• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 - Daytona International Speedway Gameplay Video | PS5, PS4

treemk

Banned
Not a very good driver guess I can't nitpick graphics

Also not great at shooters so should stop complaining about BF 2042 or COD

Damn didn't know great driving skills was a requirement to complain about pop in and stuff.

Leaves me out of a lot of games now that I think about it...

angry mark cuban GIF
I am not talking about anyone in particular, but I think everyone knows these threads are always full of console warriors.

GT6 is a PS3 game. The comparison should have been made with GT Sports.
GtSport does not feature Daytona.
I did, then stopped. Closed tracks don't do anything for me. I don't see the appeal.
So, why exactly did you feel the need to enter this thread and comment on something you onda from the start wouldn't appeal to you?

Last edited:
The PS4 version is probably more due to supply issues than anything else, but building off GT Sport was going to be the process regardless of if there would ever be a PS4 version of GT7 or not. Polyphony JUST stopped building off past games with GT Sport, they aren't going to start over again just yet. Of course they could just delay a few years and make a better looking game, not worth it and the upgrades would still be pretty marginal requiring you to zoom in on pixels.

I disagree with this strongly.

The biggest and most glaring weakness with the presentation is the visual quality of the backgrounds. Everything from the geometric complexity of the models to the textures to the lack of any apparent PBR materials, just makes everything look flat, low poly and largely unimpressive. Then there are things like atmospheric effects like rain, snow, wind, volumetric smoke and haze etc that could very much be rendered either at all or in much more convincing detail.

The PS5 gives them so much hardware clout to do it that they're likely barely utilizing the hardware at all in this game.

It does beg the question, however, as it may be that they're designing the game around PSVR2, in order to aim for 90-120fps, which would very much explain the lack of visual flair and polish in the graphical presentation.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Gran Turismo 7 vs GT6 vs GT5 - Evolution of Daytona International Speedway Early Graphics Comparison

Timestamps
Gran Turismo 5 Gameplay 00:00
Gran Turismo 6 Gameplay 02:12
Gran Turismo7 Gameplay 04:20
Gran Turismo 5 Replay 06:14
Gran Turismo 6 Replay 08:24
Gran Turismo 7 Replay 10:35
GT5 vs GT6 vs GT7 Gameplay Side-by-Side 12:30
GT5 vs GT6 vs GT7 Replay Side-by-Side 14:22

Gran Turismo 6 and Gran Turismo 5 captured on PS3.

Airbus Jr

Banned
I disagree with this strongly.

The biggest and most glaring weakness with the presentation is the visual quality of the backgrounds. Everything from the geometric complexity of the models to the textures to the lack of any apparent PBR materials, just makes everything look flat, low poly and largely unimpressive. Then there are things like atmospheric effects like rain, snow, wind, volumetric smoke and haze etc that could very much be rendered either at all or in much more convincing detail.

The PS5 gives them so much hardware clout to do it that they're likely barely utilizing the hardware at all in this game.

It does beg the question, however, as it may be that they're designing the game around PSVR2, in order to aim for 90-120fps, which would very much explain the lack of visual flair and polish in the graphical presentation.
Have to agree with this background quality need to be improved

However everything on track look solid so far

Last edited:
Im a huge fan of GT but to me this looks barely if any way better than GTS and I can say that because I played it religiously 3 years straight so I know very well how GTS looks like. Im sure the 4k crispiness will be noticed but I donno..to me its ridiculous to promote a next gen game with boring race tracks versus showing off more imaginary tracks where they can flex their tech like GT4 and 5 when they were first showing them off. The interior of the car and the effects of light inside the car...all this was in GTS already. I feel like im looking at a new track added to GTS.

Raven117

Gold Member
Not a very good driver guess I can't nitpick graphics

Also not great at shooters so should stop complaining about BF 2042 or COD

Damn didn't know great driving skills was a requirement to complain about pop in and stuff.

Leaves me out of a lot of games now that I think about it...

angry mark cuban GIF
Driving skills are a requirement.

(Now, the real critique is to say that compared assetto corso, iracing, ir even project cars 2, the driving physics are Arcady..might as well be Forza horizon…. That’s how you get it to sting)

Hunnybun

I'm surprised at so many questioning the graphical leap over Sport. I thought that was a valid complaint with earlier footage (albeit so much has been inconclusive) but not here. It's a clear step up in almost every way imo. The replay stands up really well in particular, whereas those in Sport always looked really ropey.

Inviusx

Ok I just watched this on my C9 OLED at full res.

I have to say that I don't really think there's much difference visually from GT Sport and I have over 600 hours in GT Sport, I've played that game more than anything else in the last decade.

I honestly think that side by side you would have trouble deciding which game is which. It's not really a knock against GT7, it just confirms how great GT Sport looks.

