• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GR: PS5 and Xbox Series are Neck and Neck for 2022 (Up: Nintendo lolz - post #273+)

Who will be crowned UK King of 2022?

• Nintendo

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • Microsoft

Votes: 17 14.5%
  • Sony

Votes: 60 51.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pasterpl

It's clear Sony still don't have the stock to keep up with demand.

It was not in stock at multiple retailers for months, that is the actual FUD. At best some of these retailers would have stock for a few days and then nothing for 2 weeks or more, and some none at all.

All the retailers you posted have had the best stock in december, prior they where all struggling to restock. Even in november stock situation was patchy.

I was responding to the above comment spreading FUD, he stated that STILL there is no stock to keep with demand which is BS. Looking at those links I have shared from multiple big uk retailers you can see that stock is there now, but demand obviously is down as shops are having ps5 in stock for weeks now.

Last edited:
Daily chart of the 21st
Digital PS5:3rd
GoW Ragnarok sku: 14th
Series S:17th
Normal ps5 : 40th

December chart on the 21st
Series S:33rd
Normal Switch: 37th
Series X:41st
GoW Ragnarok sku: 46th
OLED Switch: 54th
Normal PS5: 82nd

2022 chart on the 21st

Series S:14th
Series X:24th
Disc PS5: 42nd
OLED Switch: 64th
That's a pretty telling placement, honestly. Sounds like Microsoft will be winning 2022. Hopefully their output of high quality games will keep those customers satiated.

today was the first time i ever saw a PS5 available for order on Amazon since it launched. it was a Ragnarok bundle for £540 but i could've had it in time for christmas.

seems things have improved. Series X has been available for months now and Series S basically available since it launched.

i won't be buying any PS5 just yet though. need a slim model before i go near it.

edit: ragnarok bundle is still available. seems like from now on it will be no issue getting hold of a PS5 if this is still available right before christmas.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It was not in stock at multiple retailers for months, that is the actual FUD. At best some of these retailers would have stock for a few days and then nothing for 2 weeks or more, and some none at all.

All the retailers you posted have had the best stock in december, prior they where all struggling to restock. Even in november stock situation was patchy.

It's been available since like summer at retail in the UK. Sure there were places out of stock just like the series x but I don't think there was ever a time that a retailer didn't have stock.

Stop spreading fud

MOTM

Banned
it’s harder to buy an iPhone 14 Pro than a PS5. Plentiful stock online anywhere since at least 6 months.

Last edited:
Crazy how Xbox has a chance in the UK and US to be the best selling consoles of the year based on how well they do in December.

Even now they have extended Xbox Series S sales to November levels, and there are buy "x" get Series S free happening now right before Christmas.

I think X, Switch and PS5 stock was mostly for November and will have less sales in December due to the volume sold last month but Series S has enough stock to make up for that. It's going to be very close, will depend on how many PS5's Sony stocked for December.

As for Switch they haven't had their usual Dec is better than Nov phase for some time now, and they had some crazy deals last month that aren't there now and was still down yoy so I'm not so sure they are in the running for game system of the year with Xbox and PS5.

Crazy how Xbox has a chance in the UK and US to be the best selling consoles of the year based on how well they do in December.

Even now they have extended Xbox Series S sales to November levels, and there are buy "x" get Series S free happening now right before Christmas.

I think X, Switch and PS5 stock was mostly for November and will have less sales in December due to the volume sold last month but Series S has enough stock to make up for that. It's going to be very close, will depend on how many PS5's Sony stocked for December.

As for Switch they haven't had their usual Dec is better than Nov phase for some time now, and they had some crazy deals last month that aren't there now and was still down yoy so I'm not so sure they are in the running for game system of the year with Xbox and PS5.

Wat, PS5 outsold Series consoles handedly the past 4 months in the US as stock returned to normal. In fact, even Switch outsold Series X/S in Nov, it was third via NPD.

With GoW:R, and even more stock saved for the holiday period, PS5 should be comfortably ahead of Xbox which is almost certainly 3rd place in units for the year bar a miracle (3 million sales or something).

Last edited:

jm89

It's been available since like summer at retail in the UK. Sure there were places out of stock just like the series x but I don't think there was ever a time that a retailer didn't have stock.

Stop spreading fud
Nope, there where times where there was no stock in the uk, especially during the summer. October-Nov was better but patchy but alot of major retailers still where out of stock for weeks, winter is alot better.

And please don't make silly comparison of ps5 shortages compare to series x. Series x has been widley available on amazon and many other retailer all year long, no shortages but only in the minds of xbox fanboys who need a poor excuse why ps5 was outselling it.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'm in Denmark and most of my UK based friends still hasn't managed to get a PS5. Same goes for my Norwegian and Swedish friends.

Tell them to go to Smyths Toys. I was there yesterday and they had plenty of PS5 consoles, as well as plenty of Xbox series S/X

The only console I couldn't see there was the Switch Lite.

reksveks

December chart on the 23rd
GoW Ragnarok sku: 29 (up 5)
Series S: 31 (up 2)
Normal Switch: 38 (NC)
Series X: 412(down 1)
OLED Switch: 53 (up 1)
Digital PS5: 65
Normal PS5: 92 (down 10) -???

2022 chart on the 23rd

Series S: 14 (nc)
Series X: 23 (nc)
Disc PS5: 42 (nc)
OLED Switch: 64 (nc)

reksveks

December chart on the 24th
GoW Ragnarok sku: 27 (up 2)
Series S: 31 (up 1)
Series X: 41(up 1)
OLED Switch: 52 (up 1)
Digital PS5: 66 (down 1)
Normal PS5: 96 (down 4) -???

2022 chart on the 24th

Fabieter

Turns out xbox is already highly competitive who would have thought. Gz to all major players. Hopefully this will still be the picture in ten years.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
December chart on the 24th
GoW Ragnarok sku: 27 (up 2)
Series S: 31 (up 1)
Series X: 41(up 1)
OLED Switch: 52 (up 1)
Digital PS5: 66 (down 1)
Normal PS5: 96 (down 4) -???

2022 chart on the 24th

This speaks VERY well for Sony, given they don't give many PS5s to Amazon.

Stop spreading fud
No there not even slightly comparable. If you wanted to reliably get a ps5 at MSRP playstation direct was the only place you had a good chance of getting one. Plenty of retailers had them in stock but were massively overpriced bundles some going as high ad £700.

Even now its hard to get the base console https://stock-checker.com/products/playstation-5.html
Only playstation direct has it.

Meanwhile the series x has been widely available at MSRP for almost the whole year at at least 15 retailers including Amazon.

Ozriel

M$FT
No there not even slightly comparable. If you wanted to reliably get a ps5 at MSRP playstation direct was the only place you had a good chance of getting one. Plenty of retailers had them in stock but were massively overpriced bundles some going as high ad £700.

Even now its hard to get the base console https://stock-checker.com/products/playstation-5.html
Only playstation direct has it.

Meanwhile the series x has been widely available at MSRP for almost the whole year at at least 15 retailers including Amazon.

Several retailers in that list have the base PS5 at MSRP, not just direct. Argos and EE, for example. Most of the rest carry the Ragnarok bundle.

At this point, it’s safe to say that anyone who wants a PS5 in the UK and has the cash for one is easily able to get one now.

No surprise that Series X has lower demand. Sony’s had a really good year for exclusives

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Nope, there where times where there was no stock in the uk, especially during the summer. October-Nov was better but patchy but alot of major retailers still where out of stock for weeks, winter is alot better.

And please don't make silly comparison of ps5 shortages compare to series x. Series x has been widley available on amazon and many other retailer all year long, no shortages but only in the minds of xbox fanboys who need a poor excuse why ps5 was outselling it.

I'll just ignore what I've seen with my own eyes then. There's been horizon bundles and god of war bundles readily available every time I've looked.

I've helped like 3 people buy them this year.

I'm not comparing to xbox I'm just saying what I have seen myself.

Several retailers in that list have the base PS5 at MSRP, not just direct. Argos and EE, for example. Most of the rest carry the Ragnarok bundle.

At this point, it’s safe to say that anyone who wants a PS5 in the UK and has the cash for one is easily able to get one now.

No surprise that Series X has lower demand. Sony’s had a really good year for exclusives
Fair enough although EE is exclusive to ee customers and argos seems to be heavily store dependent.

