't see they could have done it any different.
This + stock possibly being affected and thus possibility for insider trading and a huge mess. It's like people on the Internet never worked in a professional setting in their lives.

Even Phil e-mail - well, you have to thank the 'politically correct' culture to put everything in neutral language, otherwise there will be always someone being upset and crying over it.

Even if they announced it to staff in the e-mail Kotaku would still cry foul over the fact it was done over e-mail and not in person.

Rykan

The point of cloud is for people on the go too. You could stream games on a low powered piece of hardware or current cell phone, not have to install giant files, and just resume your game from any compatible piece of hardware that has the cloud streaming service. At least that's the theory. And it's a big bonus for people in poorer countries because just about everyone has a smartphone, but not everyone has money to buy a console or good PC rig. So just cloud it on whatever device you have.

Who knows how big cloud streaming is and what the potential is.
That is where the reality of the situation differs from the ideal. Most of these games are designed to be played with a controller and have terrible touch screen controls. So now you need to bring your phone, a controller, and the strap to attach your phone to the controller to play games on the go. How many people are realistically going to do that on their daily commute? On top of that, streaming games requires a high use of data.

It's not a big bonus for people in poorer countries at all. Streaming games requires a very good infrastructure and high speed internet. I used Stadia in a good environment: High speed internet, cabled connection using Chrome Cast ultra, official controller hooked up to wiFi to directly connect to Stadia servers and about a 30 minute drive away from the data center.

Even under those circumstance, the experience was "Good". Input delay was tolerable, image quality was decent, though you could still tell it was being streamed. Playing on Wi-Fi was a crappy experience.

Cloud streaming has potential, sure. But we are not years away from that. We are decades away before Streaming games becomes even remotely comparable to native input and all the money and effort going into Stadia and Xcloud is colossal waste of money and effort.

Topher

Gold Member
Spencer playing some 4D chess there, basically dickslapping Google out of the cloud streaming market with that Bethesda purchase. And warning all other major players.

Nah, Phil Harrison is using Bethesda as an excuse but Stadia was just a shitshow from the beginning. It would have failed even if MS had not bought Bethesda.

Rykan

Uh, no. Native input has massive lag already, so another ~20ms or so means nothing.
You have 20ms input lag when you have high speed internet and live on top of a data center. That audience is incredibly small and that's just input lag were talking about.

The added input lag for most people will easily be 80~100ms or more and that's using a wired connection.

Last edited:
ouch, this must hurt:

They worked for 4-5 months and when everything was ready....Stadia is dead

If they made a good game, then what's keeping them from releasing it on actual platforms?

But, I'm skeptical this, "Jump Challenge" game is any better than the dozens of shpvelware titles that flood the eShop and PSN every week.

If they made a good game, then what's keeping them from releasing it on actual platforms?

But, I'm skeptical this, "Jump Challenge" game is any better than the dozens of shpvelware titles that flood the eShop and PSN every week.

Someone found that the game was already published on Steam. They had to work for 4-5 months to make the port to Stadia. More than the game itself, how many developers may have experienced this situation? It was a waste of money and time.

anothertech

I'm kinda sad google didn't blow us away and hit it out of the park.

If they really invested in some hardcore developers and had done it all right with multiple exclusives and a hard hitting AAA at launch I feel like some much needed changes could have benefitted the industry.

Shame how it went down really.

GHG

Gold Member
I'm kinda sad google didn't blow us away and hit it out of the park.

If they really invested in some hardcore developers and had done it all right with multiple exclusives and a hard hitting AAA at launch I feel like some much needed changes could have benefitted the industry.

Shame how it went down really.

Nothing about streaming benefits the industry, especially not one that's tied to a subscription service.

Hope this is a lesson to everyone who obsessess over subscription services. All that money spent but when it's gone, it's gone. They don't give a fuck. Suckers.

Last edited:

anothertech

Nothing about streaming benefits the industry, especially not one that's tied to a subscription service.

Hope this is a lesson to everyone who obsessess over subscription services. All that money spent but when it's gone, it's gone. They don't give a fuck. Suckers.
I don't know man. Maybe how it currently is ya. But with tech advancement it could and most likely will be the best and most convenient way to play some day.

