• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOTY: Elden Ring or God Of War Ragnarök: Avatar bet

Who takes home the 2022 GOTY?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What did Ragnarok add to God of War (2018)?

There are no perceivable technical upgrades. It’s a $70 expansion. A good expansion with lots of content (worth the cost even), but still not the type of upgrade typically seen in a sequel.
Uncharted 4 and TLoU 2 are also the same game, also.

Anyone who has played GoW:R can't seriously think that. You don't have to like the game at all, but the controls are different, the whole combat flow is completely different (much faster), even the whole structure of the missions vs side missions is not the same.

Boss Man

Only 11 hours into GOWR and so far I definitely prefer Elden Ring, but I think it mostly has to do with me preferring open-world games and RPGs.
But I have to ask, have you played GOWR or are you going by videos?
It’s a bit old in it’s structure but I think it looks amazing, definitely way above it’s predecessor, it’s an incredibly well-crafted saga with a top-tier presentation.
I’m playing it now and enjoying it a lot. My only complaint compared to God of War (2018) is that it feels more like it has training wheels on. I don’t think having characters tell me “try standing on the elevator and looking to the top left” is great game design but idr how much the first game did the same thing.

eg2X3va.jpg
yxzpEa9.jpg

XUIBDSi.jpg
uTH4ydT.jpg

yfqXKA7.jpg

6B3p2GE.jpg

Fredrik

I’m playing it now and enjoying it a lot. My only complaint compared to God of War (2018) is that it feels more like it has training wheels on. I don’t think having characters tell me “try standing on the elevator and looking to the top left” is great game design but idr how much the first game did the same thing.

eg2X3va.jpg
yxzpEa9.jpg

XUIBDSi.jpg
uTH4ydT.jpg

yfqXKA7.jpg

6B3p2GE.jpg
Agreed regarding the training wheels, it’s my main criticism as well, feels like it’s made for kids until Kratos starts chopping someone in pieces so idk what the deal is there lol
It gets slightly better later imo, I’ve had some puzzles where they let me study the mechanics mostly in peace, I’m hoping it might be an unusually long tutorial.

Boss Man

Agreed regarding the training wheels, it’s my main criticism as well, feels like it’s made for kids until Kratos starts chopping someone in pieces so idk what the deal is there lol
It gets slightly better later imo, I’ve had some puzzles where they let me study the mechanics mostly in peace, I’m hoping it might be an unusually long tutorial.
If combat becomes significantly different than the first game I would count that as a notable “sequel scale” change. So far it’s slower and easier, but I am definitely early in the game.

I guess the best summary of my point is just that it feels weird to call Ragnarok GOTY unless you would call God of War (2018) GOTY in 2022 too. I think that lack of innovation is a knock against it for GOTY consideration, even though I also think it’s $70 well spent (and I rarely buy games for full price - Elden Ring was actually the last one that I did).

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Was wondering how many of those 196 people who votes and says elden ring better actually completed the game and were saying the opposite thing to bloodborne in 2015 when bloodborne was in contention

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

The hint system is my chief complaint as well. I just had one puzzle where it took a matter of seconds before it was revealed to me what to do. Pissed me off. It wasn't ridiculously hard and I would have figured it out but I wasn't given a chance. Very annoying.

It was made for kids, adult kids. The same kind that think every Marvel film is a masterpiece. It is simple design for the lowest common denominator - something that Sony games have been really good at. Lots of very shallow systems that never give you a chance to really think for yourself. It will just tell you the answer within seconds.

Boss Man

The hint system is my chief complaint as well. I just had one puzzle where it took a matter of seconds before it was revealed to me what to do. Pissed me off. It wasn't ridiculously hard and I would have figured it out but I wasn't given a chance. Very annoying.
I do love how relevant and natural-sounding the contextual dialog is. Character development and just overall attachment to the characters is really (still) in a league of its own - it feels like these guys are real and on the journey with you. The game does linear gameplay right by being aware of every corner you turn into. It’s the same as 2018 though.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I do love how relevant and natural-sounding the contextual dialog is. Character development and just overall attachment to the characters is really (still) in a league of its own - it feels like these guys are real and on the journey with you. It doesn’t seem any different from 2018 though.