But point taken for a while if you've really wanted a ps5 you didn't have to search that hard to get one from about June onwards. But it wasn't readily available like the series X which would have taken one search one amazon.

Didn't realize the mods added the poll there. Interesting.

Wat, PS5 outsold Series consoles handedly the past 4 months in the US as stock returned to normal.

Ok, outsold doesn't mean outsold by wide margin. In both the US and the UK the PS5 was ahead and won many months and in the UK all 3 systems are less than 40,000 apart.

zzill3

Banned
I had thought xbox had taken it but the recent PS5 stock drop will have put it back on top I think.
Switch > PS5 > Xbox

cormack12

Gold Member
YN78U4r.jpg

1. Nintendo
2. PS5
3. Xbox Series

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Switch just keep going strong! Wonder how many they’ve manage to sell at this point. Has to be around 120M by now.

Still going with ~ 30 million PS5, ~ 16 million Xbox Series sold-through as of January 1st, 2023.

I would imagine markets like the UK are pretty close, considering it and the US have been strongholds for Xbox more or less since its inception. However it's the ROTW markets that tend to give Sony and Nintendo their install base legs. Considerably so when everything's added up, in fact.

Dunno if we will get an update on PS5 #s today, I doubt it. But if they aren't at 30 million yet they probably will be by the end of the month. It's always much harder to get Xbox numbers but we have things like a series of reports throughout 2022 (Ampere Analyst statement, MS combined XBO + Series sell-through statement, MS console install base market share statement, FY quarter projections (i.e FY 2022 Q2 being flat YoY in hardware for gaming)) to provide reference.

Alongside that, just using some common-sense logic, such as how January - June console sales tend to be slower than the second half of the year, particularly when compared against October - December period). Considering the timing of some of those reports/statements and the pertinence they would have needed to communicate (some of these were publicly placed out for regulators to read), I'm pretty confident global Xbox numbers are probably around 15.5 - 16 million.

At least at the close of 2022. I think they can do with more Series X supply this year, for sure.

Last edited:
Still going with ~ 30 million PS5, ~ 16 million Xbox Series sold-through as of January 1st, 2023.

This warrior thing is getting a bit ridiculous now.

It's bad enough you are still citing Ampere which was debunked and not even the craziest fanatics use but you seem to be very attached to that 13.8 million figure.

But in this case even a like-minded person couldn't take your numbers here seriously. The 13.8 million estimate debunked from Ampere was from June 2022.

So you're saying GLOBALLY from June 2022 until around now Jan 1st 2023, 6+months later, the Xbox Series has ONLY sold 2.2 million WORLDWIDE to reach ONLY ~16 million sold?

Really?

Yes December was always going to be Nintendo's month, like usual. With stock issues I am actually surprised PS5 managed to be neck and neck for the whole 2022 with Switch.

PS5 is going to easily overtake Switch in the coming months if stock is still good.

It's bad enough you are still citing Ampere which was debunked and not even the craziest fanatics use but you seem to be very attached to that 13.8 million figure.

Ampere was not debunked, at least not the way you think. Ampere went by sold-in (shipped) figures, and they did research concluding it was at 13.8 million by June 2022.

MS gave a post on Twitter in September showing combined XBO & Series install base of 63.7 million units. Whether that was by end of FY 2021 or FY 2022 Q1, it's hard to say. However due to pertinence of the statement (to signal to regulators their market share, to curry favor for ABK acquisition), we can assume it was the latter.

XBO is said to be at ~ 50 million LTD. A figure of 13.16 million - 13.7 million remains for Series systems from there, as of that September.

Leaving 2.3 million - 2.74 million units to be sold between September and December, globally.

But in this case even a like-minded person couldn't take your numbers here seriously. The 13.8 million estimate debunked from Ampere was from June 2022.

Debunked in what way? By whom? If you haven't noticed, I'm not JUST going by Ampere's statements. I'm actually going by some of Microsoft's own statements, obfuscating as they may try to be.

So unless you want to tell me Microsoft themselves are lying about their own numbers to regulators, I don't think you have much to claim here.

