• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto Community Update Updates to The Contract, New Details on GTAV for PS5 and Xbox Series X|S, and More

Kokoloko85

I love how you have to really scrape the bottom of the barrel, even reach back as far as a decade ago or list a game Microsoft actually helped with developing, to come up with an example of Xbox actively moneyhatting.

Did you love it or did it hurt your feelings? Not much scraping its just facts To help the fools who think only Playstation is the only one with timed exclusives. It what came to my head first, I can list more if you want me to?

O I didnt realise Microsoft helped with developing Yakuza 7 or the Medium…? Stalker 2? I “Love” how people have make shit up to fit their narrative And help their feelings.

My point was morons keep saying Playstation money hats (which if you read, Moneyhat its not about just paying for timed exclusives)
But Xbox did it with DLC from over a decade ago AND also as recent as Last Year with games. Its ok, Nintendo and Playstation do it too

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Jim Ryan's timehats are legendary. He tried to moneyhat Starfield and it blew up in his face.

I can definitely see MS saying fuck it and buy Take2 out right to prevent future GTA exclusivity.

This moron has already lost the biggest FPS and the biggest WRPG studio. Cant wait to see him screw PS owners by losing GTA as well.

Wow, you really don't know how these things work, do you?

Bethesda most likely started signing off these timed exclusivities following the Fallout 76 flop as a way to try to sustain the company without having to lay off any employees until the launch of Starfield, their next major tentpole release that was set to pay the bills for the company as a whole and compensate the underperforming results of recent Arkane, Machine Games, Tango and idSoftware projects.

Then, when Sony and Bethesda were in the middle of negotiating the timed exclusivities for Starfield (2021) and The Elder Scrolls VI (as well as around when Microsoft, on their end, were sniffing around Zenimax), Covid hits and the development schedule of Starfield gets fucked big time, with the title getting pushed far back into 2022. To take Sony's money and try to survive until then would've been too big of a gamble for them, so instead they decided to accept Microsoft's offer and sell the entire company. Zenimax's CEO and I believe co-owner at the time was also very old (and ended up passing away in early 2021), so that may have factored into his decision making as well.

Maybe if you used your brain and stopped thinking like a dumb fuck console warrior you could see that this reasoning is much more grounded in reality and makes much more sense than just blaming Jim Ryan without any solid arguments to back that up.

P.S. and he didn't lose the biggest FPS, like, Sony Corporation wouldn't have had any way to prevent a 70 billion acquisition from happening.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Wow, you really don't know how these things work, do you?

Bethesda most likely started signing off these timed exclusivities following the Fallout 76 flop as a way to try to sustain the company without having to lay off any employees until the launch of Starfield, their next major tentpole release that was set to pay the bills for the company as a whole and compensate the underperforming results of recent Arkane, Machine Games, Tango and idSoftware projects.

Then, when Sony and Bethesda were in the middle of negotiating the timed exclusivities for Starfield (2021) and The Elder Scrolls VI (as well as around when Microsoft, on their end, were sniffing around Zenimax), Covid hits and the development schedule of Starfield gets fucked big time, with the title getting pushed far back into 2022. To take Sony's money and try to survive until then would've been too big of a gamble for them, so instead they decided to accept Microsoft's offer and sell the entire company. Zenimax's CEO and I believe co-owner at the time was also very old (and ended up passing away in early 2021), so that may have factored into his decision making as well.
Lmao you just made up all that shit just to defend moneyhatting and I’m the console warrior? Get a grip.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Lmao you just made up all that shit just to defend moneyhatting and I’m the console warrior? Get a grip.
I didn't made any of this up you moron. Unlike you, I do my research and actively try to remain in the know about the topics I usually like to discuss about.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I didn't made any of this up you moron. Unlike you, I do my research and actively try to remain in the know about the topics I usually like to discuss about.
michael-jordan-laughing.gif

Gotta love the depth fanboys would go to defend a fucking suit, and an anti-consumer practice. You are the worst kind of fanboy. You defend anti-consumer practices and then have the gal to call others fanboys. You resort to using someone's fucking death in order to defend your favorite suit, and call other morons and dumb fucks. You concocted in your head this whole story about covid affecting starfield, zenimax needing a few million dollars to fucking survive, and then finally accepting Microsoft's $8 billion offer because one of the poor owners was on his death bed. You sir, are fucking delusional to the point you are inventing stories in your head all to defend a practice that has always been considered anti-consumer. By everyone ranging from MS, Sony and Nintendo fanboys.

By your logic, when Sony bought 1 month Modern Warfare 2's remastered exclusivity, it was to save Activision from covid. You know the company that made $2 billion in profit in the covid year?
By your logic, when Sony bought this GTA exclusive, they were only trying to help Take2 survive because lord knows a company that sold 150 million copies of GTA5 and makes billions off GTA online every year needed Jim Ryan's money to survive this great pandemic. Oh wait, didnt they just buy Zynga for $12 billion. They must have been hurting for cash. Thank god for Jim Ryan.
By your logic, when Phil bought Rise of Tomb Raider, he must have been helping them survive the great pandemic of 2015. I remember getting a really bad flu that year.

Your entire post is laughable.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Jim Ryan's timehats are legendary. He tried to moneyhat Starfield and it blew up in his face.

I can definitely see MS saying fuck it and buy Take2 out right to prevent future GTA exclusivity.

This moron has already lost the biggest FPS and the biggest WRPG studio. Cant wait to see him screw PS owners by losing GTA as well.

Please don't tell me you really believe it works like that. It's idiotic.

Bad guy Jimbo bought timed exclusivity so good guy Phil bought permanent exclusivity. Happy end. Phil is our Lord and Saviour.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Timed exclusivity is such a joke. Playing these games "early" should be re-branded as "beta" test, from now on. Most games aren't fully cooked at launch anyway.

No you misunderstand, its just what I think.

Sony have had promotions with GTA for a while.

However I could also see Microsoft pursuing it aswell, they would not want to lose GTA6, even for a short time period.
I understand that. Those were past deals though. If you’ve been watching Phil and Strauss have been buddying up. Strauss knew the GP figures months before they were revealed. Also u saw GTA SA remake launch day n date on GP.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a timed exclusive deal from Xbox or a Day n Day GP launch of GTA6

ChiefDada

Gold Member
This will NEVER happen! It'll probably cost over $1 Billion to make happen and imo that's NOT worth it!!

I don't think it's that expensive.

Let's imagine the cost of a 6 month exclusivity deal amounted to 6 month lost sales from Xbox Series X|S players.

If SeX|S hypothetically reached 50 million units by the time GTA 6 arrives, and 20% of them purchased GTA 6 within 6 months, that's just under $500m in revenue, assuming 70% publisher share (50m units x 20% attach rate x $70 game price x 70% publisher = $490m). This is why Sony has benefited from these sorts of deals in the past; a larger install base results in relatively cheaper timed exclusivity deals. However, if recent sales trends between consoles continue long-term (I personally don't think it will), then these deals become more expensive for Sony.

I understand business is business, but as a gamer I feel these types of deals for such a widely beloved franchise with long periods between installations is simply bad for the culture and community as a whole.

mckmas8808

Banned
I don't think it's that expensive.

Let's imagine the cost of a 6 month exclusivity deal amounted to 6 month lost sales from Xbox Series X|S players.

If SeX|S hypothetically reached 50 million units by the time GTA 6 arrives, and 20% of them purchased GTA 6 within 6 months, that's just under $500m in revenue, assuming 70% publisher share (50m units x 20% attach rate x $70 game price x 70% publisher = $490m). This is why Sony has benefited from these sorts of deals in the past; a larger install base results in relatively cheaper timed exclusivity deals. However, if recent sales trends between consoles continue long-term (I personally don't think it will), then these deals become more expensive for Sony.

I understand business is business, but as a gamer I feel these types of deals for such a widely beloved franchise with long periods between installations is simply bad for the culture and community as a whole.

I think Sony will have to pay a premium on top of the lost sells for Xbox. Like a 20% tax, just for potentially pissing off the Xbox fanbase. So add 20-30% on top of that $490 million.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I think Sony will have to pay a premium on top of the lost sells for Xbox. Like a 20% tax, just for potentially pissing off the Xbox fanbase. So add 20-30% on top of that $490 million.

