• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto 5 PS5 Version Gameplay - Peformance RT

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I’ll probably pick this up and the inevitable RDR2 upgrade as well. Played the games to death but just want to play about in those worlds again probably at some stage. Masterpieces.

posts i dont even care GIF

Epic levels of whining and bitching in this thread.

Did nit know the hate for Rockstar was so severe?
It's mostly the fact that Rockstar is continuing to sell us a game from 2013 over and over again without any new content and honestly minimal upgrades.

The game does look great on PS5, and I can't complain too much at the $10 but it's still a minimal effort port. That combined with the monstrosity that was the Definitive Edition ports and Rockstar aren't doing great.

For me personally Rockstar just isn't what it used to be. III/VC/SA were amazing and then IV for me personally is a masterpiece so that combined with the fact that IV and RDR had some of the best story DLC of all time just makes GTA V and modern Rockstar a disappointment.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
As someone who never spend a penny on this game until now $20 for this feels like a steal and I'm loving it

Stooky

It's mostly the fact that Rockstar is continuing to sell us a game from 2013 over and over again without any new content and honestly minimal upgrades.

The game does look great on PS5, and I can't complain too much at the $10 but it's still a minimal effort port. That combined with the monstrosity that was the Definitive Edition ports and Rockstar aren't doing great.

For me personally Rockstar just isn't what it used to be. III/VC/SA were amazing and then IV for me personally is a masterpiece so that combined with the fact that IV and RDR had some of the best story DLC of all time just makes GTA V and modern Rockstar a disappointment.
Its a good upgrade over PS3/PS4 version. For $10 its worth it. If you played on PC maybe this upgrade isn't for you. Im enjoying it.

Corndog

Banned
I found a first comparison video between the PS4 and PS5 versions. It looks much more improved than you would think. The draw distance is hugely improved. Also, it looks like they completely changed the color grading in some scenes.

Shadows are better. Not sure about the water. Maybe I need to watch on a monitor not my phone.

MrTentakel

Hey Gaf,

I´d appreciate someone checking the texture pop in.
Get in the supercar of your choice and slam the pedal to the metal on the highway between Los Santos and Mount Chiliad. Are you still faster than the textures?

I`ll happily throw my 10€ at Rockstar if the texture pop in has been improved.

Freeman76

Damn cant use passive mode anymore as i own a nightclub. I just want to play without getting missiled in the face by a 10 year old griefer, any tips?

Thaedolus

Except it's not. It's a 1080p/30fps PS4 Remaster (which had a ton of visual improvements over the PS360 original) at 4k/30fps with RT or 1440p/60fps with RT with much better shadows, draw distances and more pedestrians / traffic. It looks phenomenal for it's age. HDR is a game changer for this game too.

Let me guess it's PC gamers mad / trolling about this rofl.
This is how I feel about it. This game barely ran on the PS360 hardware, so bad that I hardly think it counts. It was pretty good on last gen hardware, but still 30FPS.

Whatever is going on between the HDR implementation, limited ray tracing/whatever, it’s looking miles better than it ever did on PC for me. I didn’t mess around with mods or anything, and could run it at >100hz, but maybe it’s just my new TV or whatever…the game looks pretty great.

Last edited:
It’s still strange that small teams can mod the game to have better graphics than what Rockstar can do with all their talent. This is another typical example of Rockstar putting in minimal effort to make it look better.
But yeah, what do people expect, the core team is working on the next game and they probably asked some interns to make this remaster.

Can someone please explain why this game can't run at native 4K 60fps when the game was originally designed around 200 Gflop consoles? Just lazy programming?

There is no reason why this game should have a 30fps mode when the graphics haven't seen an actual overhaul.

I have played the PS5 version for a few hours now, continuing my Story mode save from the PS4 Pro and so far I am mostly happy with the new version, especially as it only cost £8.75 and now means I can play without needing to insert the PS4 disc.

I am mostly playing in the Fidelity mode at 30 fps (like Horizon: Forbidden West actually) as I find that the game feels surprisingly responsive and only suffers in comparison to the 60 fps modes when it comes to camera motion (I'm playing on an OLED TV). 60 fps does look much smoother, yes, but in terms of actual gameplay, I don't think the game feels that much better at 60 fps than 30 fps. Rockstar did a great job with maintaining a consistent locked 30 fps and combined with responsive controls makes for an enjoyable experience for me with a native 4K resolution and superb HDR lighting. Yes, the graphics do look dated in terms of modelling and some of the textures are a bit flat and low-res but overall the game shines still, thanks to excellent art direction. GTA V's world also still feels a lot better, more believable and more alive than many recent open-world games (such as *cough*Cyberpunk 2077*cough* or Watch Dog: Legions).

The RT effects are a bit disappointing though as has been the case with a few recent releases (Dying Light 2 and Cyberpunk 2077) but shadows do look more stable and less shimmery than previous versions of the game so there is a clear improvement there even if it isn't immediately obvious. Also, pop in is still very noticeable in places and the draw distance is still not long enough that it hides NPC or vehicles fadng in mid-distance. The biggest visual upgrade for GTA V was from the PS3/Xbox 360 to the PS4/Xbox One and much less going from the PS4/Xbox One version to PS5/Xbox Series X. Lighting is better, shadows are too in RT mode and the image quality is massively improved over the aliased PS4 version running at 1080p on PS5.

The only reason this game now exists on PS5/Xbox Series X though is so Rockstar can milk more money out of GTA Online from the owners of the current gen systems for a few more years yet. No more is this obvious than on the Xbox Series consoles where you can only buy GTA V + GTA Online for £17.50 or GTA Online for £8.99. You cannot buy GTA V on its own for the Story mode. Personally, I've never had any interest in GTA Online as I play GTA games for the story and characters. It is why I bought the game on PS5 rather than Xbox Series X as the GTA Online part is free on Sony's console which basically halved the price of the upgrade.

I played for a bit this morning, I don’t know how anybody could be impressed by this upgrade. Little to no effort even with a 6 month delay. Even the Dualsense features are mediocre compared to some other 3rd party games. I was expecting more, and by that I mean I wasn’t even expecting a lot, and I’m still disappointed. Rockstar sucks.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Can someone please explain why this game can't run at native 4K 60fps when the game was originally designed around 200 Gflop consoles? Just lazy programming?

There is no reason why this game should have a 30fps mode when the graphics haven't seen an actual overhaul.
Draw distance and field of view is something that takes it's toll on performance. Earlier console versions had terrible draw distance and no FoV options.

Rambone

Damn cant use passive mode anymore as i own a nightclub. I just want to play without getting missiled in the face by a 10 year old griefer, any tips?
You can still get into passive mode. You just can't have your CEO or VIP active, you'll have to leave it. Passive mode will also get disabled should you enter a vehicle with weapons and certain helicopters.

Bankai

I've been playing it for a couple of hours now and I think it's awesome.

Years ago I played and finished the game on PS3, never touched the PS4 version. So this is an awesome upgrade and it really feels like a new game.

Framerate and visuals in performance RT mode is really great. Only thing that bothers me is the uneven framepacing in cut-scenes; they look kinda jerky, don't now what's going on there. Hope they patch that, but other than that.. great stuff at launch!

Bankai

Today I tried the PS5 version of GTA:O and this is it's best (30fps) RT mode:
azWnApS.jpg

What is this? No trees, no white car I parked there, wrong/no lights from the windows of the building in RT-reflection.

Who ever said there would be RT reflections? I think it's only RT shadows, which look nice.

Kupfer

Who ever said there would be RT reflections? I think it's only RT shadows, which look nice.
Jesus. Ray tracing ≠ reflections.

literally wrong. the game has no RT reflections. it only has RT shadows

RT implementation in this game is only for specific shadows. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

the game has a reflection probe on cars creating real time cubemaps of a simplified version of the environment. (this is very common for racing games for example, almost every racing game does this for car reflections)

the reflections in GTA5 are really well made, but what you see here is basically the same as it would look on PC.

the game makes also use of really detailed planar reflections in select scenes (the car dealership's floor for example) and one of the skyscapers also had a really low resolution render to texture solution I think

Last edited:
I agree there probably should have been an upgrade path for PS4/XB1 for story mode rather than the ‘buy it again or leave it‘ model they have right now, especially on Xbox where you’re forced to pay for both even if you just want the story. But at the same time it’s a long needed update for GTAO. It had been getting too long in the tooth, especially not getting a mid-gen update. This is not an Earth shattering upgrade, but it was needed just the same, especially going forward with further updates for their online.

Last edited:

CobraAB

No one is making you or anyone buy it.

Hey Gaf,

I´d appreciate someone checking the texture pop in.
Get in the supercar of your choice and slam the pedal to the metal on the highway between Los Santos and Mount Chiliad. Are you still faster than the textures?

I`ll happily throw my 10€ at Rockstar if the texture pop in has been improved.
It hasn't, the streaming potential of the new consoles is incredible yet this game has pop in galore.

Ive compared a bunch between performance and performance rt. Shadows are in the same exact places in the two modes. Usually rt shadows will be in different locations than baked, because they're more accurate.

I've switched back and forth many times and I'm calling it now, the "rt" is bunk. We're probably going to find out it's not working ot something. If there IS some kind of RT shadows than damn, it might as well not be there because the difference is so minute that I can't find it flipping back and forth.

Anyone getting fed up with devs advertising RT only for it to basically not exist? Cyberpunk is pretty crappy as well but at least it is somewhat noticeable. There should be a minimum standar level of RT to be allowed to advertise RT.

