• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 is significantly more fun than Forza 7.

Kvally

Banned
The last Gran Turismo game that I put any meaningful time into was GT3 on the PlayStation 2. It was at the time the best console sim and that was the case for a long time, but it didn’t take Forza long to produce a better product IMO and therefore Forza was the series I played from FM3 on up to FM7.

FM7 I thought was a major misstep for the series. It felt soulless and generic despite checking all the feature boxes you’d want from a marquee console sim. It was pretty, played well, and had lots of cars and tracks — but the career mode and Drivatar AI was abysmal. The career mode offered little in the way of linear progression. It’s all over the place, and after a few hours they are throwing very fast cars at you and you’re competing in higher tier races. There was no foundation building, no reason to keep going and it just wasn’t very fun.

I thought this was because I was burned out of racing sims. I took a break and got into Forza Horizon 4 and 5 which are both 10/10 amazing games, so much fun and I figured maybe my tastes changed to this more casual style of racing.

Nonsense. Two dozen hours into GT7 and I’m reminded of what a good console sim should be. A career mode that takes its time, offering you a taste of lower powered cars with different engine and drive layouts, while introducing you to a litany of tracks from across the world while also paying proper homage to automobile and racing history. A career mode that takes its time, brining you along at a right proper pace. I prefer this more curated style of career mode, and I truly home Forza 8 is aiming for that.

Forza 7 is just a racing game. Gran Turismo 7 is a love letter to the automobile.
No Way Smh GIF by MOODMAN

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Says people exaggerate a lot.
Proceeds to exaggerate a lot.
VR doesn't suddenly make everything go from 2D to 3D. It doesn't make the cars or environment any more life sized compared to non-VR. It doesn't create this incredibly realistic depth perception comparatively either. Especially in a racing game.

Most simulation racers are sterile compared to GT because..... that's the only series you're into? Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

My take is that having over 400 cars to collect just doesn't feel as good a love letter as over 700 does.
M8 I couldn't disagree any more, VR was designed for racing games, it elevates into something else all together, unless you've experienced it you can't hope to understand by simply watching YouTube, I'm not a racer fan but GT7 in VR is like going from a SNES to a PS1

M8 I couldn't disagree any more, VR was designed for racing games, it elevates into something else all together, unless you've experienced it you can't hope to understand by simply watching YouTube, I'm not a racer fan but GT7 in VR is like going from a SNES to a PS1
This. VR for racing changes the dynamic completely. Being able to sit in the car with a position correct view is a game changer.

Kvally

Banned
I played a lot of Forza 7. GT7 is for sure more fun, especially on the track where it counts.
While I don't agree with you, I do agree that GT7 is a great game. I have completed both campaigns, GT7 and FM7, including the licenses in GT7. I have found to FM to be better on the track, where it counts. I have found GT7 to visually look more realistic, cars and tracks. PD is just superior when it comes to lighting. PG is superior when it comes to physics.

Shubh_C63

GT7 has a huge owner base. VR has a tiny owner base.
I have to imagine VR-GT7 market is very tiny. VR should be a game changer comparison to FM but not when its not even accessible to 90% of the playerbase, or more. Its a small factor.

Also I like to think MS/American approach is to throw stuff at players and force player to try everything in fear if they missed out.
While Japanese approach (?) is to let players find things at its own pace and its ok if he misses something.

Wow that's racist.

Crayon

GT7 has a huge owner base. VR has a tiny owner base.
I have to imagine VR-GT7 market is very tiny. VR should be a game changer comparison to FM but not when its not even accessible to 90% of the playerbase, or more. Its a small factor.

Also I like to think MS/American approach is to throw stuff at players and force player to try everything in fear if they missed out.
While Japanese approach (?) is to let players find things at its own pace and its ok if he misses something.

Wow that's racist.

It's been out for 5 days.

And good looking out on the racism. Do you want to be cancelled now or shoul we dig this up in 5 years?

Killer8

There is a level of soul in Gran Turismo that Forza will never be able to replicate. It goes beyond just the way the game is designed or how the career mode is structured - there is an attention to detail and tasteful passion that goes into every GT game that is simply unmatched by basically any other game, let alone another racer. Forza is the Doritos and Mountain Dew to GT's Cabernet Sauvignon.

Kvally

Banned
There is a level of soul in Gran Turismo that Forza will never be able to replicate. It goes beyond just the way the game is designed or how the career mode is structured - there is an attention to detail and tasteful passion that goes into every GT game that is simply unmatched by basically any other game, let alone another racer. Forza is the Doritos and Mountain Dew to GT's Cabernet Sauvignon.
John Goodman Lol GIF by Roseanne

Hayabusa83

Banned

Look dude, I enjoy Gran Turismo 7 as much as the next dude but cmon, the game is sterile as fuck.

It's all true, this thread. Forza is a nice game, but GT has soul, something really uncommon in modern games. However, it's not a perfect game at all.

That said, I highly disagree Forza has better physics lol. FM7 especially. But it seems FM8 or the reboot will have a highly advanced physics system at launch. Let's wait for that.

