• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 players fight unpopular nerf by ‘grinding currency without playing the game’

TBiddy

I look forward to the thread where someone was doing this and claims they got banned for no reason.
But is it against the ToS to play the game via Remote Play and then automating the input? It's not like they've hacked the game in anyway.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
If true that is real shitty. I'm out of the loop with this but, the way it went... people buy the game with some type of economy and balance and THEN Polyphony recalibrate how you earn/spend the credits??

Yes, because people where earning money too quickly so they reduced the earnings for tracks people where grinding and increased the earnings for 2 challange races you would never do outside of the achievement run for them.

They say the game is online only so that the integrity of the online game is retained, and people can't just buy a car with credits they didn't "earn" except people can... because you can buy credits for real money... how is that "earning" them ingame and retaining integrity of the online if people can just buy credits?

So in other words the reason the game is always online is to monitor people playing singleplayer and lower credit gain when it's found so that they can make MTX credit purchases more attractive. There is no other reason that makes sense for it to be online outside of that.

HTK

Banned
I've played the game a handful of times, I've had a good time but that offline disaster and all of these other issues I've just taken a break from it until they sort their shit out.

UnNamed

Banned
There is a similar trick with Forza Horizon using the drive assistance and a tape on the controller.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

Can't race with the car you want if you don't have the credits.
But the games isn't about racing with the car you want. It's about racing in a hatchback untill you can afford something a little faster. That's how the game progresses. What's the fun in getting a super car easily?? Where is the satisfaction in that?

anthony2690

Banned
I will have you know my GT7 disc makes an excellent coaster, well worth the entry price.

keTArbG.jpg
Now I want a Tunnock's Caramel.

sn0man

Polyphony really tries hard to push players to spend real money. Such a shame because they're loved by many fans who stay loyal to GT franchise, and their answer to that loyalty is always online and pushing for microtransaction. I would feel really betrayed if I am a die hard GT fan.
I do a little.

Guilty_AI

The game's career mode gives out a plethora of bangers.
Not all of them tho.

I should mention this, but many other modern racing sims come with all of their content available to the player from the get go. And that doesn't automatically translates into bad carrer modes either.
Dirt Rally 2 has a similar carrer mode to GT in the sense that you earn credits to buy cars and slowly grows your garage and go up the ladders (and this carrer mode also requires you to be online to 'prevent cheating'), yet the game makes 100% of its content available outside of that campaign, letting players create their own custom championships and such.

sn0man

Yeah its a racing sim so I wanna sim in a good car not some shitty hatchback I don't even wanna drive irl.
The game is more Pokémon for gear heads. (I love it for that reason. No insult.) the game falls into simcade like Forza Motorsport. It’s fun and can be a challenge but things like iracing and Project Cars 1 & 2 have a more sim feel.

I think people would complain less about the grind if the game had a big fat 100 hour long campaign like GT4 (the last GT I played a lot).

sn0man

Not all of them tho.

I should mention this, but many other modern racing sims come with all of their content available to the player from the get go. And that doesn't automatically translates into bad carrer modes either.
Dirt Rally 2 has a similar carrer mode to GT in the sense that you earn credits to buy cars and slowly grows your garage and go up the ladders (and this carrer mode also requires you to be online to 'prevent cheating'), yet the game makes 100% of its content available outside of that campaign, letting players create their own custom championships and such.
Forza Motorsport 1–4 (can’t speak to later) did the same thing. I personally love this as it allows your career cars to have mods and feel like you’ve earned them while giving access to all the cars stock for other modes.

GT1, 2, and 3 also had an additional arcade mode and splitsceeen where you could pick a bunch of cars. I don’t think it was the entire roster but it was dozens of cars.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
The game is more Pokémon for gear heads. (I love it for that reason. No insult.) the game falls into simcade like Forza Motorsport. It’s fun and can be a challenge but things like iracing and Project Cars 1 & 2 have a more sim feel.
Admittedly yeah, im more into iracing and f1. This is my first GT and so far its not grabbing me yet

daffyduck

Why even buy the game if you don't enjoy playing it? Are credits the be all end all? I would have thought the racing was the best part of the game, not buying cars.
If racing is the best part of the game, then why is PD/Sony charging $70 usd for the base game, only to include mtx and always online?

BTW, cars are needed to race, and people tend to have preferences for different cars from each other, oddly enough.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I saw your description in another GT thread. Thank you!

It sounds not bad. If not for the online check for single player this game would be loved universally.
The issue people keep saying is that the MTX dousent matter because the game reward you "enough" so that its not an issue, its the always online that's the problem.

The issue is that the game is always online because the game needs to monitor credit earning since its offered as MTX and seen as potential lost revenue if people where just able to cheat it.

Think about it, credits are now essentially DLC, so the game has to be online to monitor how much "DLC" you have bought... if you could earn credits without it being monitored this would allow people to avoid the MTX system. The only reason the game is online is because of MTX, its all linked.

Without MTX Credits there would be ZERO reason to have the game online only.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Didn't old GT games have AI Drivers who would do that in game for you? Bob or something... I wonder why that is not a thing anymore...
B Spec mode
Anyway I wish I was this lucky

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Sure, yet PD wants them obtained by MTX after already paying full price for the base game.

And no, GT cannot be compared to a Flight Sim, there is *no* valid comparison.
What you talking about?
You don't even know what you own about. Do you even own the game?

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
If they do look forward to the inevitable thread where people bend themselves into a pretzel to defend Sony's stance on this, most likely using the words "concern trolling".

