• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GPU sales have biggest decline since 2009

Amiga

Not sure what are you trying to prove here, but people in search for an high end gpu to do 4k60 ultra with rtx..
Point is not everybody cares about that. Massive gaming communities in Asia, East Europe and South America just want to run games on any setting.

GymWolf

Point is not everybody cares about that. Massive gaming communities in Asia, East Europe and South America just want to run games on any setting.
But in this topic we are talking about high end gpu and sure as hell the people you speak about are not the audience for these cards at all.

Like i said, if the audience for a 4090 can't find the gpu at a good price, the alternative is buying a lower tier gpu or to wait for a deal, not going from 4k60 to portable gaming.

I can't make this more clear.

It's like searching for a kobe beef restaurant and ending up eating a carrot.

Last edited:

adamosmaki

Well maybe if nvidia and amd decide to release €300-500 gpus with a considerable performance jump over 3-4 year old mid range gpus sales might pick up. Outside of few enthusiasts with money to spare nobody is gonna buy a 1000 gpu or a 400 rtx 3060 with similar performance to a 3 year old rtx 2060

GHG

Gold Member
Been there.

I had kobe and carrot in the same night once.

Dj Khaled Fabric GIF by Recording Academy / GRAMMYs

Well maybe if nvidia and amd decide to release €300-500 gpus with a considerable performance jump over 3-4 year old mid range gpus sales might pick up. Outside of few enthusiasts with money to spare nobody is gonna buy a 1000 gpu or a 400 rtx 3060 with similar performance to a 3 year old rtx 2060

Even 300 euros is slightly too much for card. I'm serious. £200-250 for upper mid-range card should be normal, £300+ for high end, but that's a fantasy now.

you got great gpu for all mid and indie games.
Get ps5 for AAA and exclusives! Seemslike a pretty good combo
Honestly, when 3080fe was 700$ that was already A LOT of money for just gpu and now 4080 is double that....
The economy is going in such a strange direction, we won't be able to afford anything soon lol

Yeah I have a PS5, less than the cost of a GPU and cheaper games on sale. It was a no brainer.

diffusionx

Gold Member
GPUs now cost more than my entire PC build did 5 years ago.

The whole benefit of a gaming PC was that you need a PC anyways for daily use so why not spend a little more to kill 2 birds? Now a little more is $1k+ with the added annoyance of having to mess with restock notifications.
Pretty much, PC gaming blew up ~10 years ago because you could spend $300 on a console that ran new games like shit or spend $600 on a PC that ran everything way better with way cheaper games and free online.

Now, it’s like, spend $500 on a console or, umm, $1500 on a PC? The value proposition isn’t there anymore and sourcing the hardware is a pain in the ass (of course it’s been that way for console too).

UnNamed

Banned
I would buy a 4090 or a 4080 for games with PC in mind like Crysis or Unreal or games from that era. But playing console games with better shadows and high resolution effects... no way.

adamosmaki

Even 300 euros is slightly too much for card. I'm serious. £200-250 for upper mid-range card should be normal, £300+ for high end, but that's a fantasy now.
The days of £250 gtx 1060 and rx 580s are long gone and 350-500 seem to be the mid range norm nowdays. At least lets hope there is a considerable performance upgrade and not another 5-10% jump

sendit

I was looking at upgrading to a 3090 from a 1080Ti, however the new cards seem so weak. A 3090 gets around 30-40FPS on a Plague Tale Requiem at 4k resolution and can´t even do 60FPS on Cyberpunk. A $1000 card should be doing 60FPS on every modern game and upcoming games with complete ease.
Generalizing much?

Rambotito

What a great idea to increase GPU prices, during a recession. Brilliant.
It's not a recession! It's just two consecutive quarters of negative growth!
Anyways, no tears being shed here after what happened to the consumers for over two years. Those absurd prices permanently soured me to PC desktop gaming. I learned to love my Switch and my laptop and say to Hell with PC gaming. Now the investors can't get rich off of crypto farms and scalpers. Their stock dividends might not pay out a million dollars per share this year. Leather jacket guy can cry out loud in his CGI-rendered Demon Kitchen.

TrebleShot

No one is sat here surprised at this.

The GPU prices right now are absolutely disgusting, not only that so are the physical look and size of the 4090.

These things require you to have ridiculously large chassis and cases to run optimally and look like several bricks attached together.

I am really disappointed with NVIDIA especially and AMD to some extent, these companies are supposed to be at the forefront of graphical processing but all they seem to be able to muster is moar power to the point where power draw from your house and heating to your systems are borderline dangerous and also inefficient.

