• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 Update 1.29 includes PS VR2 upgrade, a race against superhuman AI, a classic GT track and 5 new cars

SLB1904

Banned
People were saying the same with Assetto Corsa and Project cars many years ago... but people are still playing in their favorite flat screen.
This is nonsense, if you follow the sim community. People have vr exclusive rigs. Also the vr is very demanding. Most of people plays on low settings in flat screen for performance reasons. Vr on pc is demanding doesn't matter what people say. Also triple screen is pretty immersive. So it really doesn't matter

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
People were saying the same with Assetto Corsa and Project cars many years ago... but people are still playing in their favorite flat screen.

Even the megalomaniac we have as F1 World champion could care less:

max_feb2021.jpg
I would take that over VR any day of the week. But I would have to have the surround setup without having a headset on. I don't have my wheel and screens setup any longer as I don't have a PC anymore. It was dated and I just gave up. I am considering going all PC again now that PC seems to be gaining traction with Xbox and PS.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
They're still pushing this 'superhuman AI'? Lol, a good AI is supposed to replicate a human being so it should be flawed and it should react to what you're doing in a realistic way. Even the best drivers make dumb mistakes and they have different personalities. It shouldn't be about AI cars lapping the best times possible.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Last edited:

lukilladog

Yeah a all lot 250 people.
Get a load of this guy

Better statistical sampling than the two of Us... also the people that visit forums are some of the most enthusiast, outside the vr number would be single digits for sure.

Last edited:

ABnormal

Even the megalomaniac we have as F1 World champion could care less:

max_feb2021.jpg
That's just due to motion sickness. Even the three-screens plus cockpit combo in the picture gives an experience which is pathetic compared to that given by proper VR. There's somply no comparison at all.

One day motion sickness will be completely overcomed (I guess by some tech like the one Valve talked about) and from that time every kind of motion and gameplay in VR will be unleashed and fully expressed. There's no coming back from that, and at that time we will probably have very tiny and refined VR goggles.

lukilladog

That's just due to motion sickness. Even the three-screens plus cockpit combo in the picture gives an experience which is pathetic compared to that given by proper VR. There's somply no comparison at all.

One day motion sickness will be completely overcomed (I guess by some tech like the one Valve talked about) and from that time every kind of motion and gameplay in VR will be unleashed and fully expressed. There's no coming back from that, and at that time we will probably have very tiny and refined VR goggles.

You are stepping into the wishful thinking territory.

lukilladog

Go actually read the article and the comments.

The poll wasn't asking owners of VR if they prefer racing in VR or flat, it was asking a general audience. So of course more voted no, because not many have VR.

Comments are full of people saying it sucks to go back to flat after racing in VR.

People have their reasons to discard, not consider, or even not wanting Vr, and they happen to be the majority, there is not much to it.

Last edited:

lukilladog

And what percent plays on a triple screen. 30% on vr is way higher than any other genre is going to be.

A triple monitor setup on a dedicated sim rig is one of the few scenarios that makes a headset look cheap, simple, and versatile.

Several times more than people using VR for sure... I don't have statistics but if you go into sim racing streams you will see... cost is not the problem of Vr on these niche markets obviously.

lukilladog

That's not what your post was about, but whatever you say.

I don't think many people that was using VR voted against it, but a few for sure, as you start to see on these forums as well, more and more headsets are abandoned to collect dust.

Last edited:

Thief1987

They're still pushing this 'superhuman AI'? Lol, a good AI is supposed to replicate a human being so it should be flawed and it should react to what you're doing in a realistic way. Even the best drivers make dumb mistakes and they have different personalities. It shouldn't be about AI cars lapping the best times possible.
Lol, it's like what they are trying to achieve with Sophy. It's not that hard to make AI cars impossible to defeat, you don't need machine learning for this.

