• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotham Knights Nightwing and Redhood gameplay demo Revealed

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Game menu looks like a Marvel game that I am playing on mobile phone

6Apxkbc.png
5surrcm.png

Last edited:
This represents what I don't understand in a lot of comments about this game around here. From what you say I understand just the pitch alone is something you're against?
It seems like no matter what the game would be like, people decided to hate on this game from the beginning just because it's not about Batman, and I'm super confused about this.

I disagree with a lot of comments here because I thought the video looked decent (still need to see more in depth combats to see what it offers or not), but still, not liking the game for whatever reason is one thing, but it really seems like people just totally hate the concept of having a game not about Batman. I don't understand why it's that much of a problem, we already had plenty of Batman Arkham games, and while I loved them, I'm excited to see something else with other characters. It just seems very strange that people are so against the idea of a game about other DC heroes.

Unless your comment is only about having an arkham style game with coop, then it's another story.
(I'm saying all this because you say that you don't understand why this concept was even pitched, so I assume you don't like the basic idea of the game, and not just disappointed with this new video).
The thing is, It does not look decent. The "stupid" traversal mechanics, the really janky looking combat (slide 3 miles between 2 foes with a button press - the arkham games had this problem in a toned down way themselves - ), the not nearly current gen looking graphics. First impressions are important for a game, and this is a bad one (the first trailer is so "old", it doesn't even count anymore). That there is no Batman, which puts this in the Arkham-Verse (Spoiler?!), wouldn't even be a problem. But the new "cartoony" look, the baaaaad gameplay (come on, those fights look like they are a quarter or third too slow) and the overall cheap feel of it all kill this thing in its tracks.

SJRB

Gold Member
Game menu looks like a Marvel game that I am playing on mobile phone

6Apxkbc.png
5surrcm.png

Man that menu is ghastly. The ugly buttons with the large font at the top, the ridiculously large stat font, the cheap letter and coloring, the spacing, everything looks low-budget.

Ristifer

The thing is, It does not look decent. The "stupid" traversal mechanics, the really janky looking combat (slide 3 miles between 2 foes with a button press - the arkham games had this problem in a toned down way themselves - ), the not nearly current gen looking graphics. First impressions are important for a game, and this is a bad one (the first trailer is so "old", it doesn't even count anymore). That there is no Batman, which puts this in the Arkham-Verse (Spoiler?!), wouldn't even be a problem. But the new "cartoony" look, the baaaaad gameplay (come on, those fights look like they are a quarter or third too slow) and the overall cheap feel of it all kill this thing in its tracks.
I thought this game was outside the Arkham-verse? Or am I misremembering what they were saying when it was first unveiled?

I thought this game was outside the Arkham-verse? Or am I misremembering what they were saying when it was first unveiled?
To be true, I don't know, it just made sense with "Knight's" ending and all. Still, the style clash between the last big Bat-Game and this one is not feeling that good.

Ristifer

To be true, I don't know, it just made sense with "Knight's" ending and all. Still, the style clash between the last big Bat-Game and this one is not feeling that good.
I thought the same way when they first talked about a game without Batman. It seemed logical that it would just follow Arkham Knight's ending. But I guess they didn't bother with that.

BbMajor7th

Looks like a lifeless cut together of half-a-dozen different superhero games from the last ten years with some dated-ass lighting. I mean, I don't expect RT GI, but the having character models glow that much a game this decidedly dark just looks rubbish.

Also, rarity level armour and weapons is fast becoming the best way for a game developer to put me to sleep.

Last edited:
Wow WB Montreal made a shitty game what a shock. Redhood and Nightwing in the cut scene looks like they have a posturing issue with their shoulders, looks weird.

Another thing, writers in the industry right now suck ass. The dialog is fucking terrible.

Last edited:

Salz01

Not really sure what the first delay really did. Seems to have made things worse. Happy they announced current gen only, but mystified that they showed a game that looks like it’s on PS360. After thinking about it for a day, they should delay, and just give us a 4k60fps patch of Arkham knight In October. On another note, it shows on the stores as being 70 bucks for standard edition.… holy shit.

Gambit2483

Wow WB Montreal made a shitty game what a shock. Redhood and Nightwing in the cut scene looks like they have a posturing issue with their shoulders, looks weird.

Another thing, writers in the industry right now suck ass. The dialog is fucking terrible.
I noticed this too. I'm thinking they skimp'd on the mo-cap during Covid and relied on their (less talented) animators...and yeah the dialog is a little weak.

Hopefully this is just a bad take and the game as a finished product turns out much better.

Finally saw this on Tv instead of my little phone. I thought you guys were just being nit picking brats about it, but yeah. Graphics don't look good at all. This looks like it's coming to Gamepass day 1. lol

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
From what I gather in this thread, the game looks worse than the reveal despite looking exactly the same, that the graphics themselves are "barely" better than an average PS4 game (when viewing the graphics in 1080P of course, instead of just checking out the 4K footage on the official YouTube), and that folks prefer the floaty, slide across the battlefield combo-combat of the Arkham games than the beat-em-up of the current offering.

Must be Tuesday.

From what I gather in this thread, the game looks worse than the reveal despite looking exactly the same, that the graphics themselves are "barely" better than an average PS4 game (when viewing the graphics in 1080P of course, instead of just checking out the 4K footage on the official YouTube), and that folks prefer the floaty, slide across the battlefield combo-combat of the Arkham games than the beat-em-up of the current offering.

