• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 is significantly more fun than Forza 7.

sendit

I need to get a steering wheel and I'm siding towards the G923 but it's kinda spensive, apparently force feedback much better than G29 level device.

Do you use one?
Yep, I have a G923. From what I read, the force feedback will only differ if the game is developed to take advantage of this. I don’t you could go wrong by going with a G29 instead.

Fox Mulder

So we are pretending there won't be a new Forza game this year? OK. I'd like to hope a game that just came out last year is better than one released almost six years ago. Zelda Tears of the Kingdom should be better than Breath of the Wild too.

Forza 7 is even so old that the licensing expired and it got delisted for purchase two yeas ago.

It just wasn’t really that fun though. GT Sport and sounded quite appealing with the driver ratings and penalties for online compared to the average Forza lobby feeling like a rape room.

Neo_game

Forza 8 needs to be a big step otherwise I think that series is in big trouble I guess that is why they are rebooting it and not calling it a Forza 8. Ironically, Horizon has taken over it. GT7 will survive because of it loyal fanbase, they are just doing enough I guess. If Forza 8 turns out to be great then we will have good competition and there will be more pressure for GT8 to deliver.

Last edited:
So we are pretending there won't be a new Forza game this year? OK. I'd like to hope a game that just came out last year is better than one released almost six years ago. Zelda Tears of the Kingdom should be better than Breath of the Wild too.
It’s weird to me how offended people are because of this thread. I can’t compare GT7 to FM8 because it’s not out yet, and everyone ITT knows that. Relax.

Umbasaborne

Banned
While gt7 is the better game, I think it's going a bit far to act like gt7 is somehow holy vs a 5 year old game that's pretty good in its own right. The disparity is there but its not the ginormous gulf that is implied.
Yep, this tgread honestly comes off as a little warsy. Like yeah, id hope gt7 is better than a 5 year old game, but that doesn't diminish the quality of the entire forza motorsport seres

Chase can can be customized so it's more like GT3.

You can't really get rid of the that 'camera strapped to the hood of the car' feeling though which is the part that bugs me. It just doesn't feel good and the car whipping from side to side without a realistic sense of what it would feel like to change direction like that is just awful. IMO, it's akin to a first person game that really, really needs better motion effects, character head bob, etc...to feel immersive and 'right' that just utterly lacks those things.

I think it is a poor comparison given the time difference and one game being optimized for next-gen.

That being said GT7 having a full VR mode probably puts it light years ahead of whatever Forza Motorsport (2023) will be able to do.

It's like comparing two racing games where one might have slightly better graphics, but the other one has an online mode...

I don't think we're expecting Forza Motorsport to have any features that seriously set it apart from GT7, correct me if I'm wrong.

Forza 7 is even so old that the licensing expired and it got delisted for purchase two yeas ago.
:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

"so old" ITS A 5 YEAR OLD GAME. The licensing expiring has nothing to do with age, you have MS to thank for that who obviously knew they gonna milk it so why keep paying for older iteration licenses. Theres 1000s of games with still on going licenses. Actually they cut off support after only 3 years, it doesn't mean the game is old, it means someone made a stupid decision. Delisting a game before the sequel is even announced was bonkers move. GT Sport is 5 years old too and you can still purchase it digitally.

Last edited:

Three

Meanwhile we have civil comparisons of Bloodborne from 2015 vs Elden Ring from 2022. 7 yrs apart.

Why are people offended about this comparison? If you think FM8 will be more fun because of some added mode or feature then state your opinions about why it might be addressed in the next iteration but don't try and shut down discussion with "but that's 5yrs old bro". The games age isn't relevant unless things have changed and you can discuss those changes.

Klosshufvud

Even GT Sport blew the everliving shit out of FM7. PD have mastered the art of racing. Their love and passion for cars shine in just about every small part of their games. The slow, cheap cars aren't just a time waste until you reach the Bugattis but instead have character and charm of their own. This also makes it meaningful to collect and drive as many different cars as possible.

Lasha

Even GT Sport blew the everliving shit out of FM7. PD have mastered the art of racing. Their love and passion for cars shine in just about every small part of their games. The slow, cheap cars aren't just a time waste until you reach the Bugattis but instead have character and charm of their own. This also makes it meaningful to collect and drive as many different cars as possible.

How is a Honda fit not an interim step? GT7 has no Honda Fit racing circuits and it's implementation feels very little like the real car taken on a track(I drive mine at Sepang). Sport daily mode is almost exclusively Gr4/Gr3 with a single tuned sports car. Championship is all race cars. I don't feel the "passion" for cheaper or more common sports cars since the game captures none of the nuance of racing on the lower end. You wouldn't need to "progress" to unlock all of the tracks if it took racing seriously at all levels.

Riky

$MSFT
How a career mode pans out is just a matter of personal choice, some will find the constant slow drip as tedious and yearn for more.
The most interesting comparison for me was graphically they didn't manage to surpass FM7 with five years work and another generation of console, didn't have the know how to produce a locked framerate either.
If they get GT8 ready for PS6 it will be interesting to see if they can match the Forza reboot coming soon.

Fredrik

I dropped out of both within 15 hours. But GT7 is most definitely the better game for car lovers. The progression is just too slow, I got bored and stopped playing it like a month after the release.

Forza Horizon on the other hand has been my most played racing IP since FH3 when it came to PC and 30fps was no more. It’s closer to arcade racing than sim racing so all I miss at this point is nitro boosts.
The new rally expansion looks so good!

Skifi28

Forza 7 was a huge disappointment in so many ways...I deeply regretted buying the ultimate edition. GT7 is disappointing in its limited single player and certain cars being time-gated, but the moment to moment gameplay is still excellent after a year.

Stooky

I don’t think they should to be compared, they have completely different identities.

Ryan Gosling Judging You GIF

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
GT7 VR beats every other racing sim by a country mile.

The only problem with that statement is does it really matter if 95% of the market doesn't want to wear a headset and only a small portion of the 5% own a psvr2?
Almost a completely moot point.

Vr as it gets better is going to be so divisive.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
A career mode that's over even before it's begun properly.

What Forza Motorsport games do right is that they give you content to spend dozens of hours (or more) in the career mode. In GT7 the cafe mode is super short and also very linear. Plus the fastest categories of cars aren't even included in it. It just ends and the additional chapters from post-launch updates didn't change that in a drastic way.

One thing Forza is missing are the license challenges, I always liked them in GT7 (and previous GT games) and I made the effort to score gold in all of them.

Last edited:
People getting mad because someone compares two racing sims released only 4 years apart, both available on 8th generation consoles?

Yeah right, at least he didn’t try to make the comparison with FM6 which was released on XBOX One as FM7, since it is also playable on the Series

Calverz

They both occupy the same genre and appeal to the same crowd. If you own only a PlayStation or Xbox and want a console sim it’s extremely likely you’re going to choose either Forza or GT depending on your console.

This isn’t a knock on Forza, it’s just pretty clear to me they fucked up the career mode for anyone that really cares about it. And it’s why Turn 10 has been repeating over and over that career mode is seeing a major revamp.
Ok but forza 7 is like 5-6 years old at this point. It was hands down the best when it launched imo.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I need to get a steering wheel and I'm siding towards the G923 but it's kinda spensive, apparently force feedback much better than G29 level device.

Do you use one?
They're the same exact wheel, with the only difference being which platform they're compatible with.

I have G29 and it's a good wheel, well worth its price.

Rac3r

I mean...GT Sport was a better pure racing game than Forza 7. It looked better and played better. FM7 just had more content.

You're not getting this level of racing in Forza. And these are just reps from different car manufacturers, not actual esports drivers.

Last edited:
The only problem with that statement is does it really matter if 95% of the market doesn't want to wear a headset and only a small portion of the 5% own a psvr2?

There is no problem with that statement. GT7 in VR is way way better than anything else available, it’s a simple fact. It doesn’t matter if only 1 person will experience it this way or half of the population. Fact remains it is miles better than anything else.

I think there’ll be a decent amount of VR players anyways, as probably almost everyone who bought a PSVR2 will play it.

Last edited:

It's a game changing feature for some people and only available on PlayStation if we are talking about consoles.

I wouldn't say it's not important but it does give you a new way to play racers.

It's a game changing feature for some people and only available on PlayStation if we are talking about consoles.

I wouldn't say it's not important but it does give you a new way to play racers.
It’s truly amazing. When you play Alsace in 2D the elevations feel like: Ah I’m probably going up or down 1 or 2 meters.

In VR you look into an actual abyss and feel like you go down like 30/40 meters or something while accelerating like crazy. It’s scary as hell. Not a single 2D racer in the world ever, now, in the past, not in the future can give you a feeling like that and actually make you feel you really are there.

Also, you can race way better because you can see the actual distance to corners and look into them etc etc etc. You have to experience it to believe it, and once you do, there is no way back to flat tv racing.

It’s truly amazing. When you play Alsace in 2D the elevations feel like: Ah I’m probably going up or down 1 or 2 meters.

In VR you look into an actual abyss and feel like you go down like 30/40 meters or something while accelerating like crazy. It’s scary as hell. Not a single 2D racer in the world ever, now, in the past, not in the future can give you a feeling like that and actually make you feel you really are there.

Also, you can race way better because you can see the actual distance to corners and look into them etc etc etc. You have to experience it to believe it, and once you do, there is no way back to flat tv racing.

Yeah it's definitely a huge selling point for some people. It's nice that GT7 has a full VR mode instead of being limited to something like the showroom.

John Wick

"New game in genre is more advanced than 5-6 year old game in the same genre" is a silly comparison. That's what is being said and nothing more. Nobody is triggered.
Except he never stated your take either. Nothing about advancement was mentioned.

Sony

Nintendo
Do you mean to tell me that a game that released in March 2022 is better than a game that released in October 2017?
GT7 has had 4,5 years to study FM7 and its shortcomings. I would sure hope GT7 would improve in certain areas over FM7.

Do you use one?
I have the G923. It’s a good wheel. The only real issue I have with it is the force feedback rattles the base. I thought mounting it to a frame would help that, but it doesn’t. It’s the wheel itself. It can be VERY loud and happens regularly. If I were you, I’d watch some videos on the matter and see if it would bother you or not.

Top Bottom