Crayon

I think the idea would be to train the ai to different skill levels for normal use. If you have seen the thing drive before, it is extremely aggresive and cuts into the weeds to cheat a bit wherever it can.

lukilladog

Lol, it's like what they are trying to achieve with Sophy. It's not that hard to make AI cars impossible to defeat, you don't need machine learning for this.

Spot on. I was modding AI on Gtr2 mods many years ago just to have a deadly battle at the end:

Ps.- Shit, that was almost like Pérez dispatching Russell for the lead in 2021, at the same track.
Ps2.- Crazy wheel to wheel keyboard racing lol.

Last edited:

Unknown?

That's not what this is about. It's not about being impossible or they could program a car to always do perfect laps and no mistakes and even be over powered.

ABnormal

And that shows how much you don't know what you are talking about. The point is not having an unbeatable AI, and AIs are not algorithms. The point is having real adaptable AIs that don't rely on algorithms. What is usually used in videogames are not real AIs: they are just algorithms that rigidly follow more or less complex instructions, rigidly depending by the configuration of the present situation. That kind of "AI" can be made able to land a grenade at your feet after 5 bounces easily, and it has to be "dumbed down" to make it beatable.
Proper AIs are entirely another thing, and are neural network based, with the ability to learn (they have also to be trained) and to adapt in a flexible way.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I don't think many people that was using VR voted against it, but a few for sure, as you start to see on these forums as well, more and more headsets are abandoned to collect dust.
"Among those who have tried VR sim racing and moved on, two of the common complaints are that the video appears grainy and the frame rate is too low. Both issues can be mitigated with higher end hardware, but the cost of such hardware is prohibitive to many."
There are multiple comments from people saying it would be too expensive for them.

Fox Mulder

They're still pushing this 'superhuman AI'? Lol, a good AI is supposed to replicate a human being so it should be flawed and it should react to what you're doing in a realistic way. Even the best drivers make dumb mistakes and the have different personalities. It shouldn't be about AI cars lapping the best times possible.

We’ll have to see if this actually amounts to anything more than an inhuman AI setting perfect fast times. There’s not much mainstream fun or point to that though and just makes lazy article headlines.

The basic AI you just race against in a solo campaign is god awful and hopefully something like this can help.

Inviusx

The GT Planet preview of Sophy explained that he felt spoilt racing against Sophy as going back to regular race AI was unbearable. It seems to react as well as a really fun human racer which is about the best possible thing you could to hope to achieve with a system like this.

My dream is that GT8 just uses Sophy for every AI racer. A future worth looking forward to.

Unknown?

The GT Planet preview of Sophy explained that he felt spoilt racing against Sophy as going back to regular race AI was unbearable. It seems to react as well as a really fun human racer which is about the best possible thing you could to hope to achieve with a system like this.

My dream is that GT8 just uses Sophy for every AI racer. A future worth looking forward to.
Can't wait to try it!!

ABnormal

It seems to be very heavy on CPU, and even if current gen consoles CPU is quite good, there's usually not so much spare power to run many AIs simultaneously. That's the reason behind the talks of including dedicated processing units for AI in the future.
But knowing that they are making big steps forward on that and that they will be ready when hardware will be ready, it's really exciting. Real AI in videogames, alongside proper procedural, physics-based animations, will be a future big step much more impacting than the obvious further improvements on rendering: they will impact on game mechanics themselves a lot.
Even simple co-op games, if played against real AI enemies, would be always engaging and unpredictable, compared to the usual pattern-based, algorithm based "AIs" that are usually used.

Raonak

Banned
The vision concept cars have full interiors right?

goddamn, that's gonna be fun to drive in VR (and by that i mean i'm gonna be going extremely fast and spinning out with every slight turn)

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!

Details for Update 1.29​

The following is a list of the main features and adjustments introduced in the latest update for Gran Turismo 7.

