• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Stadia roadmap... of death?

Rat Rage

Imagine not being able to sell a streaming device to the masses when everyone is stuck inside for a month.

That's how dead stadia is

imagine being a billion dollar company with employees having the highest education on the planet making hundreds of thousands of dollars a year and STILL having no clue as to how the video game market works, a.k.a "one does not just enter the video game market without having highly attractive exclusive software". The videogame market of the last 30+ years has shown that dozens of dozens of times with all the failed consoles and handhelds. You can't get more naive than Google.

On the other hand, if you have this much money, maybe thinking isn't even neccessary anymore. You just go for any idea that "sounds good".

ZywyPL

Banned
imagine being a billion dollar company with employees having the highest education on the planet making hundreds of thousands of dollars a year and STILL having no clue as to how the video game market works, a.k.a "one does not just enter the video game market without having highly attractive exclusive software". The videogame market of the last 30+ years has shown that dozens of dozens of times with all the failed consoles and handhelds. You can't get more naive than Google.

On the other hand, if you have this much money, maybe thinking isn't even neccessary anymore. You just go for any idea that "sounds good".

The business model is just wrong all over again (not to mention hardware/software issues), untill someone will have the balls to kill off OnLive original vision, the gaming streaming services will never take off. MS GP is how you do it, one monthly fee and that's all, you decide what and how long you play.

Rikkori

Because all that stuff doesn't matter, like all big corporations it's all about internal politicking & it's hamstrung by its own bureaucracy. They're already entrenched with a monopoly at what they do & collecting rent forever. All these other ventures are smokescreens & so many of the smart people are hired less so that they achieve something but so that they don't work somewhere else and possibly be a threat.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God

DbBDGLa.png

Maybe I joke too much?! Maybe I'm just telling the truth

Last edited:
that people used to think that Stadia could change gaming landscape..
Not people. Companies. Companies love Streaming of any kind, because it reverts control of ownership back to the IP holder. It is financially beneficial to offer less for more.
But the companies couldn't figure out a way to sell a worse product at a higher price, at least not this time with Stadia.

Kumomeme

Not people. Companies. Companies love Streaming of any kind, because it reverts control of ownership back to the IP holder. It is financially beneficial to offer less for more.
But the companies couldn't figure out a way to sell a worse product at a higher price, at least not this time with Stadia.
the used to be lot of believer even at here, believing that stadia would be part center of gaming landscape next gen. Even on other site, lot of insider there place their faith.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
the used to be lot of believer even at here, believing that stadia would be part center of gaming landscape next gen. Even on other site, lot of insider there place their faith.
If they made a real "Netflix for gaming", I think that they'll do great. But they didn't, and there's Microsoft, Sony and Steam doing their thing that is more close to the ideal plan. Google is just loosing by design

Schmick

I've been using PSN on PC and I've been impressed with it. I dont see why streaming cannot coexist with tradition formats.

So too with all game streaming....

All game streaming needs to fail and fail hard. Gaming needs local hardware.
Have you tried the xcloud beta? Being able to play games that aren't too latency sensitive while on a bus is great. Stuff like state of decay, destiny 2, the Sims and such.

FrankCaron

Finally got around to giving it a shot after spending a ton of time playing GeForce Now on beta, being an early PlayStation Now adopter, and trying out xCloud.

There’s no question that Google has the best network engineers, as its service definitely performs the best in my anecdotal experience. The seamlessnes of jumping between Chrome and the TV is quite nice, too.

Now that they’ve rejigged the monetization model and started to focus on cross play and GaaS, I can see this humming along as a passable third-party option until Google bows out of the arms’ race.

Shame though because the technical execution is clearly the strongest, albeit limited on iOS because Apple.

For streaming to work, you need a dedicated gaming device, there's no getting around it.

Imagine a switch like device running halo infinite? Cough lockhart cough. That's where streaming will succeed.

Not, here, play this laggy game on a phone and if you need a controller make sure you lug one around with you. Oh and it's not a mega drive or snes pad that you can fit in your pocket, it's a big fucking humpty dumpty bulky motherfucker

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
So too with all game streaming....

All game streaming needs to fail and fail hard. Gaming needs local hardware.
Streaming gaming is great as an option

In a not so distant future people will have better internet and stuff, so you could plug a dongle on a friend's tv, hotel or something, and you can play very easily. Also, resuming the game on a tv and playing again on a smartphone is the dream

Bryank75

Banned
Streaming gaming is great as an option

In a not so distant future people will have better internet and stuff, so you could plug a dongle on a friend's tv, hotel or something, and you can play very easily. Also, resuming the game on a tv and playing again on a smartphone is the dream
Not interested. I have a Switch if I want to go mobile... answer to a problem that doesn't exist.

Last edited:
That was BEFORE Stadia announce the pricing structure. Just like with Xbox, the expectation is that Google would throw money away to keep things attractive. To do a lossleader.
But we soon found out that Google isn't willing to invest any serious money. That Stadia is just a minor project and was not given enough resources to sustain itself. Having a streaming service is one thing, but if you can't provide the content then go home.

DRM free that I can own with no clients, etc necessary and can backup in full on physical media and permanently keep and play whenever I want for $30

Vs.

