• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 is significantly more fun than Forza 7.

Lasha

Except he never stated your take either. Nothing about advancement was mentioned.

Advancement doesn't need to be expressly stated because GT7 is the second GT game released after Forza 7. GT sport was released shortly after Forza 7 and was seen as a peer/competitor. The only people who need this explained to them probably don't actually care about Forza or GT.

It's also super odd to see the doting on GT7 considering it's a step back in many ways from both GT sport in terms of possible events and GT6 in terms of career. If anything the series has seriously stagnated in terms of AI which is why basically every race is a rolling start since GT5. People also gloss over the backlash of the MTX being revealed after reviewers too. DR/SR is the only real recent innovation to the series. SR is a game changer that solves shitty online driving for the most part. Even then, GT just cribbed it from iRacing which had both SR and DR for a decade before sport.

Valkyria

Banned
Agree, FM7 was quite dull and lacked sense of progression in my opinion.
That's why I hoping that the next one copy many things from GT and also returns to it's origins in FM and FM2.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
If you don't want to wear a headset then tough rocks. No pain no gain.

Not talking about me, I don't have an issue with it. Dating myself here but it's kind of like saying the 3d0 version of road rash is wayyyy better vs the genesis version, which didn't really matter because very few people bought a 3d0. (Not saying it was bad, loved it bit sold poorly for other reasons than vr)
Or that a movie is way better with d-box (it ussually is) but comparing it for most people would be moot as they coukd care less about motion seating.

SkylineRKR

GT7 is as soulless as it comes wrt offline play. You do a series of races where you always bring a better car to beat cheating AI to satisfy a series of stock photos who aren't even voiced. There's no real progression as a driver since every race blends into the last. Throw in the grind for credits and it's pretty gross.

GT7's online is where it's at because you can play in custom lobbies or in the excellent sport mode. The fortnightly time trials, daily races, and championships are a dream. Safety rating makes for good racing regardless of skill level. Neither mode is an innovation specific to GT7. VR mode is sick. It's also a niche comparison point since serious racers aren't going to be satisfied with simcade games like GT or Forza just because it has good graphics.

I hated the single player of GT7, to me the updated GT Sport didn't even feel worse or better than GT7 when it came to SP.

In the end, the Cafe menu IS the entire single player of GT7. Ofcourse, the course challenges are still fun to do. And there are some good AI races to be found outside of the cafe progression.

THE DUCK

There is no problem with that statement. GT7 in VR is way way better than anything else available, it’s a simple fact. It doesn’t matter if only 1 person will experience it this way or half of the population. Fact remains it is miles better than anything else.

I think there’ll be a decent amount of VR players anyways, as probably almost everyone who bought a PSVR2 will play it.

My point wasn't that they couldn't say it, rather that in the big scheme of things it doesn't matter vs the market at large. Technically playing in vr with a force feedback wheel with a racing seat, clutch and shifter is even better, but that's not really relevant either because that market is again even smaller.
You could come on here then and say the vr experience with the wheel is "way better" than without.

My point wasn't that they couldn't say it, rather that in the big scheme of things it doesn't matter vs the market at large. Technically playing in vr with a force feedback wheel with a racing seat, clutch and shifter is even better, but that's not really relevant either because that market is again even smaller.
You could come on here then and say the vr experience with the wheel is "way better" than without.
I thought the thread was about amounts of fun, and nothing beats that so it is very relevant to the thread I’d say.

THE DUCK

It's a game changing feature for some people and only available on PlayStation if we are talking about consoles.

I wouldn't say it's not important but it does give you a new way to play racers.

A new and amazing way. This goes back to what I was saying though, as we move forward and vr gets better and better, there's going to be even more debate as to what "great" gaming is. It's going be a whole new console war of sorts even on one platform.

Player A: You put that stupid uncomfortable set of goggles on with the low brightness, pixel revealing grid with a haze that makes you sick? I'm playing on my 77" oled next gen with 1500nits and atmos sound system while i relax.

Player B: You play in 2d still? Are there dinosaurs in your backyard? What's your fov, 60 degrees? It's like your just watching vs I'm actually right there in the game. I mean I don't even know how you can still call yourself a gamer ......

Player C: My switch I'd fine for now, Nintendo rocks and the switch oled is cutting edge hardware. What's vr?

Fredrik

Yeh it’ll be super puke, but so so awesome to play until that moment after about 1,5 minutes 🤣
Lol yeah okay then I agree 😅👍

MS Flight Sim is amazing too in VR, until your brain tells you there should be G-force and when you can’t sense it the motion sickness comes sneaking in dundundundun
I can play for 30 minutes at least. It’s mind blowingly cool!
I’ll forever envy those who have no motion sickness issues. I think I get too immersed or something, I have zero issues flying or driving or riding roller-coaster irl, but in VR it’s a struggle.

Filben

It is a love letter alright but it doesn't convey the feel of real motorsport events (at least in singleplayer campaign except for a few championship events) as you always start from last row and are supposed to win (or finish 3rd) in like an average of 3 laps which isn't possible with equal material. So what you do is to upgrade your car to the maximum and push and shove your way to the first place without taking any caution to the AI driver. It feels more like an racing RPG where you have to upgrade you gear in order to progress/win. It's not a level field.

It's cool for casual players and/or getting to know the game, but as the main part for the singleplayer mode? It could do better.

Online mode, apart from the championship events that only occur on a few days, daily races are trash with completeley borked match making that puts you into races with players with trash safety rating. Players will crash into you on purpose (no wonder seeing how they're educated in the singleplayer campaign) and you can't even report them except for offending profile pictures and such (lol, real telling that you can report people for THAT but not for shitty behaviour on the track, where 90% of the game takes place). The developers really take their esport and sim approach seriously but lack the infrastructure and options to report and analyse misbheaviour, like they do in iRacing, is baffling. If you ask 80 EUR for the game, 10EUR for a PS5 upgrade, charge for multiplayer (PS+/essential) and advertise your game as a real driving simulator and how serious you are about esports, the LEAST I expect is a report button for on track behaviour. Better if you could upload replays in question so that people can get banned for repeated lack of sportsmanship on track.

I don't think it's better in Forza 7, though, but that's my impression from GT7. The racing and driving itself is ultra fun. And if you do compete in these championship events, there the matchmaking actually works perfectly. Did a few races the whole day and every one of these 16 drivers on all races had the same driver and safety rating and the delta after finish was within seconds. Great racing. But again, only on these fixed dates.

Lol yeah okay then I agree 😅👍

MS Flight Sim is amazing too in VR, until your brain tells you there should be G-force and when you can’t sense it the motion sickness comes sneaking in dundundundun
I can play for 30 minutes at least. It’s mind blowingly cool!
I’ll forever envy those who have no motion sickness issues. I think I get too immersed or something, I have zero issues flying or driving or riding roller-coaster irl, but in VR it’s a struggle.
Just play every day and stop before you feel the sickness. After a while it goes away altogether. I got my PSVR2 the 22nd, got carsick with GT7 in about 2 minutes and had to stop. I played every day so far though, short sessions, and yesterday evening I got to about 40 minutes without ever feeling any discomfort or sickness. Maybe I’ll make an hour today 🤣.

Also, after playing the same games in VR vs not VR there’s simply no going back anymore. To be honest, I bought GT7 day 1 when it came out. I think i played for maybe 10 hours total until the PSVR2 came. And since that moment I can’t just see myself not playing it for even a single day. Difference in experience is so massive. It can’t be described in words.

Fredrik

Just play every day and stop before you feel the sickness. After a while it goes away altogether. I got my PSVR2 the 22nd, got carsick with GT7 in about 2 minutes and had to stop. I played every day so far though, short sessions, and yesterday evening I got to about 40 minutes without ever feeling any discomfort or sickness. Maybe I’ll make an hour today 🤣.

Also, after playing the same games in VR vs not VR there’s simply no going back anymore. To be honest, I bought GT7 day 1 when it came out. I think i played for maybe 10 hours total until the PSVR2 came. And since that moment I can’t just see myself not playing it for even a single day. Difference in experience is so massive. It can’t be described in words.
Yeah I know, I’ve gone through the VR legs period on Quest, but I still struggle when there is bigger movements my brain tells me I should’ve felt. I’ve had to resort to teleportation for some games. 😕

I have some tricks for first person games though! I play seated on a swivel chair, when I turn I kinda walk on the floor and rotate the chair. Wouldn’t work for a fast shooter but I’ve played lots of Skyrim VR that way and it’s pretty awesome, I only have issues if I run over uneven ground there, if I go slow it’s fine.

