• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 PSVR2 Hands-On Impressions

sncvsrtoip

https://blog.playstation.com/2023/0...urismo-7s-free-ps-vr2-update-out-february-22/

https://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-7-in-psvr2-new-footage-and-hands-on-first-impressions/

Kaz Famitsu interview:
In fact, support for PSVR 2 was something we had in mind when we started developing Gran Turismo 7. In other words, it was originally produced on the premise of corresponding to VR. Therefore, Gran Turismo 7 was created as VR native in advance. Think of this as almost synonymous with running the game at 4K 60. In order to move the image with that image quality and speed, you have to make the data fairly light. The resolution of the original PS VR machine was low, so even if it was properly rendered, we couldn't solve the problems of motion sickness caused by the resolution and the unnaturalness of distant objects being unclear. This time, the resolution of the head-mounted display panel and the power of the PS5 have improved the drawing ability, and it has become possible to solve it. In addition to being able to output 60fps at normal times, panning and tilting can also be rendered at 120 FPS with reprojection, greatly improving image quality. First of all, I think that racing games are highly compatible with VR. The car moves according to your operation while you are sitting. The movement of the car is mainly in the front-rear direction, and the movement in the left-right direction is restricted. For example, you can't move from a stationary state to the side. You can basically think of it as moving forward. When you turn the steering wheel, the car slowly turns. It does so of its own volition. In addition, we have expressed beautiful scenery and real circuits around the world through the successive works of Gran Turismo, but no matter how elaborate it is, there is always a limit to what can be expressed through a TV monitor. I was Now, with PSVR 2, you can now experience the real scenery by driving the Nürburgring, Tsukuba Circuit, and various other courses. I myself believe that we have achieved the best VR experience that can be obtained in the current situation. Each Gran Turismo series, we have poured most of the available rendering resources into the expression of the car. Even in the current PS5 generation, it is made with much over-spec details. I intend to make it more suitable for future hardware than the PS5. Actually, I was talking to the person in charge of hardware from the stage of deciding the specifications of PSVR 2. In general, I feel that it meets all the specifications currently required. I think a new era has begun for Yamauchi racing games. It can be said that it is a great progress that the driving experience and the driving experience itself can now be the same as the real thing.

Last edited:

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

We played an hour of Gran Turismo 7 on PSVR2 and were amazed by how it elevates an already great game. We tell you about it in this conversation video between IGN's Max Scoville and Ryan McCaffrey.

By James Stavrinides, SIE

While Gran Turismo Sport offered a tantalizing taste of the GT experience using the original PlayStation VR, letting users don the headset for a limited slice of the game, Gran Turismo 7 supports PS VR2 with no such compromises. The cars, tracks, races, and license tests are all here (with the exception of split-screen support), and playing the game again with the new headset and DualSense controller is nothing short of revelatory—even as someone who logged more than 200 hours on the track throughout 2022.

Here are four reasons to be excited about buckling up for GT7 in PlayStation VR2.

Big surprise—it looks amazing​

Gran Turismo 7 is a stunner, but I assumed the conversion to PS VR 2 might entail some obvious (but understandable) compromises. That said, I’m pleased to report that my concerns were unfounded, as the game looks marvelous in its VR conversion. Image quality and clarity are dramatically improved over those of GT Sport, and I never felt myself weighing the pros and cons of the visuals compared to simply playing on a “flat” TV display. In short, the game looks great and really highlights the virtues of PS VR2.

Ogle your all-time favorite cars in the VR Showroom​

Players can now look around any of the 450+ cars in the game using the VR Showroom, which is accessible from your Garage. This feels like the natural culmination of Polyphony’s incredible efforts in bringing each car to life; the plastics, wood paneling, leather, vinyl, and plastics are now viewable at your leisure. Getting up close and personal with various stereo systems, dashboards, and dials is (weirdly) one of the things I’m most looking forward to once I have a PS VR2 at home. The novelty of peering around the back seats of each car can’t be understated.

Head tracking is a game changer​

While it may sound unremarkable on paper, being able to freely look around during a race—with your view untethered from the front of your car—provides tangible benefits, both in terms of performance and presence within the virtual world. For example, while driving into a sharp corner, it’s possible to look beyond the immediate turn to the rest of the track and plan your next move. This is one of those intuitive “real life” driving behaviors that feels somewhat uncanny to experience in a game.

A newfound sense of scale and speed​

Another upshot of the “I’m actually driving a Mazda 787B” feeling is a newfound sense of…claustrophobia and danger (in a good way!). Motorsport can be quite dangerous, and those of us with no personal experience can get a better sense of that in VR: the increased tangibility of a race car’s purpose-built, rough-and-ready interior, along with real limitations on visibility (narrower windshields, roll-bars, etc.), dramatically heightens the sense of speed and intensity of a race.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, PS VR2 offers a new perspective on the track environments themselves. For example, the mountain range at Dragon Tail feels genuinely huge and imposing, and the desert at Willow Springs somehow feels, well, more desert-like—the vast emptiness of this Southern California expanse is perceptibly vast and empty. It’s a sensation I’ve never had in a game before and it made tearing around the arid landscape feel liberating.

edit
and here's a great hands on by GT Planet

Last edited by a moderator:
Excited Lets Go GIF by NOW WE'RE TALKING TV SERIES

gothmog

Gold Member
So excited. It sounds like the experience is great. I also agree with the whole it sounds kinda mundane to say here's GT7 in VR but then when you experience it you actually get blown away by it. I really hope Sony is planning on doing more of this style of full VR versions of previously flat games.

Darius87

why i can't preorder psvr2 on amazon or other sites? it's only ps direct which doesn't ship to my country.

mrmustard

Banned
every thing and at 120 frames

every mode, every car, every track, full ai, full online, full dynamic weather, etc
new VR exclusive showroom mode

only 1 thing it can't do is local split screen cuz duh
Thanks, that's great. I asked, because the earlier wording was unclear and my latest info also said so "That said, it’s still not clear if the single-player campaign or online Sport mode will be playable in VR or if VR races will be held in a standalone mode. racinggames wasn't sure either". (https://racinggames.gg/gran-turismo/polyphony-reveals-new-gran-turismo-7-psvr-2-details/)

//DEVIL//

I thought this was a rushed job. the graphics from the off screen trailer looked like shit.

I stand corrected. this is pushing me to buy a PSVR2. like.. badly.

I just want to know if I can play it on PC as well. spending that much just to play it on PlayStation is hard pill to swallow. but damn this game is so pushing me to lol.

kyliethicc

By James Stavrinides, SIE

While Gran Turismo Sport offered a tantalizing taste of the GT experience using the original PlayStation VR, letting users don the headset for a limited slice of the game, Gran Turismo 7 supports PS VR2 with no such compromises. The cars, tracks, races, and license tests are all here (with the exception of split-screen support), and playing the game again with the new headset and DualSense controller is nothing short of revelatory—even as someone who logged more than 200 hours on the track throughout 2022.

Here are four reasons to be excited about buckling up for GT7 in PlayStation VR2.

Big surprise—it looks amazing​

Gran Turismo 7 is a stunner, but I assumed the conversion to PS VR 2 might entail some obvious (but understandable) compromises. That said, I’m pleased to report that my concerns were unfounded, as the game looks marvelous in its VR conversion. Image quality and clarity are dramatically improved over those of GT Sport, and I never felt myself weighing the pros and cons of the visuals compared to simply playing on a “flat” TV display. In short, the game looks great and really highlights the virtues of PS VR2.

Ogle your all-time favorite cars in the VR Showroom​

Players can now look around any of the 450+ cars in the game using the VR Showroom, which is accessible from your Garage. This feels like the natural culmination of Polyphony’s incredible efforts in bringing each car to life; the plastics, wood paneling, leather, vinyl, and plastics are now viewable at your leisure. Getting up close and personal with various stereo systems, dashboards, and dials is (weirdly) one of the things I’m most looking forward to once I have a PS VR2 at home. The novelty of peering around the back seats of each car can’t be understated.

Head tracking is a game changer​

While it may sound unremarkable on paper, being able to freely look around during a race—with your view untethered from the front of your car—provides tangible benefits, both in terms of performance and presence within the virtual world. For example, while driving into a sharp corner, it’s possible to look beyond the immediate turn to the rest of the track and plan your next move. This is one of those intuitive “real life” driving behaviors that feels somewhat uncanny to experience in a game.

A newfound sense of scale and speed​

Another upshot of the “I’m actually driving a Mazda 787B” feeling is a newfound sense of…claustrophobia and danger (in a good way!). Motorsport can be quite dangerous, and those of us with no personal experience can get a better sense of that in VR: the increased tangibility of a race car’s purpose-built, rough-and-ready interior, along with real limitations on visibility (narrower windshields, roll-bars, etc.), dramatically heightens the sense of speed and intensity of a race.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, PS VR2 offers a new perspective on the track environments themselves. For example, the mountain range at Dragon Tail feels genuinely huge and imposing, and the desert at Willow Springs somehow feels, well, more desert-like—the vast emptiness of this Southern California expanse is perceptibly vast and empty. It’s a sensation I’ve never had in a game before and it made tearing around the arid landscape feel liberating.

edit
and here's a great hands on by GT Planet

Last edited:
Top Bottom