• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 set to launch with an install of 110GB (PS4) / 90GB (PS5)

ZywyPL

Banned
Not having 120 fps in the 2nd year of this gen is just lazy. Especially in a 60 fps ps4 racing game. they shouldnt even have to reduce the resolution since PS4 Pro already runs it at 60 fps 4kcb. With a 2.5x faster GPU, 2x more RAM bandwidth. 8x more powerful CPU, it should just work. It really makes no sense why PD is so inefficient. they only have 170 employees so maybe they are just too small for modern day AAA dev but thats no excuse for a premiere sony first party studio.

Wait, it's confirmed there won't be a 120FPS mode??

Must be one of phils 4d chess moves.
season 7 friends GIF
Perhaps 🤔...

That said it's good to see the compression tools being put to work with these games. Really curious of the PS4 version's size, or if they need two discs for that one.

AGRacing

Gold Member
Not having 120 fps in the 2nd year of this gen is just lazy. Especially in a 60 fps ps4 racing game. they shouldnt even have to reduce the resolution since PS4 Pro already runs it at 60 fps 4kcb. With a 2.5x faster GPU, 2x more RAM bandwidth. 8x more powerful CPU, it should just work. It really makes no sense why PD is so inefficient. they only have 170 employees so maybe they are just too small for modern day AAA dev but thats no excuse for a premiere sony first party studio.

Not every game is going to have a 120fps mode... but you're more than right about not seeing returns in line with the speed increases. Especially since we are dealing with more than 2.5X GPU power... because TF isn't an accurate comparison between architectures that are different (but that's been repeated to death).

That being said , however.... one thing Sony is doing wrong is not mastering ALL preview content for PS5 in 4K HDR. I'd even take the step on YouTube of asking viewers to watch it that way at the beginning of every video. "Best viewed in 4K HDR". And even that level of Youtube quality does not do the native presentation justice.

The reality is a lot of the new power youre speaking of has translated into maximizing the per pixel clarity on 4K TVs. I have no doubt this game is going to look incredible and extremely sharp and smooth on my television... but when it's introduced in a shifty quality live stream to the public they don't do themselves any favors. Time will tell... and I agree completely they absolutely can do MORE with the power they have... but this one aspect is vastly under appreciated and it's entirely their fault. Their marketing department is not on the ball.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

This is what you wrote. It's all bullshit. What's even stiff arse driving mechanics? Shit makes no sense.
The sound engine was overalled for gt sport. Pompous menu? Gt has the best menu than any racing and I can go far and say is the best menu in any game. Clean beautiful and great music. Same old clinical circuit? What? Are you serious. It's like saying fifa has the same old stadium also GT has great made up circuits fantastic even. Do you think you hurt my feelings? Like I don't deal with trolls everyday

You see what I mean?
Easy lad, you'll get a hernia from all that outrage :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Dont get so wound up, it's just a racing game with a few stiff parts (y)

Neilg

Horizon being like 90 GB and this being 110 GB is nutty. I was hoping to see moderately sized games. Is there a breakdown of ps4 install vs ps5
Crossgen is holding this back.
The data structure needs to be stored in a way that allows a shit laptop drive to stream it, and they're not going to create a separate build branch where the entire structure is completely unique just to save space. It would be far too much work.
Across all the install files on PS5, there will be a shitload of duplicated textures, models, audio files etc that wouldn't need to be there if it was exclusive.

Some games have patched this after release and dropped the file size for the native next gen versions. I wouldn't be surprised to see the same for those, but not at the cost of missing a launch date.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
Which guy ?

To be fair to OP, the 110 GB was mentioned on PS's website, and the size tweet your quoted post mentions "without day 1 patch". These days, we often get 10~20GB day 1 patches so it won't be surprising if the final install size on day 1 is 100GB+.

Below image is from Reddit :
This is the PS direct preorder page for Uncharted Legacy of Thieves 88GB
bw9vJmo.png

The Twitter that scrapes PSN server for package size says 89.781GB

3CsH36I.png

The actual real download size is 67.319GB

FJme1XfXoAEQtHj

The only accurate size that is reliable is what PS5 actually says when you are downloading the package and it is often less than what the website says.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
See, I knew you was a big softy really and not full of anger. But yes, bought and played them all, and do find em stiff

And to this day, still find the 1st two the peak of the series.
fair enough.its understandable really. i think sport is the best of them all. some people like the single player part of the other games, grind to get a new car, and all the challenges and so on, i personally love the fact you can sign a contract with any manufacturer and get straight a gt4 and a gt3 car to start racing. and gameplay is a huge improvement from the others and that is expected anyway. at the end of day, is preferences

Last edited:
GT7 is GTSport + GT5/6 SP+ auto shop+ customization that was pretty much been confirmed what GT7 is them not having the ray tracing and 120hz is not surprising there not enough ps5 in the wild to make the dev cost of adding those things worth it. Kraz even in the interview a few month back kinda hinted to it "NO ps4 or Ps5 games have been charting since September of last year in japan" So he pretty much sees the writing on the wall JP devs see what goes on outside of japan and in japan so them cutting back on those features is not surprising. The install size is not surpsing the Kracken Shrinking features only works if the game is next gen only " and a huge if" there is no way for the base ps4 to take advantage of any sort of shrinking feature Warzone/ Cold war had to jump through hoops to keep the total game size down from 150gb.

Dr.Morris79

fair enough.its understandable really. i think sport is the best of them all. some people like the single player part of the other games, grind to get a new car, and all the challenges and so on, i personally love the fact you can sign a contract with any manufacturer and get straight a gt4 and a gt3 car to start racing. and gameplay is a huge improvement from the others and that is expected anyway. at the end of day, is preferences
Ah see, thats probably why we differ quite a bit too, I was always more on the single player side of it.. and I still bought Sport knowing this, I just had to see it (had to be done..)

And thinking back now, I did quite enjoy the 4th on the PS2, I think it's after that instalment my cynical view on the series started to take hold.

sncvsrtoip

How many unique tracks will they have in 7? I've put in a lot of hrs in Sport, and it looks almost identical.
on premiere probably only 4 new to gt sport (Trial Mountain, Deep Forest, Daytona, High Speed Ring) hopefully many more later as a free upgrade (similarly as in gt sport)l

Kacho

Gold Member
Waiting for that PS5 slim before upgrading so I may grab this on PS4 if it runs well.

Haven’t played a GT since GT4 on PS2 and I’m bored of Turn 10 Forza honesty. Is the career progression still like classic GT?

Phase

Waiting for that PS5 slim before upgrading so I may grab this on PS4 if it runs well.

Haven’t played a GT since GT4 on PS2 and I’m bored of Turn 10 Forza honesty. Is the career progression still like classic GT?
Apparently the career is back for 7. Maybe someone else knows more specifics.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
How is 110gb expected when it’s a cross gen game with the Kraken tech and SSD that’s supposed to eliminate texture duplication?
as opposed to what? is gt7 in another system? that we can compare. Do you guys never get tired of trolling? is literally what you do every single day

Kerotan

Tbh I think this will support VR.

Also ps5 Pro in like 4 years it will run 120fps imo. GT8 no sooner then 2028.

DonF

110 GB and every time a new patch releases, the game will need to copy again so you are going to need like 220 gb total to avoid troubles.

MrFunSocks

Banned
As a grown adult, the size makes sense given the scope. Bring it on. Looks like the best GT since GT4.
Lol what does being a grown adult have to do with the scope of the game? Scope of a game alone has little to do with file size.

What scope are you talking about anyway?

Barakov

https://www.aroged.com/2022/01/23/g...ystation-exclusive-ever-with-110gb-at-launch/

Largest PS5 exclusive launch title to date (capacity wise).

Polyphony Digital obviously loves cars and racing, but I've always wondered if game development has passed them by. If GT7 doesn't return Polyphony Digital towards the top of SIE, I think it might be time to put them out to pasture and maybe create a new team for Gran Turismo. I don't mean to be hyperbolic in saying that. SIE has evolved from the late 90s and early 2000s and that evolution has entirely happened without Japanese studios. I hope Polyphony Digital can make that jump, but nothing they've done in the last decade tells me that they can.

This game is going to tell us a lot about them as game developers and not just racing game developers. I had hoped for a 120hz mode, but it doesn't look like that is in the cards for this game, maybe down the road or GT8. I think a lot of these features that were discussed will end up in GT8, 120hz, VR e.t.c. But I'm more concerned with whether they make a competent game worth 70 dollars:
  • Do they finally eliminate load times with the PS5s SSD
  • With the game taking up 110GB is the game just loaded or did they not make great use of the Kraken compression. Will be interested to see the PS4 size compared to the PS5 size.
  • This is probably the most ambitious Gran Turismo game ever released (and in my opinion maybe for the wrong reasons).
    • You have a PS5 version, a PS4 Pro version, and a PS4 version.
    • Can't wait to see what Digital Foundry says about the performance across these 3 models.
  • There was talk of a GT7 Beta around 6 months ago, but I haven't heard any evidence that any Beta took place. To release a game this size without a beta just seems pretty daft. Obviously, there is time before release, but it's surprising to not have anything at this point and a competent developer should realize that. For such an ambitious game to not have beta tests is just asking for early trouble.
    • The lack of even an early access release is worrisome.
Aside from the technical aspect, it'll be interesting to see how they tackle some of the series other historic criticisms around sound, damage, and menus.
season 4 healthy lifestyle GIF by Broad City

TIme to clean out the fridge.

ethomaz

Banned
And that’s pretty much the only racer on consoles that ever has.
Err… all previous GT games since internet become a thing on consoles had a Beta.

GT1, GT2, GT3, GT4, GT5, GT6 and GTS all had betas.

Edit - Actually offline GT games had beta including GT1, GT2 and GT3.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Gotta admit if you didn't expand you PS5 Storage it's starting to seriously sucks tbh lol

That being said this game is gonna be phenomenal without the doubt.
Why? Most people don’t have all their games installed at the same time. That’s stupid and unnecessary. Seriously, expanding storage never made sense to me even in the ps4 days. I always delete the games I’m not playing.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Err… all previous GT games since internet become a thing on consoles had a Beta.

GT1, GT2, GT3, GT4, GT5, GT6 and GTS all had betas.

Edit - Actually offline GT games had beta including GT1, GT2 and GT3.
I assume you're calling the Prologue releases betas?

What Beta did GT5 and 6 have?

Last edited:
Tbh I think this will support VR.

Also ps5 Pro in like 4 years it will run 120fps imo. GT8 no sooner then 2028.

I think we'll see GT8 sooner than that. Same gen GT games usually come out within 2-3 years.

So GT8 should come out by 2025-2026.

At some point, they'll probably need to shift the series to GaaS type model and release DLC with new cars/tracks.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Lol what does being a grown adult have to do with the scope of the game? Scope of a game alone has little to do with file size.

What scope are you talking about anyway?

what scope are we talking about here? is there any solid info on the scope of it? I haven't heard a word on that

Look guys, that user is a grown adult, that's the main takeaway.

On topic, it's "90 tracks" which if we take historical examples via GT Sport etc will actually be a few tracks divided into different stretches and reversed etc which get counted as "Separate tracks".

Last edited:
99% of the games released on PS5 are cross gen and a lot of them used kraken to reduce file sizes. Control, Guardians even Avengers all got substantial reductions in size.

This is just another case of sony devs not bothering to utilize the ps5 io. Horizon 2 is 100 GB. TLOU2 takes up 77 GB on my PS5 in BC mode and couldve gotten a substantial size reduction if they had bothered to release a PS5 sku but they didnt. Even a 4 person team from immortal shells was able to create a PS5 sku.

Sony has disappointed with weak BC efforts this entire gen so far. All we get is simple fps boosts, occasionally a native ps5 version with 3d audio and dual sense support. Barely any improvements to the actual graphics settings.

Top Bottom