I think the main difference between GT7 and GTS will be resolution. GTS is checkerboard 1800p on PS4 Pro but it can be a bit fuzzy. I think the PS5 has the headroom to bump the picture up to native 4k and locking to 60 which is awesome.

Again, I don't count photomode or scapes as true gameplay, so the addition of Ray Tracing is entirely inconsequential in my opinion. I only care about the portions where I'm in control.

What I really want to see is 60fps replays on PS5 or even a 120hz mode at a lower resolution. I think the PS5 will be able to handle that easily.

So yeah, a negligible difference visually to GT Sport but not really an issue.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

I have to say that I don't really think there's much difference visually from GT Sport and I have over 600 hours in GT Sport, I've played that game more than anything else in the last decade.

I honestly think that side by side you would have trouble deciding which game is which. It's not really a knock against GT7, it just confirms how great GT Sport looks.

I think the main difference between GT7 and GTS will be resolution. GTS is checkerboard 1800p on PS4 Pro but it can be a bit fuzzy. I think the PS5 has the headroom to bump the picture up to native 4k and locking to 60 which is awesome.

Again, I don't count photomode or scapes as true gameplay, so the addition of Ray Tracing is entirely inconsequential in my opinion. I only care about the portions where I'm in control.

What I really want to see is 60fps replays on PS5 or even a 120hz mode at a lower resolution. I think the PS5 will be able to handle that easily.

I know, it's a weird comparison perhaps, but I think (?) It's almost the same as it is regarding Halo Infinite S vs X. It's the resolution that makes it stand apart. I also watched the vid on my 4k TV and the difference 4k imposes really stands out for me personally. GTSport looks amazing still and even if there's a slight improvement I'm happy.

SLB1904

Banned

You blind get new glasses

Markio128

The shadows in GT Sport, even in the replays, were pretty rough at times, but they look a hell of a lot better in GT7. The lighting looks fantastic, as always. The cars look amazing, as per usual. The Daytona track - I’m not sure how it could be vastly improved upon visually. It is what it is.

What I’m most looking forward to is getting stuck into the career mode and seeing how it all comes together as a package. As long as the visuals are smooth and crisp, I have no concerns in this regard.

One thing I really want to see are time trial leaderboards for individual cars, like in GT5. For some reason, you could only take part in weekly time trials in GT Sport, with specific cars, which was a disappointment to me.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Hehe. Besides trolling you whores I'm certain that the end product is a step up <3
Come on that's a given. The raw power of ps5 will make look better. Don't get wrong few games out there look better than gt sport. But as soon as you open this trailer the high polycount of the cars further in the distance is the obvious difference, besides the track textures and the details further in the distance are much higher quality and the number of people on the stands.
Anyway once we get hands on the full game we'll see

Gamerguy84

So glad they added this. I don't know a lot about game design but the lighting is impressive to me.

The sun position casting shadows from the cars to a wall 40 feet away is very cool.

Also PSVR2. I'm going to get yelled at because of how much I play this setup.

Woodchipper

If you told me this is GT Sport I'd believe you. I don't get it.
Yeah, well GT Sport is still very good looking. The lighting in particular is nothing short of amazing, when played on an OLED tv.

I get why you think it looks underwhelming, but there’s only so much you can improve when photorealism is what you’re going for, and GT Sport is already pretty damn photorealistic if you ask me.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
King of the simcades coming. I had a lot of fun with GT 4 back in the day. It's hard to go back after true sims though. Dropped GTS after 5 laps because of it.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
I think some of you guys forgot how bad the shadows and draw distance could look on GTS, those are things that you don't see on youtube video's in cockpit or replays footage but noticeable when playing outside view. GT7 has huge upgrades in shadow quality and draw distance, yes the lighting and shaders looks similar but everything else seems like a decent upgrade. We can expect higher lod, better shadows, better draw distance, better relfections and high quality motion blur. Its like GTS running on a high end pc with everything maxed out. And how can you not see the upgrades, i mean look at this (similir ligthing scene), GT7 will look soo much better in the same scene with the upgrades i wrote above.
49476158087_65dea7075e_o.png

49476158987_3f5e7d37e4_o.png

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Maybe this track looks really flat and boring in real life too, but man, that does not look great. Like, except for resolution and some minor details, I really don't think this looks much better than the PS3 GTs. It doesn't look REAL to me. I mean, I'm not expecting photorealistic environments from GT, but this just looks flat and lifeless.

