• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 Update 1.29 includes PS VR2 upgrade, a race against superhuman AI, a classic GT track and 5 new cars

Not having VR for their own GT would have been ridiculous. Now Dirt3 and next F1 should follow and I guess AC should also be able to port their PC thingy.
Racing should be the safe bet for VR-too.

The PS4 gets most updates too? Personally I would have ended PS4 support with a smaller GT7 Prologue game (maybe even free for GTS owners and free in the PS+ Collection) and released the full GT7 only on PS5 but they seem commited to drag those users a bit longer along.

nowhat

I always liked the concept cars. The GT90 was one of my favorites in GT2, Viper GTSR concept was one of my favorites in GT3, and Silverado SS was the best truck in GT4.

It allowed you to drive cars that they were too chicken to actually produce due to budget penny pinchers. Wish they'd bring back the Cadillac Cien along with the Cadillac Sixteen.
In the case of the Audi e-tron VGT, the company actually produced a working version: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_e-tron_Vision_Gran_Turismo

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!

On February 20, Polyphony Digital and Sony AI announced the first global release of Gran Turismo Sophy (GT Sophy)—Sony's innovative AI racing agent. And, for a limited time only, players will be able to sample this breakthrough technology in new game mode called "Race Together" in Gran Turismo 7 on the PlayStation®5 console.

Developed in collaboration with Sony AI and Sony Interactive Entertainment in just one year, Race Together allows players of all levels and abilities the opportunity to go wheel to wheel against GT Sophy. They can challenge the autonomous racing AI agent in a series of four races increasing in varying levels of difficulty, from Beginner to Expert. In each of the races, players will compete against four GT Sophy cars with different performance levels. Those with exceptional skills can even challenge GT Sophy in head-to-head battles (1vs1) with identical car configurations and settings, showcasing GT Sophy's remarkable speed and driving skills.

Race Together also introduces a new emoticon feature that displays the emotions on the GT Sophy cars throughout the race to indicate how the racing AI is reacting to what is happening on the track.

Race Together is part of Update 1.29 and will be available until late March. We hope you will take this unique opportunity to jump on the track and race with GT Sophy!

How to Play "Race Together"​

1. The event can be accessed directly from the Race Together banner on the top right corner of the World Map screen. Players must be at Collector Level 6 or above and have Update 1.29 installed.

2. On the Race Together main screen, four races are available. Each race features three difficulty levels from Beginner to Intermediate to Expert, and a "1vs1" mode in which players can test themselves against GT Sophy's expert racing skills. The GT Sophy official website can also be viewed from the button in the bottom left corner.

3. The new Race Together event will feature emoticons: These are displayed above the GT Sophy car's name or position indicator and act as an indicator of how GT Sophy is reacting to what is happening on track. A variety of emoticons are included enabling the AI to convey a wide range of emotions.

4. In 1vs1 mode, players can challenge the superhuman racing skills of GT Sophy with identical car configurations. Players can also view their friends' rankings, as well as the Top 10 Stars rankings, and see how their 1vs1 race times match up.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

i1QCfXFShYRsW.jpg

i1huNzgtNTnxkSH.jpg

i1sdi28LZxyxNdH.jpg

i1M28yb4NbmtOz.jpg

i1ebwu8FHmrKY8c.jpg

Tunned

They don't look much different than many EVs already out there but why are concept cars bloat? Some of the best cars in GT have been concepts, GT2 had the Ford GT90. GT3 had a gen 2 Viper GTSR concept.
I don't mind actual concept cars that exist(ed) in real life in GT. VGT cars are made from scratch for GT (correct me if I'm wrong), and all of them are meh, I can't even name one, because for me they take up space which could have been filled by a real car.

Unknown?

I don't mind actual concept cars that exist(ed) in real life in GT. VGT cars are made from scratch for GT (correct me if I'm wrong), and all of them are meh, I can't even name one, because for me they take up space which could have been filled by a real car.
So what's the difference between a concept that's made for an auto show or a game? In the case of Mercedes and Audi they actually made real world prototypes of these Vision cars. Are those not actual concept cars?

But I get what you're saying.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

3. "Drift Stage" and "Move the camera up and down" now part of the featured Curation in Scapes

"Drift Photography" is a new photograph feature that comes with complete with tutorial. The tutorial will be available the first time you play after the update and will guide you through the steps for taking professional-level drift photos. Follow the on-screen advice and have fun capturing images of cars as they slide gracefully sideways.

i1HyRhP84jT0HO.jpg

Last edited:

Tunned

So what's the difference between a concept that's made for an auto show or a game? In the case of Mercedes and Audi they actually made real world prototypes of these Vision cars. Are those not actual concept cars?

But I get what you're saying.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't like outlandish fictional cars which all have over a million hp. I'll take a GT2/3/4 class car over a hypercar any day.

Con-Z-epT

Pretty exciting to be able to drive against Sophy AI after not even a year in development. Makes me really curious how the implementation will be at the end of the GT7 lifecycle or what it will mean for the next iteration.

GladiusFrog

Pretty exciting to be able to drive against Sophy AI after not even a year in development. Makes me really curious how the implementation will be at the end of the GT7 lifecycle or what it will mean for the next iteration.
GT7 Will be amazing at the end of its life.

GT8 Will be legendary, And I don't think we will be waiting too long for that one (3 years from now I'm guessing)

Kvally

Banned
I am loving all these updates. We still need them to make the game playable offline, make more content available offline, add host migration to the lobbies, and improve the physics. Otherwise, the game continues to be solid.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Grand Valley looks really good, reminds me of Azura Coast of Project Cars. I hope we can also inspect the cars in and out in non VR mode. Also please add more 1h races PD, those are the best races in the game.

Kvally

Banned
If this game just gets shut down someday with no offline mode I'm going to be furious
That is a good concern, as you would lose most of your campaign access. And they have already terminated support and online for all GT games starting with GT6 and back. GT Sport was more online focused, so I wouldn't lose any sleep if I didn't have access to the little campaign content that they have. Not to mention, I have already moved on to GT7. Maybe they could patch the game to allow the campaign content playable offline while nixing the online aspect.

Last edited:

GladiusFrog

That is a good concern, as you would lose most of your campaign access. And they have already terminated support and online for all GT games starting with GT6 and back. GT Sport was more online focused, so I wouldn't lose any sleep if I didn't have access to the little campaign content that they have. Not to mention, I have already moved on to GT7. Maybe they could patch the game to allow the campaign content playable offline will nixing the online aspect.

Final patch for GT7 should be just that, offline mode.

Preserve the gaming history.

Unknown?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't like outlandish fictional cars which all have over a million hp. I'll take a GT2/3/4 class car over a hypercar any day.
Ahhhh I get you. I too prefer cars that aren't crazy, more moderate.

I really want to know how people will responde tho race in VR.

I'm very very very resistant to motion sickness but one time I tried a type of Mario kart VR game it was a mess, I had headaches for at least 1h and feel sick in my belly for at least 3 hours.

Since them I never tried a race game in VR again.

Fox Mulder

If this game just gets shut down someday with no offline mode I'm going to be furious

It will, but whatever. Like even multiple Forzas that I spent additional money on for every dlc pack and expansions are delisted and servers cut off. It’s just how it is sometimes. Better to have fun now than get pissed off about a couple years from now.

jm89

Final patch for GT7 should be just that, offline mode.

Preserve the gaming history.
Gt sport should be our first look at what PD do, it will be a shambles if they just shut off the server and that's it.

Hopefully they thought far into the future and made it easy to remove whatever check they do or just fake a check if it's a pain to remove.

Last edited:

lukilladog

VR is the natural evolution of Gran Turismo.

People were saying the same with Assetto Corsa and Project cars many years ago... but people are still playing in their favorite flat screen.

Even the megalomaniac we have as F1 World champion could care less:

max_feb2021.jpg

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
GT7 Will be amazing at the end of its life.

GT8 Will be legendary, And I don't think we will be waiting too long for that one (3 years from now I'm guessing)
Its only gonna have 3 cars. Disappointing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom