• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotham Knights | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member
gotham_knights_primeiras_impressoes__1k700b-1210x544.jpg

Game Information

Game Title: Gotham Knights

Platforms:

• PC (Oct 21, 2022)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Oct 21, 2022)
  • PlayStation 5 (Oct 21, 2022)
Trailers:

Developer: Warner Bros. Games Montréal

Publisher: Warner Bros. Games

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 72 average - 45% recommended - 44 reviews

sg4ykpm.jpg

Metacritic - 59 average - 4 reviews

cOgdvFV.jpg

Critic Reviews
COGconnected - Jaz Sagoo - 86 / 100
Gotham Knights is bold and brave. It removes the leading character of the universe in order to focus on those who are often pushed aside. The treatment of the new team is fantastic and as a result, WB Montreal has found new figureheads.

Checkpoint Gaming - Luke Mitchell - 7.5 / 10
Gotham Knights smartly puts focus on some iconic DC Villains and showcases a new threat with an interesting story full of conspiracies and secrets. It does a good job of establishing this story with underrated heroes, tying in fun action which is enhanced greatly by playing with a friend. Other elements, like boring diversions from the main story, a tacked-on crafting system, and an over-reliance on throwing piles of long, repetitive battles in your path towards the end are less successful, but I still enjoyed my time exploring Gotham City overall. Especially if you have a sidekick, this is a superhero adventure that is well worth suiting up for.

Console Creatures - Bobby Pashalidis - Recommended
Gotham Knights deliver a fantastically told story that deals with the grief of losing Batman by carrying on the legacy as the protector of Gotham City.

Dexerto - Sam Comrie - 8 / 10
A lot has been riding on Gotham Knights' shoulders but the wait has paid off dividends. Performance issues aside, its gripping story and gorgeous open-world enforce it as a confident successor to the Arkham franchise. Gotham Knights is a robust co-op adventure that embraces the Dark Knight's world wholeheartedly.

Enternity.gr - Panagiotis Petropoulos - Greek - 6 / 10
Gotham Knights only appeals to die-hard fans of the Gotham universe, even if it does so at the risk of completely disappointing them.

Eurogamer - Christian Donlan - No Recommendation
This is a slight muddle of a game, but it has its pleasures.

GameGrin - Jase Taylor - 8.5 / 10
While separate from the Batman Arkham games timeline, Gotham Knights proves there is room on the block for a second AAA Batman franchise in the gaming world. The only question is, who will you choose to play as?

GameSpew - Richard Seagrave - 9 / 10
Quote not yet available

GameWatcher - Adam Cook - 6 / 10
Warner Bros. attempt at getting things going again with Gotham Knights feels largely flat thanks to unwieldy movement and a world that is more "checklist" than immersive, but in small doses it can be fun, and the heroes all feel unique and work well in co-op multiplayer.

Gameblog - French - 6 / 10
Quote not yet available

Gamers Heroes - Blaine Smith - 95 / 100
Gotham Knights is up there with Elden Ring as a Game of the Year contender. Its fast, responsive, and action-packed combat is surpassed only by a narrative that had me glued from the very first cutscene. A must-play for fans of open-world titles, and an easy pickup for anyone invested with the Gotham Knights or DC Universe.

GamingBolt - Shubhankar Parijat - 7 / 10
Gotham Knights' insistence on being a modern open world RPG leads to some gameplay issues and painfully generic mechanics, but there's a lot of fun to be had here nonetheless, and an engaging story to experience. It may not be Arkham, but it's good enough in its own right.

GamingINTEL - Callum Self - 6 / 10
Living in the shadow of Rocksteady's Arkham series, Gotham Knights can't seem to leave a mark for even the biggest Batman fans. A wave of performance issues only makes the decent combat and terrible traversal worse, and a good story won't help it alone.

GamingTrend - Adam Moreno - 85 / 100
Gotham Knights is filled to the brim with character and nods to the Bat-Family. While the locked-in 30 FPS might be a dealbreaker for some, the flawless co-op experience Gotham Knights provides is an amazing time for those who want to fight crime with friends. A fully immersive Gotham City for you to travel in your way, either straight through the story, or complete every side mission you can; your time in Gotham is up to you.

Geek Culture - Jake Su - 7.8 / 10
Gotham Knights brings to the table a still-satisfying blend of combat and stealth, four distinct enough superheroes that should really get their own standalone games, and some interesting story beats that could use more time to be fleshed out. Whether that is enough to mask the issues will be a decision players will have to make, just like the contrast with the Arkham games. No one said being a superhero was easy, and the growing pains of Gotham Knights are a clear indication that the mantle of Batman is one that is hard to wear.

Hardcore Gamer - Kevin Dunsmore - 3.5 / 5
Quote not yet available

Hobby Consolas - Álvaro Alonso - Spanish - 75 / 100
Gotham Knights doesn't know what game wants to be. It has the narrative and structure of a single player game... But also lackluster RPG elements that doesn't add anything to the formula and infinite, repeatable objectives like a MMO. It's not a bad game and we actually had fun with our time with it, but it lacks... something. And it's not Batman.

Impulsegamer - Paul Stuart - 3.9 / 5
Gotham Knights is a beautiful game that tells an amazing story. Fans of Batman and Arkham Knights will definitely like what they see. Still, the game's over-reliance on grapple and grind can wear thin, even with a terrific nightly progression system that advances main and side missions wonderfully. Final judgment should be reserved for robust multiplayer inclusion, however.

Metro GameCentral - Cheri Faulkner - 6 / 10
Simultaneously better and worse than you'd expect, with some fun co-op and detective elements but weak combat and muddled storytelling.

MondoXbox - Andrea Giuliani - Italian - 7.5 / 10
Gotham Knights has a lot of potential which, however, stays partly unexpressed: the fights suffer from a lower physicality compared to the previous Arkham titles and even the city traversal appears less convincing, while a graphics performance mode would have helped in the most frantic action scenes. It however remains a game capable of entertaining and highly recommended to fans of the Bat-family, mainly thanks to a good story that manages to keep us glued to the screen.

One More Game - Chris Garcia - Wait
Gotham Knights does a lot of things right but keeps flying low and fails to push past the point of just good to great. Crime fighting is best done with another Knight by your side, and the untethered nature of its co-op play feels great until you experience the massive performance drops.
Players will need to look past a number of things before considering the game, which could be a tough ask, especially with other big-ticket titles launching within its release window. It’s a shame, because Gotham Knights has some interesting ideas that simply suffer from average implementation. A lot of things in the game feels ok but not great, but fans of the Bat-universe can find quite a decent adventure that can easily entertain.

PC Gamer - Tyler Colp - 49 / 100
Gotham Knights attempts to differentiate itself from the Arkham series with new characters and a new canon, but spends most of its length poorly imitating what made those games great.

PCGamesN - Damien Mason - 6 / 10
Its colourful cast of characters handles Batman's absence well, but mismatched features and puzzling progression means it trips as much as it triumphs.

PSX Brasil - Bruno Henrique Vinhadel - Portuguese - 75 / 100
Gotham Knights is hampered by a marketing that did not distance it enough from the Arkham series, being a totally different universe that can't be compared. It has good combat, especially when co-op, and a fun, comic book-style campaign. However, the lack of creativity in some points, activities that look the same and the refinement in general prevent the title from shining more.

PlayStation Universe - Garri Bagdasarov - 8 / 10
Gotham Knights step out of the shadows of the Dark Knight and provide a breath of fresh air with four unique characters that provide a different approach to protecting Gotham. Gotham Knights' combat may feel stripped down, but it still provides some of the best melee combat on the market. Gotham City has plenty of crimes to solve and challenges to get through. It's just a shame some of its traversals can be so bothersome.

PowerUp! - Adam Mathew - 6.5 / 10
Basically, Gotham Knights got pushed out of the belfry when it was only barely, kinda, sorta ready to fly.

Press Start - James Mitchell - 7.5 / 10
Gotham Knights is both something different and something familiar for Batman fans. While the new role-playing elements create some pacing issues throughout the story, the breadth of abilities and ease of progression stop the experience from being as tedious as it could have been.

Push Square - Liam Croft - 7 / 10
Gotham Knights is the type of game you so dearly want to love, but time and time again it gives you a reason not to. What Warner Bros. Games Montreal has here is an excellent story with top-notch cutscene direction and a fun combat system, with too many needless and confusing mechanics bolted on top. If you can look past them, there's a genuinely great game here. We recommend trying your best to do so; you'll find a compelling narrative on the other side.

PushStartPlay - Richard Lee Breslin - 7.5 / 10
It won’t win any Game of the Year awards, but it still has charm. Be the hero that this game needs because Gotham Knights is an underdog story worth experiencing.

SECTOR.sk - Matúš Štrba - Slovak - 8 / 10
Gotham Knights brings a familiar world and characters, borrows basics from the Arkham series, but lacks the polish that the Arkham series was known for. It offers fun co-op and variable characters, but the side content sometimes seems rather generic.

Shacknews - Ozzie Mejia - 7 / 10
Batman has trained these heroes for this moment, but they aren't ready to rise to the occasion just yet with Gotham Knights.

Sirus Gaming - Lexuzze Tablante - 6.5 / 10
Gotham Knights can prove to be a great game in certain aspects but it struggles to find its own identity. It’s lost and doesn’t really know what it wants to be, but regardless of its identity crisis, Gotham Knight’s characters, co-op, and enjoyable combat made my time memorable and bearable.

Stevivor - Steve Wright - 4 / 10
Those without a real attachment to the Bat family will feel indifferent to what's presented; most who adore Dick and Babs will simply be disappointed.

TechRaptor - Alex Santa Maria - 6 / 10
Gotham Knights has plenty of great ideas to shake up the Batman formula, but never quite gets them together for an all-star team-up. Instead, it's a forgettable game that will only please the most diehard DC fans.

The Beta Network - Samuel Incze - 8 / 10
Gotham Knights successfully gives players a great new Batman title, without a heavy reliance on the Caped Crusader himself. The gameplay is fun, with combat feeling excellent, and the co-op really adds a whole new layer to the game. With an intriguing narrative that sees the Dark Knight’s understudies take up the mantle, Gotham Knights provides an exciting and emotional experience that is definitely worth picking up!

Twinfinite - Shaun Ranft - 4.5 / 5
Gotham Knights is a game that draws its line in the sand very early on and rarely wavers. It is a game that emphasizes the importance of support and empathy while sprinkling in every element we’ve come to expect and adore from these titles along the way.

VG247 - Connor Makar - 3 / 5
It's been many years in the making, but can Gotham Knights meet expectations? Not really.

VGC - Jordan Middler - 4 / 5
Gotham Knights steps out of Arkham’s shadow to provide a great super hero game full of excellent characters. While some open-world fluff remains, it’s still gaming’s best take on Gotham that we couldn’t stop exploring.

Wccftech - Alessio Palumbo - 7.5 / 10
Gotham Knights is an enjoyable action RPG that follows in the footsteps of the Batman: Arkham legacy while striking out on its own in a slightly different direction. It's the most realistic Gotham City we've seen yet, even though the story is only serviceable and the performance is disappointing. Still, fans of the genre and the characters should have fun with the game.

We Got This Covered - Eric Hall - 2.5 / 5
There are plenty of moments in Gotham Knights that make for a good time - the camaraderie between the heroes is enjoyable, and the city itself looks great. However, the combat is too basic and monotonous to stand on its own, and the story struggles to get going before it falls apart.

WellPlayed - Adam Ryan - 5 / 10
Gotham Knights sets itself apart from the Arkham series in all the wrong ways, leaving players with a disappointing action-RPG that's in desperate need of refinement.

Worth Playing - Chris "Atom" DeAngelus - 8 / 10
Gotham Knights stands in the shadow of giants, and while it doesn't necessarily stand as an equal, it's a valiant effort. There's clearly a lot of love and care put into the game, and while it doesn't hit every mark, it hits more than it misses. The only thing that really drags it down are some technical issues and a slight drought of unique open-world content to complete. It's a great attempt to figure out how you do Batman without Batman, and this title should scratch the itch of any Batman fan.