The new environments and new enemies are what set it apart from the 2018 game for me. Heck, the mini-bosses alone are a big change, imo.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

I'm replaying 2018 right now. It's pretty much the same as Ragnarök. Your companions constantly tell you what to do. 0 thinking involved.

Airbus Jr

Banned
I'm replaying 2018 right now. It's pretty much the same as Ragnarök. Your companions constantly tell you what to do. 0 thinking involved.
Funny same thing can be said to previous souls game

Previous cod, gears, gran turismo, assasins creed, batlefield game also felt similar to the newer one

Seeing a pattern here

Last edited:

Boss Man

Funny same thing can be said to previous souls game

Previous cod, gears, gran turismo, assasins creed, batlefield game also felt similar to the newer one

Seeing a pattern here

Would you say that God of War (2018) is better (today) than any game that came out in 2022 besides Ragnarok? I don’t think it’s a crazy thing to believe, but surely you’d have to if you’re going to call Ragnarok GOTY 2022 right?

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Would you say that God of War (2018) is better (today) than any game that came out in 2022 besides Ragnarok? I don’t think it’s a crazy thing to believe, but surely you’d have to if you’re going to call Ragnarok GOTY 2022 right?
Now let me ask you whats the purpose of this question?

Wheres this conversation heading?

Last edited:

Boss Man

Now let me ask you whats the purpose of this question?

Wheres this conversation heading?

I have been trying to make the point that calling Ragnarok GOTY is essentially calling a game from 2018 GOTY. I mean, it could obviously be true, but I think it’s worth considering.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
I have been trying to make the point that calling Ragnarok GOTY is essentially calling a game from 2018 GOTY. I mean, it could obviously be true, but I think it’s worth considering.
2022 is 2022 and 2018 is 2018

Gow 2018 beat red dead redemption 2 doesnt mean gow ragnarok will win or lose vs elden ring nothing is guaranteed anything can happened

Enough with the whataboutism

Last edited:
The fact this whole thread is filled with people whining about how anyone choosing Elden Ring over a GOW is doing it because they hate Sony and don't want Sony to win is really pathetic.
GOTY is a silly award. It might help a low selling game get the recognition it deserves, but both these games are selling huge numbers and neither of them needs an award to help them be successful.
BUT ER will win because GOW is a shitty netflix series with button prompts. ;)

The fact this whole thread is filled with people whining about how anyone choosing Elden Ring over a GOW is doing it because they hate Sony and don't want Sony to win is really pathetic.
GOTY is a silly award. It might help a low selling game get the recognition it deserves, but both these games are selling huge numbers and neither of them needs an award to help them be successful.
BUT ER will win because GOW is a shitty netflix series with button prompts. ;)
Horrible timing
Elden Ring will win GOTY, because Elden Ring is on Xbox and I have an Xbox.

After playing God of War on Give me God of War difficulty up until Vanaheim I'm noping out a bit and just lowered it to No Mercy. My biggest gripe with the game at this point for Ragnarok is how unresponsive the lock on can be when switching targets. The lockon system just kills it for me where it is not snappy, and takes a couple of tries to switch to the enemy you meant to go against. Also the enemy encounters are fucking horrible, due to the camera being so close to Kratos (I know you can switch around but does not help). The environments in which the combat takes place is not always the best, and a lot of times there's not enough movement to, well move around. The skills are fine, and the story is so far great but I just don't feel the same sense of awe and wonderment when playing this compared to how Elden Ring was.

Both games have issues, but Ragnarok is held up by the story and characters, except for the part with the constant puzzle solving shouts, while Elden Ring lacks a proper massive cinematic story (which I don't mind), the gameplay and sheer variety on how you can approach things just takes the cake for me.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It might just be me but I feel like the whole Internet was ablaze about elden ring and even on here with almost nothing but gushing comments for a few weeks. I already feel like it's a little light on gushing from the general public and users on the internet about ragnarok even in its first week.

Maybe I'm completely off the mark, but if I am in anyway right it just goes to show what a phenomenon Elden Ring is and it's not just a game of the year but a true game of a generation.

God of war is still great but is no where near the same level as Elden Ring imo.

Last edited:

Ezekiel_

Banned
It might just be me but I feel like the whole Internet was ablaze about elden ring and even on here with almost nothing but gushing comments for a few weeks. I already feel like it's a little light on gushing from the general public and users on the internet about ragnarok even in its first week.

Maybe I'm completely off the mark, but if I am in anyway right it just goes to show what a phenomenon Elden Ring is and it's not just a game of the year but a true game of a generation.
Because we're all still busy playing it lol

I don't even want to enter the OT for fear of being spoiled

What are you doing?

Last edited:

Fredrik

I hope in my heart of hearts that they both win the exact same amount of goty awards! Two truly epic games. What a year. HFW, GT7, ER GOWR this is probably my favorite year in gaming since FF7 launched back in 97.
Yeah and I’ve played a bunch of LTTP 2020-2021 releases as well, it’s been a fantastic year!

If there is one time when a rigged competition to get a tie would be okay it’s this year’s The Game Awards. Not gonna happen of course but I really just hope fans don’t start to hate on the other game like always when two popular games compete. People need to remember that it’s a Meta 96 game vs a Meta 94 game. Both are 10/10 games. Keep the talks sane people.

Valonquar

Voting God of War even though I probably played Elden Ring twice as long. Annoying hand holding aside it's a really great narrative without having to watch Vatvidya explain it to me afterward. I can see myself going back and playing through 2018 and this again. I will never replay through a FROM game.

eg2X3va.jpg
yxzpEa9.jpg

XUIBDSi.jpg
uTH4ydT.jpg

yfqXKA7.jpg

6B3p2GE.jpg
Not sure where they could have honestly upgraded GOW rag from 2018 much tbh. Horizon was older and a bigger gap. Same with ER from DS3. So I think it’s an unfair comparison cause GOW was a standard for ps4. I think thdd we bigger critism are gameplay not technical. Was and still is a technical masterpiece.

Samrf89

GOW:R is what you'd expect from a 2022 AAA game. outlandish, cinematic, good graphics, good action. but it's what you'd expect. you could replace it with an array of other games in this era and it doesn't really stand out.

Elden Ring is an artistic achievement. it moves the medium forward. it is a landmark title that quite frankly is a jaw-dropping experience.

comparing these two (genres aside) is ridiculous. this should not be a debate, plain and simple. GOTY awards should be saved for the game that truly feels head and shoulders above everything else that's come out this year in games. Elden Ring is fascinating. it's borderline the Ocarina of Time of this generation. Ragnarok ain't it.

i'm not a souls fan. that seems to be a necessary disclaimer. but elden ring is not just the best game of the year, it's arguably the best game of the 2020's so far.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned

Elden Ring is an artistic achievement. it moves the medium forward. it is a landmark title that quite frankly is a jaw-dropping experience.

How’s that? It’s open world demons souls with worse graphics and the only thing going on is a player made character going around killing monsters and getting xp.

Some of you are insane with this whole angle on Elden Ring, but its perfect for today’s audience that is so removed from one the most essential of human’s experiences, stories and characters… metaphorical and allegorical struggles, people who go through shit. In Elden Ring all you go through is a some demonic bitch who is walking around waiting to die.

Last edited:

blacktout

Poll needs a coward's option so I can see the results. I think Elden Ring is probably the frontrunner but I'm not confident enough to risk ... uh, minor reputational damage on the internet? Alright, that is pretty pathetic now that I think about it.

Die me this is an issue, but it has been an issue that I have been speaking about since uncharted 4 I think, maybe 3 (I know different studio, but they do exchange a lot).

Arachnid

Shit, I voted before to read the rules.
Feeling Dumb Jim Carrey GIF
Animation Tighten GIF by Reuben Armstrong
discussion reviews GIF

AWESOME, I'm not alone 😹

Heart Attack Close Call GIF by reactionseditor
Holy shit, I did the same. I cant lose my Heather avatar! I've been using it for most of my teenage years and all of my adult years! It's been more than half my life! Hell of a bet on my end

d5d2f76147df73f1c9e19c1860fc0f2194892f56.gif

do-you-know-how-much-i-sacrifice-angry.gif

I'm still 99% sure I'm fine though. Elden Ring gang gang

icegif-1068.gif
[/spoiler[

Last edited:

Vick

Was loving Ragnarok, but then Iron Wood happened. Elden Ring must win. For the sake of gaming.

Last edited:

hinch7

Completed both of them and has a little time to reflect on my thoughts on GoW Ragnarok. Both are top class games and almost in its own league to whats out there. Saying that, Elden Ring is just one of those rare titles that you come accross every decade or so and takes everyones expectations away and blows it away in multitudes of ways.

If I'm being honest, Ragnarok was a little bit of let down for me after the first. Which was and is one of my all time favourites. Still loved my time playing with it, but Elden Ring is was just on another level. Imo of course.

In any case enjoy, whatever you play both are amazing titles everyone should play.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
GOW:R is what you'd expect from a 2022 AAA game. outlandish, cinematic, good graphics, good action. but it's what you'd expect. you could replace it with an array of other games in this era and it doesn't really stand out.

comparing these two (genres aside) is ridiculous. this should not be a debate, plain and simple. GOTY awards should be saved for the game that truly feels head and shoulders above everything else that's come out this year in games. Elden Ring is fascinating. it's borderline the Ocarina of Time of this generation. Ragnarok ain't it.

i'm not a souls fan. that seems to be a necessary disclaimer. but elden ring is not just the best game of the year, it's arguably the best game of the 2020's so far.
Perfectly put. God of war is a truly great game but Elden Ring I'd just something else. One of those special titles that comes around once a decade if we are lucky.

skit_data

I’m not gonna vote in this because to me they’re equally worthy winners and 10/10 games that everybody should play. It truly feels like a toss up in terms of which game will get the most awards.

Last edited:

RafterXL

GoW 2022 is worse than 2018 simply for the hand-holdy bullshit that's even worse than H:FW. Sony really thinks their gamers are all fucking braindead.

I mean look at this stupidity:

This is what happens when your entire design philosophy is catered to "cinematic" experiences. You dumb down your audience to the point that any time actual gameplay happens you have to hold their hand and walk them through it step by step.

It's infuriating and insulting to pay $70 for a MATURE rated game, only to be treated like a child for 40+ hours. The least they could do is let us toggle this crap off, so those of us who don't drool on our controllers can have an enjoyable experience along with the short bus crew.

In short...Elden Ring is GotY, and it's not close.

Vick

I call that character
angrboring

Easily the worst part of the game but at least
boi is super fun to use
I actually stopped playing right before the climax of that sequence. Gryla was unsettling as fuck. Scared and disturbed the shit out of me.

It surely redeemed that sequence a bit, but still it's waaay to long, happens all of a sudden without any kind of warning, and that formula simply has no place in a God of War game, no matter how stunning it looks and how interesting it might be.

tommib

I actually stopped playing right before the climax of that sequence. Gryla was unsettling as fuck. Scared and disturbed the shit out of me.

It surely redeemed that sequence a bit, but still it's waaay to long, happens all of a sudden without any kind of warning, and that formula simply has no place in a God of War game, no matter how stunning it looks and how interesting it might be.
I’ve been a bit surprised with the reaction to Ironwood since I think the whole area is gorgeous and my head calibrated to the calmness of the section - which for sure helps with the disturbing boss that comes out of nowhere.

However, I totally get why it has no place in a GOW game. The game completely shifts gears with that long sequence and becomes something else entirely. It will be impossible to go through all that on a new play through unless they add a skip cutscenes option - and even then, you’re still going to be running and catching fruit for at least 30 minutes.

It should’ve been optional content.

Last edited:

Vick

It should’ve been optional content.
Absolutely. As a kind of Separate Ways bonus would have rocked, but right in the middle of the damn game? The fuck were they smoking?
You don't try to emulate Naughty Dog after a game like God of War 2018, Naughty Dog should emulate you.

Top Bottom