• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GPU price finally dropping

Sybrix

At last the stock levels are increasing and prices are dropping:

Today I've seen a 3080 on sale for £788.99 and i'm really tempted.

However i think another month and the prices will come even closer to MSRP.

Anyone else taking a plunge or holding out for a few more weeks?

STARSBarry

Gold Member

I got my RTX 3080 10GB Strix for about £750 and I thought I overpaid back then... then the scalper prices hit and I was like... wow.

Now though anything under 800 even for a lower end 3080 is well worth it. Damn thing runs everything buttery smooth with ray tracing... at 2k anyway.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned

Wait until August/September if you can wait. Those are the dates to buy new gpus.

I'm sure in the current world climate they'll figure out some other reason to claim there are chip shortages or that production costs increased so they have to charge extra.

This will do:

Ukraine's two leading suppliers of neon, which produce about half the world's supply of the key ingredient for making chips, have halted their operations as Moscow has sharpened its attack on the country, threatening to raise prices and aggravate the semiconductor shortage.

(...)

The gas (...) is produced in China as well, but Chinese prices are rising steadily.

Source: https://www.reuters.com/technology/exclusive-ukraine-halts-half-worlds-neon-output-chips-clouding-outlook-2022-03-11/#:~:text=Ukrainian neon is a byproduct,Chinese prices are rising steadily.

As would oil prices inflating transport.

I don't think cheap GPU's are in Nvidia's (nor AMD) interest. Remember these companies never made so much money on GPU's so it's not down to just scalpers or they would implement methods to assure that people who wanted a piece at a reasonable price could buy them. There's always more that could be done compared to doing nothing, which is what they did.

Instead they've resorted to shit like 6500 XT, stuff meant as a entry mobile GPU being sold as a dedicated accelerator for big bucks, even if MSRP is to be respected.

Last edited:
Oh My God Reaction GIF

Oh my word, I thought this thread would be about the best deal in gaming getting even cheaper.

Sybrix

I'm sure in the current world climate they'll figure out some other reason to claim there are chip shortages or that production costs increased so they have to charge extra.

This will do:

Source: https://www.reuters.com/technology/exclusive-ukraine-halts-half-worlds-neon-output-chips-clouding-outlook-2022-03-11/#:~:text=Ukrainian neon is a byproduct,Chinese prices are rising steadily.

As would oil prices inflating transport.

I don't think cheap GPU's are in Nvidia's (nor AMD) interest. Remember these companies never made so much money on GPU's so it's not down to just scalpers or they would implement methods to assure that people who wanted a piece at a reasonable price could buy them. There's always more that could be done compared to doing nothing, which is what they did.

Instead they've resorted to shit like 6500 XT, stuff meant as a entry mobile GPU being sold as a dedicated accelerator for big bucks, even if MSRP is to be respected.

I've been waiting for at least 3 years now, still rocking my 1080.

Upgraded my CPU, RAM and MOBO in 2020... just need my new GPU for the next 5+ years.

Your comments are worth keeping in mind.

Upgraded my CPU, RAM and MOBO in 2020... just need my new GPU for the next 5+ years.

Your comments are worth keeping in mind.
Probably going to need a 4080 to last that long. gpu is the one thing I don’t mind upgrading frequently because the one you have (as long as you didn’t overpay) can just be sold to make all your money back and then some these days.

Used to be I sold my gpu right before a new launch and used integrated graphics for a bit so I could fund the next generation of cards :p

CPU and ram are things I don’t need to upgrade frequently though.

Last edited:

I'm sorry to hear that.

I'm holding off building a new workstation because I can't secure a good GPU at a reasonable price and securing everything else is worthless without it... It's like buying a nice car without an engine.

I've learned in the last two years following supposed market tendencies, price drops, overstock and following up price comparison tools (to know if the price is the lowest ever and how often it drops) for computer components... That prices never reach the best case scenario I defined in order for me to impulse buy, instead they will fluctuate a little but usually not lower than a certain threshold over what I deem as ideal.

So when it goes down and you think "$50 less and I'll bite" know that $50 is unlikely to come and the item will sell out. I you see something you deem to be an "almost" good deal, If you can, go for it.

I got my RTX 3080 10GB Strix for about £750 and I thought I overpaid back then... then the scalper prices hit and I was like... wow.

Now though anything under 800 even for a lower end 3080 is well worth it. Damn thing runs everything buttery smooth with ray tracing... at 2k anyway.
You certainly didn't overpay, the reference 3080 retails for $699, the custom aib designs go from $729 & up. This is possibly even a wind down to sell some more rtx 30 series gpus to make way for the upcoming 40 series gpus which are at best, 6 months away.

FingerBang

Wait until August/September if you can wait. Those are the dates to buy new gpus.
Oh yeah, wait until September for the new GPUs to come out, fight with the people online to get one at launch but fail miserably. Wait for restock, but that goes fast too. Oh no, what's happening? Keep trying. It's 2023 now, you have gone another year without a GPU.

No, buy a GPU now if you have been waiting for an upgrade. You don't know what the fuck is happening to the market later today/next year and a 3080 is definitely going to hold up a few more years unless you're targeting 4K/120hz.

Ezquimacore

Banned
Oh yeah, wait until September for the new GPUs to come out, fight with the people online to get one at launch but fail miserably. Wait for restock, but that goes fast too. Oh no, what's happening? Keep trying. It's 2023 now, you have gone another year without a GPU.

No, buy a GPU now if you have been waiting for an upgrade. You don't know what the fuck is happening to the market later today/next year and a 3080 is definitely going to hold up a few more years unless you're targeting 4K/120hz.
That's true, I forgot the times we are living right now.

Sybrix

Yeah this is my mindset also.

I could wait for the 4000 series.... but then not get one due to scalpers then end up waiting another 6+ months, if i'm lucky.

I'll be getting a 3080 for sure, question is now or a months time....

STARSBarry

Gold Member
You certainly didn't overpay, the reference 3080 retails for $699, the custom aib designs go from $729 & up. This is possibly even a wind down to sell some more rtx 30 series gpus to make way for the upcoming 40 series gpus which are at best, 6 months away.

The thing back then 130$ for a 3% preformance gain from the stock 3080 used to be seen as "overpriced" it now in retrospect just feels like nothing given how the prices skyrocketed by over 200% at some points.

Last edited:

Kaisareon

Neo Member
Still cranking out my GTX 1660ti!! Totally missed the 20 series because of all this, hoping by end of the year I can grab a 30 series for something reasonable.

ManaByte

It’s because the drought causing the semiconductor shortages eased last June. Same reason you’re seeing Xboxes on shelves now.

If Sony started manufacturing PS5s outside of China/Foxconn they’d be easier to get too.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

You got one of the most overpriced expensive if not the most overpriced expensive AIB cards for near MSRP and thought that was over paying?
Unless it was literally at launch and you ordered from Scan 750 - 800 was about what to expect.

But it does look like prices are coming back to below 700 pounds by May.
Cutting it close with Ada Lovelace but I dont think ill be jumping on the RTX40 series....might be the generation I skip.
I get the feeling Nvidia will be frisky with their MSRPs while the performance gains wont be as generational.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I overpaid on my house by probably $100k because of the insanity of the post-COVID housing market, but at least I got a 3080 for original MSRP!
Construction on my house finished just as COVID ramped up. I got so lucky. Finding a decently priced 3080 has not proven so lucky. Bring on the price drops so I feel less guilty about building a PC!

100% this.

Bought a 6900 XT from Best Buy. Even when "on sale," I overpaid for what the card should be worth.

But during this GPU gen, I tried to "play the game," and I very quickly realized it's a fool's errand. I have better shit to do with my time... which is the thing that's most worth to me (and apparently to the people that pay me nicely at work as well 😂👍🏾).

Aesius

Construction on my house finished just as COVID ramped up. I got so lucky. Finding a decently priced 3080 has not proven so lucky. Bring on the price drops so I feel less guilty about building a PC!
Nice. One of my friends bought a house in Dec 2020 and gained $100k in value in a year. Just crazy.

FingerBang

100% this.

Bought a 6900 XT from Best Buy. Even when "on sale," I overpaid for what the card should be worth.

But during this GPU gen, I tried to "play the game," and I very quickly realized it's a fool's errand. I have better shit to do with my time... which is the thing that's most worth to me (and apparently to the people that pay me nicely at work as well 😂👍🏾).
With this market you have to take risks, that's the sad truth. The pandemic seems to be over, but the world is not back to 2019. Chip shortages are still affecting consoles, we have China going into lockdown, wars, crypto constantly bouncing up and down and people with no skills getting into the scalping games cause they can claim they're business owners like the gentlewomen on OnlyFans.

You don't know what happens, buy what you can when you need it. I've had a 3080FE since December 2019, I was unbelievably lucky to get one and I'm still extremely satisfied with it. I might jump to a new one if they offer better 4K/120hz performance and they're available, but man I doubt that will be the case.

Fbh

Hopefully they eventually get back to normal.
Might be able to build a reasonably priced PC before I find a reasonably priced Ps5 around these parts.

