• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GPU sales have biggest decline since 2009

Haven’t bought a GPU since my 1070 and won’t for the foreseeable future. Prices have been stupid for 3 generations now, and no titles have really been pushing the envelope to justify the upgrade. Thanks to the mining craze Nvidia tricked the masses into paying more and more for performance increases, while in the past it has been a given that performance increases come with die shrinks and manufacturing improvements, without large jumps in price.

Wake me up when the flagship GPU is $400 to $500 again.

Gaiff

I'm really glad more people are voting with their wallet, it's the only way these companies will stop doing this bullshit in the future. I'm still disappointed in seeing so many people buying 4090s (or trying to), but at least that card wasn't a massive increase over the previous gen, and the Titan level cards always existed in their own little price bubble, anyway.

But what Nvidia did to the 4080 (and subsequently what will affect prices down the stack), and what AMD followed up with on the 7900, there's no fucking excuse for those price hikes. If it truly cost $500 more to manufacture a 4080 vs. a 3080, that means the GPU market is not tenable going forward.

But guess what? https://www.hardwaretimes.com/nvidi...300-to-manufacture-on-tsmcs-5nm-process-node/
Fuck Nvidia.
The cards are way way overpriced but the $300 to manufacture doesn't factor R&D and is a lot of guesswork.

That said, I hope the current situation is a wake-up call to NVIDIA. The 4080 is the successor of the 3080 in name only. In price, it's close to the 3080 Ti which was massively overpriced, so much so that it never even had an official MSRP. It's also more expensive than the also overpriced 2080 Ti was at launch and this was the top consumer card.

I'm glad that the 4080 isn't selling. Everywhere I go I see it in stock and the retailers keep telling me no one wants it. The 4090 sells as soon as it's available but it's a halo product so it's whatever.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm still using my 3090 and sometimes I get the itch to upgrade just for fun but honestly my current card runs all of my games just fine and I only have a 4K 60 hz monitor so a 4090 wouldn't make much of a difference for me anyway. Plus it's been months and you still can't get your hands on a 4090 easily anyway so meh.

JackSparr0w

Banned
4090 is top tier, quality is insane.

The problem is the price, people ain't gonna pay that SHIT for sure even hardcore PC gamers are refusing the prices.

So Microsoft, SONY & Nintendo thank Nvidia because they can now sell more Consoles to PC Gamers 😂😂😂👍
PC gamers are not buying garbage consoles that's absurd. They are just waiting or buying second hand,

Reactions: GHG

OverHeat

« generous god »
Even at the price of a 4090 it’s still worth it to me because of all the times I’m going in the next 2 years

RoboFu

One of the green rats
4090 is top tier, quality is insane.

The problem is the price, people ain't gonna pay that SHIT for sure even hardcore PC gamers are refusing the prices.

So Microsoft, SONY & Nintendo thank Nvidia because they can now sell more Consoles to PC Gamers 😂😂😂👍
yet it still cannot play everything with all the setting up thanks to RT. Basically we are paying much much to run RT in games the LEAST crappiest. :messenger_loudly_crying:

HoofHearted

PC gamers are not buying garbage consoles that's absurd. They are just waiting or buying second hand,
lol - no. As a gamer - The reasons why you'd buy a console are not all the same as why you'd buy/invest in a PC.

As an owner of all of them .. I'm currently less inclined to further invest in my PC(s) due to the current state of absurdity of pricing with respect to latest gen tech available ... primarily due to the fact that my current PC still works and plays very well - even though it's now 2 gens behind.

yep, thats also why I love mine. Its a love letter to the performance loving crowd. In my entire time in PC gaming (first custom build was a Voodoo 3) we've never had this much of an over kill card. The closest I feel to this was the 1080 TI or the 8800gtx, both of which were insane values and performance kings that kicked the ass of almost every game they touched, but even those didn't have the performance differential we see out of the 3090.
Your overkill card is the cost of an old used car. Must be nice having almost 2k to spend on a gpu alone. A voodoo 3 was what $200, and a 5 was $399 (I had both). Even a 8800 wasn't more than $600 for top line and a 8800gts could be had for $399. 1080 was $600 top end. It wasn't til 2000 series that Nvidia jumped the shark and amd followed with shit pricing. The miner assholes, scalpers and rich fucks supplied jensen's ego and the price just stayed. Why does anyone need a card like that for that price?

