• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GR: PS5 and Xbox Series are Neck and Neck for 2022 (Up: Nintendo lolz - post #273+)

Who will be crowned UK King of 2022?

• Nintendo

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • Microsoft

Votes: 17 14.5%
  • Sony

Votes: 60 51.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr Hyde

2023 is going to be a very interesting year for these two companies. A lot of promising exclusives are about to drop, we have the closing of the Acti-Blizz deal, availability of consoles is much more prominent. They are going to duke it out bare fisted with blood in their mouth. And competition spurs innovation so in the end, we as consumers win.

John Wick

Series S being lower specs and cheaper than Series X isn’t delusional.

Its not the same as a disc and digital version of PS5. PS5’s have the same specs. Series S is not the same specs are Series X and is £200 cheaper.

Not the same at all, hence the lower specs and almost 50% cheaper
He knows they are two separate consoles but is deliberately shilling for Xbox. Both PS5 Sku's are the same console.

ANIMAL1975

Nice spin to announce that PS5 was best seller in November.

You too Eddie.

So xbox still sold alot, with 2022 state?

Do consumers care about 1st party game outputs, or do they just upgrade for gamepass, and 3rd party games?

1st party games are rarely the big selling point people on forums think they are, the vast majority of people on Xbox/Playstation are playing GTA/COD/FIFA/Madden etc.
If they play the same 3rd party games something has to weight in the time of buying no?
Of course first party matters in that choice.

? They have 2. Same as Xbox.
The second one is rarer to find in this case. Could be an advantage being cheaper, but uses the same stock problematic architecture so is just a missed opportunity.

I dunno. Currently we have lots of stock here in NZ where we had fuckall for like half the year.
Suddenly PS5's are available everywhere now.
Tell them to send it to Portugal mate.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Again has the PS5 been readily available throughout 2022? The only one creating a false narrative is you. Did you mention Series S has been readily available throughout the whole year? Heavily discounted too. During BlackFriday both Series consoles were discounted?
Love the way you try play neutral but always get called out for your bias takes.

Yes, the ps5 has been readily available through out 2022 in the UK. I don't think I've ever seen it fully sold out of every retailer.

Sure there have deffo been retailers without stock but usually someone has had them at any time, be it shopto, argos, currys, game, very, John Lewis and the list goes on.

If you wanted a ps5 you could get one.

Also, the series S has been available and it ok it got heavily discounted at black Friday....not all year.

saying that, I can't work out where you Sony guys want to stand on this console. Is it a flop that sits collecting dust or is it a cleverly designed console that flies off the shelf as much as the ps5? Can you enlighten me please?

Also, I'm about as neutral as you I guess?

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm in Denmark and most of my UK based friends still hasn't managed to get a PS5. Same goes for my Norwegian and Swedish friends.

Yeah I bet the Nordics and Europe has been pretty rough. I'm not sure how stock is there but it's readily available in the UK. Which is what this sales thread is discussing.

I'm sure all these types of threads give conflicting information half the time. Like we got people posting major sales numbers for nintendo Switch but now xbox is neck and neck with the PS5 for #1.

reksveks

I'm sure all these types of threads give conflicting information half the time. Like we got people posting major sales numbers for nintendo Switch but now xbox is neck and neck with the PS5 for #1.
Different time periods and sometimes different markets.

I do have an issue with Eddie's thread title cause I actually think Switch maybe be closer to the PS5 for the YTD total than Xbox.

I dunno. Currently we have lots of stock here in NZ where we had fuckall for like half the year.

Suddenly PS5's are available everywhere now.
Same here. Just got back from.JB HiFi (Major electrical retailer in Australia) and they had shelf full of PS5 but no XSX at all. It's harder to get a XSX than a PS5 for a number of weeks.
This could be down to PS5 dumping tons of consoles in the market for Xmas or that XSX is in more demand, who knows.

There is a segment of gamers who have put their own personal pride into one console continuing to sell more than the other.
It's like they think the only way a console can be successful is to win the sales war.
This couldn't be more from the truth.
If Sony sell 100 million PS5, and Xbox sell 85 million Xboxs, Microsoft will be just as happy as Sony.
Both console can be a success regardless of who tops the sales chart.
I personally think this gen is going to be alot more like the PS3 and 360 era than the PS4 and Xbox One era.
That's a great outcome.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i mean...ps5 stock got hit the most, and they are still starting to recovering slowly just few months ago (its still not normal in stocks)? I think we shall see the real comparison next year on wards.....

Last edited:

midnightAI

Series S was being given away with things like phone contracts for the past couple of years (it's how I got mine) so it's hardly surprising, they'll be giving them away with boxes of cereal next.
It would be interesting to see the breakdown of Series X vs PS5 only.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Tell me how I can practically provide that information.

You can't, he is a man of derp, warriorism and sheer fucking spin

giphy.gif

John Wick

Yes, the ps5 has been readily available through out 2022 in the UK. I don't think I've ever seen it fully sold out of every retailer.

Sure there have deffo been retailers without stock but usually someone has had them at any time, be it shopto, argos, currys, game, very, John Lewis and the list goes on.

If you wanted a ps5 you could get one.

Also, the series S has been available and it ok it got heavily discounted at black Friday....not all year.

saying that, I can't work out where you Sony guys want to stand on this console. Is it a flop that sits collecting dust or is it a cleverly designed console that flies off the shelf as much as the ps5? Can you enlighten me please?

Also, I'm about as neutral as you I guess?
It's only became readily available in stock the last few months. Yeah retailers got drops here and there which is totally different to being in stock in most places. So supply has definitely affected PS5 more.

The Series S has been on discount throughout the year. A quick search on HotdealsUk will show you how often and months and months ago.
I haven't got a position on the S but I personally would never buy one over the X.
Also let's not forget your the one who was boasting how well Xbox have done without any major big releases and then made a list of games Sony has released. Yet you failed to mention Sony sells everything it's making and places like Japan weren't even getting many consoles at times. Stop with the dishonest takes.

Last edited:

John Wick

So despite God of War, Horizon FW, Gran Turismo, and whatever else - Sony only managed a 20,000 unit lead??

Neck and neck just by having Game Pass and a Picture Book game!

Just imagine what will happen when Xbox finally starts getting exclusives.
Nothing will happen. Xbox does well in the UK and US. That lead is UK only not worldwide

yurinka

So despite God of War, Horizon FW, Gran Turismo, and whatever else - Sony only managed a 20,000 unit lead??

Yes, PS5 had only a 20K unit lead this year because PS5 has been heavily supply constrained a good part of the year.

Its worldwide and UK sales lead compared to Xbox will sky rocket as they keep improving shipments independently of Xbox exclusives. Both PS5 SKUs keep seeling out fast even if recently there has been some more stock, rised its price and pretty much everywhere there were only big bundles available.

Last edited:
Hoping Xbox has a much better year in 2023 than this one. It was fine in terms of the smaller titles, gamepass offerings but i want to see more games that showcase the hardware.

I know RedFall , more Forza and Starfield will be there but fingers crossed there is something else and not just mainly what was supposed to be this years line up.

adamsapple

Hoping Xbox has a much better year in 2023 than this one. It was fine in terms of the smaller titles, gamepass offerings but i want to see more games that showcase the hardware.

I know RedFall , more Forza and Starfield will be there but fingers crossed there is something else and not just mainly what was supposed to be this years line up.

Game Pass helped carry it in a slow first party AAA year, when they're both working in tandem, it'll only get better.

Great time to be a gamer. (y)

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

I mean, it's not like The PlayStation 5 didn't have problems early in the year. They were playing catch-up.

PS5 had severe stock issues in the first 3 months of this year. The sales picked up in April and May

Stocks the second half of the year.

It has only taken over the Switch in September to become the best-selling console of 2022.

You think PS5's sales would be less without those games? Those games didn't help selling a console that's been barely available all year.

Sony has been having a lot of trouble to produce units while Series S have been available everywhere for over a year. MS is selling their console by less than half a PS5's price. And they aren't winning on their 2nd biggest market. That's hardly a win, lmao.

mejin

Starfield is already being primed as a system seller, other games like Motorsport, even Redfall to a lesser extent, will ship systems.

If/when the acti deal closes, just imagine all the Diablo, CoD bundles etc.

The success is theirs for the taking.

Not really.

This is the only thing that would hurt competition. That's why MS is so desperate to finish the deal.

MarkMe2525

Surprising for sure. IMO, nothing interesting to discuss atm. If this becomes a trend, then that would be more of a topic worth discussing.

Edit: After going through the thread a little more, I believe the more interesting topic is how this headline has hurt so many gaffers feelings.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Not really.

This is the only thing that would hurt competition. That's why MS is so desperate to finish the deal.

Yeah man it'll totally hurt the compe....

playstation5-call-of-duty-modern-warfare-ii-bundle-box-front

oh ....

Surprising for sure. IMO, nothing interesting to discuss ATM. If this becomes a trend, then that would be more of a topic worth discussing.

Edit: After going through the thread a little more, I believe the more interesting topic is how this headline has hurt so many gaffers feelings.

We all know why, but it's never not fascinating.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Absolutely blowing my mind that the year Sony has horizon, gran turismo 7 and god of war ragnarok....and launches their new playstation plus service. Microsoft are basically neck and neck with them and have literally nothing but gamepass steady releases of decent content.

Amazing achievement for all tbh, sales are really good across all three consoles. How good is that?

Next year will be the really interesting one.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Yes, PS5 had only a 20K unit lead this year because PS5 has been heavily supply constrained a good part of the year.

Its worldwide and UK sales lead compared to Xbox will sky rocket as they keep improving shipments independently of Xbox exclusives. Both PS5 SKUs keep seeling out fast even if recently there has been some more stock, rised its price and pretty much everywhere there were only big bundles available.

Series X has been supply constrained as well.
People act like this is was PS5 problem only.

clarky

Gold Member
Comes in limited quanitiy but stock sells out quick. Its out of stock right now from most major retailers (Amazon, Argos, Currys etc.), except those with bundles.

Have been able to order Series X from Amazon, Currys etc for months. Series S is always available. I guess you don't live in the UK if you talk about Best Buy/Walmart.. we don't have those.
Not true. They are both easily available these days. Amazon has had stock for months via invitation (to stop sclapers) Shopto also nearly always has stock of both, Same with curry's.

Guess your not counting the MWll or GOW bundles? Makes sense for sony to push more of these out instead of base units.

i you want a PS5 in the uk today you can have one.

Edit : This is 3 weeks before Christmas as well, safe to say the supply issues are all but over.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It all kinda depends on whether the neck-and-neck determination is based on units sold or revenue generated. Because objectively the lowest priced item should always enjoy an advantage to volume sales due to mass-market accessibility, especially during holidays where the benefits towards impulse/gift buying are the strongest.

Top Bottom