• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotham Knights Nightwing and Redhood gameplay demo Revealed

Azurro

Banned
What bugs ? you making sound like there's no hope for improvement lot can be done 6 months chill. Not if it be first arkham game to have frame rate issues a launch either and they still reviewed high.

I work in software development, that's what they mean by "polishing a game", it's to remove critical bugs in game logic/visuals, investigate areas with problematic performance and figure out why that happens and smooth it out, make sure assets are done and in addition to that, there needs to be a version of complete game files to be sent to production of the actual physical game and so on and so forth.

You honestly sound like a child.

Last edited:

Jayjayhd34

I work in software development, that's what they mean by "polishing a game", it's to remove critical bugs in game logic/visuals, investigate areas with problematic performance and figure out why that happens and smooth it out, make sure assets are done and in addition to that, there needs to be a version of complete game files to be sent to production of the actual physical game and so on and so forth.

You honestly sound like a child.
Sure you do lol you work in software development but are aurging with someone who you suspect is a child (I'm nearly 30) in middle of the day yeah OK then

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
Sure you do lol

Java developer, 5 years, plus 5 years of ABAP. ;)

I think I'm going to bow out of talking with you, you are unreasonable.

Back to the game:

Aside from the infinity sliding in combat, I can't understand why the game looks so bad. The game looks soft even in the 4K videos, textures in buildings in the background look very low resolution. Even the geometry in the cars looks very low detail, this project is a mess.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I got bored by just looking at all this footage. Creative impotence is the first thing that comes to mind. I've seen and played all this open world BS 109568106098098 times before. I could not care less about Robin, Nightwing and Red Hood and the last thing I want is to play as them. I could not care less about co-op in a game like this. Arkham games were always about solo gameplay for me and always will be. UI is absolutely trerrible, RPG and leveling systems can go fuck themselves, aswell as crafring BS with shit ton of materials.

Like, WTF? For whom this game is for exactly? Sure as hell not for Arkham series fans. This game is going to bomb hard and it's written all over this gameplay footage, which is a shame cuz I liked Arkham Origins a lot. Damn.

Last edited:

EekTheKat

The
looter aspect
is a huge red flag here. Assuming that's what I saw.

That pretty much goes against what Arkham games were so good at.

It's also usually an indicator that the game is built for a grind and gearing up. The characters being so slow may be a side effect of not gearing up properly.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Hey look it’s red mist from kick ass 2….

iu

jaysius

Banned
The
looter aspect
is a huge red flag here. Assuming that's what I saw.

That pretty much goes against what Arkham games were so good at.

It's also usually an indicator that the game is built for a grind and gearing up. The characters being so slow may be a side effect of not gearing up properly.
It's a GaaS but the developer knows how cancerous that word is so they've been lying saying it's not a GaaS, but if it quacks like a duck...

Jayjayhd34

It's a GaaS but the developer knows how cancerous that word is so they've been lying saying it's not a GaaS, but if it quacks like a duck...
So your claiming they outright lied on the faqs with this comment ?

Will Gotham Knights have microtransactions?

A: No. Gotham Knights will not have in-game purchases or microtransactions.

jaysius

Banned
So your claiming they outright lied on the faqs with this comment ?

Will Gotham Knights have microtransactions?

A: No. Gotham Knights will not have in-game purchases or microtransactions.
NOPE.

They've been saying they're not a GaaS, that's not about Microtransactions, it's about type of game it is.

It has multiple currencies, bad loot, it has spongey enemies with numbers popping out of them(they've cleverly turned this off in the UI recent videos) it has awful animations often in GaaS games.

You're twisting everything. GaaS does not equal MICROTRANSACTIONS just bad games.

Last edited:

Jayjayhd34

NOPE.

They've been saying they're not a GaaS, that's not about Microtransactions, it's about type of game it is.

