• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 Update 1.31 Details: 120Hz + VRR, New Cars, Events, Track Layouts, Physics Changes, and More

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The full details of Gran Turismo 7 Update 1.31 update have leaked from Japan, and it’s a big one. Although it might not have the major headline features we saw in the last update, 1.31 still brings a wide variety of changes and new content.

GT7 Update 1.31 will be available as a free download starting on March 30 at 06:00 UTC.

There’s a lot to cover, so let’s dig in:

Table of Contents​

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
120 fps is huge. Im surprised they put up HFW on PS Extra last month but not GT7 which launched just a month later.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Dark Souls Gamer GIF by BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
120 fps is huge. Im surprised they put up HFW on PS Extra last month but not GT7 which launched just a month later.
HFW was due to the DLC dropping soon.

I bet GT7 will go up there soon as well, especially as they push more PSVR2. Once played in VR, I can never go back to flat/2D.

They wouldn't want to give it away for ""free"" when the movie is coming out soon. It makes sense.
Another good point as well. I don't even mind, keep selling, we are getting a ton of free content every month since launch.

Last edited:
Gt7 is the real deal. My only complaints are that I'd like more music tracks added and I wish the 3d audio was a but better as well as having a little more omph to the dualsense. They really hyped those 2 features and neither are as well implemented as a game like Returnal.

Don't get me wrong they're decent but they should've been better. Feels a little bit like they marketed those features because they are buzzwords/selling points rather than being actually great.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Gt7 is the real deal. My only complaints are that I'd like more music tracks added and I wish the 3d audio was a but better as well as having a little more omph to the dualsense. They really hyped those 2 features and neither are as well implemented as a game like Returnal.

Don't get me wrong they're decent but they should've been better. Feels a little bit like they marketed those features because they are buzzwords/selling points rather than being actually great.
The DualSense did have crazy oomf when the game first came out. I remember the ABS systems beating the shit out of the left trigger. They scaled it back some (intensity wise), but also tuned the profiles better where now you can feel when the tires start to lose grip, etc..

I wish they would allow us to turn off certain songs for the menu music, not just BMG. I keep race BMG off anyhow, but would like to X out certain menu songs that just well, annoy me more than entertain me, lol.

Mr Moose

wonder if its actually 120 fps or just letting the game run unlocked

kinda bet its just letting the game run uncapped
Looks like unlocked.

120Hz and Variable Refresh Rate (VRR)​

Gran Turismo 7 can now be played at 120Hz with a variable refresh rate (VRR) on the PlayStation 5 when connected to a compatible display. Although this functionality will only be available to a small number of players with high-end TVs, it is a significant technical development which will be closely analyzed over the coming days and weeks.

Until now, Gran Turismo 7 has operated at a maximum of 60Hz on the PlayStation 5, so the 120Hz option is a major change along with VRR. By allowing the display to match the game’s frame-rate in real time, variable refresh rates eliminate “screen tearing” effects to provide a strikingly smooth gameplay experience.

kyliethicc

Looks like unlocked.

120Hz and Variable Refresh Rate (VRR)​

Gran Turismo 7 can now be played at 120Hz with a variable refresh rate (VRR) on the PlayStation 5 when connected to a compatible display. Although this functionality will only be available to a small number of players with high-end TVs, it is a significant technical development which will be closely analyzed over the coming days and weeks.

Until now, Gran Turismo 7 has operated at a maximum of 60Hz on the PlayStation 5, so the 120Hz option is a major change along with VRR. By allowing the display to match the game’s frame-rate in real time, variable refresh rates eliminate “screen tearing” effects to provide a strikingly smooth gameplay experience.
hard to know from the GTplanet article what exactly the patch notes say, esp since its being translated from japanese

I'm thinking it's the latter with VRR, which is how it's been with a lot of 120Hz games this gen.
yeah I suspect all Kaz will do is just unlock the game's current 60 hz mode

the specific mention of VRR implies its just a variable framerate. so it'll be same 2160p, but like ~ 60-80 hz avg

Mr Moose

hard to know from the GTplanet article what exactly the patch notes say, esp since its being translated from japanese

yeah I suspect all Kaz will do is just unlock the game's current 60 hz mode

the specific mention of VRR implies its just a variable framerate. so it'll be same 2160p, but like ~ 60-80 hz avg
6. ディスプレイ設定
-120HzおよびVRR (可変リフレッシュレート)に対応しました。
対応機器の設定などの詳細は下記のページをご覧ください。

Skifi28

Who reckons PD are feverishly working on an in-game RT mode in anticipation of the next Forza? 😂
That would probably blow my tiny little mind in VR.
In cockpit view, you wouldn't be able to notice in in 95% of your time driving so it wouldn't be worth whatever you would have to sacrifice.

CamHostage

Who reckons PD are feverishly working on an in-game RT mode in anticipation of the next Forza? 😂

I've mentioned before that yeah, I'm still a little surprised some form of in-game raytracing options haven't been part of a patch or rumor.

GT7 might not have the latitude to do it great (PD's current replay-only RT features stutter even at only 30FPS, i don't know that they could optimize or cut it down enough to be useful in play,) but it's certainly a feature in demand if only to see what's possible. It's a good feature to explore as an aftermarket enhancement, and it would be fun to see the difference of implementation against the all-new Forza. (In previews, Forza makes some smart limitations with its RT that generally apply to racers on this hardware gen, so itd be interesting to see where this brand new next-gen engine pays off versus where Turn 10 just did good general tech work. )

...I don't know that GT7 RT would be good for VR Mode though? They can't get it 100% smooth in replay, VR is a ways away in challenge level.

Last edited:

Markio128

In cockpit view, you wouldn't be able to notice in in 95% of your time driving so it wouldn't be worth whatever you would have to sacrifice.
I’m thinking more specific to VR mode - I’m always glancing at cars when they are beside me, so to be able to see a reflection of my own car on theirs would be really cool. I do very much doubt it, but we can dream.

Mung

That would probably blow my tiny little mind in VR.
Doubt it to be honest. GT7 has some of the best lighting in the industry and wouldn't benefit massively from the type of ray tracing implementations that are achievable on ps5 at 60fps, aside from ticking a box. Besides, things like VR mode etc are exponentially more significant, which they have of course over delivered on, for free too.

Last edited:

Markio128

Plenty of people have said they've been able to increase their laps times slightly in VR, but that's mostly from hardcore sim racers.
I’ve found that VR helps me a lot with determining the distance between my car and the opponents, as well as Improving my speed through corners. I seem to hit more kerbs on the way out of a corner. On the flip side, I feel the pressure much more when I play online and there is an opponent right behind me, purely because it’s so much easier to check the mirrors.

Top Bottom