So you're saying GLOBALLY from June 2022 until around now Jan 1st 2023, 6+months later, the Xbox Series has ONLY sold 2.2 million WORLDWIDE to reach ONLY ~16 million sold?

Really?

September to December, and between 2.3 million to 2.7 million globally.

Not that crazy to believe, actually. I've given my reasons and methodology multiple times in various posts. People can choose to believe them or not, but I have no "desire" to paint numbers any lower or higher than what I honestly believe them to be.

If Sony doesn't hit 30 million, there is a problem. It was 25m at the time of the last earning call

Potentially. I think they said they were aiming for 37 million by end of FY 2022, correct? I hear the bundles are a bit easier to come by than the standalone system, so I wonder if Sony scales back on the bundles in favor of more standalone units for Q4, IF that's something they have to consider doing.

Don't know when their next earnings call is, but I know we'll for sure get a sales update in their fiscal year report.

reksveks

Potentially. I think they said they were aiming for 37 million by end of FY 2022, correct? I hear the bundles are a bit easier to come by than the standalone system, so I wonder if Sony scales back on the bundles in favor of more standalone units for Q4, IF that's something they have to consider doing.

Yeah, they need 12.3m left for the year to get to 37.3m. The bundles are alot more available from my anecdotal data, I think its an option but it's also a good way to increase margins whilst they are generally supply constrained so who knows what's going to win out.

Don't know when their next earnings call is, but I know we'll for sure get a sales update in their fiscal year report.
Feb 2nd so going to be a while but yeah, will get the FYQ3 numbers.

Debunked in what way? By whom? If you haven't noticed, I'm not JUST going by Ampere's statements. I'm actually going by some of Microsoft's own statements, obfuscating as they may try to be.

Not that crazy to believe, actually. I've given my reasons and methodology multiple times in various posts.

Your posts have been debunked my multiple users many times and when cornered you leave the thread every time. You are using one debunked estimate and trying to speculate some other numbers (by low balling) based on a vague statement by MS only specifically so you can claim (indirectly) the Xbox is selling poorly, just like your claims (with no basis) there is a "mission statement" for the Series S, and that the Series S is "underperforming compared to Microsofts goals" with no evidence for either.

You repeat the same thing over and over and over and over and over again randomly in unrelated threads.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Really?

Yes!

Yeah, they need 12.3m left for the year to get to 37.3m. The bundles are alot more available from my anecdotal data, I think its an option but it's also a good way to increase margins whilst they are generally supply constrained so who knows what's going to win out.

Oh, that is a very high target. Dunno if they can reach that, TBH. They'll need to have sold a lot through the end of 2022. At least a good 5.5 million or even 6 million globally, because sales for consoles in January - March tend to be slower than other parts of the year IIRC.

Depending on what they moved by end of 2022 (say, they reached 28 - 29 million instead of 30 million), 33 -34 million by end of FY 2022 might be more realistic.

Feb 2nd so going to be a while but yeah, will get the FYQ3 numbers.

Oh, cool.

Your posts have been debunked my multiple users many times and when cornered you leave the thread every time.

Who are these "multiple users"? You? Because you're kind of the only one I've seen consistently take up issue with what numbers I speculate. And it's not really "running" from threads; I have other things I have to do, and sometimes when I return to a thread it's moved on by many pages and the conversation's shifted to another topic.

Rather than screw up that flow pulling up a post from like 3-4 pages back I just read it, react if I want, and keep reading.

You are using one debunked estimate and trying to speculate some other numbers (by low balling) based on a vague statement by MS only specifically so you can claim (indirectly) the Xbox is selling poorly, just like your claims (with no basis) there is a "mission statement" for the Series S, and that the Series S is "underperforming compared to Microsofts goals" with no evidence for either.

You still haven't said how the Ampere estimate was debunked, nor by what source. If your "source" is VGChartz, then, well... 🤣🤣🤣

Microsoft's "vague statements" still provided enough to extrapolate information from, for those curious. I did not say Xbox is selling poorly, you misconstrued my words. In the past I've said Series S is performing less than what the intended sales effect would have been, and I stand by that, but I have never said Xbox Series as a whole is selling poorly.

