• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 Wins DICE Awards Racing Game of the Year

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
image-1-46.jpg

Gran Turismo 7 has picked up another prestigious gaming award, this time earning recognition from the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences (AIAS) as its racing game of the year in the annual DICE Awards.

It’s the third time that Gran Turismo has taken the category win, with the first Gran Turismo winning in 1998 and Gran Turismo 3victorious in 2001. Every main GT game, including Sport, has been nominated for the category with the extraordinary exception of Gran Turismo 4.

The award marks the end of a particularly busy week for GT7, with the most recent update bringing PlayStation VR2 support, a trial of the advanced GT Sophy AI, and the return of fan-favorite circuit Grand Valley. It is of course only just over a week until the game’s first anniversary too.

Kazunori Yamauchi wasn’t available to pick up the trophy in person at the awards event, this year held at the new Resorts World Las Vegas location, with the award collected on his behalf.

Crayon

I find it hard to put my finger on why it's so good but sure enough it feels really fresh and it's fun. Something about the progression and that minimal human touch with the little talking stock photo people. "So that is the history of compact sport models so now go get me three." Somehow it's just enough context to motivate? Idk it's very subtle but most people seem to pick it up and have fun with those menus that are really linear and restrictive. I love it.

I wouldn't have awarded a game that had a very busted online for months after launch, but again competition hasn't been too fierce this year. I liked the new Need For Speed but it's also a more limited experience in many ways.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I find it hard to put my finger on why it's so good but sure enough it feels really fresh and it's fun. Something about the progression and that minimal human touch with the little talking stock photo people. "So that is the history of compact sport models so now go get me three." Somehow it's just enough context to motivate? Idk it's very subtle but most people seem to pick it up and have fun with those menus that are really linear and restrictive. I love it.
Cafe mode is beautiful

And it's a great game all around so classy

Last edited:
I really enjoy this game. I play it every day, think it looks amazing. But it's not the best GT game ever, maybe with VR it is. But GT4 stays top of them all.

Now that is out of the way, I hope Kaz keeps making his unique games, even though it's not really what the playerbase will want at any given time, his game have passion, that is gone from the gaming industry. I'd rate GT7 a solid 8/10 on 2D. Waiting for my VR purchase...

nowhat

I don't recall it being busted for months after launch either. I do recall it was down for like 30 hours shortly after release, and a shit storm over microtransactions and "grind". But that all died off like a patch or month later or something like that.
It was down for 30 hours or something like that, PD offered players some credits (was it like 1M? quite substantial at any rate) to apologize and to make up for the microtransaction debacle. The outrage died quite quickly after that. There's an argument to be made as to why the game shouldn't be always online, but as for the grind, FFS. It's a GT game. The grind was always a part (some might even argue an essential part) of the experience.

Crayon

It was down for 30 hours or something like that, PD offered players some credits (was it like 1M? quite substantial at any rate) to apologize and to make up for the microtransaction debacle. The outrage died quite quickly after that. There's an argument to be made as to why the game shouldn't be always online, but as for the grind, FFS. It's a GT game. The grind was always a part (some might even argue an essential part) of the experience.

Grinding was indeed always there. There was always some cars taht were ridiculous prices and the best way to get money was two hour endurance races lol.

Kvally

Banned
The grind has always been there, but this grind was a bit excessive at first release in GT7. I can't find the post at GT Planet right now, but they had a chart that compared grinds from previous GT's, and in some cases, to get similarly priced cars, you had to race like 10 times longer to obtain the similar amount. It was to the effect that you had to race 20 hours to obtain a certain car in a previous GT, to 200 hours to obtain it in GT7. That is in generic terms, but the difference was staggering. But PD did alter it shortly after the complaints.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
how is this possible?. I hear it sucks. just like all racing games.
Huh? It has issues but it doesn’t suck not even close. I think fanboys try to make it more than it is graphically and that’s what gets the contrary replies buts it’s still GT.

Learn what a circle jerk is.

Oh great, the guy that was bitching an moaning on the GT7 OT is now here as well. You aint circlejerking, you are beating a dead horse. The other guys didnt even know, you came in 2 hours late to the party for your circle jerk moment.

Lasha

Oh great, the guy that was bitching an moaning on the GT7 OT is now here as well. You aint circlejerking, you are beating a dead horse. The other guys didnt even know, you came in 2 hours late to the party for your circle jerk moment.

Lol what? I wasn't bitching and moaning wtf are you on about? I like GT7. I just think the offline stuff is stupid. Grow up.

Robb

Gold Member
Forza Horizon won the previous award iirc, and Forza Motorsport will most likely win the next one. Would be more interesting to see a year when both franchises release simultaneously.

Doesn’t feel like they have much competition otherwise.

begotten

I've been gaming for over 30 years and I know my tastes. Racing games and VR have just never interested me whatsoever but there's something about GT7 & VR that's suddenly appealing and I don't know why.

I think I'll have to get both the game and system one day if there's ever a good sale on.

Top Bottom