• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Got a Pro Controller Zelda TotK Edition with unplayable stick drift.

Banned
Look, unless you're willing to bring some scientific evidence to the table that shows the potentiometer mechanisms in the Xbox controllers are somehow superior to those used in other controllers then this is a worthless discussion as is your claim that the Xbox controllers are superior to others in this regard.

We've all been gaming long enough to have anecdotal stories about controllers from all of these manufacturers suffering from stick drift.

every controller has the potential for stick drift.
but from my experience, Sony controllers basically are like clockwork when it comes to drift, while my Xbox controllers never had drift. 🤷

if an Xbox controller died on me in the past it was usually down to other issues. like one of my 360 controllers had a broken LB button.
one of my Xbox One controller's sticks was way too worn down after years of use (I don't like using stick caps), and stuff like that.

but I personally never had a single drifting stick due to the potentiometer material starting to flake.
I had a drifting Xbox One controller that had drift due to a worn down spring, which happened because I stored it badly (basically the stick was being pused to the side for a full year because I had it upside down in a drawer and forgot about it)

meanwhile I'm basically collecting drifting PlayStation and Nintendo controllers at this point.

maybe I'm just super unlucky with anything that isn't an Xbox controller, that could be the case, but my pile of evidence (drifting controllers) is growing each year 😭

Last edited:

MirageMew2

All three of my launch day DualSense are fucking fried, die in less than an hour and my newer black one drifted after a month. Fortunately I’ve never had a broken Joycon but my Pro Controllers (Xenoblade & Smash LEs) both drift to shit. My TotK Pro comes in tomorrow so hopefully it’s a better situation but I totally see it being fucked also.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
But of course. I wouldn't expect anything less. This must be imaginary then:

The only problem you have is the fact that all of these controllers use identical mechanisms for the sticks (potentiometers) and the reality is that there's no way around stick drift unless a different type of mechanism is used.

Maybe treat your playstation and nintendo controllers like you do your Xbox ones and you'll see a similar rate of failure.
lol I can't help but laugh that you're citing that lawsuit as evidence of an Xbox controller problem. That same law firm blasted lawsuits at all three in an attempt to get money out of them over faulty potentiometers. If you're saying that simply being hit with a class action lawsuit is proof of a problem then you must also believe that Sony owes people who bought games from their digital store $5.9 billion due to this lawsuit.

GHG

lol I can't help but laugh that you're citing that lawsuit as evidence of an Xbox controller problem. That same law firm blasted lawsuits at all three in an attempt to get money out of them over faulty potentiometers. If you're saying that simply being hit with a class action lawsuit is proof of a problem then you must also believe that Sony owes people who bought games from their digital store $5.9 billion due to this lawsuit.

That's exactly my point. So well done and thank you.

Lone Wolf

you are right, but companies are not going to do that sadly, at least for now.
I believe the majority of the user still prefer the official 1st party controller.

Im still waiting for the guillikit analog module for Edge.
Is that confirmed ?

I literally just sent in my Elite 2 Xbox controller or w/e this morning for the RB button breaking issue for the 3rd time. They usually just ship a new one back now so I should have it soon

And I ordered a black Dual Sense from Sony and the R2 button was broken on arrival.

Plus i've gotten joycons replaced for the usual drift bull as well...I still have my original set of Dual Shock controllers from launch all those years ago plus the OG Xbox Big Duke controller...Got em cased up now for collecting, but if I plug them in they work fine to this day.

I say all that to say it just feels like shit is made 100x cheaper from all of them. Sorry youre going through this, stay on their necks until they get your exchange and/or repair done because they're all fickle in trying their best to avoid it until you give em a little grief

Knightime_X

Simply having a deadzone slider remedies 99.99% of all stick drifting issues.
It's beyond me outside of being scummy why this isn't a standard necessary feature.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Is that confirmed ?
i thought guilli mentioned they are interested to do so?

But tbh i dont see why they dont do that, the analog stick is a module which is easily remove and replace, seems pretty easy to implement or change something on it?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I was looking to get a new controller soon since my Xbox One model lacks Bluetooth.

Looks like I’ll be avoiding controllers from the big three.

Last edited:

Crayon

Nintendo games are about FUN. Not high end graphics graphics, not reasonable pricing, and not controllers that work correctly out of the box.

FUN. Say it. 10/10.

Lone Wolf

i thought guilli mentioned they are interested to do so?

But tbh i dont see why they dont do that, the analog stick is a module which is easily remove and replace, seems pretty easy to implement or change something on it?
I hope they do. I would buy it.

Fbh

I'm touching wood right now but I'm glad I've never had any major issues with controllers.
My launch Dualshock 4 had the peeling issue, my Dualshock 3's got a bit crazy after several years (though there was an easy DIY fix) and my joycons are only now (6 years later) starting to drift in a minor way.
But other than that I've hardly ever had any issues with controllers.

Laieon

My left TOTK-edition joycon has a very loud spring-y sound, but only when I push up on it.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

I had a pro controller that developed drift after years of use that I was ready to trash but I did use this video and I fixed it recently! Didn't even have to use the compressed and contact cleaner!

Top Bottom