Yes, an estimate of 16 million sold-through by end of 2022 has it tracking behind XBO (which reached 18 million "activated" devices in the same period), but that is still tracking ahead of 360. You should also ask yourself, if you doubt my numbers so much, why have we not seen Microsoft say that they're still tracking ahead of 360 or XBO? They don't need to lead NPD charts to do this, they can give that statement anytime. The truth is, they would not say "we're tracking ahead of 360" while leaving out the XBO because people would figure out they are tracking behind XBO. They have to either reference both or neither. And if they don't want to give those type of statements so as not to look "strong" or whatever to regulators, why stop there? Why provide regulators with ANY shipped or sold-through sales numbers, revenue figures etc. at all (unless they ask for them)?

Again, Xbox Series is doing well, particularly in markets like the U.K. We can get into the weeds as to why that may be, but them being within 60K of PS5 and Switch is still impressive regardless. However, that can be true, and it can simultaneously be true that their sold-through worldwide is likely at most 16 million at close of 2022, when you look at reputable sources, do some extrapolations, and use some logical thinking.

Personally I think you feel someone else (myself for example) would perceive Xbox Series selling "poorly" because you're too caught up comparing its sales to PS5s, but that's your mistake. There is no realistic reason to assume the mass market brand perception between both platforms has changed much if at all since the end of last generation, given what we've seen both Sony and Microsoft provide content-wise since 2020 for these systems. But that doesn't mean Series is selling "poorly". Yes I still think Series S is underperforming for what it should be doing, which is partly why they started aggressively pushing the pricing discounts especially from October to December even in markets like US & UK.

But at the end of the day, they're still tracking ahead of 360, only slightly behind XBO, and who knows in 2023 they could readjust and start tracking ahead of XBO and/or 360 (whichever one was selling better by the end of their 3rd year on the market). That's a "what it", it hasn't happened yet, but it could happen. I think you should look more forward to that instead of obsessing over my numbers for Series S & X.

You repeat the same thing over and over and over and over and over again randomly in unrelated threads.

The topics I bring it up in are tangentially related. They all deal with console sales in various global markets, meaning they feed into the overall global console sales picture.

UK was notoriously N's worst performing major market, and it managed to 'win' with a 6 year old console that has been slated in the media all year for being underpowered. Pretty good going.

Personally I think you feel someone else (myself for example) would perceive Xbox Series selling "poorly"

No you SAID this multiple times in multiple thread with no data, and also said that the S itself was also underperforming with no data, and that there was a "mission statement" with no quote, and ignored how many times Ampere was debunked based on Microsoft own statements and the sales of the Xbox One comparatively, whole having no credible data to back only 2.2 million Xbox Series consoles sold 2.2 million in over 6 months when Nov and DEC alone would get close to that same number, and now you're trying to pretend you haven't said what you've been saying on repeat in numerous thread everyone has already read.

Not to mention constantly bringing up some anti-xbox stance in unrelated threads, which you also did in the VR thread, randomly bringing up gaming subs then of course gamepass, StreetsofBeige StreetsofBeige had a point about hw radical your dislike for Xbox is. What's more is that again, you've been repeating the same stuff over and over and over the last 6 months we have had various news countering almost all your talking points and you haven't even attempted to change and adapt them.

UK was notoriously N's worst performing major market, and it managed to 'win' with a 6 year old console that has been slated in the media all year for being underpowered. Pretty good going.

Casuals don't care about the power though, that's the thing. That's mostly a home gamer issue that went hard on Switches specs, and I'm sure they will for the Switch 2 as well.

Last edited:
No you SAID this multiple times in multiple thread with no data, and also said that the S itself was also underperforming with no data, and that there was a "mission statement" with no quote, and ignored how many times Ampere was debunked based on Microsoft own statements and the sales of the Xbox One comparatively, whole having no credible data to back only 2.2 million Xbox Series consoles sold 2.2 million in over 6 months when Nov and DEC alone would get close to that same number, and now you're trying to pretend you haven't said what you've been saying on repeat in numerous thread everyone has already read.

I have said Series S is underperforming in relation to what people, even Microsoft, were likely expecting it to sell at given its mass-market MSRP at the launch of 2020, its messaging as a cheap Game Pass machine, and the expectation it would help bring in a decent-sized chunk of the casual and mainstream types who normally wait until the mid point of a console gen (when price cuts have taken effect and the library is bigger) to jump in and buy. Those are a big chunk of the people Series S was designed to appeal to. MS are also on record via Hot Chips 2020 saying a reason they made Series S was because they did not expect (for them) to effectively take the traditional price-cut path for Series X over the gen to reach a mass-market price, possibly due to their strategy or projections at the time for install base growth or decline.

So, doing aggressive price cuts and promotions for your already-cheaper system in its 2nd year on the market, in its two strongest markets, even outside of the big holiday seasons, is enough a signal that either MS or retailers (or both) were not seeing the sales for Series S they expected to have at the $299 MSRP. That's called circumstantial evidence. MS did not need to come right out and say the Series S was intended in large part for that type of audience, because its positioning as a weaker-tiered, digital-only, mass-market friendly (in relation to Series X & PS5 MSRP, since Series S was priced same as the Switch at release) signaled that for anyone willing to read between the lines.

You keep saying "Ampere was debunked", but have failed to pull up even ONE example of a credible source debunking their June report. Why are ducking this? The only person who's slightly debunked them was actually myself, and I only said that their 13.8 million was in reference to sold-in (to retailers) numbers, not sold-through, but at the time I DID think they were sold-through. However, Microsoft's own statements afterwards with tangentially-related information, led me to believe the earlier Ampere numbers were sold-in, not sold-through. You're saying MS's statements & sales for XBO debunked them, but that's what I'VE referenced in stating the Ampere figures were sold-in vs. sold-through! If anything, MS's statements painted Series with LOWER sold-through numbers than what would've been interpreted in the Ampere June report 😂!!

I didn't say MS sold 2.2 million from June to end of 2022, did you even read what was written? In fact I have never once stated or insinuated that. I said they've likely sold between 2.3 to 2.7 million from September to December 2022. That's THREE months, not six. You're the only one trying to make it sound like I said something I in fact did not say. With the sold-through as of end of 2022 I believe Series are at, they would have need to be at 14 million sold-through by June 2022, and I've already said how that was EXTREMELY unlikely.

Not to mention constantly bringing up some anti-xbox stance in unrelated threads, which you also did in the VR thread, randomly bringing up gaming subs then of course gamepass, StreetsofBeige StreetsofBeige had a point about hw radical your dislike for Xbox is. What's more is that again, you've been repeating the same stuff over and over and over the last 6 months we have had various news countering almost all your talking points and you haven't even attempted to change and adapt them.

When that "news" is coming from flakey sources like VGChartz then, no, I'm not going to change my stance. The only thing that can change my stance at this point are sold-through numbers from Microsoft themselves, which they have kind of given to us in charts the past couple of months in their messaging to regulators, and those alongside 3P reputable reports are what I've used to feel confident in arriving at the sold-through numbers I've mentioned ITT.

Again, you just don't like those numbers because of how they look compared to PS5, but as you can see in my response to R reksveks , I'm not blindly cheerleading Sony's numbers either. I just mentioned in a response to them that there's a good chance Sony could come short of their FY PS5 LTD target depending on how many PS5s they actually moved by end of 2022, because Jan - March tend to be slower months for console sales AFAIK.

But you will conveniently ignore that just to fantasize I have a hate-boner for Microsoft. The truth is, I don't have a dislike for the console. I don't have a dislike for the games. But I DO have a dislike for some of their messaging the past 6 - 8 months, especially the past 4 months in relation to trying to get approval for the ABK deal. And I've had a BIG problem with how they enable some of the worst in the Xbox community to engage in console war toxicity online, particularly those with big platforms. I hate that they have people in PR who have signal-boosted shady sales sites just to play up optics at the moment, and CEOs boasting about console sales when they said they wouldn't talk about console sales anymore years ago. I dislike that hypocrisy.

I hate how their tactics in trying to get the ABK deal approved have basically been to push half-truths which misrepresent Sony historically, absolve MS themselves of any liability in why their console brand is in the market position it is today, and how they have galvanized (borderline radicalized) some of the most hard-headed among their fanbase to play make-believe lawyers on forums and Twitter. I hate that they let pseudo-"insiders" message BS rumors about the brand and control the narrative rather than actual people in corporate doing so. I hate that for years MS have given half-measures of support to things they promised the fanbase in the past, and yet many in the fanbase don't hold them accountable for it, yet they hold Sony and even Nintendo accountable for EVERY single small thing they do deviating from something they've claimed they were going to do in the past.

