• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto 5 PS5 Version Gameplay - Peformance RT

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Today I tried the PS5 version of GTA:O and this is it's best (30fps) RT mode:
azWnApS.jpg

What is this? No trees, no white car I parked there, wrong/no lights from the windows of the building in RT-reflection.

Jesus. Ray tracing ≠ reflections.

Banned
So Rockstar is trying to screw with me stupid boy and implementing reflections in fidelity mode to make me think they are RT reflections?

the game has a reflection probe on cars creating real time cubemaps of a simplified version of the environment. (this is very common for racing games for example, almost every racing game does this for car reflections)

the reflections in GTA5 are really well made, but what you see here is basically the same as it would look on PC.

the game makes also use of really detailed planar reflections in select scenes (the car dealership's floor for example) and one of the skyscapers also had a really low resolution render to texture solution I think

Last edited:

Kupfer

the game has a reflection probe on cars creating real time cubemaps of a simplified version of the environment. (this is very common for racing games for example, almost every racing game does this for car reflections)

the reflections in GTA5 are really well made, but what you see here is basically the same as it would look on PC.

the game makes also use of really detailed planar reflections in select scenes (the car dealership's floor for example) and one of the skyscapers also had a really low resolution render to texture solution I think
Thanks for the explanation. That makes a lot more sense. And only makes the "next-gen" version more ridiculous to me.

Rockstar is screwing console players for almost a decade now. Don't feel guilty. Just bend over.
Uninstalled already and won't buy the upgrade. Was just curious.

Last edited:

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
2022, 9th gen, a ps3 game, 30fps in 4k

Wonderful
Except it's not. It's a 1080p/30fps PS4 Remaster (which had a ton of visual improvements over the PS360 original) at 4k/30fps with RT or 1440p/60fps with RT with much better shadows, draw distances and more pedestrians / traffic. It looks phenomenal for it's age. HDR is a game changer for this game too.

Let me guess it's PC gamers mad / trolling about this rofl.

Last edited:
"Performance: 1440p at 60fps"

Bruh, I can play this game at 4k with 60fps using a RTX 3050 and an old Core i3 8100 (8 gbs of system memory); That is horrible!

What visual settings is the performance mode using?

The setting is Ultra and even above Ultra in some instances... in every mode.

I doubt you can do 2160p/60 at Ultra with a 3050

Achillias

Anyway. I'm happy that I've paid €19,99 for it. I can see why Rockstar charged money for this. The amount of remodeling (look inside the car cockpit), buildings, environment takes a lot of time and work. I still can't believe that there are people that can't see the difference between the old gen and enhanced 4K version. It's day and night. Really enjoying it. The HDR is also done very well.

Last edited:

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I see the game is 19€ on Xbox wasn't it 10€ on PS5?
I'm confused over here.
I have the game in both xbox and playstation librairies.

For my XSX the store is asking for $24.99 (Canada), I guess that's because my GTA in the librairy is from my 360 days.

However Sony gladly gives me a free upgrade since my GTA game was on PS4. I'm currently downloading that from their PS5 news page but it still says PS4 on the upper left square...

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Where are people even buying this? It doesn't seem to exist on the PS Store here in Sweden, just the PS4 version.

(Most likely not getting it, was just curious what the price would be here.)

Last edited:
The setting is Ultra and even above Ultra in some instances... in every mode.

I doubt you can do 2160p/60 at Ultra with a 3050
GQFpv81.jpg

The PC version looks objectively better than the fidelity mode in some scenarios.

So again, what visual settings is the performance mode (lesser setting) using? My card can't do ultra but it can run higher settings than the PS4, and do it at 4k 60 with texture filtering.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
Consider how long they have been milking GTA5 in all the worst ways. The only expectation for GTA6 is an experience geared toward making money off micro transactions.

GTA5 one of the biggest sprawling open worlds, no DLC but lots of MTX
RDR2 one of the biggest sprawling open worlds, no DLC but lots of MTX
GTA6 = Fuck you give me money

The_hunter

The dualsense is one of the best implementations I've played.

Went to a strip club, sadly the strippers are still low res. The other thing that drives me mad is the bushes are basically concrete walls that you can't drive trough, hard to get used to that after modern games. The main characters look great. Night time looks great.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
does this pos requires rockstar social account like on pc ?
And what is the story download size ?

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Playing on PS5 Performance RT.. I have a Sony X9000H.. What the fuck HDR settings do I use.. It looks great but very bright, the paper white default is like 310.. White looks a little blown out so I'm not sure what would be optimal. It does my head in when you have to dial in these HDR settings.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Playing on PS5 Performance RT.. I have a Sony X9000H.. What the fuck HDR settings do I use.. It looks great but very bright, the paper white default is like 310.. White looks a little blown out so I'm not sure what would be optimal. It does my head in when you have to dial in these HDR settings.
There is possibly no way to set up this correctly without seeing what numbers game wants to output and what numbers your tv can output.
Like setting pc game settings without a frame counter....

good vid here

I run the game maxed out on pc and I'd say the performance RT on PS5 looks better all around. The raytraced shadows add real depth to the city and it doesn't look remotely blurry to me... unless you mean with DoF effects on? volumetric clouds look fantastic too, as well as some other nice little effects added. It's a richer presentation overall.

no amount of tweaking and modding on PC ever solved the issues I had with shadows, texture lod and shimmering on transparencies (even with supersampling)
The performance rt mode is by far the worst looking of the three. The res is low and the texture filtering is non existent

Not on performance mode, the detail in the draw distance is utter wank, even with DoF turned off its blurry. Drive down the highway towards the desert and even the hills are blurry. Im enjoying it a lot and im happy with upgrade personally but dont make false claims.
Yeah that's the biggest bummer for me. Performance mode lods suck. Driving around looking at the mountains and they look so low res

Cohetedor

Went to a strip club, sadly the strippers are still low res. The other thing that drives me mad is the bushes are basically concrete walls that you can't drive trough, hard to get used to that after modern games. The main characters look great. Night time looks great.

For a second I thought you were still referring to the strippers with your second point.

Markio128

I wondered which bushes you were going on about there.
shocked double take GIF

Justin9mm

There is possibly no way to set up this correctly without seeing what numbers game wants to output and what numbers your tv can output.
Like setting pc game settings without a frame counter....

good vid here

This has helped me a lot! Thanks!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Anyone actually thinks the campaign is worth replaying? I only played it once on 360 and it was.... okish.
Did they removed music and stuff like they did with gta 4 ?
Is physical version incoming ?

Duchess

Where are people even buying this? It doesn't seem to exist on the PS Store here in Sweden, just the PS4 version.
Here in the UK, I can only see it on the store on the PS5 console itself. Neither the web store nor the store on the PlayStation app list it.

So, check via your PS5. If you have one :)

Shakka43

The haptics are great, you can feel the raindrops, also the different ground conditions when driving. But the adaptive triggers implementation is a little disappointing as it is a little too weak on the right trigger and doesn't have any difference between shooting and driving.

Justin9mm

Anyone actually thinks the campaign is worth replaying? I only played it once on 360 and it was.... okish.
Did they removed music and stuff like they did with gta 4 ?
Is physical version incoming ?
I personally think it's a good campaign to warrant a replay especially this new version, I forgot how funny and silly it was.

I'm playing Performance RT on PS5. In my mind I'm thinking, they don't make games like this anymore, yeah the character and asset models still look a little dated but the enhanced version does a good job of letting me forget about that. It's a much nicer overall presentation. For $15 AUD.. It was cheap enough to add to my collection.

Physical version coming in May I think but it's going to be higher price.

Last edited:
Top Bottom