(I did watch the video on my phone though.)
Steve Harvey Lol GIF by NBC

I kid lol but it's time for you to retire that flip phone my friend 😁

Woodchipper

King of the simcades coming. I had a lot of fun with GT 4 back in the day. It's hard to go back after true sims though. Dropped GTS after 5 laps because of it.
Why not enjoy both for different reasons? I'm a huge GT fan, but I've always seen it as a game to chill out with more than anything. I love progressing through the campaign, beginning with a used AE86 or similar, tune it to the max, and save up for my dream cars. This you'll never do in a true sim. On the other hand, if I feel like being competitive and fully immersed, I'll go to something like iRacing.

Edit: Well, GT Sport lacked the usual career mode to be fair, so I get why you dropped it.

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

I think some of you guys forgot how bad the shadows and draw distance could look on GTS, those are things that you don't see on youtube video's in cockpit or replays footage but noticeable when playing outside view. GT7 has huge upgrades in shadow quality and draw distance, yes the lighting and shaders looks similar but everything else seems like a decent upgrade. We can expect higher lod, better shadows, better draw distance, better relfections and high quality motion blur. Its like GTS running on a high end pc with everything maxed out. And how can you not see the upgrades, i mean look at this (similir ligthing scene), GT7 will look soo much better in the same scene with the upgrades i wrote above.

yeah gt7 looks like gt sport pc port with additional high settings

The biggest problem is that GT is not God of War or other cross-gen games that will have sequels sooner or later. We’ll probably be locked to this “2013 hardware kind of last gen look but a bit improved if you look at the small details” for the whole PS5 generation, which means that in 2027 it might start looking really bad compared to other sims.

Melfice7

The biggest problem is that GT is not God of War or other cross-gen games that will have sequels sooner or later. We’ll probably be locked to this “2013 hardware kind of last gen look but a bit improved if you look at the small details” for the whole PS5 generation, which means that in 2027 it might start looking really bad compared to other sims.

then the cycle repeats itself, GT8 will be for ps6 but cross gen with ps5

Bogroll

Likes moldy games

I haven't, the pop in on the cars and shadow pop in are one of my main issues with GTS graphics and I instantly noticed the improvement. Watching the new video put me in the mood for some GTS so a played a hour race and it seemed even more noticeable after watching the new gameplay. I do get used to the pop in after a while but never on the cars as its right in my eyeline but at least that seems a lot better.
I'm looking forward to improved weather effects and different times of days rather than the fixed times.

pretty graphics are all some people care about it seems. doesn't seem any different to GTS.

FIFA gets shit on all the time for not changing but everyone is alright getting the same old racing game with updated graphics? lol

Edder1

Usually GT games look better the closer they get to release, this one seems to have the opposite effect. Cross gen stinks and this is a prime example of that.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Why not enjoy both for different reasons? I'm a huge GT fan, but I've always seen it as a game to chill out with more than anything. I love progressing through the campaign, beginning with a used AE86 or similar, tune it to the max, and save up for my dream cars. This you'll never do in a true sim. On the other hand, if I feel like being competitive and fully immersed, I'll go to something like iRacing.

Edit: Well, GT Sport lacked the usual career mode to be fair, so I get why you dropped it.
Proper career mode can change my mind but driving physics is the most enjoyable part of this genre for me. I hope someday we will play a sim game with a GT 4 like career mode. Until then, GT7 looks like the closest thing to that. Maybe i could add FM7 to that but i couldn't play it because crashes on PC.

benzy

Besides some of the fictional tracks where it's obvious they hastily put it together with their internal procedural course maker to save time, the real circuit tracks that PD actually spends quality effort in developing easily has some of the best pbr material work and environment detail. It's also still the only sim racer with mostly 3d crowds who also walk about the track too.
GTSport already had some high quality ray-traced static baked lighting which is why the general look in GT7 doesn't look like a significant upgrade, but the move to a real-time day and night system while maintaining that level of quality in GT7 definitely is a pretty big step up.

GTSport also had static weather with 2D jpeg images for the skybox, while GT7 has a full on volumetric 3d procedural cloud/weather simulation system. They're doing quite a bit more than I was expecting for a cross-gen title that also has to run at 60fps on a base ps4. I was pretty disappointed in the cross-gen news at first but am satisfied with what they've revealed closer to release. They just need to get some outsource help in building assets for some fictional tracks for future titles/updates.

2gzwTLP.gif

With a track like Daytona I think it's reaching diminishing returns while driving. I'm not sure what more you would want out of this track until the move to full on path traced lighting.

gt7daytonacompare93unqnkmv.png

gt7daytonacompare93unc5kug.png

gt7daytonacompare6unt4dkjq.png

gt7daytonacompare6untrvjj5.png

gt7daytonacompare2unt0cjse.png

gt7daytonacompare2untrvjes.png

gt7daytonacompare3untj5ket.png

gt7daytonacompare3untyokxs.png

gt7daytonacompare9unta3jrf.png

gt7daytonacompare9untgcjcp.png

d1N27L5.gif

Last edited: