• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Play Games for PC has launched in the US and 7 other countries. Play Android games on your PC TODAY (Req: Win 10 or 11, 10GB SSD, 8GB of RAM)

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Seems unneeded since Blue Stacks and it's like exist.
Imagine you are not a 'hardcore gamer', maybe not particularly tech savvy in many ways and you happen to use an Android phone and a Windows PC and sometimes pay games on the phone. Google offering the same games/store as your phone, on your computer, in a consumer friendly package may then appeal. I imagine this audience wouldn't know WTF blue stacks is yet alone have the time and inclination to explore it.

Smasher89

Finally a way to play pokemon Go at home with remote passes on greater hardware (/joke), guess its good for preservation reasons, and accesability, but i do see games still being optimized for phones!

So this will be dead in a year or two like their other failed projects

*cough* Stadia *cough*

This will be a great addition to the graveyard in a year or two.

14hvnw.jpg

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
Bluestacks is either Android 7 or 9.

Android hasn't changed that much, but 7 is not good to be using now, and even 9 is iffy.

Knightime_X

Honestly, this is kinda cool for those games I want to play but don't want to play on a phone.
But if the library is limited, then this is mostly a novelty at best.

I'd 100% use this to play that ff7 phone game.

Last edited:

ssringo

Cool. I play a couple mobile games and use bluestacks at home. Be nice to have official support instead of using an emulator. If it works well.

Edit: Oh, it's only 85 games right now. Nah...

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Seems cool. I own Final Fantasy Tactics on Play but I can't stand touch controls so this may be useful if it gets support for all games eventually.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
There are a loooooooot of people who play F2P mobile games through emulators on PC. Like, a lot lot. Don't underestimate how large this market is.
These are not whales, thus pointless. Why would I go to the computer when I can just take out my phone?

nkarafo

Ridiculous prices for graphics cards, shader compilation issues becoming the standard and now this.

Tough times for PC gamers.

Rykan

These are not whales, thus pointless. Why would I go to the computer when I can just take out my phone?
What the heck makes you think that?
Seems to totally miss the point that people play these games because they can do so on their smartphone, not a fucking computer.
Nope, this is a misconception. A lot of people genuinely like these games so much that they want to play it on a computer too.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Seems to totally miss the point that people play these games because they can do so on their smartphone, not a fucking computer.
Not to mention the vast majority of these games are only slightly more entertaining than sitting idle in the train/bus, which you can't avoid and need something to kill time with. Which is why people even bother with them.

Personally, i prefer browsing the internet, or listening to music.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So after Stadia failed this is Google's next strategy to become the kings of gaming. Making some bold moves!

Rykan

Yes, the smartphones market.
This isn't to appeal to a new market, it's about giving options to those who do play to play them on different devices. I'm not sure why you're so skeptical about this. Major games such as Genshin impact and Diablo already have dedicated pc clients.

Your views on mobile games are very outdated if you still think that these are just games being played on the bus.

Last edited:

ssringo

This isn't to appeal to a new market, it's about giving options to those who do play to play them on different devices...

...Your views on mobile games are very outdated if you still think that these are just games being played on the bus.
This. There wouldn't be so much effort on emulators if nobody wanted the option to play on their PC. Google is just (finally) joining the party.

There are tons of games that don't require full attention and it's nice to just open them on my second monitor to idly play while having something else on my primary monitor. Much better than dicking around on my phone/tablet and the screen is much larger.

nkarafo

There are tons of games that don't require full attention and it's nice to just open them on my second monitor to idly play while having something else on my primary monitor.

You guys are right, i don't get it. I'm way out of date in my views about gaming. I like playing games because i enjoy the immersion, gameplay, challenge, etc, which i though is the point of interactive video games. If a game isn't exciting to me i rather play something else or do something else altogether, i don't see a point of a game playing by itself in the background, for what? A bunch of 1s and 0s that form a digital reward i will forget about next week? Is it something you can sell for money or something maybe? Which would make sense, like having a mandatory task you don't enjoy for a reward you really need. Like a job. Now, if i could automate the boring parts, yeah, that would be a cool feature.

Well, anyway...

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

JCK75

Games are nice.. but I want Google Home so I can manage chromecasts from my desktop (work IT and we have like 80 in the building)

ssringo

You guys are right, i don't get it. I'm way out of date in my views about gaming. I like playing games because i enjoy the immersion, gameplay, challenge, etc, which i though is the point of interactive video games. If a game isn't exciting to me i rather play something else or do something else altogether, i don't see a point of a game playing by itself in the background, for what? A bunch of 1s and 0s that form a digital reward i will forget about next week? Is it something you can sell for money or something maybe? Which would make sense, like having a mandatory task you don't enjoy for a reward you really need. Like a job. Now, if i could automate the boring parts, yeah, that would be a cool feature.

I mean, it's not like I'm playing a game that does everything itself and there's nothing for me do ever. I play and advance my character(s) and am immersed in the gameplay, characters and/or story. There's plenty of time where I have to pay attention to what I'm doing. But there's also grinding out dailies or easier content to get through and turning on stuff like auto battling so I don't have to pay attention to the monotonous stuff is quite useful. Then when it's time for story or harder content I can pay more attention.

I did similar stuff in big name MMOs.

Yah, don't understand why people are using phones with their Android OS

Because you can buy them as low as $99 bucks and they will be at least 30% functional. After Windows dropped out they own the sub-500 market. This means impoverished or developing countries will have a population where if a smartphone is required, that is there only option outside second hand two models late iphones. All the local brands use android too.

Top Bottom