Xbox Achievements - Richard Walker - 78%
You may spend a lot of your time comparing Gotham Knights to the Arkham series, and that's to be expected. But this is a different beast, and something to be relished on its own terms.

XboxEra - Jesse Norris - 8.4 / 10
“In the end, either solo and especially in co-op, it’s an easy recommendation for me. All four heroes play fantastically and are quite different from one another. It also looks great on a Series X. I hope that Gotham Knights becomes a series because this is one hell of a first entry.”

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
After Suicide Squad bombs these guys are going to be up for sale.

That said, I'd still play this if it was on a deep, deep sale. It looks pretty bad, but it's still an action game.

This isn't Rocksteady, it's WB Montreal who made the Arkham Origins spin-off game. Which should have been the only sign anyone needed, really.

We knew from a mile away that this would crash and burn. Feels good to be right, again.

Meanwhile in Warner Bros Games
This Is Fine GIF

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Who would have thought, if you publicly scream, that due to Series S, XSX/PS5 version couldn't be better. What a lazy ass studio.

ACESHIGH

Banned
I love seeing this game bombing!!! Who thought this thrash would work out? Suicide squad will be crap as well! Calling it now:They are already heavy into production, no time to do a 180 degree turn to reverse the CO OP focus that's going to be the isduewith that game as well.

When will developers understand that adding these co op MMOish RPG lite mechanics to a single player adventure game rarely works!!

Last edited:

Dibils2k

I'll be honest, i am gonna buy this game no matter what :messenger_tears_of_joy: the draught has been real and this is the first in a line of games coming out (finally) so it wins

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I know, but thanks for the clarification. I meant WB as a whole.

Ahh, I'm with you. Really hope I'm wrong about Justice League, incredibly talented studio working on something that looks so... not incredible.

Stafford

Gotham Knights is a ridiculously fun game with some major flaws. Gotham has never been so big, tall, and beautiful. The story ends up being a disappointment, and the voice acting can be grating as all heck. In the end though, either solo and especially in co-op, it’s an easy recommendation for me. All four heroes play fantastically and are quite different from one another. It also looks great on a Series X. I hope that Gotham Knights becomes a series because this is one hell of a first entry.

https://xboxera.com/2022/10/20/review-gotham-knights/

Freeman76

Sounds like one to try on gamepass in a couple of years time.

The fact they release it on consoles at 30fps turned me away from it already, but the reviews back up the fact its bargain bin at best.

Its a shame because Gotham is one of my favourite settings for any game, I understand why Rocksteady stopped at Knight but I wish they hadnt

Zimmy68

I think Skill Up's theory is 100% correct.
This was supposed to be GAAS game like Avengers, they saw that fail and took it out.
But they forgot to take out the grinding.
It was so much fun playing as Hulk punching robots 30 times to get 1 XP, then another 10 robots to fight!
The review looks like you have to do the same with Batgirl.
I'll pick up when it hit $20.
So glad to see a game where they are forcing the bullshit $70 price tag tank.

winjer

Gold Member
EA had Anthem. Square Enix had The Avengers. Now Warner has this. Hopefully they learn from this. Should have been a single player heavily story focused game. They've effectively ruined Batman exactly how EA ruined Dead Space. I'm worried about Suicide Squad as well.

My guess is that this was supposed to be a GaaS, but they changed it at the last hour, after seeing similar games failing hard. Most notably Marvel Avengers.
So the game was designed with tons of grind and filler to force players into micro-transactions and loot boxes, but these were never removed.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Reminding everyone how dumb it is to spend $2000 on a GPU for console ports....

What I think is that it may not be the best decision to build a PC before the games you want to play are out. Lots of folks focus on the technical aspects but what if the game you built your rig for turns out to be this bad?

FFS I wanted to build a PC for THE friggin MEDIUM once it was announced. Look how that turned out. Thank I kept my trusty old rig instead

I hope in the end of the game the troop shoves Bruce into Raas' resurrection pit, and a new batman game gets announced. I'm quite sad with this and the suicide squad

Top Bottom