Main Features Implemented​

1. Cars
 - The following five new cars have been added:
  ・Citroën DS 21 Pallas '70 (available for purchase at Legend Cars)
  ・Honda RA272 ’65 (available for purchase at Legend Cars)
  ・Italdesign EXENEO Vision Gran Turismo Street Mode
  ・Italdesign EXENEO Vision Gran Turismo Off-road Mode
  ・Porsche 911 Carrera RS (901) '73 (available for purchase at Legend Cars)

2. Tracks
 - The Grand Valley race track comes with four different layouts:
  ・Grand Valley - Highway 1
  ・Grand Valley - Highway 1 Reverse
  ・Grand Valley - South
  ・Grand Valley - South Reverse

This track will be available at Collector Level 15.

3. World Circuits
- "Circuit Experience" has been added to the "Grand Valley - Highway 1" track in the Americas section.
- The following new events have been added to World Circuits:
  - World Touring Car 600
  - Gr.1 Prototype Series
  - American Sunday Cup 600
  - Japanese Clubman Cup 550
  - Historic Sports Car Masters

World Touring Car 600 will be available at Collector Level 15; American Sunday Cup 600 will be available after clearing Menu Book No. 39 (Championship: World GT Series) and having watched the ending; Japanese Clubman Cup 550 will be available after starting Menu Book No. 42 (Gr.1 Prototype Series) that unlocks at Collector Level 30; and Historic Sportscar Masters will be available after starting Menu Book No. 46 (Historic Sports Car Masters) that unlocks at Collector Level 29.

・WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca
  - Sunday Cup Classic

The Sunday Cup Classic will be available after reaching Menu Book No. 13 (Try Your Hand at a Mission).

4. PlayStation®VR2
 - The PlayStation®5 console now fully supports PlayStation®VR2. Every game mode (excluding "2P Split Screen"), every online race, and an exclusive VR Showroom mode is available in VR.

5. Gran Turismo Sophy
 - A limited-time "Race Together" event now allows players to challenge the autonomous racing agent Gran Turismo Sophy (GT Sophy). This event is only available on the PlayStation®5 console version. "Race Together" will be available after reaching Collector Level 6 and can be accessed from the special banner at the top right of the World Map screen.

6.Scapes
 - The following functions have been added to Scapes:
  ・Drift Photography
  ・Height-Adjustable Spots
  ・"Height-Adjustable Spots" button on the Scapes home screen
  ・Heat Glow effect

- The Drift Stage and "Move the camera up and down" features have been added to Curation in Scapes.
 - Tutorials for "Drifting" have been added.

7. Brand Central
 - New Museum section for Italdesign has been added for Europe (Italy).
 - New Museum section for Sony AI has been added for Asia-Pacific (Japan).

8. Café
 - The following two new Extra Menus have been added:
  ・Extra Menu No. 16: Collection: Honda Motorsports (Collector Level 47 and above)
  ・Extra Menu No. 17: Collection: Porsche 911 Carrera RS (Collector Level 39 and above)

- There are new sets of conversations with the Car Designers and Characters appearing in the Café. These new conversations can be accessed by changing to the following cars in your "Garage" and speaking with the Characters in the Café.

CAR DESIGNERS
   - Kunihisa Ito
    ・Honda NSX GT500 '08
    ・Mazda 787B '91
    ・Mini Cooper 'S' '65
    ・RE Amemiya FD3S RX-7

- Hikonori Kagurazaka
    ・Aston Martin Vulkan '16
    ・Bugatti Chiron '16
    ・Bugatti Veyron 16.4 '13
    ・Citroën DS 21 Pallas '70

- Hideo Kodama
    ・BMW i3 '15
    ・Ferrari 500 Mondial Pinin Farina Coupe '54
    ・ Plymouth XNR Ghia Roadster '60
    ・Suzuki Swift Sport '17
    ・Toyota Sport 800 '65

- Tom Matano
    ・AMG Mercedes AMG C 63 S '15
    ・AMG 300 SEL 6.8 AMG '71
    ・Honda S660 '15
    ・Lamborghini Aventador LP750-4 SV '15
    ・Mazda Demio XD Touring '15

