• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOW: Ragnarok vs Zelda: BOTW 2. If you had to choose one which would it be?

If you had to choose between GOW: Ragnarok or Zelda: BOTW2 your choice?

• GOW: Ragnarok

Votes: 227 48.2%
  • Zelda: BOTW 2

Votes: 224 47.6%
  • Neither

Votes: 20 4.2%

• Total voters

Bragr

Banned
God of War is gonna be great, and I expect the story to be great, but I also expect it to play the same. While BOTW2 is likely gonna introduce a lot of new systems and mechanics and be more interesting. I hope we get flying with the loftwings.

BOTW2.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
We've seen about the same amount for both titles.

So I watched both trailers. I will admit, I have egg on my face. That minute and a half trailer did indeed look more of the same.

But I must refortify my position by moving goalposts the best I can...

1. I have more confidence that BotW2 will surprise players with new gameplay mechanics than God of War Ragnarok.

2. BotW 2 trailer is 1:39. Ragnaroks trailer is 3:17. So the added duration puts more strain on the "sequel as DLC" accusation.

3. BotW 2 has a significantly longer dev cycle, with less emphasis on production values, which boldens point 1.

I don't know, maybe I'm stretching a bit. I do see your point.

zcaa0g

Banned
I'm curious what the poll results would be if specific to those who own both platforms. Odds are high if a person only has one of the platforms, they're going to vote for the game that is on the platform they own.

sendit

New enemy outposts, obviously. Difference is clear as day!
lbmfadqupt571.png
Looks like they reduced draw distance.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
For anyone says that this is ridiculous as neither game is released yet.

I would point out this is the next logical step after Halo : Infinite won GOTY on GAF, with enough people voting for Forge and Coop as the reason to appear on the word map.

So why even wait for the game to be released before casting your vote? People already did this last year and it resulted in a winner.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Looks like they reduced draw distance.
While I just posted that pic as a joke I don’t think there’s any difference In draw distance.

It’s probably just that the volcano is no longer active (hopefully there’s a temple/dungeon inside it this time!) and the divine beast, and its “laser”, is no longer on the cliff to the right. The Sheika towers are gone as well.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

Both on different genres, seasons, consoles... But ok I'll play your game. Breath of the wild 2 will offer the new experience so, that one. Even today, after 5.5 years the first game has gameplay value while GOW is a thing from the past and tbh I prefer the og trilogy.
I'll take OG trilogy remake over Ragnarok (and its sequels) any day.

But same goes for Zelda, I prefer old Zelda formula.

Thus why I voted neither.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

I'm curious what the poll results would be if specific to those who own both platforms. Odds are high if a person only has one of the platforms, they're going to vote for the game that is on the platform they own.
I guess some games are console seller, so I assume that's what OP meant, at least these two game definite are console sellers

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
No interest in GoW2 whatsoever. After Elden Ring BotW2 has my curiosity. Design, gameplay wise.

Weird thread

laugh make GIF

CS Lurker

Even if we were talking about the golden age of GoW (this new approach for the IP was a garbage move for my taste), I would still choose BotW 2. I'm really curious about what they have been cooking for us.

Last edited:

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
BOTW2. Without a doubt. Hands down. No question.

Actually it's almost insulting to even compare God of War to BOTW. Zelda is on a whole other level. God of War is just your average game. Might win a GOTY somewhere but really it's nothing special.
I guarantee this guy never played it. GOW is "average" and Zelda is "on a whole other level"

Poll is very close.

Paltheos

Wow. Over 250 votes and it's perfectly split 50-50.

My answer is BOTW2. I love the exploration in the first game and have high hopes for the sequel. I have no interest in the new Dad of War games.

Imo BotW was much better than God of War, and I trust the Zelda devs over Santa Monica. I'll certainly enjoy both games but I think BotW 2 will be vastly superior, especially if they actually focus on improving the dungeons

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I think God of War Ragnarok is going to be on an entirely different plane when it comes to story telling, combat, and presentation.

BOTW was a barren open world game with little direciton. I hated all of the orb shrine challenges as well.

I went with Ragnarok but that was a tough choice. Both has the POTENTIAL to be the best Zelda ever if they can integrate 4 classic style dungeons into it as well as shrines and more enemy types. However, Nintendo has a way of not doing exactly what I want them too so I may be slightly disappointed with the direction they decide to go. Also, I don't like how they're using a lit of the same overworld/map.

Ragnarok has me more hyped because I'm a graphics where on top of already loving the first game. I can't wait to see how beautiful this looks on ps5. I have faith that the graphics will deliver and be as impressive as a cross gen GoW can be. The story is way more intriguing than Zelda and it'll be fun to see how they evolve the combat system.

GOW is one of the greatest games of last generation. BOTW is one of the greatest games of all time.

and its easy to assume that GOW 2 won't be much different then the first. But as great as BOTW 1 is, the room for improvement was insane. 5 years later. maybe 300 hours later im STILL playing BOTW. and STILL having fun. and STILL discovering new places on the map and learning things i didn't know i could do

Ezquimacore

Banned
GOW is one of the greatest games of last generation. BOTW is one of the greatest games of all time.

and its easy to assume that GOW 2 won't be much different then the first. But as great as BOTW 1 is, the room for improvement was insane. 5 years later. maybe 300 hours later im STILL playing BOTW. and STILL having fun. and STILL discovering new places on the map and learning things i didn't know i could do
People don't understand this, botw was a nice experiment and look how it went... BOTW 2 will be The Magnum Opus of the zelda team.
botw_crew.jpg

Synless

My dilemma here is it would have been Zelda until BoTW. Imo, that game was a disappointment in story and music. God of War however, was a huge step up in story and world despite gameplay not being as good as Zelda.

I have to go with GoW. I just enjoyed the last game more and have no reason the new Zelda won’t have the same flaws the original had. Shit weapon breaking mechanics, terrible ost, god awful story and acting. Makes me sad realy…

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I have both systems and would never spend money of a GoW game. I hate that franchise, for some reason. Hard to describe but the gameplay bores me to death, ever since a friend tried to excitedly show the first game eons ago.

Zelda is on another level entirely. If we were taking a poll about which PS5 versus Switch game to spend money on first, a much fairer comparison would be Zelda and a FromSoftware game.

DeepSpace5D

Ragnarok is my most anticipated game so that’s an easy one. The fact that it was originally going to be a Norse trilogy, but now they’ve crammed it all into the sequel has me very much looking forward to this adventure. I think this may end up being the most epic God of War entry to date.

Top Bottom