Must be Tuesday.
Yeah, because this is absolutely non-floaty slide-less no-distance-making combat of the modern age...

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Yeah, because this is absolutely non-floaty slide-less no-distance-making combat of the modern age...

The "combo-combat" here looks as boring as it ever was; here at least you don't have to play as Batman-Lite. The overall tenor of my post remains: that some folks are being ridiculous with their grousing.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Nope. And I don't remember the gameplay sections in the Arkham series where Batman was throwing bullets around or teleporting, but sure.

RPS37

struggling to grasp why this had to be next gen only…and I was so temporarily excited when I first heard the news

Droxcy

I thought the whole time this game was a new version of Gotham City Impostors wow not what I was expecting this looks bad. Would much rather play another City Impostors honestly.
gotham_city_impostors.jpg

The graphics aren't bad like many people are stating, but definitely not impressive either for being a current-gen only experience. The combat however does seem much more floaty and disjointed than the Arkham games of past and this is worrisome.

So WB are doing a Watch_Dogs with this pixelated horse manure?
My mobile can render better that what's offered in the latest trailer......

WB didn't shoot themselves in the foot, they blew off both their legs.... PASS

Jayjayhd34

Q:Is an internet connection required to play Gotham Knights?
A: An internet connection is not required to play Gotham Knights solo, although you’ll need to be online for two-player, online co-op with a friend.

Q:Will Gotham Knights have microtransactions?
A: No. Gotham Knights will not have in-game purchases or microtransactions.

Not gaas as some assumed in here.

A: An internet connection is not required to play Gotham Knights solo, although you’ll need to be online for two-player, online co-op with a friend.

Somehow I always assumed this was a F2P GAAS game. The menus certainly look like that. So is this a fully priced game?

Azurro

Banned
Why does Gotham Knights looks substantially worse than Batman Arkham Knight? Did WB Montreal have a lot of diversity hires in the last few years? Or were they a subpar team to begin with?

Last edited:

Jayjayhd34

Why does Gotham Knights looks substantially worse than Batman Arkham Knight? Did WB Montreal have a lot of diversity hires in the last few years? Or were they a subpar team to begin with?

It doesn't look worse when I play the video at 4k on lg cx.

Mister Wolf

Thats excellent new.

The Skull

You need your eyes testing doesn't look any worse than arkham knight and still has 6 months left in development.
It does look worse than knight, but surely as a current gen exclusive it should look a lot better? The frame rate is all over the place, the combat looks decidedly worse. For a game that's 6 months out, this does not look remotely closed to finished unfortunately.

I wanted this to be good but it looks like it's in a pretty bad state and I can see another delay coming.

Jayjayhd34

It does look worse than knight, but surely as a current gen exclusive it should look a lot better? The frame rate is all over the place, the combat looks decidedly worse. For a game that's 6 months out, this does not look remotely closed to finished unfortunately.

I wanted this to be good but it looks like it's in a pretty bad state and I can see another delay coming.

I can't see them delaying it again.All the batman games have had issues with frame rate on pc (not sure about consoles) at first witch had always been ironed out patches later on.

Combat will depend on who your playing as bat girl being more like the traditional arkham fighting style most likely. I'm not to keen on playing red hood and am glad you get pick who play as.

The whole part on the bike just feels... broken? Or in no way near to 'finished'. It also looks like they are driving 20 mph or something.. (or maybe the bike from Nolan's Dark Knight was a reference here)

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Was actually looking forward to this game.
Which character plays more like Batman from the Arkham games?
P.S Red Hood should keep his hood on.....jesus.

P.P.S The Gotham Knights console looks cool as heck.
FSf7PirWUAMgJO8

Kusarigama

The demo looked fine. Graphics wise- it looks very good but it isn't the true next gen looking game, could easily be done on PS4 (only reason they are skipping is because current gen skus are overwhelming selling more than previous gen).

Liked that Nightwing and RedHood both had unique animations, fightstyles and traversals.
The non suited up Nightwing part had very awkward wall animation though.

Hope they add super secret 5th character Batman(would be a lost opportunity, if not).

Excited for it!

Azurro

Banned
You need your eyes testing doesn't look any worse than arkham knight and still has 6 months left in development.

6 months left in development? Or 6 months left before release? If so, then the game is done, basically they are doing debugging and maybe minor improvements that don't change the codebase too much.

Last edited:

Jayjayhd34

6 months left in development? Or 6 months left before release? If so, then the game is done, basically they are doing debugging and maybe minor improvements that don't change the codebase too much.

If that wad true crunch time wouldn't exist.

Azurro

Banned
If that wad true crunch time wouldn't exist.

That also includes performance testing, Q&A and so on. You think sorting out bugs is easy and fast? Crunch time is a thing because the code base is huge, there are tons of bugs due to the edge cases in game logic plus whatever performance optimisations need to happen (beyond just changing the value in a properties file). You might not have any work experience, I tend to see that people vastly overestimate the amount of work that goes into software products, especially in entertainment.

Jayjayhd34

That also includes performance testing, Q&A and so on. You think sorting out bugs is easy and fast? Crunch time is a thing because the code base is huge, there are tons of bugs due to the edge cases in game logic plus whatever performance optimisations need to happen (beyond just changing the value in a properties file). You might not have any work experience, I tend to see that people vastly overestimate the amount of work that goes into software products, especially in entertainment.
What bugs ? you making sound like there's no hope for improvement lot can be done 6 months chill. Not if it be first arkham game to have frame rate issues a launch either and they still reviewed high.

Top Bottom