• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GPU sales have biggest decline since 2009

Braag

Yeah no shit, as someone who has always upgraded to a xx80 card since the great GT 8800, I actually skipped this years 4080 cause the price is just dumb. I'm either getting a second hand 3080TI or 7900XTX depending on which I get the cheapest.
Everything is super expensive right now so I'm definitely not gonna splurge 2 grand on a freaking GPU.

DragonNCM

Their ahools opened wide when they sold millions of GPU's to miners & now when fairytale is over they think they can sell GPU's with scalper price.
FUCKING BASTARDS!!!
I'm done upgrading my PC with latest components, my 1660TI is serving me well & my next upgrade will be with used 3060TI(from miners) for dirty cheep price.

Shifty1897

What a great idea to increase GPU prices, during a recession. Brilliant.

Dummy Feeling Dumb GIF
Came to post exactly this but OP has me covered. My gaming PC died and I realized it was cheaper to just rebuy the handful of games that I want to replay or finish on PS5 than buy a new PC.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Well, I can’t find a 4090 FE readily in stock.

What a great idea to increase GPU prices, during a recession. Brilliant.
Not only that but you need a new PSU with a dedicated power plant to run the high end now!
People stopped mining? Who was going to keep buying the gpus? Seems like more of a correction then a decline. Also people back to work, no need for new work from home set up, again seems like a correction.
Couldn't have said it better.

TransTrender

Gold Member
As others have noted in this thread, the crazy pricing in the PC gaming space since 2018 has kicked me out of the PC gaming enthusiast builds. Something I've been in since the 90s. Really started leaning in to the PS4 library around that time since my water-cooled overclocked SLI 670s weren't cutting it anymore.
Once I paid $1500 for my water-cooled RTX 3090 from the EVGA list, something that cost the same as an entire enthusiast system minus the GPU, I knew this part of the business was in trouble.

Last edited:

SHA

It's obvious, people wants new contents that matches the hardware they would spend for , they aren't stupid to spend on something in between before they see the heavy stuff.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
And there is no requirement from correctly designed cables to prevent that situation.
The cables are fine. They snap in just like other connectors and have the same kind of locking mechanism. I struggle to see how someone could fuck up connecting the thing. Also reports claimed 100k 4090s were sold and there were just a few dozen cases of cables melting. It is rare and completely blown out of proportion.
Yet, I can't find a 4090 :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Nvidia clearly fucked up. Overpriced the 4080 ( or oversupplied for that price) and undersupplied the 4090. I wouldn't doubt that a lot of 4090 seekers are begrudgingly grabbing a 4080 and playing some mental gymnastics to justify it. I can't see Nvidia not correcting the supply of 4090s ASAP so you should be able to get one soon.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Makes sense. Crypto mining collapsed and prices haven't dropped to reflect that yet.

It's not a simple matter of just dropping prices, though, these new cards were designed to service a reality that no longer existed by the time they came out. They were made to be expensive and they can't just be sold at half the price.

Brute

It's cute when people feel the need to list their GFX cards. I often wonder if these same people have had sexual intercourse yet.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Nvidia clearly fucked up. Overpriced the 4080 ( or oversupplied for that price) and undersupplied the 4090. I wouldn't doubt that a lot of 4090 seekers are begrudgingly grabbing a 4080 and playing some mental gymnastics to justify it. I can't see Nvidia not correcting the supply of 4090s ASAP so you should be able to get one soon.

According to reports, the world wide supply of 4080's was just 30000. And still they didn't sell, especially outside of the USA.

JackSparr0w

Banned
Rocking a 3080 paid off 3 times over by mining. Before that a 1080ti also paid off by the previous mining cycle. Now that mining is finished I'm kind of wondering how will I justify spending money on a GPU again :messenger_anguished:

It's cute when people feel the need to list their GFX cards. I often wonder if these same people have had sexual intercourse yet.
Posted that just after I finished boning your mum.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Electronic pieces in short: check
Inflation of everything: check
Graphics card having upgrade, but not that much: check
Games still using engines focused on past gen: check

and people are not caring about new GPUs?! Shit, I never saw it coming

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Came to post exactly this but OP has me covered. My gaming PC died and I realized it was cheaper to just rebuy the handful of games that I want to replay or finish on PS5 than buy a new PC.
And even when you get 4090, you still get stutters... of course 100000fps. But stutters

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No amount of compute power can match the incompetence of some devs.
it's mostly UE fault.
Been watching some Gungrave Gore gameplay... oh jeez. I've not seen stutter this bad on a game yet. Even Sackboy pre patch.
I wonder why can't shaders be precompiled for many different graphics cards? like for 3060,70,80 and so on ?

winjer

Gold Member
it's mostly UE fault.
Been watching some Gungrave Gore gameplay... oh jeez. I've not seen stutter this bad on a game yet. Even Sackboy pre patch.
I wonder why can't shaders be precompiled for many different graphics cards? like for 3060,70,80 and so on ?

