• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google plans to bring Android games to Windows PCs starting in 2022

Agent X

Beginning next year, Google will offer a Google Play Games app for Windows, which will enable Android games from Google Play to run on Windows laptops, tablets, and PCs. As seen in this article from The Verge:

“Starting in 2022, players will be able to experience their favorite Google Play games on more devices: seamlessly switching between a phone, tablet, Chromebook, and soon, Windows PCs,” says Greg Hartrell, Google’s product director of games on Android and Google Play, in a statement to The Verge. “This Google built product brings the best of Google Play Games to more laptops and desktops, and we are thrilled to expand our platform for players to enjoy their favorite Android games even more.”

“This will be a native Windows app distributed by Google, which will support Windows 10 and up,” explains Hartrell. “It will not involve game streaming.” Google’s app won’t rely on any special integration with Windows 11, and the company will also distribute the app itself.

You can read more about this new initiative at the link below.

Agent X

So native m&kb and controller added, right???

Maybe. Google added support for several Sony and Microsoft controllers to the operating system in (I believe) the Android 10 update, and Android 12 also includes DualSense support.

My phone recognizes the DualShock 4 very nicely. I can use it to navigate the OS, and the touch pad can be used to manipulate a mouse pointer, similar to a PC trackpad. The controller is an excellent way to play games like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, compared to on-screen touch controls which are cumbersome for this particular game.

Pretty sure no android games these days are even worth bringing over are they? They all filled with Ad's and MT's so no thanks :D

A lot of mobile phone games are outright crap, and as you said, they're often stuffed with microtransactions and annoying nagging ads.

That said, there are a few gems in the pile. If this gives me another method of playing the gems on a bigger screen with a controller and (possibly) mouse and keyboard, then I'm in favor of it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Cool, now I can play all the mobile Dragon Quest games on PC which are actually pretty good.

SSfox

62919000.jpg

yurinka

There are several Android emulators for PC -like Bluestacks- that allow you to play any Google Play game or app in a PC, but it's nice to see it's becoming official.

No one cares. Bring the Google Play Store.
In these emulators I mentioned you can also use the Google Play store.

Last edited:

Drew1440

And then Microsoft releases Windows Phone 11 with support for both Android and Windows apps. Project Astoria never died.

Aenima

I have been using Nox player for years to play android games on PC, have controller support among alot other stuff and is not locked to play google play games only.

The sad thing is that right now my cellphone is more powerfull to play games than my laptop. But its still nice to play games that eat ur phone batery too fast on PC.

Will try the google emulator but doubt it will make me drop Nox

SSfox

So you'll be able to play the best mobile game ever (Leap Day) in PC.

I only play retro in PC since PS5 isn't full BC, like recently playing some old Tomb Raider and Resident Evil games (those morons of Jimbo and Hermen can't understand how it's important), i also sometimes condensate my Genshin Resins when Sister or brother are playing some games on my PS. I prefer playing on consoles than PC by miles personally speaking.

I have been using Nox player for years to play android games on PC, have controller support among alot other stuff and is not locked to play google play games only.

The sad thing is that right now my cellphone is more powerfull to play games than my laptop. But its still nice to play games that eat ur phone batery too fast on PC.

Will try the google emulator but doubt it will make me drop Nox
Oh so it's just emulation, so literally nothing changes. No news.

Last edited:
Top Bottom