It has multiple currencies, bad loot, it has spongey enemies with numbers popping out of them(they've cleverly turned this off in the UI recent videos) it has awful animations often in GaaS games.

You're twisting everything. GaaS does not equal MICROTRANSACTIONS just bad games.

Games as a Service refers to games that operate without initial purchasing costs and instead, make their profits on subscriptions or in-game purchases. Games as a Service allows video games to be monetized even after they are released and it has been proven to keep players more engaged longer.

No I think you lack understanding of what gaas is. If don't like the concept of the game then that's fine but don't call it something it's not and confuse people.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The animation looks off. The combat looks like if someone took the Spider-Man engine and tools, and then slowed everything way down and made it all stiff.

I really like these characters, but I'll be waiting for this one to hit Game Pass or some wild Steam discount.

MiguelItUp

Yeah, this game is honestly really missing me. Which is a shame because I loved these games, but man, this one just doesn't look great at all.

Bragr

Banned
I get strange vibes from this, it looks like it wants to be the Arkham games, but they haven't found any new gameplay ideas so they are just adding gadgets and characters, which is uninteresting.

We have played so much Arkham at this point, that we need new systems, new takes on what they have done before. These devs did Arkham Origins and worked on Arkham Knight, but now it's time to step away from the Rocksteady shadow and do something of their own. This doesn't seem to be that.

DavidGzz

The animation looks off. The combat looks like if someone took the Spider-Man engine and tools, and then slowed everything way down and made it all stiff.

I really like these characters, but I'll be waiting for this one to hit Game Pass or some wild Steam discount.

That's the penalty for making several characters. When you only have to animate for one hero, you can devote way more time into each animation. It's the reason Sekiro's swings, his enemies hit reactions, and critical animations, etc, are way better than Dark Souls 3 and Elden Ring. It's a good example since it's the same dev.

I'll be more impressed with Insomniac's animations when they make a superhero game where you have 10 heros to choose from. Spiderman and their upcoming Wolverine will animate very well because they can again, devote more time to a single character and how he would affect his enemies.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
The initial reveal gameplay for this at Mr freezes ice castle thing a few years back, looked promising.

Everything else since has looked pretty awful.

Jayjayhd34

*At launch
It doesn't say that. It would be outright lie. They already getting enough bad feedback on the game I doubt they would make that even worse by outright lying about game mechanics.

Anyway really dissipointed by the trailer it's missing batgirl and don't really feel for any of the other characters. I just want a good story that feels like your playing as batman most of the time.

Last edited:

gamer82

did you not se the janky animations in the other Arkham games when you took down an enemy , i'm not really seeing that here.

Last edited:
Games as a Service refers to games that operate without initial purchasing costs and instead, make their profits on subscriptions or in-game purchases. Games as a Service allows video games to be monetized even after they are released and it has been proven to keep players more engaged longer.

No I think you lack understanding of what gaas is. If don't like the concept of the game then that's fine but don't call it something it's not and confuse people.
In the greedy gaming 9ndustry that's not how a lot of gaas games work. There are plenty of games that cost $ up front too like destiny, outwat h, anthem, bf, cod, etc

Fbh

I was actually hyped for this game. I liked Arkham Origins and a coop Arkham game sounded fun.
But it continues to look worse with each new thing they show.

Now I'm at the "buy when it's on sale for $20 or less" range.

Last edited:

Ristifer

The initial reveal gameplay for this at Mr freezes ice castle thing a few years back, looked promising.

Everything else since has looked pretty awful.
I thought that looked promising as well. I figured it would get better from that showing, but it just looks worse. It's unfortunate.

I just played through Knight and Origins and all I can think is why does this looks so much worse than the 2015 or 2013 Batman games? Hell I bet I fire up City or even Asylum and they look better in some ways. Not just in terms of effects but the art direction in the new game is so bland and the animations are super shaky. How is this the same universe as the previous Arkham games? The sections of Gotham you explore in those games were as much a character as the people in it, full of interesting touches all over. It also serves to help navigate the city without using the map all the time as everything is a landmark making it easy to know exactly where you are. This just looks like a fairly normal city and in a single shot I can pick out multiple buildings that look near-identical. Everything looks so incredibly sterile and bland.

I get that Rocksteady is in another league when it comes to in-game assets and effects compared to the studio that did Origins but it's been a decade since then. I hope by release it's looking better or I hope they delay it to give it a bit more time in the oven. This makes me curious to see what Rocksteady's 2023 Suicide Squad game is going to look like.

UXJ3HeG.jpg

02Xmox2.jpg

CmRWd1V.jpg

NR6on0W.jpg

RU7J7Sr.jpg

rde3DUX.jpg

9lsj6kE.jpg

iDtmF9a.jpg

h8d9Vq9.jpg

lzG3LWC.jpg

FJOAXxv.jpg

gyrGfKk.jpg

tOewvcK.jpg

SpbVF29.jpg

gLvLW8x.png

N7LZWKU.jpg

lZWJrcw.jpg

QOkwp7d.jpg

YNJemck.jpg

Shmunter

I just played through Knight and Origins and all I can think is why does this looks so much worse than the 2015 or 2013 Batman games? Hell I bet I fire up City or even Asylum and they look better in some ways. Not just in terms of effects but the art direction in the new game is so bland and the animations are super shaky. How is this the same universe as the previous Arkham games? The sections of Gotham you explore in those games were as much a character as the people in it, full of interesting touches all over. It also serves to help navigate the city without using the map all the time as everything is a landmark making it easy to know exactly where you are. This just looks like a fairly normal city and in a single shot I can pick out multiple buildings that look near-identical. Everything looks so incredibly sterile and bland.

I get that Rocksteady is in another league when it comes to in-game assets and effects compared to the studio that did Origins but it's been a decade since then. I hope by release it's looking better or I hope they delay it to give it a bit more time in the oven. This makes me curious to see what Rocksteady's 2023 Suicide Squad game is going to look like.

UXJ3HeG.jpg

02Xmox2.jpg

CmRWd1V.jpg

NR6on0W.jpg

RU7J7Sr.jpg

rde3DUX.jpg

9lsj6kE.jpg

iDtmF9a.jpg

h8d9Vq9.jpg

lzG3LWC.jpg

FJOAXxv.jpg

gyrGfKk.jpg

tOewvcK.jpg

SpbVF29.jpg

gLvLW8x.png

N7LZWKU.jpg

lZWJrcw.jpg

QOkwp7d.jpg

YNJemck.jpg
They’re probably using vanilla unreal 4 now vs the highly customised unreal 3 previously. Likely staffed with amateurs vs high level talent at Rocksteady. Probably why they dropped the last gen despite looking positively last gen, just don’t have the skill to optimise, simply brute forcing mediocre code on latest hardware.

UXJ3HeG.jpg

02Xmox2.jpg

CmRWd1V.jpg

NR6on0W.jpg

RU7J7Sr.jpg

rde3DUX.jpg

9lsj6kE.jpg

iDtmF9a.jpg

h8d9Vq9.jpg

lzG3LWC.jpg

FJOAXxv.jpg

gyrGfKk.jpg

tOewvcK.jpg

SpbVF29.jpg

gLvLW8x.png

N7LZWKU.jpg

lZWJrcw.jpg

QOkwp7d.jpg

YNJemck.jpg
It's not in the same continuity as the Arkham games. Suicide Squad takes place in Arkham universe.

It's not in the same continuity as the Arkham games. Suicide Squad takes place in Arkham universe.

I assumed since the characters and combat are so similar and Batman is gone,
it took place after the end of Arkham Knight where Bruce punched out with the Knightfall Protocol and is assumed to be dead

But after reading your post I checked and read an interview about it. I suppose Batgirl not being in a wheelchair should have been enough of a clue.

Top Bottom