• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto 5 PS5 Version Gameplay - Peformance RT

Three

Got until June to collect on the £9 offer, so going to wait for DF and others to do a thorough investigation.

Yes, I'm one of the few gamers that still hasn't played GTA 5.
If you haven't played it then just buy it at £9. It's definitely worth it no matter what DF says. The game is great and polished. The DF thing is more for those trying to figure out if the upgrades are worth it but since you haven't played it it's a great game for £9 regardless of what DF says.

Last edited:
Can someone please explain why this game can't run at native 4K 60fps when the game was originally designed around 200 Gflop consoles? Just lazy programming?

There is no reason why this game should have a 30fps mode when the graphics haven't seen an actual overhaul.
First you have to remember the game on PS3 regularly runs at ~15fps, so from that it's like a 4x improvement in framerate. Then the the assets, lighting have being completely remastered + very nice RT shadows. Can you imagine how low it would run on PS3 if it had ray traced shadows?

Currently the game on consoles is incredibly stable, basically locked 60fps on PS5 (in my experience) which means it could probably run quite higher (res or framerate).

How many big and complex open world, and we are talking about one of the biggest and most complex open world ever, on console have RT (even shadows) enabled at stable 1440p 60fps? There is only one : Spiderman Miles Morales on PS5. But the open world is much less complex in this instance.

Last edited:

Three

Can someone please explain why this game can't run at native 4K 60fps when the game was originally designed around 200 Gflop consoles? Just lazy programming?

There is no reason why this game should have a 30fps mode when the graphics haven't seen an actual overhaul.
It was running at <720p 30fps on PS3/360. The graphics are much better now in 30fps mode but it's still the same engine. It would be nice to see a comparison actually.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i could see the difference between PS3 + PS4 but not PS4 to PS5.

i'm looking forward to the PC upgrade next year (not that i'm buying it). should be able to get better raytracing and loading times than found on a PS5 :messenger_savoring:

I'm surprised that this game doesn't also have a Fidelity non-RT mode running at 1800p or even 4K and 60 fps. This would compliment the

i'm looking forward to the PC upgrade next year (not that i'm buying it). should be able to get better raytracing and loading times than found on a PS5 :messenger_savoring:

GTA V was massively enhanced from PS3 to PS4 in terms of details, textures and geometry plus the resolution was bumped up from 720p to 1080p. The improvements going from PS4 to PS5 are admittedly less obvious; resolution is now increased to 4K albeit still at 30 fps but the main improvement other than the addition of 60 fps modes (at sub-4K resolutions) is the ray-traced shadows which reduce the shimmery/glitchy looking ones of the previous gen versions and even the PC. Also, I swear that the controls feel more responsive in the 30 fps mode, although it may just be placebo. I can see that 60 fps is smoother in motion but, honestly, I find the game plays fine at 30 fps and that the gameplay doesn't really benefit from the doubled framerate that much, in my humble opinion, not like other games. I mean I generally dislike playing 30 fps games on consoles now since getting the PS5 where most games have a 60 fps option but GTA V feels perfectly playable for me at 4K and 30 fps (as does Horizon: Forbidden West too).

Personally, I am finding the bump up to 4K from 1080p and the RT shadows more than worth it for the £8.75 the new version cost. Oh and I no longer need the PS4 disc so that's nice too (if this was an upgrade patch for the PS4 version then that would not have been the case).

Last edited:

Bojji

With that reasoning Forbidden West is a last gen game that looks sub full HD on PS5 performance mode.

It looks better than 1080p games (like GotG) for sure. But Horizon is at least generation 8 game, uses PS5 extra RAM for massive texture data and loads super fast actually using console dedicated hardware for that.

IQ should be better I don't doubt that, they should ask Insomniac how to achieve that.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

After colossal disappointment from Rockstar I decided to actually install this little mod and OMG it's glorious. I'm amazed that a 9 year old game can look this good. Few screenshots that I took:

8TorbXv.jpg

0UOdcf5.jpg

IKAuSQE.jpg

FsILZIt.jpg

6Ap2lYS.jpg

gXuAZtR.jpg

MrTentakel

I folded and bought it again (again,again,again,again) for my PS5 ... I`m officially part of the problem now.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Watching this again with glorious RT makes me puke for how shit this game plays. It felt outdated back in PS3 with that full-diaper feel you get from moving around with those drunk characters and the funny bullet sounds.

DJ12

Series X cannot be that bad, I would guess its fixed res and maybe dynamic on ps5 due to the VRR crutch offered on xbox.

If the res is the same on both, oh my....

On Demand

Banned
I found a first comparison video between the PS4 and PS5 versions. It looks much more improved than you would think. The draw distance is hugely improved. Also, it looks like they completely changed the color grading in some scenes.

No clouds in the sky and the haze effects have been removed in PS5 version.

Leyasu

Banned
Series X cannot be that bad, I would guess its fixed res and maybe dynamic on ps5 due to the VRR crutch offered on xbox.

If the res is the same on both, oh my....
It is. The frame rate is laughable.

VRR ain’t saving it either lol

Shmunter

Man, playing this on first person mode riding a muscle car with my headlights out chasing down a bike in the canyon at 60fps in ps5 is a fucking thrill. Completely different experience when you play in first person. Really enjoying it.

Here’s a clip:

You forgot your headlights

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Man, playing this on first person mode riding a muscle car with my headlights out chasing down a bike in the canyon at 60fps in ps5 is a fucking thrill. Completely different experience when you play in first person. Really enjoying it.

Here’s a clip:

that NPC car crash is the reason why i love rockstar games. you never see that kind of NPC simulation in other games.

Here’s a clip:

In my opinion first person is the best way to play it. Same with rdrii, immersive af.

Connxtion

Anyone noticed the RT shadows don’t move in real-time? They jump position after a certain amount of time 🤔 where the performance mode ones do.

Anyone noticed the RT shadows don’t move in real-time? They jump position after a certain amount of time 🤔 where the performance mode ones do.
All modes ‘jump’ with the Sun. The RT mode just has a kind of weird slow shadow crawl to catch up to the suns shadow, while the other sorta hitches into place. It’s actually the in-game Sun‘s movement in game that causes it. The Sun’s position updates position regularly but it basically moves smoothly, stops, moves smoothly again, stops etc. it’s subtle but it’s not something that would work very well with raytaced shadows on the ground where it would stick out like a sore thumb.

They basically modified it where the light source is coming in a slightly different way to the Sun itself to make it smoother viewing the shadows on the ground when it does move, it’s still ’real time’….It’s the Sun that isn’t.

Last edited:

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022

I use performance ray tracing mode and see huge differences:

-60 FPS. Makes the game run much much smoother.
-Resolution is much sharper. You will only notice this if you have a 4k tv and sit at a proper distance. If you have a 1080p tv or you have a 42 inch 4ktv and sit 8 feet away you wont' notice a difference. I have a 55 inch 4k set and sit about 6 feet from my tv. It is a much sharper and even can see more density when comparing ps4 and ps5 versions.
-Lighting is much improved as well!

The single reason to buy it again is the improved load times. The single worth thing about GTA 5 and GTA Online on ps4/ps3 were the horrendous load times. The load times make this a much smoother experience. It's $10, I spend more than that late night at Mickey D's with the munchies!

The running feels horrible.

I guess I should have known that since I bought the game 3 times. And played the first 5 levels like 20 times and never get pass that.

Areba21

Neo Member
No GI from what I’ve seen. I haven’t seen any RT reflections, if there are any it would probably just be with the changing room mirror and that’s it.

The RT shadows though are noticeably less glitchy than PC version especially on close up shots of characters, and in certain scenes it really does improve the shading a lot:

At around 7:20 with the girl on the beach, the girl has noticeably improved self shading and the sand castle in the background by comparison doesn’t look like it has any shading at all on PC. And some GTA 5 cheats here for PS4. It’s minor in the grand scheme of things image-wise but it’s still an improvement.

I'm hoping for some guidance on a problem, please! I'm unable to participate!

I transferred my character over and discovered that I could create a new character in an empty slot before playing it. So I went through the motions of deciding on a criminal career, but I didn't complete the process. I attempted to exit and return, however this resulted in my joining a server, and the game is now severely glitched. When I try to join the GTA Online mode, it always gets stuck on the black loading screen. Is there a way to revert back to my PS4 character? Although it appeared to be overwritten, it did say empty slot. As a result, I'm no longer able to play it.

I'm hoping for some guidance on a problem, please! I'm unable to participate!

I transferred my character over and discovered that I could create a new character in an empty slot before playing it. So I went through the motions of deciding on a criminal career, but I didn't complete the process. I attempted to exit and return, however this resulted in my joining a server, and the game is now severely glitched. When I try to join the GTA Online mode, it always gets stuck on the black loading screen. Is there a way to revert back to my PS4 character? Although it appeared to be overwritten, it did say empty slot. As a result, I'm no longer able to play it.
I think the PSN servers were having trouble yesterday. It might be back to normal now.

I played this for a bit the other day in performance RT, the reflections on the ground from building lights when it’s raining flicker like crazy when you drive, looks terrible and is so distracting, hopefully they sort it out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom