• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOW: Ragnarok vs Zelda: BOTW 2. If you had to choose one which would it be?

If you had to choose between GOW: Ragnarok or Zelda: BOTW2 your choice?

• GOW: Ragnarok

Votes: 227 48.2%
  • Zelda: BOTW 2

Votes: 224 47.6%
  • Neither

Votes: 20 4.2%

• Total voters

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Yes these games are dramatically different in some ways but also Dramatically the same in others. Both are adventure types with Combat, both have lore around gods, and both have epic scales.

AS a switch/ps5 owner it's a tough decisions for me. Yes I will get both eventually but time for gaming is hard these days. For me it's a fairly easy decicion in GOW: Ragnarok but each his own. If you could choose one, which would it be?

mxbison

Not sure I'll like the phase/time shifting mechanic they showed for BotW2 so I'd give the slight edge to GoW.

SeraphJan

How are we going to compare them, based on our knowledge of the previous game and a few trailers?

I would have to say neither interests me.

I voted neither, but at least the former had visual edge.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Zelda, I've beaten 18 Zelda games and I'm not about to stop now.

Also, BOTW2 doesn't even have a release date yet, I'm sure you can find time to beat GoW by then.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
God Of War Kratos Nod GIF by PlayStation

TexMex

I loved GoW and actively disliked BotW. But I’m still voting BotW. Ragnarok will be good but I know what that game will be start to finish. I’m more curious about BotW2.

Lasha

BotW 2 for me if I have to choose. I didn't enjoy my time with the new GoW as much as I enjoyed the older games. I'm not terribly excited for either since I'll probably be playing Splatoon 3.

Chukhopops

I’m a little more excited about BotW sequel after putting 250 hours in the first one.

I expect it to be what Majora’s mask was to OoT and for minds to be blown.

FingerBang

I'm definitely on the GOW side. I loved Breath of the Wild, but I'm sucker for a good story and characters and need my good dose of GOW.
BotW 2 won't be $70 dollar DLC so...BotW2.
Tell us more about this game you've obviously played thoroughly!

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

I vote neither. GoW has no interest to me as it is the same damn game. I haven't been following BoTW2 but if it is the same as the first one then I don't really care to play it again. I want a completely new experience.

Not sure how that’s a bad thing though. I wish Nintendo had lower prices sometimes.

Get an amazing game for $15 or get an amazing game for $60.. Easy choice if you’re low on cash imo.
Seth Meyers Weighing Options GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

That’s my issue with Nintendo as well. Some of their games seem a bit much at 60$ but unfortunately those prices never drop. Don’t have an issue with games like Xenoblade because they provide a ton of value for the money.

Jennings

Between all the cut scenes GoW should have a fun game in there, but I've never watched streamers openly crying about the majesty of the experience like with BotW. I'll go with BotW2 if only for the cosplay and gamer chicks living it out.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
If you were in a position to choose between GOW and Zelda (ie you had both a PS5 and a Switch) and you're not a child and therefore control your own finances, this is not really a question that needs answering. You'd just get both. Besides they are completely different.

Last edited:
Unless BOTW2 fixes the problem with the lack of puzzles/dungeons and interesting landmarks, it's a pass for me. It felt like an archaic game
In the case of GOWR, I don't care at all for it

I would say BOTW2 in this case, but they will have to make a large jump in presentation and gameplay to impress me.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
The prospect of playing Breath of the Wild II on new hardware triggers feelings in me I thought died in the 90s.

I think it moved.

Zelda, to me they ruined the god of war franchise with the 2018 game. It was a generic uninspired ripoff of other games with no soul like the real god of war games had. zelda botw, even though I didn't think it was that good still kept the soul of zelda.

Zelda, to me they ruined the god of war franchise with the 2018 game. It was a generic uninspired ripoff of other games with no soul like the real god of war games had. zelda botw, even though I didn't think it was that good still kept the soul of zelda.

Ironic considering how derivative BOTW was

TastyPastry

GoW was good but i worry Ragnarok is going to be a pretty safe sequel so i'm choosing BotW2. also the recent info about the different shields in ragnarok was a huge turnoff, hopefully they are not going to double down on the shitty as loot system of the first one.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
They are very different sort of games, but judging by the first ones overall BOTW is the better designed, the item and weapon select and overall Ui is more intuitive and I found the open world and freedom to climb, chop down trees etc more fun. The environmental puzzles and gameplay give BOTW more depth.
There are lengths of time in Gow which are bit tedious.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
By this logic BOTW2 will be $60 DLC. It’s probably gonna use the same map.

Completely illogical. Why?

Because Nintendo has never made an unambitious Zelda game in their history. Good luck if you think that's going to start with BotW2.

And there's a reason why the "God of War Ragnarok DLC" label stuck, while the accusation isn't used on most other AAA games.

It's cool if you like God of War, but you can't really deny that it looks essentially identical to the 2018 version.

brian0057

Banned
Well, God of War was just an unbroken cinematic experience with no cutscenes (at least, in the tradtional sense) and ok combat.
So... Breath of the Wild 2.

Breath of The Wild 2 if it came with new hardware. I might not even buy BoTW2 if theres no switch pro or switch 2. fuck playing new games in 2023 in 720p 30fps

Last edited:

Little Mac

Gold Member
If BotW2 drops the annoying weapon durability system from the first game, and launches with new hardware, then I would chose it. If not, I'd probably vote neither. I'm more interested in GoW:Rag's story than the continuation of it's gameplay mechanics.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
Both on different genres, seasons, consoles... But ok I'll play your game. Breath of the wild 2 will offer the new experience so, that one. Even today, after 5.5 years the first game has gameplay value while GOW is a thing from the past and tbh I prefer the og trilogy.

Top Bottom