- Shiro Nakamura
    ・BMW M3 Coupé '07
    ・De Tomaso Pantera '71
    ・Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe '64

- Ed Welburn
    ・Chevrolet Camaro SS '16
    ・Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE Package '18
    ・Chevrolet Corvette C7 ZR1 '19
    ・Pontiac GTO 'The Judge' '69

CHARACTERS
   - Jeremy
    ・Honda RA272 '65
    ・Honda S800 '66
    ・McLaren MP4/4 '88
    ・Porsche 911 Carrera RS (901) '73

9. GT Auto
 - Thirteen new paint colors have been added to the Real Car Paint section of the Paint Shop.

10. Sport
 - Race events that only allow for certain Car Settings to be adjusted have been added.

11. Lobby
 - "Results" button to display the race result after a qualifier or race has been added.

12. Controller
 - Engine startup sound and haptic vibration have been added when changing cars in the "Garage" while using a PlayStation®5 DualSense™ wireless controller.

13. Race Screen
 - Added a "Display Car Info Only" option in the Race Info Display section of Display Settings
 - Added the same option in the Race Info Display section of the replay options available during a replay

Other Improvements and Adjustments​

1. Cars
 - We fixed an issue in which the amount of downforce set would increase if Rear "Type A" parts were attached to the following cars:
 ・Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV GSR '96
 ・Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution V GSR '98
 ・Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI GSR T.M. SCP '99

- We changed the display for the Peugeot L500R Hybrid VGT 2017 to now include the power output from the motor in the vehicle's max power. (This does not affect the vehicle's performance when driving or its Performance Points.)
 - We stabilized how the Dodge SRT Tomahawk Vision Gran Turismo behaves during the rolling start of an online race.

2. Tracks
 - We adjusted the penalty system algorithm at the following two sections on the Daytona International Speedway Road Course:
  ・Pit Lane Exit
  ・Chicane Exit (Turn 11)

3. Steering Controllers
 - We fixed an issue in which the screen would occasionally freeze for 1.5 seconds when using a Fanatec® steering wheel controller.

4. Localization
 - Fixed various text localization issues.

5. Others
 - Various other issues have been addressed.

Popup

It may well be the case that people who invested in these rigs, stick with that setup but there is no denying that VR better emulates the actual experience of being in the car, and because you are experiencing the track in full three-dimensions, you get far more in the way of visual data and clues from such a setup. Surely you don't think race drivers would rather have monitors in their cars instead of windows?

We have stereo vision so that we can judge distance, motion, space and scale. A three monitor setup is like driving with an eye-patch on.

People who take sim racing seriously are obviously chasing the best lap times rather than the outright experience, and three-monitor rigs get the job done while being less likely to cause fatigue than VR. With these absent senses though, like with most video games, we try to grab any information that is available to try to make sense and react to any given stimulus. Don't confuse that with thinking VR, as a concept, is an inferior display interface, because it clearly is not.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Do the penalties apply to Sophy as well for track limits etc. I think it could be really cool but when I saw it racing Lewis Hamilton it was driving over grass, bouncing over corner plates etc.

It got them a good time but I'd never be able to control that and it looked kinda cheap.

Con-Z-epT

Do the penalties apply to Sophy as well for track limits etc. I think it could be really cool but when I saw it racing Lewis Hamilton it was driving over grass, bouncing over corner plates etc.

It got them a good time but I'd never be able to control that and it looked kinda cheap.

Yes, Sophy is subject to the same rules as a human player. But it is very unlikely for it to get a penalty since it was trained to avoid those at all cost. I guess you could force it while pushing the AI car off track in the hope that the penalty would not apply to you like it happens sometimes in Sports Mode.

The video was an early showcase of what might be possible and it's obviously not a very nuanced one. But even then it's completely viable in terms of physics and the limitations of the track.

I hope (have yet to play the new Sophy events) that this integration we get here is far from pushing the limits this crazy.

Nemesisuuu

I'm happy that Grand Valley is coming back but I'm worried about the changes they seem to have made.

In my opinion, Trial Mountain and Deep Forest were both done dirty by GT7.
Visually, they have butchered it IMO, it looks so bland. Iconic blue bridge is gone, the track just looks so empty. Also no grandstands.

Unknown?

Details for Update 1.29​

The following is a list of the main features and adjustments introduced in the latest update for Gran Turismo 7.

Main Features Implemented​

1. Cars
 - The following five new cars have been added:
  ・Citroën DS 21 Pallas '70 (available for purchase at Legend Cars)
  ・Honda RA272 ’65 (available for purchase at Legend Cars)
  ・Italdesign EXENEO Vision Gran Turismo Street Mode
  ・Italdesign EXENEO Vision Gran Turismo Off-road Mode
  ・Porsche 911 Carrera RS (901) '73 (available for purchase at Legend Cars)

2. Tracks
 - The Grand Valley race track comes with four different layouts:
  ・Grand Valley - Highway 1 Reverse
  ・Grand Valley - South
  ・Grand Valley - South Reverse

This track will be available at Collector Level 15.

3. World Circuits
- "Circuit Experience" has been added to the "Grand Valley - Highway 1" track in the Americas section.
- The following new events have been added to World Circuits:
  - World Touring Car 600
  - Gr.1 Prototype Series
  - American Sunday Cup 600
  - Japanese Clubman Cup 550
  - Historic Sports Car Masters

World Touring Car 600 will be available at Collector Level 15; American Sunday Cup 600 will be available after clearing Menu Book No. 39 (Championship: World GT Series) and having watched the ending; Japanese Clubman Cup 550 will be available after starting Menu Book No. 42 (Gr.1 Prototype Series) that unlocks at Collector Level 30; and Historic Sportscar Masters will be available after starting Menu Book No. 46 (Historic Sports Car Masters) that unlocks at Collector Level 29.

・WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca
  - Sunday Cup Classic

The Sunday Cup Classic will be available after reaching Menu Book No. 13 (Try Your Hand at a Mission).

4. PlayStation®VR2
 - The PlayStation®5 console now fully supports PlayStation®VR2. Every game mode (excluding "2P Split Screen"), every online race, and an exclusive VR Showroom mode is available in VR.

5. Gran Turismo Sophy
 - A limited-time "Race Together" event now allows players to challenge the autonomous racing agent Gran Turismo Sophy (GT Sophy). This event is only available on the PlayStation®5 console version. "Race Together" will be available after reaching Collector Level 6 and can be accessed from the special banner at the top right of the World Map screen.

6.Scapes
 - The following functions have been added to Scapes:
  ・Drift Photography
  ・Height-Adjustable Spots
  ・"Height-Adjustable Spots" button on the Scapes home screen
  ・Heat Glow effect

- The Drift Stage and "Move the camera up and down" features have been added to Curation in Scapes.
 - Tutorials for "Drifting" have been added.

7. Brand Central
 - New Museum section for Italdesign has been added for Europe (Italy).
 - New Museum section for Sony AI has been added for Asia-Pacific (Japan).

8. Café
 - The following two new Extra Menus have been added:
  ・Extra Menu No. 16: Collection: Honda Motorsports (Collector Level 47 and above)
  ・Extra Menu No. 17: Collection: Porsche 911 Carrera RS (Collector Level 39 and above)

- There are new sets of conversations with the Car Designers and Characters appearing in the Café. These new conversations can be accessed by changing to the following cars in your "Garage" and speaking with the Characters in the Café.

CAR DESIGNERS
   - Kunihisa Ito
    ・Honda NSX GT500 '08
    ・Mazda 787B '91
    ・Mini Cooper 'S' '65
    ・RE Amemiya FD3S RX-7

- Hikonori Kagurazaka
    ・Aston Martin Vulkan '16
    ・Bugatti Chiron '16
    ・Bugatti Veyron 16.4 '13
    ・Citroën DS 21 Pallas '70

- Hideo Kodama
    ・BMW i3 '15
    ・Ferrari 500 Mondial Pinin Farina Coupe '54
    ・ Plymouth XNR Ghia Roadster '60
    ・Suzuki Swift Sport '17
    ・Toyota Sport 800 '65

- Tom Matano
    ・AMG Mercedes AMG C 63 S '15
    ・AMG 300 SEL 6.8 AMG '71
    ・Honda S660 '15
    ・Lamborghini Aventador LP750-4 SV '15
    ・Mazda Demio XD Touring '15

- Shiro Nakamura
    ・BMW M3 Coupé '07
    ・De Tomaso Pantera '71
    ・Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe '64

- Ed Welburn
    ・Chevrolet Camaro SS '16
    ・Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE Package '18
    ・Chevrolet Corvette C7 ZR1 '19
    ・Pontiac GTO 'The Judge' '69

CHARACTERS
   - Jeremy
    ・Honda RA272 '65
    ・Honda S800 '66
    ・McLaren MP4/4 '88
    ・Porsche 911 Carrera RS (901) '73

9. GT Auto
 - Thirteen new paint colors have been added to the Real Car Paint section of the Paint Shop.

10. Sport
 - Race events that only allow for certain Car Settings to be adjusted have been added.

11. Lobby
 - "Results" button to display the race result after a qualifier or race has been added.

12. Controller
 - Engine startup sound and haptic vibration have been added when changing cars in the "Garage" while using a PlayStation®5 DualSense™ wireless controller.

13. Race Screen
 - Added a "Display Car Info Only" option in the Race Info Display section of Display Settings
 - Added the same option in the Race Info Display section of the replay options available during a replay

Other Improvements and Adjustments​

1. Cars
 - We fixed an issue in which the amount of downforce set would increase if Rear "Type A" parts were attached to the following cars:
 ・Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV GSR '96
 ・Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution V GSR '98
 ・Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI GSR T.M. SCP '99

- We changed the display for the Peugeot L500R Hybrid VGT 2017 to now include the power output from the motor in the vehicle's max power. (This does not affect the vehicle's performance when driving or its Performance Points.)
 - We stabilized how the Dodge SRT Tomahawk Vision Gran Turismo behaves during the rolling start of an online race.

2. Tracks
 - We adjusted the penalty system algorithm at the following two sections on the Daytona International Speedway Road Course:
  ・Pit Lane Exit
  ・Chicane Exit (Turn 11)

3. Steering Controllers
 - We fixed an issue in which the screen would occasionally freeze for 1.5 seconds when using a Fanatec® steering wheel controller.

4. Localization
 - Fixed various text localization issues.

5. Others
 - Various other issues have been addressed.
Wow not only what we already knew but more books for the cafe! Also being able to talk to designers about cars they made is really cool!!

Con-Z-epT

Wow not only what we already knew but more books for the cafe! Also being able to talk to designers about cars they made is really cool!!

Sadly these are just 'Extra Menus' which means they are only for collecting cars and don't feature specific events.

The patch notes don't mention this but there have been some significant changes in terms of BoP. Some META cars got nerfed.

Unknown?

Sadly these are just 'Extra Menus' which means they are only for collecting cars and don't feature specific events.

The patch notes don't mention this but there have been some significant changes in terms of BoP. Some META cars got nerfed.
Oh well I haven't gotten there yet so I didn't know it was only about buying the cars. Still cool that they added some extra events too. Quite a bit more than I expected.

Con-Z-epT

Oh well I haven't gotten there yet so I didn't know it was only about buying the cars. Still cool that they added some extra events too. Quite a bit more than I expected.

Yes, best update so far in terms of content and many surprises.

Just look if it mentions 'Extra' for the menu, then you know how to differentiate them.

Top Bottom