It's funny, I was awarded a duplicate car and had to Google how to sell it to the second hand dealer only to be told you can't sell duplicate cars in GT7 you can only discard them...

Gee I wonder why they won't let me sell a car to the second hand dealership for credits in this game with the option to buy credits for real money..... hmmmmmmmmm....
Thanks, you saved me a Google, I was wondering the exact same thing the other day. Totally stupid that you can't sell your used cars.

Roxkis_ii

If racing is the best part of the game, then why is PD/Sony charging $70 usd for the base game, only to include mtx and always online?

BTW, cars are needed to race, and people tend to have preferences for different cars from each other, oddly enough.
They included in the game because people buy them. They have explained the online part already.

Do you understand what progression means in a racing game?

I understand you don't like GT7 and that fine. But this seems like a pointless conversation.

Fox Mulder

Why even buy the game if you don't enjoy playing it? Are credits the be all end all? I would have thought the racing was the best part of the game, not buying cars.

The game is fun but full of f2p FOMO tactics and shitty payouts and they’re shocked people are grinding instead of buying credits as they designed. They hid this stuff from reviews too so they knew it would impact scores.

All they really had to do was launch with way more content. The Cafe campaign feels like a tutorial and there’s nothing after to even use higher level cars. There’s no career mode where you progress from a low car to higher stuff. There’s none of the kind of cups that were added into GT Sport. But like all GaaS, they launch and promise content is coming later.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

They included in the game because people buy them. They have explained the online part already.

I understand you don't like GT7 and that fine. But this seems like a pointless conversation.

There is no campaign climbing from a low car to a faster one. There isn’t a wall of events or cups to do. They just made the payout and rewards like the daily workout shittier to extend a grind for mostly the same lineup of cars that were in GT Sport.

thegame983

The game was fun for the 2-3 days it took me to finish the cafe.

It must be what, 20% the length of the campaign in GT3/4? i know I never finished those

Now all there is to do is grind meaningless races for credits to buy cars to do more meaningless races. Which I've no intention of doing.

It's a shame because on the track the game is great (except the rolling starts which suck the joy from a race)

Last edited:

Aenima

The game was fun for the 2-3 days it took me to finish the cafe.

It must be what, 20% the length of the campaign in GT3/4? i know I never finished those

Now all there is to do is grind meaningless races for credits to buy cars to do more meaningless races. Which I've no intention of doing.

It's a shame because on the track the game is great (except the rolling starts which suck the joy from a race)
GT Cafe is like a campaing introduction to what u can do in the game. If you finished GT Cafe you know you unlocked alot more races you never did during the cafe. Including races with grid starts, tire and fuel management, etc. Then thers alot more content to be done like the licences, the missions, the Track Experience. I have 60 hours of gameplay in GT7 and im far from finishing all the single player content. And have no grinded any races for credits yet, as completing all this content keeps giving credits.

Not to mention the online, tunning, photo mode, that all can be done for countless hours.

Thaedolus

Imagine not having the taste to enjoy driving some hoopty ass 75HP car class…

…seriously that shit is hilarious. Career mode and the adoration it pours on all the different types of cars and their history is what this game is about. People bitching and moaning about the grind…this is the game! Play it instead of watching your stats

StormCell

How this franchise has fallen. I remember selling my 360 to get a PS3 for MLB The Show and Gran Turismo. At the time, I remembered thinking that Forza Motorsport was pretty damn good. To see these franchises now, Sony has let GT slip while Forza (Motorsport and Horizon) are both kickass.

Basically, I don't even bother to try Gran Turismo anymore. I would or will when it ends up on Playstation's version of GamePass, but none of this makes me want to play. I don't buy games to continue pouring money into them. I don't even like all the in-game advertisements for DLC in Forza Horizon, but at least that shit looks ridiculously fun and additive to the experience and not just paywalls to what you already bought...

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If they do look forward to the inevitable thread where people bend themselves into a pretzel to defend Sony's stance on this, most likely using the words "concern trolling".

It's funny, I was awarded a duplicate car and had to Google how to sell it to the second hand dealer only to be told you can't sell duplicate cars in GT7 you can only discard them...

Gee I wonder why they won't let me sell a car to the second hand dealership for credits in this game with the option to buy credits for real money..... hmmmmmmmmm....
If true that is real shitty. I'm out of the loop with this but, the way it went... people buy the game with some type of economy and balance and THEN Polyphony recalibrate how you earn/spend the credits??
That's true. You cant sell back cars.

Given the grindy game it is and no reselling back, how many reviewers even brought this up?

As for someone making a script to autoplay matches, all any game has to do is make it so if finish bad or last place you get zero credits. I doubt the script embeds good AI to make the car drive great. The AI script car probably finishes last place. Just award zero.

Its kind of like seeing guys in COD stand in a corner all match doing nothing for 3 matches in a row. The gamer just left his game on collecting XP not giving a shit about KD or shooting %. But if you lose and go 0-20 you probably still get 1000+ XP. Leave that on all night and you'll gain levels.

Some gamers dont give a shit about stats and just want to level up and unlock gear.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
That's a quite clever way of solving the problem.
Too bad Sony and Polyphony Digital decided to create this problem.

Last edited:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
People really fiending for those credits huh? I've been 100% focused on Elden Ring but I look forward to eventually diving into GT7, I suspect it will spark lots of nostalgia and be a grand old time, credit grind be damned.

nfoGIg7.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom