• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Granblue Fantasy: Relink and Versus Official PlayStation Magazine UK preview

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
https://gematsu.com/2019/05/granblu...ation-magazine-uk-preview-information-tidbits
Granblue-Fantasy-Relink-OPM-UK_05-07-19.jpg

Granblue Fantasy: Relink

• While Platinum Games left the project earlier in 2019, the bulk of what it built remains, including the level layout, character animation, and fighting systems.
  • Each character has their own fighting style and is tied to a certain weapon or weapon type.
  • The game progresses in a mostly linear fashion, but there will be additional activities. “You can pick up side-quests from the towns you visit along the way, and come and go between them as you please,” according to director Tetsuya Fukuhara.
  • Towns also act as lobbies where you can team up with other players online and take on missions. (You can also play solo, with the rest of the four-person party being AI-controlled.)
  • Regarding characters, Fukuhara said, “We know there are many fan favorites, so we’ll try to fit in as many as we reasonably can. It’s not possible to match the roster size of the original game, of course, and the development team has its hands full deciding who makes the final cut.”
Granblue Fantasy: Versus

• Regarding eSports, Fukuhara said, “Many people think of fighting games when they hear ‘eSports,’ and that’s another genre we want to take a stab at. When the time comes to hold [Granblue Fantasy] Versus tournaments, we’ll be sure to deliver something great for fans of Granblue, eSports enthusiasts, and spectators alike.”
  • Regarding characters, Fukuhara said, “”We consulted with Arc System Works to see how they decided on which characters to include in the initial releases of Guilty Gear and BlazBlue… Great care is being taken to model every character’s movesets and animations to match with their originals and bring them to life.”
  • While Granblue Fantasy Versus will hinge around a weapons-based fighting system, “right now the battle system is completely different [from Arc System Works fighting games like Guilty Gear and BlazBlue],” according to Fukuhara. “It’s much slower compared to Guilty Gear and BlazBlue… Combos are simplified, and all special moves can be activated at the press of a button in Versus. I think this simple but deep system will allow for interesting strategies.”
  • There will be an story mode with an original story. “A very interesting ending is waiting,” Fukuhara teased.

Mista

Banned
Was just writing this thank you Danjin!
I’m so hyped for Relink. The art direction and combat is my cup of tea. Glad that PG work isn't going to get scrapped

Last edited:

Danjin44

Was just writing this thank you Danjin!
I’m so hyped for Relink. The art direction and combat is my cup of tea. Glad that PG work is going to get scrapped
Same, I absolutely loving the visual design for this game.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I WANT SOME FUCKING DRAPHS IN THIS GODDAMN IT
DANCHOU IS BORING! BORING!
I can't believe this game is still being worked on at this point I'm willing to bet it will come out on Ps5 with altered costumes for 90% of the cast.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Both are looking really solid, and my interest is based 100% onthe games. I never even heard of the anime prior to the games being announced.

dottme

I’m really hype for relink. It looks great and the few gameplay videos were looking really good.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Fully expecting censorship from Sony in this. Which is disappointing as I was so excited for this game when it was announced.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Glad the Platinum Games stuff wasn't scrapped but is being built upon. Hope it's as awesome as the last trailer made it look. Probably not a very open/RPG-like game by the sounds of it. Maybe it's gonna be a lot like The Last Story? Would be great.

Last edited:

Pejo

Can't wait to see full character lists for both games. My only hope is that Rosetta makes it in to ReLink. I thinks she's got a good shot.

xGreir

I thought Re:Link was erased seeing how the developers behind it left the game :lollipop_downcast_sweat:

That's some good news, but I'm surprised... Isn't it a bit... "conflictive" using all the work from Platinum without them? And I just don't mean about the rights, I'm talking about if they can be up to the great work that Platinum did.

Is it even good that they are still working in the game? It can degenerate into something else totally underwhelming

I thought Re:Link was erased seeing how the developers behind it left the game :lollipop_downcast_sweat:

That's some good news, but I'm surprised... Isn't it a bit... "conflictive" using all the work from Platinum without them? And I just don't mean about the rights, I'm talking about if they can be up to the great work that Platinum did.

Is it even good that they are still working in the game? It can degenerate into something else totally underwhelming
The news only said "conclusion of the development contract." Basically it seems CyGames hired Platinum to make it, then once they did CyGames took over polishing/optimization to finish it. It's a very odd situation.

Last edited:

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
The news only said "conclusion of the development contract." Basically it seems CyGames hired Platinum to make it, then once they did CyGames took over polishing/optimization to finish it. It's a very odd situation.
It was very weird. Both CyGames and Platinum put out these damage control statements saying that Platinum is no longer working on the game but development will continue.

On the same day, the Platinum logo was removed from the game’s website.

We might never get the whole story, but it’s safe to say that this wasn’t simply a case of CyGames getting what they wanted from their contractors as planned.

MagnesG

Banned
I watched 2-3 hour stream of Relink, some of it being 4 char. roaming on dungeon then fighting a giant-ass boss. I'm hoping the gameplay will be good and properly thought-out, my impression diminish a bit when I saw it's the usual break system and the boss being hp sponge. Beautiful game though.

Danjin44

I watched 2-3 hour stream of Relink, some of it being 4 char. roaming on dungeon then fighting a giant-ass boss. I'm hoping the gameplay will be good and properly thought-out, my impression diminish a bit when I saw it's the usual break system and the boss being hp sponge. Beautiful game though.
We still dont know much about the combat system of this game, there might be way buff yourself or debuff bosses or it might have system similar to Vesperia, that you can cook food to give you temporary buffs before going to battle.

It was very weird. Both CyGames and Platinum put out these damage control statements saying that Platinum is no longer working on the game but development will continue.

On the same day, the Platinum logo was removed from the game’s website.

We might never get the whole story, but it’s safe to say that this wasn’t simply a case of CyGames getting what they wanted from their contractors as planned.
I wouldn't say it's safe to say that given they're keeping Platinum's "level layout, character animation, and fighting systems", with fighting systems being Platinum's main trait, so that makes it sound like they were happy with most of Platinum's work. Given Platinum was listed as a co-developer and CyGames confirmed in March they turned the internal team into a full development team after removing Platinum, I'm thinking Platinum might have been removed in favor of internal development for long time support and DLC reasons (CyGames is a mobile/GaaS company after all, and Platinum isn't), and maybe even future sequels as Platinum has already created the gameplay system for them to work with. We will see though.

Edit: I keep forgetting online co-op. If it's a "not getting what they wanted" issue that would be it if they were happy with gameplay, animations, and level design. Would make sense to develop online internally without Platinum.

We still dont know much about the combat system of this game, there might be way buff yourself or debuff bosses or it might have system similar to Vesperia, that you can cook food to give you temporary buffs before going to battle.
That's the thing about RPG's, sometimes stuff can be a health spoonge, or sometimes you can find the right combinations to kill them in seconds, not to mention level factors.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I’m really looking forward both of these so it’s always good to hear updates. Hopefully we get more info or footage at e3 as well.

MagnesG

Banned
I hope so, even then personally I will be not so eager if that's the kind of system they will be going for, that just which means the selling point would be the everything else. Basically still I'm excited, but cautious. A beautiful rendered game most of time will have bad system if they're not enthusiastically introduced from the start. Maybe it's not the selling point. Maybe it will be the plot, or animu tropes and fanservices (people dig it), or just a high tech beautiful game. At the end the battle system being serviceable is okay I guess, I mean people flock to all those bad ass moves more than the notion of sitting for long period action RPG.

Danjin44

I hope so, even then personally I will be not so eager if that's the kind of system they will be going for, that just which means the selling point would be the everything else. Basically still I'm excited, but cautious. A beautiful rendered game most of time will have bad system if they're not enthusiastically introduced from the start. Maybe it's not the selling point. Maybe it will be the plot, or animu tropes and fanservices (people dig it), or just a high tech beautiful game. At the end the battle system being serviceable is okay I guess, I mean people flock to all those bad ass moves more than the notion of sitting for long period action RPG.
I personally trust Platinum Games to give me engaging combat system.

Mista

Banned
Granblue Fantasy: Versus Closed Beta Announced for May 31st

Sign-ups are currently available – just head here by May 24th, 11 PM PT. Participants will be announced on May 28th.

The closed beta test has specific windows during which players can actually try the game. They are as follows:

• May 31 from 2:00 a.m. PT / 9:00 a.m. GMT to 7:00 a.m. PT / 2:00 p.m. GMT
  • May 31 from 6:00 p.m. PT / June 1 from 1:00 a.m. GMT to 11:00 p.m. PT / 6:00 a.m. GMT
  • June 1 from 9:00 a.m. PT / 4:00 p.m. GMT to 2:00 p.m. PT / 9:00 p.m. GMT

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Granblue Fantasy: Versus Closed Beta Announced for May 31st

Sign-ups are currently available – just head here by May 24th, 11 PM PT. Participants will be announced on May 28th.

The closed beta test has specific windows during which players can actually try the game. They are as follows:

• May 31 from 2:00 a.m. PT / 9:00 a.m. GMT to 7:00 a.m. PT / 2:00 p.m. GMT
  • May 31 from 6:00 p.m. PT / June 1 from 1:00 a.m. GMT to 11:00 p.m. PT / 6:00 a.m. GMT
  • June 1 from 9:00 a.m. PT / 4:00 p.m. GMT to 2:00 p.m. PT / 9:00 p.m. GMT
I just signed up. Hope this game is as good as it looks!

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Two more characters! I like what I see. Good ol' Arc System Works.

Ferry

Reminds me of Eltnum from Melty Blood / Under-Night or Axl from GG.

Lancelot

Another rushdown character, reminiscent of GG's Leo Whitefang.

Pejo

Any of you guys get into the the beta? I pissed around for a few hours this past weekend. It was pretty fun. Definitely felt more entry level than some of ASW's other games, but that's not bad. I tried all of the characters but mostly settled on Lancelot. Matches were fast but the way they made you exit to lobby to rematch was a real bummer.

Top Bottom