On consoles, games run targeting the firmware the shaders were made for. So they can be compiled by the devs and shipped with the game.

On PC it's almost impossible to do so, because of different drivers and different GPUs.
So they have to be compiled for each PC. Good devs will gather PSOs, and have a shader compilation when the game loads.
Bad devs will have the game do shader compilation on the fly.
UE4 requires manual PSO gathering. UE5 has an automated system, so it's probable that these stutters from shader compilation will be gone with UE5 games.

Now, on Linux there is a project that allows gamers to share compiled shaders.
Basically it's a database with compiled shaders for each game, driver and GPU.
So if another gamer already has compiled shaders for a game, another gamer can just download it.

hlm666

According to reports, the world wide supply of 4080's was just 30000. And still they didn't sell, especially outside of the USA.
The price of the 4080 in Aus is mental and only one model sold out and that was still about 300 more than rrp +tax (2300 aud). Most of the models are 2700 aud and over and there were 4090 models at launch for 3000 aud. No one with an ounce of sanity should be buying 4080's here, they should just be getting a 4090 at that point. The 4080 is priced badly in usa, but everywhere else from what ive seen it's not bad, it's straight up lunacy.

winjer

Gold Member
The price of the 4080 in Aus is mental and only one model sold out and that was still about 300 more than rrp +tax (2300 aud). Most of the models are 2700 aud and over and there were 4090 models at launch for 3000 aud. No one with an ounce of sanity should be buying 4080's here, they should just be getting a 4090 at that point. The 4080 is priced badly in usa, but everywhere else from what ive seen it's not bad, it's straight up lunacy.

It's not just the price/performance.
The 4090 with that 24Gb of vram is a great prosumer card. So people who do work in rendering, video and photo editing, game making, etc, can justify it's investment.

Crayon

Good. Fuck that shit. There's like two cards that almost make sense on current retail price imo and that's the 6600 and 6700 line I think. That is not a very good selection. The 6800 would be good but at that tier you start to expect a little rt performance and they don't got it.

winjer

Gold Member
Oh, look. Another record.

In Jon Peddie's 2022 GPU market summary, Q3 shows the lowest desktop graphics card sales total since at least 2005. Like many other products, GPUs received a sales bump during 2020 and 2021 from remote-working customers, but the hangover looks especially hard for this market.

Intel, AMD, and Nvidia combined shipped just under 6.9 million discrete desktop graphics cards in Q3 2022, a 47 percent year-over-year drop. For comparison, the 2008 economic collapse caused a similar 46 percent decline from Q4 2007 (an all-time market high coinciding with the launch of Nvidia's legendary 8800 GT) to Q4 2008.

The 2022 plunge hit team red harder than team green. While Nvidia suffered a 40 percent year-over-year fall in discrete desktop GPU shipments, AMD fell 74 percent.

Kenpachii

no shit.

i know i'm part of the problem as a 4080 owner but it's not surprising.

i paid £440 for a 1070 in 2016. cant remember what a 1080 cost at the time.
£750 for a 2080 in 2018
£1200 for a 4080 in 2022 💀

the 3080 i think was meant to be £650 but we all know how hard those cards were to find so you were lucky if you ever got it for that price. Nvidia thought well people are paying these prices for cards so we'll hike the price. idiots like me are still buying the cards at those prices but yeah the average person (non idiots) aren't going to pay £1200 for a x80 card lol.

before i got my 4080 i was waiting to see what AMD came out with. they deserve some blame too. a 7900 XTX is £1,050 here. for an extra £150 then yeah i'm going for the 4080 lol. if it was £700-800 then that's a totally different story. I'd have gone with AMD. AMD justified Nvidia's prices. We need better competition. AMD just ain't bringing it.

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
no shit.

£750 for a 2080 in 2018

the 3080 i think was meant to be £650 but we all know how hard those cards were to find so you were lucky if you ever got it for that price. Nvidia thought well people are paying these prices for cards so we'll hike the price. idiots like me are still buying the cards at those prices but yeah the average person (non idiots) aren't going to pay £1200 for a x80 card lol.

before i got my 4080 i was waiting to see what AMD came out with. they deserve some blame too. a 7900 XTX is £1,050 here. for an extra £150 then yeah i'm going for the 4080 lol. AMD justified Nvidia's prices. We need better competition. AMD just ain't bringing it.

4080 sucker buyer..

Embarrassed Shame GIF

Smiggs

Good fuck both amd and nvidia for upping the prices to ridicilous levels. The whole 4000 series can burn for all i care.
I'm really glad more people are voting with their wallet, it's the only way these companies will stop doing this bullshit in the future. I'm still disappointed in seeing so many people buying 4090s (or trying to), but at least that card wasn't a massive increase over the previous gen, and the Titan level cards always existed in their own little price bubble, anyway.

