• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google starts issuing the first wave of refunds for those who invested in their failed Stadia platform.

However, the company hasn't committed to unlocking the Stadia Controller's Bluetooth functions.

If you've ever bought a game on Stadia, Google's soon-to-be-defunct cloud gaming service, it's worth keeping an eye on your bank balance and credit card statements. As of today, Google is starting to process refunds for Stadia purchases. The first wave of refunds will include those for purchases of games, add-on content and subscriptions made through the Stadia store. However, the company is not refunding Stadia Pro subscription fees.

Google says it will process the refunds automatically. It expects to issue most of them (including those for hardware purchases) by the time it shuts down the Stadia servers on January 18th. "We ask for your patience as we work through each transaction and ask that you refrain from contacting Customer Support as they will not be able to expedite your refund during this time," the company wrote in an updated support article.

If Google can't issue a refund automatically to your original form of payment, it will email you via the Google account through which you made your purchase(s). Folks who have deleted their Google account and no longer have access to the original form of payment may have to get in touch with Stadia's customer support team.

Everyone who brought or were charged for Stadia related items will be refunded, this is just the first wave of refunds and more will be on the way so if you aren't in this group Google will gradually get to you.

I did notice that the article says the people who were were naïve enough to subscribe to Stadia Pro WONT be getting refunds on it? Dick move Google, but I guess they don't care about burning any bridges with the base they are abandoning anyway. All 3 of them.

Luna next.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Netflix for games*

*except where you still pay full price for your movies

GENIUS!

Watch Phil fall ass backwards into another $500,000k a year executive leadership role. What I would give to be that competently incompetent (or is it incompetently competent?).

Last edited:

Rambone

200.gif

svbarnard

Banned
Cloud gaming will never be a thing
Well it probably will but it will take at least another decade. One thing we all need is we need to get fiber to every home. They need to replace the copper lines with the fiber ones. Cloud gaming could happen but the infrastructure isn't there yet.

Well it probably will but it will take at least another decade. One thing we all need is we need to get fiber to every home. They need to replace the copper lines with the fiber ones. Cloud gaming could happen but the infrastructure isn't there yet.

If cloud gaming built into TVs without needing hardware isn't increasing interest with general consumers than there's going to need to be a radical shift for cloud gaming to take off.

Like consoles launching at $900 or more radical.

The only streaming service I would want to try out is a cloud computer like that Shadow service. But ultimately when you run the numbers it doesn't actually save you money.

Agent X

If cloud gaming built into TVs without needing hardware isn't increasing interest with general consumers than there's going to need to be a radical shift for cloud gaming to take off.

One thing that some proponents of cloud gaming services forget is that having an app icon on the UI does not mean that the user has "everything he needs". The user also needs to invest in a controller, and then of course he has to purchase games and/or a subscription.

Heck, that's if he even bothers to click that icon. Most of these smart TV devices have hundreds of app icons preloaded. I've seen countless icons on my Fire TV Stick that I'll probably never use. I don't have the time and/or interest to try all of those services.

The concept of "eliminating the console" is only removing one obstacle. There are many other obstacles that still exist. This isn't some golden ticket to gaming riches.

Puscifer

Gold Member

Everyone who brought or were charged for Stadia related items will be refunded, this is just the first wave of refunds and more will be on the way so if you aren't in this group Google will gradually get to you.

I did notice that the article says the people who were were naïve enough to subscribe to Stadia Pro WONT be getting refunds on it? Dick move Google, but I guess they don't care about burning any bridges with the base they are abandoning anyway. All 3 of them.

Luna next.
Well is it really a dick move? They're refunding your license to play the game, if you were renting with Stadia pro there's honestly not much to give back to you. It's no different than complaining that you can't access the things on gamepass anymore if they shut it down. This is actually a good move on their part, they could've honestly said fuck it and not given people back a damn thing the fact you're even getting back your hardware investment is wild!

One thing that some proponents of cloud gaming services forget is that having an app icon on the UI does not mean that the user has "everything he needs". The user also needs to invest in a controller, and then of course he has to purchase games and/or a subscription.

Heck, that's if he even bothers to click that icon. Most of these smart TV devices have hundreds of app icons preloaded. I've seen countless icons on my Fire TV Stick that I'll probably never use. I don't have the time and/or interest to try all of those services.

The concept of "eliminating the console" is only removing one obstacle. There are many other obstacles that still exist. This isn't some golden ticket to gaming riches.

That and for some people, ISP charges.

So many services have come and failed or remained niche because they aren't really solving anything. At best if you have someone who doesn't want to deal with hardware it removes that as you said, but it resolves nothing else. With a console, you don't have the same set of issues or at the very least you have more control over them.

We have seen Samsung and LG among other TV manufacturers racing to have as much gaming and video apps/services on their TVs as possible and it's barely nudged their sales numbers or helped their bottom lines/

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Gamepass success does make you wonder where they would be had they gone subscription only for $9.99 and actually properly supported the hardware and aggressively priced and marketed a stadia device. They probably really missed an opportunity.

Top Bottom