This isn’t how electronics and tech should advance, there’s nothing clever about it just taking on more power.

I’d rather see one of these companies really experiment with the power they have already and look at smaller footprints, more effiency etc.

I’m far more impressed by a game running at high fps with amazing physics and visuals on a last gen GPU than a 2k brick barely running CP2077 native at high Fps.

I hope no devs out there are building their games based on ridiculous cards like the 4090 it will keep the industry stagnating with shite like CP77 and a plague tale requiem horribly optimised and with very little past frames and shiny reflections to show for it.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I think we are goin go to look back at the 1080ti time as the golden age for PC building for quite some time.
Well remember, back during Pascal we had the first Great GPU Shortage (and crazy secondhand prices) and then during covid was the second shortage

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Not surprised.

I want to build my own PC in 2023, but I can't justify the cost of the GPU.

In the UK, the 4090 is around £2000 (currently the Asus 4090 is reduced from it's original price of £2,249). The AMD 7900 XTX is better priced, but we're still looking at a four figure sum for a GPU.

TrebleShot

The worst part is that this will impact prices of consoles too
I hope not. If there is a PS5 pro I’d hope it’s around the 550-600 mark and highly optimised perhaps a hardware upscaled from
Sony of some kind or AMD FSR 3 with frame generation.

Not surprised.

I want to build my own PC in 2023, but I can't justify the cost of the GPU.

In the UK, the 4090 is around £2000 (currently the Asus 4090 is reduced from it's original price of £2,249). The AMD 7900 XTX is better priced, but we're still looking at a four figure sum for a GPU.
You can get a 4090 for £1700 - still crazy pricing but you can get them cheaper than £2k.

Portugeezer

A 3080 is already way above console features and Ray tracing capabilities, I don't see the point in rushing out for a new GPU. You're good for the whole generation, especially at 1440p.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
A 3080 is already way above console features and Ray tracing capabilities, I don't see the point in rushing out for a new GPU. You're good for the whole generation, especially at 1440p.
yeah. It is about 2x of effective ps5 power. You can run the same settings games at 2x fps or 1.5x

tusharngf

Pretty much, PC gaming blew up ~10 years ago because you could spend $300 on a console that ran new games like shit or spend $600 on a PC that ran everything way better with way cheaper games and free online.

Now, it’s like, spend $500 on a console or, umm, $1500 on a PC? The value proposition isn’t there anymore and sourcing the hardware is a pain in the ass (of course it’s been that way for console too).
I played most games on xbox 360 back then but after 2013 I switched to pc and ps4. But steam library kept getting bigger and nothing beats steam sales. I purchased two rigs after that just to play my steam backlog. If you can pay for hardware nothing beats steam store on pc. I got around 180 games on steam in just 9yrs. Steam brings more value to pc folks than console.

Fuz

Banned
Sales aren't that important, how about revenue?

Do they earn more selling less at a higher price?

ACESHIGH

Banned
Release a 150 200 USD that's 2 or 3 times better than an RX 580 and I am sure sales will pick up.

These greedy bastards thought mining craze margins were the new normal.

Besides do we really NEED new GPUs? Next gen barely started. PC has a shit ton of old non buggy cheap games that run amazing on old HW. Why would I bother with new releases that take 6 months or more to be properly patched.

I think it's a SOFTWARE issue as much as a HW one. We need compelling games to drive people to upgrade.

Every time someone post that gif it makes me rage, that shit is from the worst "stand up" ever.

Anyway I highly doubt it, since GPU is today for far more things than before.

Seems like that they are saying that, it has the biggest drop since 2009, not on decline from 2009. Am I wrong?
Is that the guy that makes fun of people that believe in science....

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

I always got "enthousiast's graphics cards" for my PC, because then I got to play PC games in 1080p 60fps vs playing them on consoles in 720 30fps. Later I was able to jump from 1080p 30fps to 1440 60fps or 4K 30fps. Those were huge jumps in image quality. You could make a generational leap in image quality by going the PC route for a very reasonable price.

Now paying $1000-1500 for the graphics card alone makes it possible to play PS5 games in a slightly higher resolution with slightly more realistic shadows or reflections. Or you can now play your old games at 180fps instead of 120fps. Most gamers wouldn't even see any difference between a PS5 and a PC game unless it was pointed out by Digital Foundry in a direct comparison in 200% magnified stills, none gamers would be convinced games running on PS5/XSX and a PC are exactly the same and would say you're mad for spending $1000+ for these negligibly small visual improvements.

Top Bottom