• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto 5 denies Saints Row No.1 in August | European Monthly Charts (HW down 19% YoY, SW down 12.4%)

reksveks

Software

Saints Row has spent much of its life living in the shadow of the GTA series, so it's somewhat inevitable that the latest game in the series -- simply titled Saints Row -- narrowly lost out to GTA 5 in the European August charts.

Despite the arrival of Saints Row, plus a number of other titles such as Sony's Spider-Man Remastered on PC (No.6) and Sega's Two Point Campus (No.16), game sales were down 12.4% compared with the same period in 2021.

The biggest game of August 2021 was also Grand Theft Auto 5.

Overall, 7.7 million video games (digital and physical) were sold across tracked European territories. GTA 5 was the biggest digital seller, while Nintendo Switch Sports was the best-selling physical game (note: Nintendo does not share digital data with the charts company). 3.2 million game sales were via physical stores during August.

One game that doubled in sales during August (compared with July) was Gran Turismo 7. This was due to retail promotions (particularly the boxed version of the game) and an increase in PS5 console stock.

Hardware

Nintendo Switch keeps ahead of PlayStation in Europe

Across tracked European markets, 310,000 games consoles were sold last month, narrowly led by Nintendo Switch. Note: Major European markets Germany and UK are missing from this data. For details on the UK console market, click here.

Overall, this represents a 19% drop in console sales compared with August 2021.

PS5 had its second-best month after June, with stock levels continuing to be significantly higher than what the machine was managing during the first quarter of the year. Meanwhile, it was the fourth best month for the Xbox Series S and X platforms.

Accessories

Over in accessories, this market continues to be led by the popular PS5 DualSense controller. 1.18 million add-on products were sold across Europe last month, a decline of 9% over the same period in 2021.

0.99 million points/wallet cards were also sold across tracked markets, a decline of -5% compared with August 2021.

Games Chart

European GSD August 2022 Top 20 (Digital + Physical)​

PositionTitle
1Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
2Saints Row (Deep Silver)
3FIFA 22 (EA)
4F1 22 (EA/Codemasters)
5Gran Turismo 7 (Sony)
6Spider-Man Remastered (Sony)
7Nintendo Switch Sports (Nintendo)*
8Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)*
9Horizon: Forbidden West (Sony)
10LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Warner Bros)
11Far Cry 6 (Ubisoft)
12Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
13The Sims 4 (EA)
14Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition (Mojang/Nintendo)
15Dishonored (Bethesda)
16Two Point Campus (Sega)
17Elden Ring (Bandai Namco)
18Grand Theft Auto Online (Rockstar)
19Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (Nintendo)*
20Mario Strikers: Battle League Football (Nintendo)*

Summary and Chart incoming
- 2nd biggest month for PS5 (June #1)
- #4 best month for Xbox Series S and X
- GTA number 1 agaiin
- SW down 12.4%, HW down 19%, points/cards down 5% YoY

If someone can find april 2021 numbers for eu; i will be grateful.

EU charts
ECjP8Jj.png

UK Charts
vQvQv5z.png

Last edited:

jm89

I'm serious, who buys GTA 5 today, who didn't buy it in the last decade? Can't be that many children becoming teenagers that it's on top of the charts all the time.
Blame YouTubers like caylus creating an entire new generation of GTA5 customers. Not just teenagers either.

Belthazar

I'm serious, who still buys GTA 5 today, who didn't buy it in the last decade? Can't be that many children becoming teenagers that it's on top of the charts all the time.

People buy it for the online credits that come with each copy, A LOT of those ridiculously large sales for GTA V are due to that, not people that want the copy to play

reksveks

Those are like the 2 biggest markets in Europe for hardware sales.
They are. UK is still down YoY. DE is a blackbox sadly until the annual DACH reports.

August 2022: 125k across all 3
August 2021: 151.5k across all 3

Sadly don't have a good idea about the splits

Lady Jane

Banned
I'm serious, who still buys GTA 5 today, who didn't buy it in the last decade? Can't be that many children becoming teenagers that it's on top of the charts all the time.

It’s because GTA V is the game to get when someone gets a new console.

Kupfer

It’s because GTA V is the game to get when someone gets a new console.
But the game is old, almost a decade old.
Only the graphics are reasonably okay, thanks to the repeated refreshes. Unlike 2013, when the game looked really good on the old consoles, I don't understand the hype in 2022. Even gameplay and physics are toned down compared to the predecessor.

Last edited:
it's insane how GTA V is still selling so well after 9 years.

seems like we'll only be getting a GTA game every decade now. V = 2013, VI = 2024/2025, VII = 2035/2036

:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Lupin25

But the game is old, almost a decade old.
Only the graphics are reasonably okay, thanks to the repeated refreshes. Unlike 2013, when the game looked really good on the old consoles, I don't understand the hype in 2022. Even gameplay and physics are toned down compared to the predecessor.

But “GTA Online” has become the most influential GAAS game there is besides Fortnite.

There’s a reason every publisher is looking to successfully copy this model. They can essentially thrive off of fewer IP.

Nautilus

Banned
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is at 19th place without digital and without Germany which is arguably one of the biggest european matkets for Nintendo.

XC 3 is gonna be huge, I tell you!

Wonder if PS5 would be #1 on hardware with the UK and Germany, since we at least know it was the best selling console in the UK. Not sure about Germany though.

reksveks

Wonder if PS5 would be #1 on hardware with the UK and Germany, since we at least know it was the best selling console in the UK. Not sure about Germany though.
Yeah, DE is completely unknown but the monthly SW charts do allude to a decent drop aka a decent amount of ps5 sold.

Just cause I wasn't sure how big DE/UK was relative to the rest of the EU markets
Following table from the CESA 2021 report courtesy from IBF

USCanadaUKFranceGermanySpainItalyNordic RegionBenelux Region
Nintendo Switch7,6107101,2201,0301,230600710240280
PS54,2804801,150670740290320330300
PS4600601309010050702020
Xbox Series X/S3,730310850170230701008080
Xbox One10--10-----
Total16,2201,5603,3501,9602,3001,0101,200670680

UK+DE = 5650 for the year 2021
rest of EU = 5520 for the year 2021

All according to CESA.

Last edited:

Kupfer

But “GTA Online” has become the most influential GAAS game there is besides Fortnite.

There’s a reason every publisher is looking to successfully copy this model. They can essentially thrive off of fewer IP.
I know but my brain just won't get it.

Top Bottom