Not that I think owning your property isn't better. But I'm so fucking glad cable TV and commercials during shows are a thing of the past for me. If there's something I like I sub to the service. If I like it enough now I go buy it outright.

I never ever have to sit through a Kmart commercial for 6 minutes so I can see the next few minutes of star trek or whatever I'm watching.

It could be like that with game subs. Never paying for dlc or expansions again as long as your subbed to the service. Skipping all the mtx and gaining access to everything from day one if you're subbed.

It's not like that now I know, but there are alot of ways it could benefit everyone if done right.

GHG

Gold Member
I don't know man. Maybe how it currently is ya. But with tech advancement it could and most likely will be the best and most convenient way to play some day.

Not that I think owning your property isn't better. But I'm so fucking glad cable TV and commercials during shows are a thing of the past for me. If there's something I like I sub to the service. If I like it enough now I go buy it outright.

I never ever have to sit through a Kmart commercial for 6 minutes so I can see the next few minutes of star trek or whatever I'm watching.

It could be like that with game subs. Never paying for dlc or expansions again as long as your subbed to the service. Skipping all the mtx and gaining access to everything from day one if you're subbed.

It's not like that now I know, but there are alot of ways it could benefit everyone if done right.

TV and music are perfectly suited to streaming because they are passive forms of entertainment.

Gaming is active, it is input led. It is not suited to streaming and never will be as long as packet loss and latency exist.

This obsession with attempting to replicate the success that TV and music have had with streaming will continually fall flat on it's face unless there are great advancements in Internet technology on a global scale.

GreatnessRD

Fuck Google.

Also sending prayers to those who will lose their jobs because of this. And for those who invested in this garbage tier streaming service that will lose everything once it closes.

GreatnessRD

Thankfully, Google is refunding their customers everything they paid.
Oh sweet! So they were paid beta testers for Google's next attempt then. I redact the last statement. Shout out to you, pimp!

*Didn't read the link or OP's underlying quote. Just came to say Fuck Google, really

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

TV and music are perfectly suited to streaming because they are passive forms of entertainment.

Gaming is active, it is input led. It is not suited to streaming and never will be as long as packet loss and latency exist.

This obsession with attempting to replicate the success that TV and music have had with streaming will continually fall flat on it's face unless there are great advancements in Internet technology on a global scale.

It’s because there’s billions of TVs and mobile devices to stream on and potentially reach people beyond consoles and PCs. Games can be developed around the streaming limitations.

Google will probably try again. They didn’t even care enough to flex their cash and buy EA or something. MS is buying up companies expecting giants like Google and Amazon to enter gaming some day.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Until they break the laws of physics itself, lol.

ZoukGalaxy

This.

People don't get it.

Corporates neither: they just try to replicate a magic formula in hope to print money.
Loop Money GIF

But they fail continuously, instead of that, they only managed to print infinite shit services.
craving ice cream GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski

Halcyon

I liked my stadia for what it was. I played Red Dead 2 for hundreds of hours in between home and sitting in the hospital while my wife was battling cancer.

I am a bit sad that all my games and saves will just go poof but I guess it just gives me an excuse to actually go try to grab a PS5.

Nyxir

I liked my stadia for what it was. I played Red Dead 2 for hundreds of hours in between home and sitting in the hospital while my wife was battling cancer.

I am a bit sad that all my games and saves will just go poof but I guess it just gives me an excuse to actually go try to grab a PS5.
I hope your wife feels better now.
Fuck cancer.

Company with a memed-on track record for shutting down services is surprised when nobody trusts their gaming service enough to spend money.

Surprised Meme GIF

Edit - They unironically might have gotten more business if they informed people from the start they would refund them in/when they killed it.

Last edited:

FStubbs

It’s because there’s billions of TVs and mobile devices to stream on and potentially reach people beyond consoles and PCs. Games can be developed around the streaming limitations.

Google will probably try again. They didn’t even care enough to flex their cash and buy EA or something. MS is buying up companies expecting giants like Google and Amazon to enter gaming some day.
They are probably defending against Tencent.

Top Bottom