I hate that we have gaming "journalists" who hand Microsoft participation trophies for barely holding things together in managing their console brand the way you'd expect a platform holder (or especially a company that wants to be THE leading platform holder) would, for an ENTIRE year. I hate that MS want to act as if subscription gaming is the future of the industry (and have brainwashed people into believing this), yet can't even provide quarterly or annual revenue & profit for Game Pass when companies like Meta can provide software revenue for VR games in their own VR storefront. I hate that MS seem to conveniently have several games "journalists" outlets who parrot the EXACT same corporate talking points that Microsoft themselves want to bring up, at pretty much the exact same time Microsoft brings them up. I hate that a company that JUST bought an entire publisher in 2021, has done barely anything with them in terms of producing software results, and is having trouble with games from studios they purchased in 2018, wants to buy an EVEN LARGER PUBLISHER in ABK for a lot of the same reason they ALREADY purchased Zenimax for!

There're probably a few other things there I forgot to mention, but you wanted to know what I really dislike about Microsoft and the Xbox brand today, so there you go. Those are my genuine feelings on all the things they have done or engage in that I disagree with on some level but as you can see, not a SINGLE one of those things is anything negative about the Xbox Series hardware from a design POV, or actual MS 1P software from a quality POV. Yes, I do think games like Halo Infinite received a lot of fake praise and are general commercial failures, but I also know even they get some things right like the gunplay physics. So you or StreetsofBeige StreetsofBeige or whoever can have whatever issue with me you want when it comes to thinking I hate Xbox.

But at least now you know the reasons why I dislike many of the things they have been doing, and virtually ALL of the problems (for me) stem from PR/messaging and leadership issues. You don't see me out here saying RedFall & Starfield are going to bomb or suck (though I do think some of the Starfield hype is artificial, that's just my opinion on the footage from the June showcase though). You don't see me out here saying Xbox is a "dead brand" and needs to stop making hardware, or that they're greedy & evil. You don't see me making fun of Xbox all the time or using anti-Xbox memes, or anything like that. So save your "anti-Xbox" labels for the right person, because I'm not the one.

I think we're pretty much done with this topic; you don't have any evidence to dispute what sources I've referenced supporting my belief of where Xbox Series sales numbers (sold-through) are at, we were already going in circles because you kept ducking the chance to pull up these other sources and people "debunking" sources I referenced, and now you've basically labeled me an Xbox hater when all I want is for the brand to actually do its damn job as a respectable platform holder in an industry I care about. I'm just not willing to cap for the BS so much of the corporate leadership push out for the sake of optics as some of the rest of you. And I feel good not being a capper for a corporation.

In any case, let's agree to disagree, and move on. I'm tired of this back-and-forth.

In any case, let's agree to disagree, and move on. I'm tired of this back-and-forth.

You do some form of this everytime, you make long posts but nothing in it addresses anything on-topic or barely, and you just double down on the lack of evidence you actually have, walk back on what you said saying you didn't say it, or double down on something you have no quotes for. I'm not going to keep pointing to previous threads were it was already shown multiple times at length Ampere was debunked, there is no "mission statement" for Series S, and you claiming almost as a fact, that the Series S was "underperforming" is also baseless until MS actually says something or releases data to give us even a little hint, but they haven't, so you're working with zero.

You are clearly not tired because you keep doing this same thing across multiple threads, you just did an anti-Xbox thing in a VR thread bringing up gaming subs for no reason, and then when questioned on it you shifted the topic to Quest 2 vs. Gamepass for no actual reason, and this subject in particular you posted almost verbatim what, last week?

I hate that we have gaming "journalists" who hand Microsoft participation trophies for barely holding things together in managing their console brand the way you'd expect a platform holder (or especially a company that wants to be THE leading platform holder) would, for an ENTIRE year. I hate that MS want to act as if subscription gaming is the future of the industry (and have brainwashed people into believing this), yet can't even provide quarterly or annual revenue & profit for Game Pass when companies like Meta can provide software revenue for VR games in their own VR storefront. I hate that MS seem to conveniently have several games "journalists" outlets who parrot the EXACT same corporate talking points that Microsoft themselves want to bring up, at pretty much the exact same time Microsoft brings them up. I hate that a company that JUST bought an entire publisher in 2021, has done barely anything with them in terms of producing software results, and is having trouble with games from studios they purchased in 2018, wants to buy an EVEN LARGER PUBLISHER in ABK for a lot of the same reason they ALREADY purchased Zenimax for!

This has little to do with the thread, but It is notable as it shows you seem to have a heavy bias against Xbox, so this is more than just about hardware like you said at the bottom of your post.

i will agree 2022 was a bad year though.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Isn't the xbox and ps5 almost neck and neck in both the US and UK. So peeps think ps5 has sold 14 million more ps5s in other countries outside of UK and US.

Japan is like 2 million right. So 12 million ps5 in other countries that are no where near the sizes of markets as America, Japan and UK.

Something doesn't add up.

How does 30 million look vs the ps4 in the same time frame?

Good to see ps5 is more or less in stock every where now.

I feel like stock will be readily available through out 2023.

Last edited:
Eddie-Griffin Eddie-Griffin That's because I keep trying to give you chances to refute with actual sourced facts, if you're going to claim the sources I cite have been debunked. But time and again, you fail to do so, therefore you are needlessly dragging on conversations in circles because I have to keep specifying my methodology and rationality into the numbers I arrive at, but you forget everything by the time of your very next post.

Even in that recent post, you keep jumping at the chance to say "Ampere was debunked multiple times", but can't name a single specific source. It's just what you want to believe. I did more showing how I "debunked" them than you have with any of these phantom sources you can't claim or link to, and my "debunking" was only in clarifying the belief their figure was for sold-in rather than sold-through.

Dragging what I said in the VR thread, when I only brought that up to express the silliness in MS's own statements for not having a VR solution on their console but are pumping money and time into a subscription model that isn't that much bigger (if it's in fact even bigger, which I doubt), as "anti-Xbox" is just dumb. That isn't "anti-Xbox", it's anti-MS's-talking-points-on-why-they-don't-invest-in-VR-for-Xbox. A clear difference. Distinguish it.

And that goes for all the stuff I listed WRT issues I take up with MS's messaging and PR over the past several months and what negatives I feel that has on the gaming community. Labeling that as "anti-Xbox" is just the cheap way for you to avoid addressing those points specifically and saying why you think I'm wrong to have them. Nothing more than that.

Isn't the xbox and ps5 almost neck and neck in both the US and UK. So peeps think ps5 has sold 14 million more ps5s in other countries outside of UK and US.

Yes. You have any reasons to believe that may not be the case? Can you back them up with sources and a methodology to substantiate it?

Japan is like 2 million right. So 12 million ps5 in other countries that are no where near the sizes of markets as America, Japan and UK.

Something doesn't add up.

Do you realize how many other markets consoles are available in?

How does 30 million look vs the ps4 in the same time frame?

Probably slightly behind, but I'm just going off an assumption there.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Switch is clearly a handheld at this point and is selling like the ds and 3ds clearly to kids. There will always be more kids.

Comparing it to consoles is a bit disingenuous. Especially since it can’t even play 99% of the games released on consoles. Just like the ds and 3ds before it.

The success of the switch should be celebrated but in proper context.

Celine

Switch is clearly a handheld at this point and is selling like the ds and 3ds clearly to kids. There will always be more kids.

The success of the switch should be celebrated but in proper context.
Switch is clearly a hybrid and should be celebrated as such.
Of the Switch total hardware sales worldwide as September 2022, only a measly 16.9% come from the handheld-only Switch (Lite) and the share are declining quarter after quarter.

Comparing it to consoles is a bit disingenuous. Especially since it can’t even play 99% of the games released on consoles. Just like the ds and 3ds before it.
The majority of game releases on TV consoles like PS5 and XBS comes from mid/small productions, most of which are shared with Switch (and PC, of course).

Last edited:
Top Bottom