A new and amazing way. This goes back to what I was saying though, as we move forward and vr gets better and better, there's going to be even more debate as to what "great" gaming is. It's going be a whole new console war of sorts even on one platform.

Player A: You put that stupid uncomfortable set of goggles on with the low brightness, pixel revealing grid with a haze that makes you sick? I'm playing on my 77" oled next gen with 1500nits and atmos sound system while i relax.

Player B: You play in 2d still? Are there dinosaurs in your backyard? What's your fov, 60 degrees? It's like your just watching vs I'm actually right there in the game. I mean I don't even know how you can still call yourself a gamer ......

Player C: My switch I'd fine for now, Nintendo rocks and the switch oled is cutting edge hardware. What's vr?

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or some weird meltdown that your having.

This is what I said though.

It's a game changing feature for some people and only available on PlayStation if we are talking about consoles.

I wouldn't say it's not important but it does give you a new way to play racers.

I'm not sure how I offended you with that but its true. PSVR2 does seem like a solid product for VR gaming and GT7 supports it. From what people are saying it works extremely well and changes the way they experience the game in a big way.

Granted it doesn't apply to everyone but the few that it does are having a good time with it. I don't think that's anything to be upset about.

Should give you an idea of what it's like. Really want to try it out myself.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or some weird meltdown that your having.

This is what I said though.

I'm not sure how I offended you with that but its true. PSVR2 does seem like a solid product for VR gaming and GT7 supports it. From what people are saying it works extremely well and changes the way they experience the game in a big way.

Granted it doesn't apply to everyone but the few that it does are having a good time with it. I don't think that's anything to be upset about.

I think your reading it wrong, im not upset at all and the tone isn't offended at all. More just an observation of what's likely to come of VR's advancement, and how the different groups will spar.

ToadMan

The overall quality of GT7 is incredible - in VR the details that are visible are way beyond.

It’s been like getting a new game playing GT7 in VR this last day or two.

I know PD gets a lot of flak and are meme-worthy for slow development turnarounds, but they’ve been a system seller for PS since the beginning. That’s a track record (bum-tish) it’s difficult for anyone to match let alone exceed.

Not sure about FM - let’s see what they bring this time round. They have invested more time in this iteration so I hope we see some gameplay advancements.

I think your reading it wrong, im not upset at all and the tone isn't offended at all. More just an observation of what's likely to come of VR's advancement, and how the different groups will spar.

OK I guess I did read you wrong. Just looked a little strange the first time that I saw it.

Three

Advancement doesn't need to be expressly stated because GT7 is the second GT game released after Forza 7. GT sport was released shortly after Forza 7 and was seen as a peer/competitor. The only people who need this explained to them probably don't actually care about Forza or GT.
If the OP was talking about graphics, physics or something like that then you would have a point but they clearly weren't so you don't. The fact that Forza 7 is older has no relevance.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

The last Gran Turismo game that I put any meaningful time into was GT3 on the PlayStation 2. It was at the time the best console sim and that was the case for a long time, but it didn’t take Forza long to produce a better product IMO and therefore Forza was the series I played from FM3 on up to FM7.

FM7 I thought was a major misstep for the series. It felt soulless and generic despite checking all the feature boxes you’d want from a marquee console sim. It was pretty, played well, and had lots of cars and tracks — but the career mode and Drivatar AI was abysmal. The career mode offered little in the way of linear progression. It’s all over the place, and after a few hours they are throwing very fast cars at you and you’re competing in higher tier races. There was no foundation building, no reason to keep going and it just wasn’t very fun.

I thought this was because I was burned out of racing sims. I took a break and got into Forza Horizon 4 and 5 which are both 10/10 amazing games, so much fun and I figured maybe my tastes changed to this more casual style of racing.

Nonsense. Two dozen hours into GT7 and I’m reminded of what a good console sim should be. A career mode that takes its time, offering you a taste of lower powered cars with different engine and drive layouts, while introducing you to a litany of tracks from across the world while also paying proper homage to automobile and racing history. A career mode that takes its time, brining you along at a right proper pace. I prefer this more curated style of career mode, and I truly home Forza 8 is aiming for that.

Forza 7 is just a racing game. Gran Turismo 7 is a love letter to the automobile.
Forza 7 came out like 6 years ago though lmao

I don’t think they should to be compared, they have completely different identities.
fetchimage

hyperbertha

The only problem with that statement is does it really matter if 95% of the market doesn't want to wear a headset and only a small portion of the 5% own a psvr2?
Almost a completely moot point.

Vr as it gets better is going to be so divisive.
vr needs to get SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper, and preferably standalone with integrated console, to be a viable option. Then it will start going mainstream.

Roberts

I haven't played GT since the PS2 days, but I installed the last three FM games on my xbox, played it for an hour and quit. Just not interested in them all. FH on the other hand...

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Career mode in both aren't that great, soon get bored after a few races in both and have to take a break from both.
I like that you have to earn your money and appreciate your car more in GT as you don't get cars thrown at you. But then it's just leveling up your car and that gets a bit boring after a while. I guess it's hard to add anything else though career that hasn't been done. Maybe they could add in a option to go down Motorsport career option like Project cars. Sort of like different paths on the career.
(In both games)

vr needs to get SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper, and preferably standalone with integrated console, to be a viable option. Then it will start going mainstream.
I don't get why everything has to be Significantly cheaper. You just have to pay a reasonable price for a high quality product and it'll be fine. Of course I'd also like to receive an extra free PSVR2 headset with a PS5 for free in my Kellogg's cornflakes package :). But realistically, that'll never happen (Would be totally awesome though).

Unknown?

How is a Honda fit not an interim step? GT7 has no Honda Fit racing circuits and it's implementation feels very little like the real car taken on a track(I drive mine at Sepang). Sport daily mode is almost exclusively Gr4/Gr3 with a single tuned sports car. Championship is all race cars. I don't feel the "passion" for cheaper or more common sports cars since the game captures none of the nuance of racing on the lower end. You wouldn't need to "progress" to unlock all of the tracks if it took racing seriously at all levels.
Have you perhaps considered that you're dead inside, therefore cannot feel?

Gamerguy84

I don't get why everything has to be Significantly cheaper. You just have to pay a reasonable price for a high quality product and it'll be fine. Of course I'd also like to receive an extra free PSVR2 headset with a PS5 for free in my Kellogg's cornflakes package :). But realistically, that'll never happen (Would be totally awesome though).
Yea cheaper would be nice but I think it's as cheap as it gets for a while. They are probably losing money on each set or breaking even. I don't even remember when psvr1 got it's price breaks.

Unknown?

How a career mode pans out is just a matter of personal choice, some will find the constant slow drip as tedious and yearn for more.
The most interesting comparison for me was graphically they didn't manage to surpass FM7 with five years work and another generation of console, didn't have the know how to produce a locked framerate either.
If they get GT8 ready for PS6 it will be interesting to see if they can match the Forza reboot coming soon.
GT Sport already looked better than FM7 according to digital foundry.

Banned
Forza hasn't been good since 4.

I am optimistic about 8 tho. in the last showcase they mentioned a campaign that focuses on upgrading your car and getting new ones etc.
that is what Forza lost over the years. it got more and more just about "here are dozens of cars, here's 4 million cash, do whatever you want"... and that's just absolutely boring and the opposite of engaging

Unknown?

GT7s career mode sucks

Nah it doesn't suck but it isn't as good as the old ones. It hands out new cars like free candy and makes it too easy to get good cars. You don't really have to put any effort into a huge car collection.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if those who are offended here were also spreading false information about GT7's in-game economy when it launched.

Last edited:

Crayon

Not talking about me, I don't have an issue with it. Dating myself here but it's kind of like saying the 3d0 version of road rash is wayyyy better vs the genesis version, which didn't really matter because very few people bought a 3d0. (Not saying it was bad, loved it bit sold poorly for other reasons than vr)
Or that a movie is way better with d-box (it ussually is) but comparing it for most people would be moot as they coukd care less about motion seating.

I'm glad you remember because if 3DO road rash fell in a forest with nobody to play it it would still be better than the genesis version.

Lyrical

Banned
Why are we not allowed to compare two games without certain soldiers coming out and stating how old one of the games is.

Markio128

I think Forza 8 has the chance to shake things up again, however, having now played GT7 in VR, I can’t really get excited about playing a racer on the flat screen, no matter how good it is.

What I want more than anything is for 3rd parties to release their own racers with a VR mode.

Top Bottom