With this market you have to take risks, that's the sad truth. The pandemic seems to be over, but the world is not back to 2019. Chip shortages are still affecting consoles, we have China going into lockdown, wars, crypto constantly bouncing up and down and people with no skills getting into the scalping games cause they can claim they're business owners like the gentlewomen on OnlyFans.

You don't know what happens, buy what you can when you need it. I've had a 3080FE since December 2019, I was unbelievably lucky to get one and I'm still extremely satisfied with it. I might jump to a new one if they offer better 4K/120hz performance and they're available, but man I doubt that will be the case.
Nice on getting that 3080!

Yeah, I wanted a new card now. Only time will tell if I "lost" a couple of hundred bucks (if the prices for the current gen cards stabilize/go back to original MSRP). I'm not a market analyst, shit seems kind of volatile at the moment and I didn't want to wait not knowing which direction card availability and prices were gonna go.

For some things in life, the investment is worth as much as I enjoy it. So yeah, overpaid by a couple of hundred bucks, but I'm enjoying every single game on my Steam collection at 1440p max settings.

So when it goes down and you think "$50 less and I'll bite" know that $50 is unlikely to come and the item will sell out. I you see something you deem to be an "almost" good deal, If you can, go for it.
Definitely the case lately. Though I hope we get some killer deals on ryzen 5000 series somewhat similar to zen 2000 series sales when zen 3000 launched.

$85 for 6 core 12 thread 1600af, or 8 core 2700x for $169… crazy man. Hoping I can get an 8 core zen 5000 for around 200 :)

FritzJ92

I found a new 3070 on Newegg for $399, I wonder if the seller is going to cancel my order because that current card is now going for $800.

FingerBang

Nice on getting that 3080!

Yeah, I wanted a new card now. Only time will tell if I "lost" a couple of hundred bucks (if the prices for the current gen cards stabilize/go back to original MSRP). I'm not a market analyst, shit seems kind of volatile at the moment and I didn't want to wait not knowing which direction card availability and prices were gonna go.

For some things in life, the investment is worth as much as I enjoy it. So yeah, overpaid by a couple of hundred bucks, but I'm enjoying every single game on my Steam collection at 1440p max settings.
In the long run it's better you got it for $200 then than MSRP a year later.

It's a great GPU anyway, I'm sure Nvidia will slowly lose the advantage they have with DLSS once FSR2 gets released. It's only weaker in RT but that's not a big deal anyway.

Would at least wait until Intel announces their Arc line up for Q2. Will increase availability of cards and Nvidia and AMD probably don't want Intel to get too much market share in the mid range (rumors are Intel is prepared to sell at cost to gain a chunk of it).

Aesius

House prices are insane, mine house doubled almost in the last 3 years.
Thankfully my area hasn't increased THAT much but my wife and paid probably 30% more than we would have in a normal market. We also appraised for over the purchase price and didn't have to overbid, which is rare. Even got some of our closing costs paid by the sellers.

Black_Stride

Still cranking out my GTX 1660ti!! Totally missed the 20 series because of all this, hoping by end of the year I can grab a 30 series for something reasonable.

You missed the 20 series because you bought a weaker card that came out after the 20 series came out?

A.Romero

They are coming down in my country as well but not as low as OP is describing.

Got to see a 3070ti in like 900 USD shipped (from Amazon Japan)

Kaisareon

Neo Member
You missed the 20 series because you bought a weaker card that came out after the 20 series came out?
A weaker card that at the time when everyone had 35 RTX 20s in their parents basement mining, was very good bang for buck for what I wanted to spend.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Probably going to need a 4080 to last that long. gpu is the one thing I don’t mind upgrading frequently because the one you have (as long as you didn’t overpay) can just be sold to make all your money back and then some these days.

Used to be I sold my gpu right before a new launch and used integrated graphics for a bit so I could fund the next generation of cards :p

CPU and ram are things I don’t need to upgrade frequently though.
I do not recommend that anyone sell an old GPU until they have their replacement in hand. You can't predict launches other than that they will be a miserable slog for most GPU seekers.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
yay. Finally able to spend 800gpu on 2 years old graphics card that eats 350 watts of power :p
I know I have one and I was super lucky to grab FE 3080 on release from nvidia

Black_Stride

A weaker card that at the time when everyone had 35 RTX 20s in their parents basement mining, was very good bang for buck for what I wanted to spend.
People were mining on the RTX20s?
You must be mistaking generations.
The RTX20s werent a good mining setup.
The RX580s were kings of mining for a ridiculously long time...in fact they are still better than RTX20s overall.

RTX 2060s and RTX2070s were literally a dime a dozen and the price was never even gouged, they were pure gamer cards few people found use for them in mining because RX580s just did the job better and once the RX5000s were on the market there was no reason to try scalping an RTX20.