No way, not a dime more. Those numbers were already extremely conservative to illustrate my point. 50 million units by 2024 is unlikely and a 20% attach rate achieved within 6 months for any title on any console is pure fantasy. Also, why would Rockstar charge Sony for potentially upset Xbox players? If roles were reversed, I would bitch and moan for 6 months and then get over it when I finally get to purchase the game.

But as I think more on it, it would better for both Microsoft and the gaming community as a whole if they were able to make a deal to get the GTA VI campaign on game pass.

yurinka

they never said it was free for the first few months
Yes, the same day that Sony and Rockstar announced that a next gen version was coming they said that on PS Plus was going to be free during 3 months and that until release PS4 users were going to get $1M of GTA Online money every month.

What is stopping Microsoft from buying a copy for any Xbox owner who wants it and giving it to them for free?
Pretty likely the contract of this deal. The exclusivity and marketing deals require to avoid doing the same in other platforms.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Just been playing GTA online now and fuck, its dated as hell, its to old u can really feel its 360/ps3 roots, I dont think 4k 60fps can really help it that much.

God I hate modern R*, there management is creativly bankrupt.

mckmas8808

Banned
No way, not a dime more. Those numbers were already extremely conservative to illustrate my point. 50 million units by 2024 is unlikely and a 20% attach rate achieved within 6 months for any title on any console is pure fantasy. Also, why would Rockstar charge Sony for potentially upset Xbox players? If roles were reversed, I would bitch and moan for 6 months and then get over it when I finally get to purchase the game.

But as I think more on it, it would better for both Microsoft and the gaming community as a whole if they were able to make a deal to get the GTA VI campaign on game pass.

The bolded is why Sony would also need to pay $1 Billion for a 6 month exclusivity.

Perrott

Gold Member
michael-jordan-laughing.gif

Gotta love the depth fanboys would go to defend a fucking suit, and an anti-consumer practice. You are the worst kind of fanboy. You defend anti-consumer practices and then have the gal to call others fanboys. You resort to using someone's fucking death in order to defend your favorite suit, and call other morons and dumb fucks. You concocted in your head this whole story about covid affecting starfield, zenimax needing a few million dollars to fucking survive, and then finally accepting Microsoft's $8 billion offer because one of the poor owners was on his death bed. You sir, are fucking delusional to the point you are inventing stories in your head all to defend a practice that has always been considered anti-consumer. By everyone ranging from MS, Sony and Nintendo fanboys.

By your logic, when Sony bought 1 month Modern Warfare 2's remastered exclusivity, it was to save Activision from covid. You know the company that made $2 billion in profit in the covid year?
By your logic, when Sony bought this GTA exclusive, they were only trying to help Take2 survive because lord knows a company that sold 150 million copies of GTA5 and makes billions off GTA online every year needed Jim Ryan's money to survive this great pandemic. Oh wait, didnt they just buy Zynga for $12 billion. They must have been hurting for cash. Thank god for Jim Ryan.
By your logic, when Phil bought Rise of Tomb Raider, he must have been helping them survive the great pandemic of 2015. I remember getting a really bad flu that year.

Your entire post is laughable.
Sony themselves didn't bought any sort of exclusivity for the Modern Warfare remasters. Several years ago Sony entered an agreement per which they would co-fund the development of the MW remasters, hence why their platform got to enjoy an exclusivity period in exchange for the development support. A simple deal between two companies, not some "charity to help out Activision". Do your research, you ignorant fuck.

If you want to have a debate, come at me with some hard ass facts, because if all you've got are a couple of gifs and sarcasm, you can fuck the hell off already. Toxic, nonsensical people like you are poison to any internet forums, and proof of that is how no one fucking stands you around here.

Last edited:

GinSama

Any news about if someone has last gen version still needs to pay full retail price for the ps5/seriesX version?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Well I'm shocked the world's slowest development team will have this ready for launch. But someone needs to explain why, a month before launch, no real trailer? Scary.

Top Bottom