• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google is closing down its Stadia cloud streaming service.

twilo99

I think they had one at launch? Some indie adventure/puzzle game or whatever.

Yeah, it sounds like it was more of an experimental project for them, they seem to do that a lot with different projects.

The tech behind it seems to be superior to anything else out there so it will be shame if it goes to waste.

marquimvfs

Can I still buy the joystick and still be refunded? Is it any good for pc gaming?

Edit: Nop! No longer available to purchase.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

What do you mean?
how is that confusing? only so many ways to butter a piece of bread, home slice.

Google could have snatched up bluepoint, Housemarque, Bungie (who they were really tight with and pushing with Destiny 2), Bethesda, Activision etc and it would have been a whole different story for consoles.

wolywood

EQcGcaa.jpg
EQcGcaa.jpg

EQcGcaa.jpg
AqasIi4.jpg

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
I just checked his bio which shows all the times he's joined and left companies. No joke, every time he resigns from a company its when the company or product line has tanked to its worst. Then he resigns and joins another company to do the same 3 years later.
Dude's the Antichrist.

Gone

Banned
Guess it was inevitable.

Without your own library of games and a big third party support you don't stand a chance.

I heard from friends that the latency was amazing so hopefully more companies can make use of it.

kubricks

And nothing of value was lost.

WiiU will at least be remembered for the great games it produces, Stadia will always be remembered as a failure.

And don't get it wrong they don't refund the games out of good will, they did it because the damage and potential lawsuit they are going to face far exceed refunding everything.

And nothing of value was lost.

WiiU will at least be remembered for the great games it produces, Stadia will always be remembered as a failure.

And don't get it wrong they don't refund the games out of good will, they did it because the damage and potential lawsuit they are going to face far exceed refunding everything.
And there were so few people using the service, the cost to refund the games was minimal.

Kumomeme

funny that before lot of people including insider, developers claim that Stadia would be 'game changer'. to the point there bunch of people confidently predict Stadia will make big presence and stand tall alongside Playstation and Xbox(not counting Nintendo) even before this generation started.

there also bunch of people believe streaming particularly this services will kill traditional console. just like the claim how mobile phone will kill consoles before lmao.

there lot of bickering about this lol

such a waste of potential. they should be 'a step ahead' compared to other streaming services. but in the end..whatever the reason is, google always gonna be google.

google-graveyard-snippet-1.png

RIP Stadia

Tonight Show Rip GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Last edited:

angrod14

Do you guys think someday the internet connection/speed will be so advanced that there will be no quality difference (resolution, frame rate, stability, and input response) between a streamed game and one running on a console? Because if that never happens then consoles are here to stay (hopefully).

GhostOfTsu

Banned
there also bunch of people believe streaming particularly this services will kill traditional console. just like the claim how mobile phone will kill consoles before.
Those people are now saying the same thing about xCloud, they think it's the last gen for consoles and their savior will make gaming possible on every screen and reach billions.

Thing is, the general public doesn't give a fuck about cloud gaming and never will. Sony tried but gave up in 2017. Stadia is now dead. Luna is going nowhere.

Cloud gaming is more niche than VR, it doesn't matter if you put it on every phone/tablet/tv or toilet.

JLB

Banned
Those people are now saying the same thing about xCloud, they think it's the last gen for consoles and their savior will make gaming possible on every screen and reach billions.

Thing is, the general public doesn't give a fuck about cloud gaming and never will. Sony tried but gave up in 2017. Stadia is now dead. Luna is going nowhere.

Cloud gaming is more niche than VR, it doesn't matter if you put it on every phone/tablet/tv or toilet.

I recall many people saying the same thing about physical format not so long ago.
Streaming is the future, like it or not. Stadia and psnow failed, luna probably will fail and even xcloud could fail, but streaming still plays on another league.
If sony and microsoft want to reach a 500m userbase, a traditional physical console doesnt have the capacity to scale. Let aline on the current shortage reality.

Three

People complain that VR isn't going to be ready for primetime because of the inconvenience of a wire but then think people are going to be happy right now streaming their games on the train on a flaky mobile connection carrying a gamepad around. I can't even keep a steady connection on the overground trains on the most reliable network with the best coverage here.

Last edited:

Fahdis

What an ignorant take.

Fahdis

Do you guys think someday the internet connection/speed will be so advanced that there will be no quality difference (resolution, frame rate, stability, and input response) between a streamed game and one running on a console? Because if that never happens then consoles are here to stay (hopefully).

It'a already here on GeForce Now. Most people have shit internet connections as seen above.

Rykan

Can I still buy the joystick and still be refunded? Is it any good for pc gaming?

Edit: Nop! No longer available to purchase.
Controller! It's a controller!

I'm just messing with you. I own it and the controller is decent. It's better than it looks, but not as good as alternatives.

In my opinion tierlist is as follows:
Xbox Series controller/PS5 Dual Sense -> Dualshock 4/Xbone -> Stadia controller.

Last edited:

marquimvfs

Controller! It's a controller!

I'm just messing with you. I own it and the controller is decent. It's better than it looks, but not as good as alternatives.

In my opinion tierlist is as follows:
Xbox Series controller/PS5 Dual Sense -> Dualshock 4/Xbone -> Stadia controller
Good to know. I was just looking to a new "free" controller, but it's no possible anymore.

njean777

After Onlive it's mad Google thought it could still work.

It is good as an option like MS and Sony do, but not full blown cloud. It's one of those things that is nice to have the option, but if I can download the game instead, I would always pick that option.

Top Bottom