Game I can't own that is stuck on servers that if ever go down temporarily I can't play and if down permanently I'll never be able to play again for $40

Wow. Tough choice.

wolywood

The problem I have with cloud gaming in it's current state s that it's not ambitious enough. Aside from Grid's 40 car multiplayer races on Stadia I can't really think of a single game that does anything with the raw computing power of the cloud that consoles can't. Where's my Ready Player One type experiences?

Wonder if Luna will do any better seeing as Amazon has been burning millions of dollars on games no one cares about and then cancelling them. Watching these tech giants try to buy their place in gaming only to keep stubbing their toes and burning their fingers is hilarious. Here is an idea, how about you listen to what the people who play games want and stop eating the paint chips.

DRM free that I can own with no clients, etc necessary and can backup in full on physical media and permanently keep and play whenever I want for $30

Vs.

Game I can't own that is stuck on servers that if ever go down temporarily I can't play and if down permanently I'll never be able to play again for $40

Wow. Tough choice.
To be fair, if one plays on stadia, they have more money than brain cells. Imagine paying premium prices for fast internet and game licenses but oh, a gaming rig or a console is one bridge too far. Walking punchlines.

Bogey

Banned
Anyone tried that Immortals: Fenyx Rising demo in stadia?

I have to say, i was fairly impressed with the snappiness of stadia there. I'm not a pretty mediocre internet connection & wifi, yet it felt absolutely responsive.

Image quality, on the other hand, was a bit of a disaster for me. Game looked like it was rendered at 480p and then upscaled and blurred. It's a little hard to say if that is down to the game itself, to stadia, or my particular connection though, I wonder what everyone else's experience is?

LarknThe4th

They thought they where so clever, thinking you dont need a slate of exciting exclusives is Hubris

Google assume you dont have to spend to make, unless you transition in a time when the upfront costs weren't so astronomically high(relative to these days) and you understand the market and what you need to do like Nintendo or Sega, then you have to get hat Chequebook out!

Same thing is going to happen to Amazon

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
The problem I have with cloud gaming in it's current state s that it's not ambitious enough. Aside from Grid's 40 car multiplayer races on Stadia I can't really think of a single game that does anything with the raw computing power of the cloud that consoles can't. Where's my Ready Player One type experiences?

Exactly this. I thought we were going to get games that could only run on server farms, like giant space sims or mmorpgs with actual real estate. But it's just existing games, streamed. Like we already had with Geforce Now on a Shield.

Banned

especially when it comes to stadia there is no crazy horsepower there either.

Immortals Fenyx Rising runs at 30fps and it doesn't look super crazy detailed or cutting edge in any way either.

where are those 11TF GPUs Stadia servers supposedly have?
most games run below Xbox One X Settings and/or performance, some run as low as PS4 Pro settings and/or performance.

11TF cloud servers my ass, what are they using? GCN1???
or are they using some REAAAAALLLY shitty CPUs? but then how does Destiny run at 1080p 60fps when Bungie apparently thinks that dthe One X's CPU is too weak to run it at 60fps?

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
especially when it comes to stadia there is no crazy horsepower there either.

Immortals Fenyx Rising runs at 30fps and it doesn't look super crazy detailed or cutting edge in any way either.

where are those 11TF GPUs Stadia servers supposedly have?
most games run below Xbox One X Settings and/or performance, some run as low as PS4 Pro settings and/or performance.

or are they using some REAAAAALLLY shitty CPUs? but then how does Destiny run at 1080p 60fps when Bungie apparently thinks that dthe One X's CPU is too weak to run it at 60fps?
Optimization is the reason. I mean, Batman Arkham Knight run really bad on PCs, even thou PS4 was a weaker hardware, and not long after release everyone saw that only 10 people worked on the port to PC

@thread
Updated the first post

Last edited:

Pachi72

Anyone tried that Immortals: Fenyx Rising demo in stadia?

I have to say, i was fairly impressed with the snappiness of stadia there. I'm not a pretty mediocre internet connection & wifi, yet it felt absolutely responsive.

Image quality, on the other hand, was a bit of a disaster for me. Game looked like it was rendered at 480p and then upscaled and blurred. It's a little hard to say if that is down to the game itself, to stadia, or my particular connection though, I wonder what everyone else's experience is?
That is why Streaming will not take off. Image quality is top priority for consoles.

They use Vega 1 gpus - aka some of the biggest trash AMD ever produced. And since those gpus were insanely power hungry (destop version used 300W for gtx 1080 performance) they are probably running them a low clockspeeds to reduce electricity costs.

hroerekr

That is why Streaming will not take off. Image quality is top priority for consoles.

For many people there is no difference. And the image quality tends to get better as the overall internet improves and allows better bitrate, not the opposite.
The tech is good and I can totally see it in the future.

The problem is Google's business model and the lack of experience in this market.

For many people there is no difference. And the image quality tends to get better as the overall internet improves and allows better bitrate, not the opposite.

The problem is Google's business model and the lack of experience in this market.

"The problem is Google."

Fixed. 😁

Pachi72

Also the issue is streaming. This will be a problem with E-Sport. Streaming will not be the future.

Fredrik

Yeah I have not once had a problem with the image quality on Stadia. But it doesn’t matter, for me Google essentially pulled the plug on the service when they closed their own Studios. I cancelled my day 1 sub the same day.

Now I’m using Geforce Now instead through a Shield with controller and is currently enjoying Control maxed out with raytracing in the living room without noisy fans and low console settings. It’s great. 👍

Last edited:
Top Bottom