But what Nvidia did to the 4080 (and subsequently what will affect prices down the stack), and what AMD followed up with on the 7900, there's no fucking excuse for those price hikes. If it truly cost $500 more to manufacture a 4080 vs. a 3080, that means the GPU market is not tenable going forward.

But guess what? https://www.hardwaretimes.com/nvidi...300-to-manufacture-on-tsmcs-5nm-process-node/
Fuck Nvidia.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I'm really glad more people are voting with their wallet, it's the only way these companies will stop doing this bullshit in the future. I'm still disappointed in seeing so many people buying 4090s (or trying to), but at least that card wasn't a massive increase over the previous gen, and the Titan level cards always existed in their own little price bubble, anyway.

But what Nvidia did to the 4080 (and subsequently what will affect prices down the stack), and what AMD followed up with on the 7900, there's no fucking excuse for those price hikes. If it truly cost $500 more to manufacture a 4080 vs. a 3080, that means the GPU market is not tenable going forward.

But guess what? https://www.hardwaretimes.com/nvidi...300-to-manufacture-on-tsmcs-5nm-process-node/
Fuck Nvidia.
Ngreedia strikes back! this is one of the goofiest fucking things ive seen

Smiggs

no shit.

£750 for a 2080 in 2018

before i got my 4080 i was waiting to see what AMD came out with. they deserve some blame too. a 7900 XTX is £1,050 here. for an extra £150 then yeah i'm going for the 4080 lol. if it was £700-800 then that's a totally different story. I'd have gone with AMD. AMD justified Nvidia's prices. We need better competition. AMD just ain't bringing it.
My question to you, is why didn't you try and get a 4090? The way I see it, if you can afford a $1200 card, another $400 shouldn't be out of the question for most people--and the performance uplift on the 4090 vs 4080 is SUBSTANTIAL. If I remember on 30 series, the 3090 didn't offer too much extra performance in gaming, and was a much worse value proposition for most people.

My question to you, is why didn't you try and get a 4090? The way I see it, if you can afford a $1200 card, another $400 shouldn't be out of the question for most people--and the performance uplift on the 4090 vs 4080 is SUBSTANTIAL. If I remember on 30 series, the 3090 didn't offer too much extra performance in gaming, and was a much worse value proposition for most people.
didn't want a 4090 🤷‍♂️

yeah i could've got a 4090 and yes it's the better value but it's overkill for me. i don't play at 4K and that card uses more power. a 4080 is a big step up for me so i'm happy with it. i was going to get a 3080 and i'd have been happy with the performance that would've gave me. a 4080 smokes a 3080, 3090, and a 3090 Ti.

when it comes to price.... i was going to need to pay £1-1.2K on a 3080. i held off and got a 4080 for £1.2k. so what was the difference? my 2080 was fine 2 years ago but now i started to feel it was struggling. so i thought well i either get a 4080 now or hope my 2080 lasts until 5000 cards and hope they don't cost even more.

also regardless of whatever GPU i got i was going to need a new PSU to power it. in total i paid £1.4k for the 4080 + new PSU. if i got a 4090 i'd be £1.8k down. still only £400 difference. maybe if i didn't need a new PSU i'd have thought fuck it just get a 4090.

Smiggs

So if that's the case why best gpu's cost like a small car?
Because people were buying them, especially for crypto mining. Paying double MSRP on a card that will net you potentially tens of thousands of dollars ROI (I literally pulled that number from my ass, don't @me) is a no-brainer investment. Then tons of people needed them for working from home at the height of the pandemic, and it created a perfect storm of prices.

Smiggs

didn't want a 4090 🤷‍♂️

yeah i could've got a 4090 and yes it's the better value but it's overkill for me. i don't play at 4K and that card uses more power. a 4080 is a big step up for me so i'm happy with it. i was going to get a 3080 and i'd have been happy with the performance that would've gave me. a 4080 smokes a 3080, 3090, and a 3090 Ti.

when it comes to price.... i was going to need to pay £1-1.2K on a 3080. i held off and got a 4080 for £1.2k. so what was the difference? my 2080 was fine 2 years ago but now i started to feel it was struggling. so i thought well i either get a 4080 now or hope my 2080 lasts until 5000 cards and hope they don't cost even more.

also regardless of whatever GPU i got i was going to need a new PSU to power it. in total i paid £1.4k for the 4080 + new PSU. if i got a 4090 i'd be £1.8k down. still only £400 difference. maybe if i didn't need a new PSU i'd have thought fuck it just get a 4090.
That's all fair, and to be clear, I'm not criticizing you and by no means do you need to defend your purchase to me or anyone else--I just like to know people's thought process when they make these decisions, especially given the current state of GPU prices.

Ronin_7

Banned
4090 is top tier, quality is insane.

The problem is the price, people ain't gonna pay that SHIT for sure even hardcore PC gamers are refusing the prices.

So Microsoft, SONY & Nintendo thank Nvidia because they can now sell more Consoles to PC Gamers 😂😂😂👍

Top Bottom