Ronin_7

Banned
Did they switch over to PS5 completely or just for the exclusives?
No, they use it for exclusives & many multiplatform games now, per example they played Callisto on PS5 and we play Apex together on PS5 too.

They've been Using PC lately more for WOW & others CS, also All of them played Elden Ring on PC.

Elden Ring on PC must have been huge 😂😂 just anecdotal of course.

Tomi

Because people were buying them, especially for crypto mining. Paying double MSRP on a card that will net you potentially tens of thousands of dollars ROI (I literally pulled that number from my ass, don't @me) is a no-brainer investment. Then tons of people needed them for working from home at the height of the pandemic, and it created a perfect storm of prices.
I understand that, but article says biggest decline in sales since 2009, and if that's the case warehouses are full of gpu's and they are not selling, they collecting dust, and it's time to lower the price by 20 or more % to boost sales right?
I don't see any drop at this moment...

Last edited:

Kerotan

They should have focussed on efficiency in both power and heat and refining what they delivered on the 3000 but at a reduced cost with a small bump in preformance...

Instead we got a new cable type that can catch fire because the power requirement is so insane and prices that make you question if they learned anything from the RTX 2000 debacle.

Happy to stick with my 3080 (which I got for RRP at launch) until they give us a gen that does just that.
Thank you PC gamers for beta testing the PS6.

hinch7

Good, hope the GPU market will crash even harder next year. With how inflation is going and people less willing spend their disposable income on electronics. They will have a harder time shifting units once 4090 demand is fulfilled. When the early adopters are done with their super high end purchases Nvidia (and AMD) will have to lower prices or it'll be a later 2022 situation again.

F Nvidia for what they tried to pull with the 4080 12GB and still are inflating prices and SKU's with the 4070ti. And AMD for keeping silly prices as they are and following Nvidia's ridiculous pricing and marketing.

Last edited:

Smiggs

I understand that, but article says biggest decline in sales since 2009, and if that's the case warehouses are full of gpu's and they are not selling, they collecting dust, and it's time to lower the price by 20 or more % to boost sales right?
I don't see any drop at this moment...
There were rumors earlier in the month that they would drop the 4080 price to be more competitive with AMD, but who the hell knows in the end. The other issue is when Nvidia gets their money--if most of the silicon they make is sold to AIBs, and the AIBs foot the bill up front, that means Nvidia sells through everything they make (other than Founders Editions) as soon as it rolls off the line. It's not Nvidia's problem that the AIB partners are stuck with tons of low margin, high dollar cards that end consumers don't want to buy, because they've already made their money. And this doesn't even address the fact most board partners can't make a card that looks and performs as well as the FE, charge 'only' MSRP, and still make a profit on. Their cards are often at least $100 more than the FE, and may not offer any real performance uplift for the extra money.

EVGA's decision looks better and better everyday to bail on the GPU market.

Skifi28

Been wanting to upgrade my 1060 for years, but still nothing worthy at a reasonable price and power consumption. The closest thing so far has been the 6600/xt, but I see little point in upgrading to a card at the same performance level as my PS5. Might as well just buy the games there and save the money.

raduque

The last GPU I purchased at retail was a GTX 960. I think it was $220ish, some time ago.

Before that, a GeForce GT460 768mb.

The GPU I had after the 960 was an RX580 and it came in the prebuilt CyberPowerPC I bought.

Haven't bought a retail GPU since, but I've bought a couple used one (R9 280x, GTX1060 3gb, RTX 2080, GTX1080).

It will be a long time till I buy another GPU retail.

There were rumors earlier in the month that they would drop the 4080 price to be more competitive with AMD, but who the hell knows in the end. The other issue is when Nvidia gets their money--if most of the silicon they make is sold to AIBs, and the AIBs foot the bill up front, that means Nvidia sells through everything they make (other than Founders Editions) as soon as it rolls off the line. It's not Nvidia's problem that the AIB partners are stuck with tons of low margin, high dollar cards that end consumers don't want to buy, because they've already made their money. And this doesn't even address the fact most board partners can't make a card that looks and performs as well as the FE, charge 'only' MSRP, and still make a profit on. Their cards are often at least $100 more than the FE, and may not offer any real performance uplift for the extra money.

EVGA's decision looks better and better everyday to bail on the GPU market.

Idiots with more money than sense went all in on GPUs and PC gaming, and now we get sky high hardware costs and pathetic digital “sales” worse than physical copies. Value is completely gone from PC gaming, and so am I until value returns. Consoles are a great deal right now.

Idiots with more money than sense went all in on GPUs and PC gaming, and now we get sky high hardware costs and pathetic digital “sales” worse than physical copies. Value is completely gone from PC gaming, and so am I until value returns. Consoles are a great deal right now.
All those kids living at home getting $1400 checks from covid and nothing to spend it on because their parents already payed their way. What do you think they spent thr money on? That coupled with miners, and asshole scalpers. The pc market will never be the same until it crashes. The problem there is the bean counters won't look as to why. They will just say "oh pc gaming is dead, time to disinvest"... So the industry dies and we are left with all in one set top boxes or cloud subscriptions, where you "own nothing and be happy with it".. Like the game pass shills say... Gross.

Haven’t bought a GPU since my 1070 and won’t for the foreseeable future. Prices have been stupid for 3 generations now, and no titles have really been pushing the envelope to justify the upgrade. Thanks to the mining craze Nvidia tricked the masses into paying more and more for performance increases, while in the past it has been a given that performance increases come with die shrinks and manufacturing improvements, without large jumps in price.

Same.
Might buy used at some point. But not buying new unless they come back to their minds

OZ9000

Banned
No matter how much their cards cost, people will continue to buy Nvidia GPUs. So blame the consumers.

I admit I have stopped caring about gaming so much lately. So I'll happily wait until next year for the next set of GPUs. Hopefully we'll see a return to something more reasonable.

Aesius

Nope but it does allow them to report the same profit. Which is all that matter to investors.
This is exactly what's happening. It's also happening in the auto industry. Ford has admitted that their new strategy is to sell fewer vehicles at higher prices.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
No matter how much their cards cost, people will continue to buy Nvidia GPUs. So blame the consumers.

I admit I have stopped caring about gaming so much lately. So I'll happily wait until next year for the next set of GPUs. Hopefully we'll see a return to something more reasonable.

Next GPUs aren’t coming til 2024. We’ll probably get 4090 /4080 ti next year.

Well 2022 brought a global conflict that has likely had an impact here.

Selling HW into Russia / Ukraine would be much harder now so likely sales have been impacted there.
Impact of global energy prices has likely pushed production costs through the roof, meaning pricing pressure won't promote them to slash prices as aggressively to push the sales out into the mid market.

Long tail effects though of global inflation, rising interest rates & thus rising costs of living will smash sales into 2023 to pieces. They think this year's figures are bad? they should be buckling up for worse next year and slashing costs to keep the state of the balance sheet from pushing their share price into a hole, off the back of poor earnings reports across the next 4 straight quarters.

I'm not sure what their production capacity looks like for '23+ but they should be refocusing on pushing lower end newer cards and ramping production to scale at the mid-end-of-top if not lower.

If they can't get out of over priced, under-supplied corner they're currently in then their outlook over the next few years will not look good by anyone's standards.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

you got great gpu for all mid and indie games.
Get ps5 for AAA and exclusives! Seemslike a pretty good combo
Honestly, when 3080fe was 700$ that was already A LOT of money for just gpu and now 4080 is double that....
The economy is going in such a strange direction, we won't be able to afford anything soon lol

Last edited:

Zathalus

Same.
Might buy used at some point. But not buying new unless they come back to their minds
The 1070 launched for $380, adjusted for inflation that is $480 right now, you can pick up a 3070 (or 6800) for $499 so the 70 series of cards have not gone up quite by that much.

4070 series would definitely be more expensive though.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
People just want to play and don't see the value in the upgrade. The 1.6 TFLPS Steam Deck can run 90% of modern games. Most games that don't run because of the OS not the GPU power.

I mean its really this. There is a small vocal minority built up by the likes of Digital Foundry who are now playing this game of " Which card has the least horrible RT experience " while most mid level cards from last gen can run most games these days at or above 60 fps.
The only reason I upgraded was because my 2080 died.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Not gonna happen, they have oversized cooling solutions.
Because, even though the efficiency is improved compared to 30xx, the cards are still too power hungry. It's going in a wrong direction... but also nobody is forcing anybody to buy that highest power rated stuff, except there is nothing else in 40xx lineup yet :p

GymWolf

People just want to play and don't see the value in the upgrade. The 1.6 TFLPS Steam Deck can run 90% of modern games. Most games that don't run because of the OS not the GPU power.
Yeah because playing with a high end gpu and a steam deck is the same exact thing:lollipop_squinting:
Because, even though the efficiency is improved compared to 30xx, the cards are still too power hungry. It's going in a wrong direction... but also nobody is forcing anybody to buy that highest power rated stuff, except there is nothing else in 40xx lineup yet :p
Mine was a joke, but ok.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah because playing with a high end gpu and a steam deck is the same exact thing:lollipop_squinting:

Mine was a joke, but ok.
which part is a joke? You just said "oversized cooling solutions".
Doesn't sound like a joke. It's true aside from maybe FE cards

GymWolf

which part is a joke? You just said "oversized cooling solutions".
Doesn't sound like a joke. It's true aside from maybe FE cards
The user wanted for the whole 4000 series to burn and i responded that they can't burn because they have a good cooling solution, but he was not talking about phisically burning.

It's like when people post a pic of a game and say unreal and i respond "it's actually decima" but they were not talking about the engine bit jist how good\unreal a game look.

If feels strange to explain simple jokes.

It's what italians calls "freddura", being stupid is the whole point.

Last edited:

ironmang

GPUs now cost more than my entire PC build did 5 years ago.

The whole benefit of a gaming PC was that you need a PC anyways for daily use so why not spend a little more to kill 2 birds? Now a little more is $1k+ with the added annoyance of having to mess with restock notifications.

GymWolf

Exact same games with the exact same content.

12 year old GTX 580..

Not sure what are you trying to prove here, but people in search for an high end gpu to do 4k60 ultra with rtx sure as hell doesn't give 2 fucks and a half about a portable console dude.

You can still buy a series 3000\6000 and playing 100x times better than any portable console if a series 4000\7000 is too pricey, hell every decent gpu from the past 5 years runs everything much better than a deck.

The next logical step when you can't find an high end gpu is going down a notch in gpu tier, not 283472849 notches down to a deck.

Why are you even comparing the 2 things when they have completely different use for completely different audience.

Last edited:

nikos

They should have focussed on efficiency in both power and heat and refining what they delivered on the 3000 but at a reduced cost with a small bump in preformance...

Instead we got a new cable type that can catch fire because the power requirement is so insane and prices that make you question if they learned anything from the RTX 2000 debacle.

Happy to stick with my 3080 (which I got for RRP at launch) until they give us a gen that does just that.

I’ve had a 3080, 3080 Ti and now have a 4090. It runs way cooler and is more efficient than either of the 30 series cards. Connectors failing was a result of morons who couldn’t connect them properly. Stop reading the garbage hyperbole on reddit.

Celcius

°Temp. member
GPU sales may have had a big quarterly drop but you still can't find 4090's in stock. Though I suspect that's due to nvidia holding back ada lovelace inventory to sell all of the ampere cards they're trying to get rid of.

The 1070 launched for $380, adjusted for inflation that is $480 right now, you can pick up a 3070 (or 6800) for $499 so the 70 series of cards have not gone up quite by that much.

4070 series would definitely be more expensive though.
Those are 2 1/2 years old cards, lol
Those should be $299 new by now at maximum.

Give me a new x70 card for $499 and I might bite.
But probably not. The 4070Ti 12GB should be $499 starting with better designs more expensive.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Those are 2 1/2 years old cards, lol
Those should be $299 new by now at maximum.

Give me a new x70 card for $499 and I might bite.
But probably not. The 4070Ti 12GB should be $499 starting with better designs more expensive.
Well the 3070 price will only drop once the 4070 is out.

Top Bottom