In relation to the thread, GT is really a love letter for cars, not racing. You won't find cars missing parts, having odd proportions, even having the wrong material on the cockpit. That you will find on a lot of Forza car models. The last time forza had this feeling was on FM4, with Clarkson narrating some cars.

In GT they have the designers talking about how they thought the car up, museum for the manufacturers, Vision GT collaborations, different trims of the same car, having the information and specs explained as to why there's this more lightweight version of the car, with references to the car culture of the time, like japan 90's jdm scene. It's the dream game for anyone who LOVES cars, even though they probably won't love it as much as the man KAZ. So stubborn in his ways, he makes games like this one - great potential, solid base (physics, graphics) and absolutely UNIQUE decisions - that can translate to BAD. The career mode for one is severely different than older games, which IN MY OPINION were much better. GT7 is about the love for the automobile, even more than it needed to be, so it gets stale when you don't have Endurances, Group C races, difficult event with the fastest cars on the game.

I played both and they are different games. GT7, to me is better, but FM7 is alright. Now FM4, that is a better game than GT7.

Kvally

Banned
I've never played a Forza game but if the thread title is true then it must be most boring game ever created.
Well, if you are not into straight up track racers, games like GT, Forza, F1, Assetto most likely won't appeal to you. That leaves Need For Speed, Forza Horizon, DriveClub, Burnout, Wreckfest, Motorstorm for that arcade style fun.

Kvally

Banned
It's all true, this thread. Forza is a nice game, but GT has soul, something really uncommon in modern games. However, it's not a perfect game at all.

GT is more focused on car history and car future. Educating the consumer. Collecting. Perfection (or as close as they can get). Tireless hours of recreating what we have on the road today. I think that is why it's called the "Driving" simulator, and Forza is known as the "Racing" simulator. Though neither simulate track physics or sounds as good as rFactor, Assetto, iRacing and other dedicated simulation games.

That said, I highly disagree Forza has better physics lol. FM7 especially. But it seems FM8 or the reboot will have a highly advanced physics system at launch. Let's wait for that.

My experience is that the physics in FM7 are indeed better. Even insidesimracing.tv gives the nod to Forza racers for physics.

In relation to the thread, GT is really a love letter for cars, not racing. You won't find cars missing parts, having odd proportions, even having the wrong material on the cockpit. That you will find on a lot of Forza car models. The last time forza had this feeling was on FM4, with Clarkson narrating some cars.

Polyphony is second to none when it comes to car history in games and the development perfection of the car visual. Scapes is a testament to that.

I played both and they are different games. GT7, to me is better, but FM7 is alright. Now FM4, that is a better game than GT7.
I don't know if you have nostalgia glasses on, or if you are just thinking highly of FM4 (I loved it too btw) because when FM5 came out, FM5 was such a disaster compared to FM4. The only thing that I think FM4 has on FM7 is better online. The hoppers in FM7 suck ass and taint sweat. And IMO, GT7 is night and day better than FM4.

I think there is a lot of debate over damage and the related physics. FM does a much better job there. But should that be a focus? Could they take that damage physics focus and put it into the car models instead? Could they take it and give the game some "lore" like GT has by looking at the history of the automobile? GT7 hits it out of the ballpark when it comes to educating the consumer. The fact that they show you the continents where each manufacturer is from and then lets your drill down from there is nothing short of intelligent IMO.

GHG

Even insidesimracing.tv gives the nod to Forza racers for physics.

What are you even talking about?

Insidesimracing haven't been around for a very long time. Billy strange now runs his own YouTube channel, William Marsh left there eons ago and is sadly no longer with us and the other guys that used to work there aren't even still in the industry AFAIK.

How far back do you need to go to have that be your point of reference?

Kvally

Banned
What are you even talking about?

Insidesimracing haven't been around for a very long time. Billy strange now runs his own YouTube channel, William Marsh left there eons ago and is sadly no longer with us and the other guys that used to work there aren't even still in the industry AFAIK.

How far back do you need to go to have that be your point of reference?
I didn't track the last time I read an article there, sorry. Everytime I watched their youtube breakdowns, they gave the lead to Forza in the physics department. I still follow Darin Gangi (still in the industry), and he had come back via Sim-Motion after they went dormant with insidesimracing.tv. Last time I watched his stuff might have been 2021? 2020?

Last edited:

GHG

I didn't track the last time I read an article there, sorry. Everytime I watched their youtube breakdowns, they gave the lead to Forza in the physics department. I still follow Darin Gangi (still in the industry), and he had come back via Sim-Motion after they went dormant with insidesimracing.tv. Last time I watched his stuff might have been 2021? 2020?

In all honestly based on what you said you'd have to go back before then, probably the mid 2010's.

Billy Strange did the Forza 7 review for insidesimracing and he's since covered it on his own channel along with GT and quite a few other racing titles.

You can hear what he has to say on the current state of Forza Motorsport in this video:

The physics in the Forza Motorsport titles haven't leaned towards realism for a long time now and that's been the case since the success of the horizon titles meant they were attempting to chase the same audience. I don't know how you can try and argue it does physics well when it's probably the most sloppy title out there when played with a wheel.

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
In all honestly based on what you said you'd have to go back before then, probably the mid 2010's.

Billy Strange did the Forza 7 review for insidesimracing and he's since covered it on his own channel along with GT and quite a few other racing titles.

You can hear what he has to say on the current state of Forza Motorsport in this video:

I could have been. But I have them on my youtube subscribes and I watch the videos on occasion. I believe that the FM7 review by insidesimracing was done pretty close to the release date of FM7. 2016? 17? But Darin has been still active at least as of maybe 2021 in the sim racing scene. Lately though he has been more focused on life, his car collection and family.

Billy Strange has also been on the Simpit in the past as well. I have them all in my feed.

Thirty7ven

Banned

If they were music these two games would sound completely different. Some people feel bad about it that because they think it’s critique of their own personality but it’s a bit like pretending a Tom Ford suit is the same as a Kanye West Yezis 2 sweater combo. Yes they are both clothes.

Last edited:

GHG

I could have been. But I have them on my youtube subscribes and I watch the videos on occasion. I believe that the FM7 review by insidesimracing was done pretty close to the release date of FM7. 2016? 17? But Darin has been still active at least as of maybe 2021 in the sim racing scene. Lately though he has been more focused on life, his car collection and family.

Billy Strange has also been on the Simpit in the past as well. I have them all in my feed.

Like I said, Billy strange did the FM7 review and his thoughts on the physics and FFB are in this video:

In summary the FFB lacks the necessary detail and he didn't like how the cars handled.

Considering this thread is indeed about FM7, I'm not sure what you were even talking about with that first statement of yours that I quoted. It's simply not true and hasn't been for a very long time (at least, since FM6).

The fact that you even referenced Insidesimracing at all made it clear your points of reference for this kind of thing are very out of date.

Last edited:
Yeah, for physics it's been a wrap. GT7 is good physics wise, and they tweak it a lot since launch.

And Kvally it's not nostalgia for FM4. Back then it was the best and most polished game out. GT5 had good highs but FM4 was all around better with a lot of cars and great tracks, plus a great career mode. Forzavista was first launched too. FM7 is not as inspired as 4, from the UI to the soundtrack, to the tracks, I think FM4 was a more concise game. I dislike the heaviness on FM7 cars..

IMO the best of all time in both franchises is GT4.

Kvally

Banned
Yeah, for physics it's been a wrap. GT7 is good physics wise, and they tweak it a lot since launch.

And Kvally it's not nostalgia for FM4. Back then it was the best and most polished game out. GT5 had good highs but FM4 was all around better with a lot of cars and great tracks, plus a great career mode. Forzavista was first launched too. FM7 is not as inspired as 4, from the UI to the soundtrack, to the tracks, I think FM4 was a more concise game. I dislike the heaviness on FM7 cars..

Well, GT5 had double the cars. Though I know that there were a lot of repeats and ports that were a bit, shall we say unruly. I liked the GT5 career more more than FM4. Forzavista is pretty cool, but in reality, I don't think it is used very much and made zero impression on the most important part of the game for me, the immersion and sense of speed.

IMO the best of all time in both franchises is GT4.

I am in agreement there.

soulbait

GT7 is amazing. I never realized how good motion control could be in a game like this one. It’s the next best thing to owning a steering wheel. Excited to see what they’ll be able to offer with GT8 and a next gen only engine.

I am sure the new Forza will be beautiful but they’ll never be able to utilize motion control.

Someone forgets the official motion controller they came out for Forza in the 360 days: Xbox 360 Wireless Speed Wheel.

For me, motion controls like that do not feel right without the actual weight/resistance of a wheel. But good for anyone else that likes to use them.

Banned
Someone forgets the official motion controller they came out for Forza in the 360 days: Xbox 360 Wireless Speed Wheel.

For me, motion controls like that do not feel right without the actual weight/resistance of a wheel. But good for anyone else that likes to use them.

I also never liked motion control steering in any game with the exception of Excite Truck on Wii and the first, and only the first, Motorstorm

fallingdove

I didn’t like the speed wheel as much as I do the Dual Sense controller. The Dual Sense supports turn AND tilt. Meaning I can rest my arms on my legs, tilt the controller left or right and still drive with excellent precision. It’s much more accurate than trying to maneuver with the stick or dpad.

John_Ryder

Well, if you are not into straight up track racers, games like GT, Forza, F1, Assetto most likely won't appeal to you. That leaves Need For Speed, Forza Horizon, DriveClub, Burnout, Wreckfest, Motorstorm for that arcade style fun.
Actually apart from Burnout I hate arcades. GT5 is just depressingly boring.

Stealthbushido

Neo Member
I'm fortunate enough to own both a PS5 & Series X. Being a racing fan I have both GT7 and I just picked up Forza Motorsport. Since I just picked up Forza I don't feel qualified enough yet to really weigh in but I'm a big photo mode person (always looking for that perfect picture shot) that being said, I can definitely say that as of right now GT7 is far superior with details in photo mode especially zooming really far in.

Top Bottom