• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 Update 1.29 includes PS VR2 upgrade, a race against superhuman AI, a classic GT track and 5 new cars

Draugoth

Gold Member

PlayStation VR2 (PS5 only) for Gran Turismo 7 arrives​

With the 1.29 update at no additional cost, players will be able to for the first time experience all the races and game modes (excluding ‘2P Split Screen’ mode) with a whole new level of realism. PS VR2 players will also be able to access an exclusive ‘VR Showroom’ area from their ‘Garage’ or the in-game car dealerships where they can admire all the stunning details of the ultra-high-definition car models in a variety of locations and lighting settings.

GT7 takes full advantage of PS VR2’s next-gen features – Utilizing specially optimized HDR tone mapping, as well as foveated rendering from the eye-tracking feature (a technology that renders areas of the screen that the player is directly looking at in high definition), and dynamic 3D audio support, players will experience a whole new dimension of highly immersive gameplay.

Take your Gran Turismo 7 experience to new heights with PS VR2 (launching February 22).

Experience Gran Turismo Sophy in Race Together mode (PS5 Only)​

Gran Turismo Sophy is a revolutionary superhuman racing AI racing agent developed in a collaboration between Sony AI, Sony Interactive Entertainment and Polyphony Digital. “Gran Turismo Sophy Race Together” mode gives Gran Turismo players of all levels and abilities the opportunity to go head-to-head against GT Sophy in GT7. The special mode, available as a time-limited in-game event (From Feb 21 to end of March), is a first look at GT Sophy in GT7 and is designed to maximize the fun and excitement of racing against GT Sophy for everyone. Player feedback on this initial special feature will be used to continually improve the GT Sophy Race Together mode feature for future releases.

In GT Sophy Race Together mode, players can race against GT Sophy in a series of four circuits of increasing difficulty, as a Beginner / Intermediate / Expert driver. In each of the four races, the player races against four GT Sophy cars of different performance levels. Players can also challenge GT Sophy in 1VS1 mode, where GT Sophy and the player race one-on-one with identical car configurations and settings, which showcases the superhuman racing skills of GT Sophy. The excitement of GT Sophy Race Together mode is enhanced with GT7’s new emoticon feature, which displays emoticons on the GT Sophy cars throughout the race to react to the in-game action.

The mode can be accessed directly from the top right panel on the GT7 World Map, and the player can start a race against GT Sophy once the player has reached Collector Level 6. For more information on GT Sophy, please refer to the official site.

Grand Valley returns with Highway 1​

A Gran Turismo classic, Grand Valley returns to the series with an all-new look. The full ‘Highway 1’ layout is a challenging course featuring full-throttle high speed sections along with tight winding technical corners. The shorter 2000m ‘South’ layout features harsh elevation changes and blind corners to keep drivers on their toes. An expansive environment where the ocean meets the mountains, as well as large bridge and tunnel sections makes for a dynamic location that recreates the excitement of driving the world’s great winding seaside roads.

5 new added cars​

Honda RA272 ’65​

The F1 machine that garnered Honda their first victory.

With their innovative ideas and forward-thinking engineering skills, Honda has achieved a number of technological revolutions. A great example of this is their first endeavors in F1 in 1964 when there were still relatively unknown as a car manufacturer. The machine they developed was the RA271 which used an aluminum shell over a space frame body, with a 1.5L V12 engine in an unusual transverse midship position. Its uniqueness however would be its downfall and it failed to make any achievements in its debut year. In 1965, Honda put the machine through a radical overhaul resulting in the RA272. The RA272E engine was a more efficient version of the previous V12 using lightened components. The construction of the rear suspension was changed from an inboard to an outboard setup, which allowed the weight to be reduced from 525 kg to 498 kg, a major improvement. At the steering wheels sat Ronnie Bucknum in his second year as well as new driver Richie Ginther.

Italdesign Exeneo Vision Gran Turismo Street and Off-Road Mode​

A high-performance luxury car prepared as a ‘beautifully wrapped gift’.

Italdesign was founded in 1968 in Turin, Italy, and has designed and engineered more than 300 production cars and premiered more than 100 concept cars at the most important world auto shows. Many of its pieces have been featured in Gran Turismo. Some of the cars designed by Italdesign have gone on to become genuine movie stars, such as the De Lorean DMC 12, which starred in the ‘Back to the Future’ trilogy, or the Lotus Esprit, which was driven by Roger Moore in ‘The Spy Who Loved Me’. The Italdesign Exeneo Vision Gran Turismo continues the long Italian tradition of Gran Turismo automobiles, though updated with cutting-edge technology. Inspired by the 2013 all-road, mid-rear engine, compact GT Italdesign Parcour, this concept car features four different chassis settings (track, snow, off-road and urban), and was designed to be driven both on circuits and off-road tracks. A powerful V10 midship engine, together with two 200 kW (268.2 BHP) electric motors, assures a total output of 910 kW (1,219.9 BHP) of power, allowing the Exeneo VGT to reach a top speed of 236.1 mph, with an acceleration from 0 to 62.1 mph in 2.5 secs. A 7-speed gearbox, Individual Wheel Drive (IWD) and KERS recovery system complete the power train. To ensure maximum stability, intelligent suspension adapts automatically to different types of terrain.

Citroën DS 21 Pallas ’70​

A historic vision of the future from France.

Citroen were committed to front-wheel drive, and this DS is their masterpiece, made with all the most cutting-edge technologies of the time. It first appeared at the 1955 Salon de l’Automobile. While many other manufacturers were still producing cars in the pre-war style, the DS was a stunning vision of the future. With its avant-garde aerodynamic body and revolutionary hydropneumatic suspension system it was nicknamed the ‘flying saucer’. Development was lead by Andre Lefebvre, while the comparatively large 4.8 m long body was design by Italian Flaminio Bertoni, who had also worked on the classic 2CV. With such a forward-thinking design, the popularity of the DS did not wane for some time. Including various equipment and engine upgrades, the car continued to be produced for 20 years. In 1964, the ‘Pallas’ grade was added with luxury interior and exterior fixtures. Then in 1967, the car was given a more modern visage with the 2 round headlights replaced by 4 headlights in covered units.

Porsche 911 Carrera RS (901) ’73​

A first in Porsche 911 history, the elusive RennSport.

Appearing in 1973, the 911 Carrera RS 2.7 was the first model in the long history of the Porsche 911 to feature the RS badge. RS stands for ‘Rennsport’ or simply ‘racing sport’ in English, and as this name suggests it was developed as a homologation model for the FIA’s Group 4 category. The 2.4L engine from the base model 1973 911 S has been enlarged to 2.7L, now producing 207.1 BHP. The front end features an air dam which allows for the addition of an oil cooler. The rear of the car features the iconic duck tail spoiler as standard, with stretched rear fenders to house the new wider rear tires. The Carrera RS 2.7 was available in 3 grades: Touring, Sport and Racing, though even the luxury Touring model weighed less than 1,100 kg.

Scapes​

‘‘Drift Stage’ and ‘Move the camera up and down’ have been added to the featured section. Support for drift photos has also been added with this update. A tutorial will be available the first time you play after the update, which guides you through the steps for taking drift photos. Follow the on-screen advice and have fun shooting the perfect drift shots.

Musilla

Wow
ezgif-2-e885e68bfe.gif

Last edited:

Tunned

VGT cars are just bloat, overpowered crap which look like they belong 200 years in the future, what a waste of resources. There, I said it.

How about giving us a 992 GT3, a 488 pista, some newer cars instead of VGT crap?

The other 3 cars are awesome and Grand Valley looks amazing 😍 and VR should be 🔥. Nice update overall.

Aenima

Great update.

Some cars i like to get, nice track and curious to see Sophy AI in the game.

I used to have a toy car as a kid, very detailed, that was that citroen, it used to be a common car used by taxi drivers here. Ppl here nicknamed the car as "Boca de Sapo" (Frog's mouth).

Hellmaker

Oh man wish gt had some sprint tracks through those beautiful landscapes. The track presented looks something like it.
Loved nothing more than removing everything race track related in Driveclub and just fly through beautiful nature roads...

Unknown?

VGT cars are just bloat, overpowered crap which look like they belong 200 years in the future, what a waste of resources. There, I said it.

How about giving us a 992 GT3, a 488 pista, some newer cars instead of VGT crap?

The other 3 cars are awesome and Grand Valley looks amazing 😍 and VR should be 🔥. Nice update overall.
They don't look much different than many EVs already out there but why are concept cars bloat? Some of the best cars in GT have been concepts, GT2 had the Ford GT90. GT3 had a gen 2 Viper GTSR concept.

Hunnybun

It was rebuilt. Some of the others were just updated for GT7 but Trial Mountain was also rebuilt and looks way better than the others IMO.

For me Trial Mountain and Deep Forest are two of the ugliest tracks in the game, despite both being new.

Overall the visuals are some of the weirdest I've ever seen. It can go from looking just incredibly photorealistic on one stage and in the right lighting, to like a PS3 game at other times. It's a complete mess, really. The 4k does nothing because the textures themselves look all soft and low res - something like Horizon at 1800p checkerboard looks much, much sharper than this.

Unknown?

For me Trial Mountain and Deep Forest are two of the ugliest tracks in the game, despite both being new.

Overall the visuals are some of the weirdest I've ever seen. It can go from looking just incredibly photorealistic on one stage and in the right lighting, to like a PS3 game at other times. It's a complete mess, really. The 4k does nothing because the textures themselves look all soft and low res - something like Horizon at 1800p checkerboard looks much, much sharper than this.
Hmmm Deep Forest isn't anything special to me but Trial Mountain looks great IMO but that may be because it's such a quantum leap over the GT6 version. It has better looking foliage too.

Klik

As much as i like GT, i cant stand physics/ffb in this game anymore especially after playing Assetto Corsa on PC..

Gotta love how Gran Turismo is like a fine wine since the PS3 days. The launch day is usually just the beginning of a much bigger and better game.

I always come back for some more Gran Turismo 7. I haven't installed it since it came out tbh. This update sounds amazing. And this is just part of it. I'm sure there will be some more missions as well.

Unknown?

Gotta love how Gran Turismo is like a fine wine since the PS3 days. The launch day is usually just the beginning of a much bigger and better game.

I always come back for some more Gran Turismo 7. I haven't installed it since it came out tbh. This update sounds amazing. And this is just part of it. I'm sure there will be some more missions as well.
I hope they bring back the course creator from GT6 that you could make how you wanted on certain terrains but improved upon.

One little issue i have is their cars selection. Too many Vision stuff.

I want the classics! Gran Turismo was so good for that...wonder what happened. Concept cars and stuff like that are fun for a bit...but i get tired of them. Not sure if i'm alone in this.

Unknown?

One little issue i have is their cars selection. Too many Vision stuff.

I want the classics! Gran Turismo was so good for that...wonder what happened. Concept cars and stuff like that are fun for a bit...but i get tired of them. Not sure if i'm alone in this.
I always liked the concept cars. The GT90 was one of my favorites in GT2, Viper GTSR concept was one of my favorites in GT3, and Silverado SS was the best truck in GT4.

It allowed you to drive cars that they were too chicken to actually produce due to budget penny pinchers. Wish they'd bring back the Cadillac Cien along with the Cadillac Sixteen.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Wondering if Sophy ever comes to the PS4 version as well.
Seeing they can only manage 4 cars in the PS5's CPU...the jaguar cores are probably not up to the task. Maybe in the future if they keep optimising, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I always liked the concept cars. The GT90 was one of my favorites in GT2, Viper GTSR concept was one of my favorites in GT3, and Silverado SS was the best truck in GT4.

It allowed you to drive cars that they were too chicken to actually produce due to budget penny pinchers. Wish they'd bring back the Cadillac Cien along with the Cadillac Sixteen.
It's okay to have them of course...but half of them or one per month may be a bit too much.

I know it's probably an unpopular opinion though.

TrebleShot

Sony delivering on their promises of PS5 being able to use AI to enhance games at runtime is just fucking awesome. This is the 3rd first party game from them now using NN inference at runtime.
Whats that? for a simple fellow like myself, which games have Nice Neat Inference?

Tripolygon

Banned
Whats that? for a simple fellow like myself, which games have Nice Neat Inference?
Lol. AI inference, it is just a trained AI model using data to make prediction based on input data. Like Sophy AI is a trained model which is using the live game data at runtime during a race to make predictions on how to turn the steering and brake to achieve a good race line and time without going off course and hitting other racers. Miles Morales and Horizon FW use AI models for different things.

Last edited:
Top Bottom