• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GPU shipments Q3 2021 and why they wont ever reach pre covid prices again.

It's making a lot of money for very few people but...
huge electricity usage
huge gpu prices
low gpu availability
it feels like a scam

Yup. That's exactly what it is. It's a legalized gambling/pyramid scheme.

Yet here it is, sucking tremendous resources and supply just to get a few wealthy. And people are delusional thinking the next 10 years will resemble the last ten so naive people rush in, and here we are. Eventually there won't be anymore greater fools and the game will be up. I just hope it's sooner rather than later because having to wait to get a GPU or console is ridiculous when many of the chips in supply today are wasted on gambling and stupidity.

Topher

Gold Member
Yup. That's exactly what it is. It's a legalized gambling/pyramid scheme.

Yet here it is, sucking tremendous resources and supply just to get a few wealthy. And people are delusional thinking the next 10 years will resemble the last ten so naive people rush in, and here we are. Eventually there won't be anymore greater fools and the game will be up. I just hope it's sooner rather than later because having to wait to get a GPU or console is ridiculous when many of the chips in supply today are wasted on gambling and stupidity.

Yeah, the electricity being wasted on bitcoin mining is simply outrageous.

Last edited:

Grechy34

Well then I'll keep using my 1070 for as long as humanly possible.

I think many gamers will hold onto their GPUs for far longer than before. PC devs will have to take that into account and make games that aren't too demanding in graphics... Which will in turn reduce the demand for new GPUs, and so on.

Nvidia might be banking hard right now, but if the price keep being out of the normal people means, they'll end up with no video games taking advantage of their new cards (I can already see this happening).

Looking at Battlefield 2042, graphically the game is pretty average but try and run it well on a 1070 where you don't have to sacrifice a lot of the settings to get it playing decently. Devs are not trying to help anyone it seems.

Other players should and will get into the profitable GPU market. More supply and prices should go down eventually.
More players doesn't mean shit, when the total fab capacity won't be changing for at least 4-5 years as TSMC, Samsung and others spin up new foundries.
Its not that simple.

You'll just end up with the same total number of products, spread across a wider number of vendors.

ShadowLag

They could fix the problem, they're just owned and operated by shit heads who realize they've found a cash flow scheme that makes them way more for less effort.

Everything has a solution, we didn't get this far in modern civilization by sitting around like weak little shits going "WELP I GUESS THIS IS THE WAY IT IS NOW HAHAHAHA TIME TO BEND OVER"

Last edited:

Elog

This will really hold back PC-gaming and be an boost for closed gaming systems, i.e. consoles. As long as crypto mining is a thing, crypto mining will set the marginal price and not gamers.

Top Bottom