Otherwise it's ģ

sinnergy

Ive compared a bunch between performance and performance rt. Shadows are in the same exact places in the two modes. Usually rt shadows will be in different locations than baked, because they're more accurate.

I've switched back and forth many times and I'm calling it now, the "rt" is bunk. We're probably going to find out it's not working ot something. If there IS some kind of RT shadows than damn, it might as well not be there because the difference is so minute that I can't find it flipping back and forth.

Anyone getting fed up with devs advertising RT only for it to basically not exist? Cyberpunk is pretty crappy as well but at least it is somewhat noticeable. There should be a minimum standar level of RT to be allowed to advertise RT.

Otherwise it's ģ
RT has lots of applications, if you render offline you know. Global illumination, (which basically gives you correct lighting with bounce and color transferring on materials )and shadowing, reflection and refraction. Material behavior, like energy consumption..

So yeah , RT shadowing is more unnoticeable but so are they mostly in real life .. yet they are ray-traced ..

Conclusion: RT has many applications. But most associate it with reflections, because those stand out more .

What you describe could be a bug or the devs left the shadows on in performance mode with less rays traced or some adjustments. Or they trace contact shadows which are turned off in performance mode. We need a DF video.

Last edited:

JonSnowball

Well, lets see how the molders can doing doing a game from scratch.
I don't see the relevance of the molders (sic) can doing doing (sic) a game from scratch in relation to a visual modification. Your anti-innovation stance bleeds through you like menstrual blood from an elephant bleeds through all conceivable oversized feminine sanitary products. With the attitude you possess we'd still be using punch card computers and driving cars with plate glass windshields as clearly improvement over an original product is entirely unnecessary and is best met with criticism that lacks any critical component.

With any degree of luck someone from Take-Two might stumble across you blindly defending the piss poor effort of a multi-billion dollar conglomerate and offer to pay you some sort of stipend, and if that happens I congratulate you. In the future I hope you're able to apply a little more consideration to the responses you provide on this forum, as I've done in response to you. This products only possible realistic value to a consumer is through the sale to someone who has never played Grand Theft Auto V, or is perhaps so sucked into the Online component designed to wring every cent from your pocket possible while similtaniously being held together with rubber bands and elmer's glue.

Bojji

This may be an unpopular opinion, but GTA V performance RT mode looks better than Forbidden West performance mode in motion.

This is PS3 game released 9 years ago at its core. No wonder that it can push decent resolutions on PS5/XSX.

Mjordan23

Neo Member
I have played the PS5 version for a few hours now, continuing my Story mode save from the PS4 Pro and so far I am mostly happy with the new version, especially as it only cost £8.75 and now means I can play without needing to insert the PS4 disc.

I am mostly playing in the Fidelity mode at 30 fps (like Horizon: Forbidden West actually) as I find that the game feels surprisingly responsive and only suffers in comparison to the 60 fps modes when it comes to camera motion (I'm playing on an OLED TV). 60 fps does look much smoother, yes, but in terms of actual gameplay, I don't think the game feels that much better at 60 fps than 30 fps. Rockstar did a great job with maintaining a consistent locked 30 fps and combined with responsive controls makes for an enjoyable experience for me with a native 4K resolution and superb HDR lighting. Yes, the graphics do look dated in terms of modelling and some of the textures are a bit flat and low-res but overall the game shines still, thanks to excellent art direction. GTA V's world also still feels a lot better, more believable and more alive than many recent open-world games (such as *cough*Cyberpunk 2077*cough* or Watch Dog: Legions).

The RT effects are a bit disappointing though as has been the case with a few recent releases (Dying Light 2 and Cyberpunk 2077) but shadows do look more stable and less shimmery than previous versions of the game so there is a clear improvement there even if it isn't immediately obvious. Also, pop in is still very noticeable in places and the draw distance is still not long enough that it hides NPC or vehicles fadng in mid-distance. The biggest visual upgrade for GTA V was from the PS3/Xbox 360 to the PS4/Xbox One and much less going from the PS4/Xbox One version to PS5/Xbox Series X. Lighting is better, shadows are too in RT mode and the image quality is massively improved over the aliased PS4 version running at 1080p on PS5.

The only reason this game now exists on PS5/Xbox Series X though is so Rockstar can milk more money out of GTA Online from the owners of the current gen systems for a few more years yet. No more is this obvious than on the Xbox Series consoles where you can only buy GTA V + GTA Online for £17.50 or GTA Online for £8.99. You cannot buy GTA V on its own for the Story mode. Personally, I've never had any interest in GTA Online as I play GTA games for the story and characters. It is why I bought the game on PS5 rather than Xbox Series X as the GTA Online part is free on Sony's console which basically halved the price of the upgrade.
How does the third person controls feel? On Ps3 and Ps4 they were pretty tanky and too heavy....

Top Bottom