Hell I actually find it funny youd mention mining when the 1660Ti is a better mining card than the RTX 2060 or RTX 2070.

Ive been following mining and pc hardware for a long time.
RTX20s were abysmal for mining unless you got a 2080ti......but then remember how much the 2080ti cost.
The 1660Ti was Nvidias king of the hill for mining.

You didnt skip the 20 series due to any stock or price gouging concerns, those werent an issue for the 20 series in 2019.

Kaisareon

Neo Member
People were mining on the RTX20s?
You must be mistaking generations.
The RTX20s werent a good mining setup.
The RX580s were kings of mining for a ridiculously long time...in fact they are still better than RTX20s overall.

RTX 2060s and RTX2070s were literally a dime a dozen and the price was never even gouged, they were pure gamer cards few people found use for them in mining because RX580s just did the job better and once the RX5000s were on the market there was no reason to try scalping an RTX20.

Hell I actually find it funny youd mention mining when the 1660Ti is a better mining card than the RTX 2060 or RTX 2070.

Ive been following mining and pc hardware for a long time.
RTX20s were abysmal for mining unless you got a 2080ti......but then remember how much the 2080ti cost.
The 1660Ti was Nvidias king of the hill for mining.

You didnt skip the 20 series due to any stock or price gouging concerns, those werent an issue for the 20 series in 2019.
In all honestly, as a complete non follower of anything crypto as it doesn’t interest me, I linked all of it (and covid tbf) to not being able to get a decent card for a price i wanted. Which is fairly true.

But I was able to spend more money on a top end CPU and much more ram though so I’m ready to go.

Last edited:
I do not recommend that anyone sell an old GPU until they have their replacement in hand. You can't predict launches other than that they will be a miserable slog for most GPU seekers.
Not anymore no, I meant in the past. Not since this crypto society ushered in lol.

Wouldn't dream of selling my 3060 before getting an upgrade first. Plus my ryzen doesn't have igpu even if it was a good idea, which it's not anymore.

Last edited:

lmimmfn

In these mad inflationary times, I have 0 interest in buying a gfx card(on principle), Nvidia and Amd gouged consumers when the magic money tree appeared during covid and will try the same with the new generation of cards due later this year(with the power requirements and electricity prices increased 100% over the past 3 months nah).

I'll stick with my trusty 1080Ti until things settle, if it dies in the meantime I'll get a burner gpu and pickup a PS5.

Last edited:

Spacefish

Even MSRP is overpriced, they were set in abnormal market. For an average consumer a new GPU at MSRP is still a shitty value proposition, game visuals have stagnated and consoles are the same price they have always been.

Skifi28

In these mad inflationary times, I have 0 interest in buying a gfx card(on principle), Nvidia and Amd gouged consumers when the magic money tree appeared during covid and will try the same with the new generation of cards due later this year(with the power requirements and electricity prices increased 100% over the past 3 months nah).

I'll stick with my trusty 1080Ti until things settle, if it dies in the meantime I'll get a burner gpu and pickup a PS5.
I'm with you, some of the practises I've seen with artificially creating new products to kill the previous (and much cheaper) line or literal insults like the 6500/3050 have left a sour taste in my mouth as far as GPUs go. The pandemic taught nvdia and amd that people are willing to pay 3 times the prices for the same product and they're not forgetting it anytime soon.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
Not anymore no, I meant in the past. Not since this crypto society ushered in lol.

Wouldn't dream of selling my 3060 before getting an upgrade first. Plus my ryzen doesn't have igpu even if it was a good idea, which it's not anymore.
It's probably smart to have a backup system or card.

In the long run it's better you got it for $200 then than MSRP a year later.

It's a great GPU anyway, I'm sure Nvidia will slowly lose the advantage they have with DLSS once FSR2 gets released. It's only weaker in RT but that's not a big deal anyway.
Sorry for the thread bump, but an update. So while in general I still overpaid for my card, the end price was much more reasonable and only a couple of hundred from what should be MSRP.

At this very moment, the card is now $200 cheaper than when I bought it. I called Best Buy and asked them if they could do a price adjustment*; being that my card was outside the return period by only a couple of days, the lady talked to her manager, and she still credited me with the $200 price adjustment differential. Success!

(*I didn't know that Best Buy even had a "price adjustment" policy until a buddy IRL told me; so if you buy a product from them and they lower the price of that item within the return period, you can get it price adjusted and they credit the difference back to the card you used to purchase the item with. Easy to do if your item is still within the return period; but if you're like me and you're "out of bounds" by even a couple of days, then your mileage may vary.)

Top Bottom